“Satisfactory but not Brilliant”

Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hollingbourne
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Not quite as nice as you would think from the pictures but the hotel was clean and the front desk staff very friendly. Access to the Health Club is nice with the pool but the cardio and exercise equipment could have been of better quality. The hotel restaurant was nice, clean, with live music and the food acceptable but not great.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear PSC1971
Thank you for your review and I appreciate all your comments which have been noted.
I am pleased you enjoyed the restaurant experience where live music is featured most weekends.
We hope to welcome you back again at some point in the future.
Dominic

Write a ReviewReviews (1,173)

Reviewed May 30, 2013

We had an unrivalled experience at Maidstone Great Danes. The staff were wonderful and the hotel was spotless. If you needed anything the staff were very helpful. Beautiful atmosphere and we were lucky enough to have some sunshine so enjoyed the beautiful green view. We even had a few peacocks visit our table and they must have come from the grounds of the nearby Leeds Castle. I highly recommend staying here especially with children. My son enjoyed the swimming and all the open space.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank RKahlon
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear RKahlon
Thank you very much for your positive review.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here for one night on the bank holiday sunday. We had booked via booking.com and had a really good deal.
Arrived about 14.30pm and were able to check into the room. This was small but clean, but we were only there one night and that did not matter. The bed was comfortable and the curtains were very dark which stopped the light coming in.
I believe some of the hotel has been refurbed and in places, more is required- e.g. swimming pool, sauna etc- however we used these facilities twice, and were nice enough.
We also ate in the restaurant, our waitress Vicky was very friendly and helpful, and the food was nice too (good price as the taste card was also accepted).
We only live down the road, but we chose to stay here just for a chilled bank holiday weekend, we definitely relaxed and felt like we were miles away from home. The grounds are lovely and it was lovely to be able to sit outside and watch the peacocks. Would definitely recommend, especially when getting such a good deal.
Only small gripe was we ordered a paper for the morning and this was not delivered.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear Amanda S
Thank you very much for your review.
I was pleased you found time to relax and enjoy some of the many leisure facilities on offer here.
Thank you for your comments about the team, I will be sure to pass your compliment on to Vicky.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Looking for a otel close to the Tunnel and could not believe my eyes when I saw £55 for a night advertised and snapped up a twin room. I did not fancy, correctly, my chances of arriving at Eurotunnel at any specific time from a medical appointment in the North on a pre-bank holiday Friday.

We were checked in and was told we had been given a easy access room and the first problem was the disabled lift down to get to the lift was not working meaning a walk out and around which was probably easier anyway. Surely a ramp which cannot breakdown is a cheap and efficient alternative to a mechanised lift for four steps?

We found that we had been allocated a 3rd floor room which is somewhat strange had there been an emergency and, also, it was a double not a twin.

The room was comfortable and my wife thought, and she is an expert, the pillows were the best she has had in a hotel. The view was wonderful but the road noise was not blocked out by the double glazing and was made worse when we had to open a window as there was no air con.

I went down to get myself a drink and decided that, due to the long journey and the overloud music in the bar/restaurant, it would be better for my wife if we stayed in the room and had room service which was more than adequate and the soup homemade.

Wifi was free but slow and £4 for an hour or double for 24 hours. The free allowed me to check four emails and reply briefly to two and, when I then disconnected, I could not reconnect later as I had used my allotted time!!

Express check out option was refused but the bill arrived including two breakfasts at 27.50 anyway! The receptionist was very kind and indicated that this was always happening and some people did not even notice!!!!

Make sure you get a room not facing the road and beware, the room price may be cheap but nothing else is and check your bill!!

Room Tip: Room away from road and watch the bill for "errors"

Dear Ustaritz
Thank you for your review. We appreciate any feedback which will allow us to monitor and improve our service and standards and I have carefully noted your comments.
We do have bargains from time to time and I am pleased you booked with us on your journey to Eurotunnel. I was very concerned about the breakfast charges which should not have been added to your account. We will pick-up the areas of additional training identified for the team and I thank you for pointing this out.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Location very good.. Service from eating area and bar was great.Very good value for money. Room could have been a bit cleaner (did miss having no biscuits and bottled water in room, which i thought was a nice touch. The pitch and putt must get missed out alot, by lack of signs, There is a outdoor chess game, which unless you use the pool would not know it was there, Apart from that really enjoyed our break :) :)

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Deborah741
Thank you very much for your review, I have carefully noted your comments.
The Privilege or Superior rooms have all the extras and are well worth the upgrade next time. There is something for everyone here with extensive leisure as well as table tennis, a well stocked fishing lake, trim track and more - too much for one visit!
I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed here for one night. Gave me a room at the back - huge but soul-less - could have put up with that but as a female travelling alone this room had a fire escape right outside the bedroom window, with a platform for easy acess to the room! The locks on the windows to prevent someone coming in were all broken and therefore you could get into the room from the platform very easily. I would have been unable to sleep all night so I changed room. This one was small but much better apart from the fact it was so cold I slept in my clothes all night.

Service in the restaurant was non existent and the food mediocre - I left something behind in the hotel and phoned them to ask if they would return it, they said someone from housekeeping would ring me the next day, they never, I phoned again on the evening and spoke to the manager who said the housekeeper would phone me the next day, they never, I phoned again the next day and eventually got to speak to the housekeeper who said she will post the item but can't get to the post office until 2 days time - this is ok - if they do what they say - so far they haven't, I wouldn't want to stay here again it wasn't very enjoyable at all.

Room Tip: Don't have room 1000, dangerous for females on their own and don't have 218 you will freeze.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Vickyhotelguru
Thank you for your review. We have a good selection of rooms and will offer alternatives whenever possible. The heating can be controlled in each room and all bedrooms are fitted with digital door locks, deadlocks and chains for added security. Many regular guests prefer the 000 rooms as they are quiet overlooking the rear grounds and very spacious. The fire exit can only be opened from within and I am sorry you felt in anyway vulnerable.
I gather your lost property has been returned and apologise for any delay.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

I attended a wedding at this hotel in 1984 and whilst I'm sure it has been decorated since, it was hard to tell! That said, the staff are first class, polite, cheerful, efficient and helpful, a very rare commodity these days. The room itself was fine, if a little tired. Bed was comfortable and bathroom was functional and very clean with a good selection of toiletries. Unfortunately, soundproofing wasn't great and the people upstairs appeared to be line dancing and peeing alternately! If I stayed again I would definitely ask for a top floor room. I think some rooms have a pleasant view but mine over looked a huge flat roof which was very uninspiring. By far the worst thing about this hotel is the Spa which I can only describe as totally disgusting. It is part of the Sebastian Coe Health Club Group and he should be ashamed to put his name to it given his sporting background. Paint peeling off the ceilings, damp and mould everywhere, filthy grids around the jacuzzi and the swimming pool temperature was like a hot bath with the water looking slightly murky. To summarise, I booked this at a bargain rate (£55 through Agoda) and for that price it's OK but much higher and I'd rather stay elsewhere. If you do stay, don't bother bringing a swimsuit!

Room Tip: Choose a top floor room facing away from car park.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear nat
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you found the team first class and the bedroom and bathroom comfortable and clean. I am sorry you did not feel the same standard continued into the club and I will pick these points up and take action directly where required.
Dominic

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hollingbourne
Tudor Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Travelodge Maidstone Central
Travelodge Maidstone Central
#11 of 17 in Maidstone
Mercure Dartford Brands Hatch Hotel & Spa

Been to Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel? Share your experiences!