“Excellent spa, poor food, disappointed.”

Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hollingbourne
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband paid as a suprise for a twilight package for Valentine's day. It included a treatment at the spa, time in the spa area and one course meal.

The ladies at the spa were fantastic, everything aimed at us relaxing. We both chose the hot stones massage and scalp massage which were amazing! So so relaxing and I cannot fault the spa ladies at all. Perfect! The swimming pool, jacuzzi and steam room just added to the relaxation very nice and clean.

We chose the food from a menu before hand. We left the spa and went into the restaurant to be welcomed by a singer, we both thought we were in for a treat. We were shown to a table which was all set up with valentines day in mind. We were offered to chose the starter. Which we did but 15 mins later we were told that my choice was not available and had to chose something else which was very tasty. Another table was seated and served their starters before we were served ours. We thought harmless mistake. Then I discovered 2 pieces of cutlery were dirty. One was never replaced. The main course came out. Mine was a huge disappointment. I had Chinese noodles with beef which tasted like it was cooked when we ordered it before the treatments. Beef was over cooked and had the texture of stewing steak, a lot of connective tissue and grissle. The noodles were so full of soy sauce that I couldn't eat it without drinking all of my lemonade. Needless to say I left half of it. My husbands tuna apparently had an old taste. Then they had the cheek to add the service automatically! The waiter also seemed so put out that he had to go to the bar to get the card machine to pay that we actually got up to go to the bar with him.

My husband has sent email about our experience but we are yet to have a response.

Overall spa was excellent and would definitely return but I would never return to the restaurant and have advised friends and family not to go there.

• Stayed: February 2013
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Cupcakejin

Thank you for your review, we welcome all feedback which will allow us to monitor and improve our service and standards.

I am pleased you enjoyed the spa experience and the hot stone treatments.

I am sorry that we did not deliver the meal to your satisfaction and apologise for any disappointment. I have discussed the points raised with the head chef and although this was a busy evening, there can be no excuse for the shortcomings you experienced and I hope to contact you from the feedback you mention elsewhere.

Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Our 2 night stay was quite dissapointing, i would recomend this hotel, the pillows and matress were too soft and meant our "relaxing break" left me suffering with a stiff neck and feeling tired, we also had a cold night as there was no heating in the room. Looking forward to using the spa was a highlight however we were not provided with robes and had to walk from our room to the spa in a towel.
Overall this place was overpriced for the service provided and i wouldnt recomend it.

• Stayed: February 2013
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear Rebecca
Thank you for your review, we welcome any feedback which will allow us to monitor and improve our service and standards.

We have a choice of pillows which are available on request and the heating can be controlled independently in each room. I am sorry you did not bring this to our attention during your stay and that you had an uncomfortable sleep.

May I recommend a superior room if you visit us again where robes are provided and I am sorry that you felt the service was lacking in any way.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

nice swimmingpool very clean,staff very helpfull.restaurant was ok,when we had dinner it was very cold in the dining area.the food was served on a slate roof tile but we asked for plates.the food was not value for money and the waiter didnt speak english.room very clean,bathroom was dirty,cleaners need to pay a bit more attention here,we was in room 124.got to sleep about 02.30am as we could here next door talking and banging about,because of this we didnt feel refreshed in the morning.

Room Tip: be prepared for a bad nights sleep.walls are paper thin in the bedrooms.good luck
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Dear guest

Thank you for your review, I am pleased you had a good time, enjoyed the pool and found the hotel clean.

We aim to offer good value for money and regularly check our prices to ensure we remain competitive.

I apologise that your sleep was disturbed by inconsiderate guests and have noted your other comments, which we will address where we can.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Recently stayed here for an evening function. The hotel is clean and has a pleasant feel on arrival. The check-in quick and staff aimiable. Rooms on the small side but adequate for a one night stay. The function room is large and well equipped and I thought the staff did a marvellous job serving about 325 people. An excellent evening all round. Entertainment was also excellent although I don't know if this is down to the hotel or private individuals! Only one adverse comment - it was a long walk to our room and rather confusingly signed. Do make sure you take everything that is required for the evening or day out or you could spend a great deal of time and energy going backwards and forwards. Lucky people who had rooms near the stairs or elevator. All in all, though, I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room near elevator or stairs
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Micky50790

Thank you for your positive review.

We welcome any feedback which will allow us to monitor and improve our service or standards.

Your comments are appreciated, have been noted and will be shared with the team.

We do have a number of different bedroom types and sizes and we are always pleased to offer an alternative where possible.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Taking a short break in Kent for the weekend, we thought we would make use of an offer we found on the Accor hotel site. The website of the hotel took their photos from all the best possible angles, and we couldn't see the same hotel on arrival but at least the welcome was friendly. The room was clean and a good size. Large, comfortable bed and good shower/bathroom. Plus for us was free wifi and easy access to Maidstone for dinner and countryside parks for winter walks. The downside was a wedding party with loud music till midnight, and the need to keep the window closed to keep up the noise. It would have been nice to have been advised on checkin and perhaps allocated a room facing our wards rather than just above the party.

Room Tip: Ask for for rear facing room and perhaps 2nd floor or higher?
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LondonMatt75
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Dear London Matt 75
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you were able to use the Free wifi which now extends throughout the hotel.

We encourage any feedback which will allow us to monitor and improve our service and I am pleased you enjoyed the comfortable bed and the warm welcome.

I am sorry that we did not mention a wedding party when you were checking-in, but we will always try to avoid any disruption when allocating rooms.

Best wishes

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Although the room was smaller than a premier inn it was better. Everything you needed in the room and a good restaurant on site and a leisure centre and pool fot £10 less than the nearest Premier Inn. Lovely staff in the bar/restaurant, very helpful and friendly. Cant really think of a negative other than the size of the room and they cannot do much about that!

Room Tip: Huge number of rooms and many staircases so if you have mobility problems let them know when you boo...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear FOB Haitch
Thank you for your review. I was pleased you were able to benefit from one of our great value deals and delighted you found the team friendly and helpful too.

We do have various bedroom types and sizes and I would recommend a superior room if you need more space next time. We are always happy to offer an alternative, whenever possible.

I am pleased you enjoyed the pool and hope you found time to use some of the other leisure facilities.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

If you don't want to eat food that is nearly off and tin tomatoes blitzed as fresh tomato soup and wine served up by the glass as something else with, no reapir kit, cotton buds, make up remover pads or shower cap in the room then don't stay here. A request for more tea bags and milk ended up with noraml t bags (no wrappers and a jug of milk sent up to room). Also a charge for 250ml bottle of water for £2.00 per bottle.No fridge in room.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kim S
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear Kim
Thank you for your review.

We welcome any feedback which will allow us to monitor our standards and service and I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

Our new Spring Brasserie menu is available this week and all food is freshly prepared to order.

We hold a full selection of items such as toothpaste, shaving and vanity kits as well as the selection of toiletries in each room and will deliver these free at any time.

We want to offer good value for money and all prices are checked regularly.

I hope we will get the opportunity to restore your confidence in the Mercure Maidstone Hotel in the future.

Dominic

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hollingbourne
Mercure Tunbridge Wells
#5 of 17 in Maidstone
The Black Horse Inn
The Black Horse Inn
#1 of 1 in Thurnham

Been to Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel? Share your experiences!