“Mercure” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hollingbourne
London, United Kingdom
“Mercure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

I stay here on a regular basis and can honestly say one of the best hotels in its price range. Comfortable beds and rooms. Well appointed. Friendly and attentive staff. Could do with a earlier opening time of restaurant for breakfast perhaps 30 mins earlier? Also, put black pudding back on the breakfast menu! It does at ties get inundated with elderly coach parties who take up time at the bar so get there before them!

Room Tip: Rooms on south side are quieter
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear oldbags 186338
Thank you very much for your review. It is great to hear from a regular guest and your feedback is noted and much appreciated.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Enfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Hotel is an old mansion which has been extended. Great location and excellent grounds, also brilliant Spa Centre.
We were a large group (70+) but some of the rooms weren't ready until after 4p.m., (they knew we were arriving for lunch), also long wait to buy drinks from bar - not enough staff to cope.
Although the food was good, it was only lukewarm when served not hot, as it should have been, similarly coffees etc. bought at the bar.
The staff were friendly and courteous but there needed to be more considering the hotel was full and they were also catering for a wedding function.
Some of the paintwork was badly chipped in my room but I understand they are in the process of redecorating.
Would I stay there again? Yes but I would definitely complain if I was served food that wasn't pipng hot..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear SatisfiedVisitor_PW
Thank you for your review, I am pleased you found the team friendly and courteous and apologise that there were not enough of us during your visit. We successfully host many such events and I am sorry we kept you waiting on this occasion. The food temperatures are regularly probed to ensure they are within the required limits and we would be more than happy to replace any food or drinks which are not to your liking. We have a continuous painting programme and all bedrooms are checked on a regular basis. I will liaise with the housekeeper and ensure we pick-up any recent damage or redecorate as required and thank you for pointing this out.
Zurich, Switzerland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

The Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel looks like a winner, can't do much wrong - a safe bet. Especially when you're there the second time and you know you have to avoid the very small rooms and book a suite. Exactly what we have done. But what happened?

Already upon arrival the lady at the reception was just bored, after she has been away for minutes leaving the desk unattended. OK, here she is, unfriendly, talking of welcome, when all over her face the opposite is written. I ask for a luggage trolley, to which she points, "over there in the corner" - where there is nothing. OK, she needs an extra effort, goes way, comes back with the trolley and merely throws it in front of my feet. Unacceptable. I ask for staff to help with the baggage. This works. Two young people jump suddenly into the scene and take whatever they can. Amazing...

The suite looks good, first impression is OK - a lot of space. But - and in such moment there always seem to be a BUT. The bathroom is not prepared, only towels for one person. OK, we take the missing pieces out of the cupboard. After a 600 km journey one first visits is to the toilet. It flushes, but does fill up the tank. We wait. And wait. And try again. A tiny bit of water seems to run into the tank. After 20 minutes, still no flushing possible. I ring the reception. Again the lady. She will send someone. Another 20 minutes pass, nothing happens. I go to the reception personally, where she is still bored. I insist of sending a plumber or technician. She says she has paged him and she will do it again. I want to have a concrete answer, which she can't give. 10 minutes later one of the persons that helped with the baggage and we go back to the suite together. He had a look and confirmed that it's not working. OK. And now? There is nothing he can do....

Do I have to give him the £1'000'000 hint what one might do in such a case? Give us another suite! He rings the reception. There's is none available. Just the standard rooms, I wanted to avoid... Could we have two with connecting doors? Any other solution. He checks and we start an expedition of the hotel. The connected rooms are of no use, unfortunately, so we walk and walk, seemingly miles to the other end of Kent or at least the Big Danes Hotel. There's a family room, away from anything. No elevators, a 100 stairs - sorry, no alternative. Again it's me suggesting that we might have a room next to the suite to use the toilet there. Yes there is, Hooray.

And so, hours later, we did get 307 next to suite 305, leaving us to go out into the public gangway whenever we need to, always carrying two keys, in order to get in and get back.

We do also get our dinner at the restaurant - at least one positive aspect.

The next morning we have to check out early in order to catch the ferry in Dover - but before 7 there is no breakfast available. This hotel seems not to be organized for travellers, it seems. OK, we do it without it, eating on the ferry then. At the reception there are three people, no one really knowing what to do with the situation. They work on their computers and communicate between them seemingly endlessly. And then, the invoice is presented. A small discount of £30 is applied. Everything else is charged. No invitation to dinner (£38), no discount of the dog's charge (at the Bid Danes!), just an agonized "I am sorry". Awful!

It seems that staff are absolutely not trained at this hotel. Not, how to welcome guests, especially those who pay more. They have no idea how to behave, when a problem occurs. And they have no clue at all to save the situation before a guest in such situation leaves the place - and probably never comes back again.

Also the manager has not been seen anywhere. Also the request in the official Mercure survey to contact me was left unanswered.

Great Danes, BIG disappointment.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear mortimer 1995
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you found your room spacious and enjoyed your experience in the restaurant. I appreciate that the slow filling toilet cistern must have been very irritating and I am sorry that we were not able to repair this in good time and that the alternatives offered only served to disappoint. I also apologise that the matter has yet to be resolved to your satisfaction. Thank you for making us aware of the faulty cistern which has now been replaced.

Travelers are raving about these Hollingbourne hotels

Christchurch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

The location of this hotel is perfect if you wish to visit Leeds Castle, (well worth doing). But the hotel itself is rather tired and in need of renovation. As in so many hotels there were never enough check in / desk staff. The room was spacious and well equipped but in need of a 'makeover'. The buffet at breakfast was good, and because the hotel was full the food was very freshly prepared. The function suite is on the edge of the hotel and rooms on that side are disturbed by any late night noise / music. In general a functional hotel if you only need a room for a night, preferably mid-week, when there is less likely to be noise from the function area.

Room Tip: Away from the function area.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you found the bedroom spacious and well equipped and that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet, which we always aim to keep fresh. There are a handful of rooms located above one of the event rooms, but we generally allocate these to guests attending evening events to avoid any issues with noise.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

I was looking for an overnight stay at a spa for a little time out. I searched via wahanda (spa & leisure discount website) and the Mercure Great Danes Hotel Maidstone was by far the cheapest and best value.

I booked two nights stay with breakfast and dinner with use of all facilities i.e. pool, steam room, sauna, gym, table tennis etc for £99 per person, brilliant deal!

The room was lovely very nice size, big window-lots of light, nicely set out. Bathroom was fine, the actual bath/shower was quite small so was a bit crampt when using it.
The room had a lots of extras hair dryer, iron/trouser press, good work space, storage.

I found the facilities good the steam room was shared in the main, saunas were seperate within the changing areas, I enjoyed using the swimming pool. The jacuzzi was brilliant.
I found the changing area great good space and good working showers. We didn't book a spa service so can't comment on that.

Good bits:
-Supplied with bath robe and slippers, towels given each time you enter the pool area, free lockers, supplies of bag for wet clothes.
-Really helpful and friendly staff always smiling...nice to see for a change!
-The food was lush! I was worried due to some people complaining but its was delicious and a good variety to choose from. (We chose from the restaurant menu rather then the buffet).

Not so great bits:
-I didn't realise the swimming pool area open to all not just members and spa breakers- we had a few kids on the first day which is fine, but the second day lessons were going on at one side of the pool, although I still used the pool fine was a bit of an inconvenience. Perhaps the website could state times and days of lessons etc so people are aware.
-I found the bed and pillows uncomfortable but a bit lumpy and hard.

Just next to the beautiful Leeds Castle shame it rained the whole two days so stayed within the hotel.

Overall for what we paid it was so worth it, I would go back but only with the same voucher deal.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Sun_N_Sea07, thank you for your comprehensive review, I was delighted that you made use of all the facilities and enjoyed your time at the hotel, especially the food!. We run regular offers, so hopefully we will be seeing you again.
Chatham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

We got married here on 1st september 2012. We had such an amazing day and the staff are so friendly and helpful. David was our function manager and he was fantastic at his job. He mad us feel so special. The grounds are beautiful and the food was fantastic too. We also had a room for the night which was nice and comfortable. Breakfast was lovely the next day too. Would definately reccomend.

1 Thank Soph291287
Thank you for your review.
Congratulations on your recent marriage, David and the rest of the team were delighted that they made your day so speacial.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hollingbourne
Mercure Tunbridge Wells
Village Hotel Maidstone
Village Hotel Maidstone
#4 of 15 in Maidstone
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,424 reviews

Been to Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel? Share your experiences!