“Brilliant stay for 2 night Leisure Break with beakfast & dinner”

Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hollingbourne
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I was looking for an overnight stay at a spa for a little time out. I searched via wahanda (spa & leisure discount website) and the Mercure Great Danes Hotel Maidstone was by far the cheapest and best value.

I booked two nights stay with breakfast and dinner with use of all facilities i.e. pool, steam room, sauna, gym, table tennis etc for £99 per person, brilliant deal!

The room was lovely very nice size, big window-lots of light, nicely set out. Bathroom was fine, the actual bath/shower was quite small so was a bit crampt when using it.
The room had a lots of extras hair dryer, iron/trouser press, good work space, storage.

I found the facilities good the steam room was shared in the main, saunas were seperate within the changing areas, I enjoyed using the swimming pool. The jacuzzi was brilliant.
I found the changing area great good space and good working showers. We didn't book a spa service so can't comment on that.

Good bits:
-Supplied with bath robe and slippers, towels given each time you enter the pool area, free lockers, supplies of bag for wet clothes.
-Really helpful and friendly staff always smiling...nice to see for a change!
-The food was lush! I was worried due to some people complaining but its was delicious and a good variety to choose from. (We chose from the restaurant menu rather then the buffet).

Not so great bits:
-I didn't realise the swimming pool area open to all not just members and spa breakers- we had a few kids on the first day which is fine, but the second day lessons were going on at one side of the pool, although I still used the pool fine was a bit of an inconvenience. Perhaps the website could state times and days of lessons etc so people are aware.
-I found the bed and pillows uncomfortable but a bit lumpy and hard.

Just next to the beautiful Leeds Castle shame it rained the whole two days so stayed within the hotel.

Overall for what we paid it was so worth it, I would go back but only with the same voucher deal.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Dear Sun_N_Sea07, thank you for your comprehensive review, I was delighted that you made use of all the facilities and enjoyed your time at the hotel, especially the food!. We run regular offers, so hopefully we will be seeing you again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,159)

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We got married here on 1st september 2012. We had such an amazing day and the staff are so friendly and helpful. David was our function manager and he was fantastic at his job. He mad us feel so special. The grounds are beautiful and the food was fantastic too. We also had a room for the night which was nice and comfortable. Breakfast was lovely the next day too. Would definately reccomend.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Soph291287

Thank you for your review.
Congratulations on your recent marriage, David and the rest of the team were delighted that they made your day so speacial.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Myself and partner recently stayed here so we could attend a works function in the same place.
First of all to start on a positive note I couldn't fault the staff efficiency and friendliness, but unfortunately this is where it ended, the entire hotel feels very dated, with the 90's decore and fixtures and fittings hanging on their hinges. The gym and pool although clean looked like they were in need of a re-fit. This said they were a lot better than the rooms which were even more dated, the design of the room was poor owing to an injury I sustained during my stay and it looked like they hadn't seen an update in 10 years or more, breakfast although amble very average. In this day and age I expected alot better for £90 a night. I'm sure it was a great hotel in the early nighties but times have changed!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank jonny955

Thank you for your review and your comments about the efficiency and friendliness of the team.
The bedrooms differ in standard and size but they should all be clean and well maintained. We are always happy to offer an alternative where possible. Working with a designer, we have a number of new schemes throughout the hotel and I hope you will see the difference should you visit us again.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Note I was here for 1 night on business & only because the Mariott & Devere were full.

The rooms are in desperate need of refurbishment; my rooms was basically like a Travelodge room, but smaller & more cramped. Not such an issue perhaps if you want a Travelodge room, but going by the exterior appearance of the hotel & the nice clean bar/restaurant (quite nice, in parts) the room was a real let down. Considering that very nearby is the fantastic Tudor Park, the Devere & others, I would have thought they would have made more effort here.

The gym wasn't bad, nothing exciting though. Again not as good as other local hotels.

If you have read my other reviews then you will know wifi in the room should always be standard for a good hotel, but my room only had wired connection. No wifi reception in the bar/restaurant either, only limited wifi in a back-end tea area. Not good enough in my book & will not be staying here again.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

I am pleased you found a positive in the exterior and cleanliness of the hotel. We do have several room types and are always happy to upgrade when possible. Wifi is free in the public areas and we are looking to extend this in the near future.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

My wife and I have stayed twice at this delightful hotel in Hollingbourne, Maidstone, very easy to get to by car and bus. Excellent facilities and great staff and it also has very nice gym as well.
I stayed last year for my birthday as we wnated to visit Leeds Castle which is right next door. And then We went again just before xmas for a murder mytery event followed by an after party. The atmosphere was electric and a good time was had by all. I highly recommend the hotel and If I ahve another chance to go again I will do

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter and you have great view of the surrounding parks and golf courses
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear Rajesh M
Thank you very much for your review and your comments about the team. I am delighted you enjoyed another visit to the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

We booked two rooms for a one night stay following a wedding and were delighted with everything. Rooms were clean and bright and had an interconnecting door. Buffet breakfast was included making the stay excellent value. From reception staff to night porter, it would have been hard to find more helpful staff - compliments to them all. The highlight for us was being woken up in the morning by a strange noise to find a female peacock waiting at the window! I would assume that guests pass titbits out to her so now she checks every day to see what's on the menu. Our room was on the first floor with the reception roof outside so not a great view but Lady Peacock more than compensated! Overall, more than happy with the hotel and lovely grounds.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Dear Tsamily
Thank you for your review. I am delighted you found the team helpful and the rooms clean and bright. The peacocks are looking more impressive as they grow older and have found a nice area beside the fishing lake. Look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

It was more like Butlins than a 4 Star hotel. Small cramped rooms, tired furniture, dirty china at breakfast, below average over priced food, surly bar staff, rubbish pool, maze like corridors. On the up-side the reception staff were ace. I expected better considering it was quite expensive and claims to have 4 stars.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sharman D
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Dear Sharman D
Thanks for your review. I was pleased the reception team impressed but sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations overall. We do have a number of different room types and are always pleased to offer alternatives when possible. We did have a problem with the plate washer which has been resolved and I am sorry that any substandard crockery reached the restaurant. The pool is part of a good sized leisure club. It is not new but the filters and water qualities are first class and are enjoyed by many members and guests alike.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hollingbourne
Tudor Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club
#11 of 17 in Maidstone
Village Hotel Maidstone
Village Hotel Maidstone
#5 of 17 in Maidstone

Been to Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel? Share your experiences!