“Warm welcome brilliant food”
Review of The Dirty Habit

The Dirty Habit
Cuisines: European, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: There's nothing taboo about good food, so The Dirty Habit pub restaurant in Hollingbourne near Maidstone is perhaps misleadingly named. Of course the name actually refers to the origins of this historic building on the famed Pilgrims Way, close to the North Downs and dating back to the 11th century, The Dirty Habit started life as a brewery owned and run by monks who also allowed weary travellers to rest here as they made their way to Canterbury. Gloriously characterful, The Dirty Habit maintains features from throughout the intervening years, including cosy fireplaces and ovens, gnarly old beams and a long Georgian oak bar too. From the comfy Monks Corner to the beautifully refurbished terrace, there's a space to suit your occasion. While the bar serves a wide range of beers, ales and spirits, as well as a good wine list, the food menu caters for all tastes and budgets, The Dirty Habit's award-winning chef using locally sourced produce in dishes ranging from traditional British pub grub to more exotic offerings.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Had a superb lunch for two here today, food was excellent, staff welcoming, friendly and polite. Good parking, excellent decor, dog friendly. Good local walking from the restaurant.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (962)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Booked in advance on the basis of good reviews both in local and online media. The pub dates back in part to the 13th century, but there is noting antiquated about the service, menu or general ambiance. There are tables outside for those sunny summer days, and ample room indoors. We had specifically been recommended to try the Sunday roast and were not disappointed. From the moment that we arrived until our departure our waitress was a model of unhurried but discreet efficiency, All bar one of us opted for various versions of the roast, which comprised beef, lamb or pork. Each was cooked to perfection, the beef rare, the lamb tinged with pink and the pork juicy and succulent. All came with crispy roast potatoes and a selection of locally-sourced vegetables. The sommellier was happy to discuss the various wine options and helped match wines with our meals. The non-roast eater chose the chorizo chicken and padron peppers, which she announced to be excellent.For pudding, the only one with any room left chose the apple and gooseberry crumble with cream, which went down a treat. Superb service overall, the place is well worth its rating.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We were dining out with Son, Daughter-in-Law and our lovely grandchildren. They had eaten here before and told us about the Sunday roast. We booked the table beforehand and arrived with time to spare. The staff could not have been better, we chose to have drinks in the garden and a member of staff came and told us when our table was ready. We placed our order and the children were given crayons and picture book to keep them amused whilst we waited. The food was well presented and very tasty - there was more than sufficient and I enjoyed every mouthful. My little grandson had fish and it looked lovely and again very well presented. I would definitely return we were very well received and the food was great - I cannot recommend this place more highly.

Reviewed September 14, 2019 via mobile

Really lovely restaurant. Food was excellent very hot and good quality. service was good if a little quick for me I do like a gap between starter and main and there wasn’t one. However the whole experience was lovely

Reviewed September 8, 2019

We celebrated my sons wedding at the Dirty habit yesterday. We arrived and our table was already in use and we were told it would not be ready in time. I was a bit upset as it was a surprise. My son and his new wife had no idea that other family members were going to be there. So we were left in the main entrance with cake balloons etc. I was getting worried at they were due at 19.30 so went to see the ( i believe ) Manager. He could not have been more helpful. He took the cake and other bits and said he would have the table ready when the other people had left. .We were then told that the table would not be ready until at least 19.45. Then came the funny part as we had other family members to try and hide as the room was not ready. First they hide in a small part of the bar by the ladies toilet, the manager saw what was happening and kindly offered for them to sit out on the terrace, because of the extra time and table not being ready he offered us bread and olives and two bottles of prosecco as complimentary drinks because of the hassle. That i thought was extremely good of him to do. so out on the terrace they went only to see my son and co arrive and it looked like he was going to come in the back entrance, so they all ploughed through the bar to their hiding place again, only to have the managed arrive and say the table is ready so off they went again was funny to watch no idea what other guest in the bar thought it was a bit like a Benny hill show to watch. Then my son and co never came in through the back bit appeared at the front entrance just as the last member of the party was disappearing around the bar. I was not sure if my son saw anyone through a window but he had a smile on his face. Again the manager discreetly asked if we were waiting for a table an enquired our names and number in the party and took us through to a surprise party waiting at the table. All in all a very enjoyable evening with good food, good surroundings and very good staff. I would like to thank the manager for all his help and for playing along with the surprise. I would highly recommend this place for a good evening. Thank you to all at the Dirty habit.

Date of visit: September 2019
natelite, Public Relations Manager at The Dirty Habit, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2019

Hi Marielebon58,

Thank you for your lovely email. I will make sure that this is past onto the pub.