“Afternoon delight, thoroughly enjoyable”
Review of Wickham Vineyard - CLOSED

Wickham Vineyard
More attraction details
Owner description: Take an audio tour of this scenic vineyard that provides a history of English wine, grape details and viticulture through the seasons.
Abingdon, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Afternoon delight, thoroughly enjoyable”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stopped off at Wickham with my wife for a wedding anniversary treat in the New Forest. What a terrific place! Not only were the staff friendly and so enthusiastic about their winemaking venture, but the vineyard itself is a delight to walk around and spend time chilling out with a fine glass (or two) of English wine. We took the audio tour, which led us around the vines and the bottling room, explaining all that goes in to producing wine on a commercial scale. It was interesting and insightful. But the best bit was the relaxed atmosphere and hospitality we felt from all the staff involved. We enjoyed a light lunch from the restaurant on the open terrace, and although it was an overcast day, we felt we could have stayed all afternoon. The owners are expanding the services offered at Wickham to 1 day and multi day courses as well as offering the venue for weddings. We will definitely be returning to try out fine dining in the restaurant next time and wish the owners good luck in keeping this place a viable and delightful venue that it is.

Visited September 2013

Hants
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Fascinating story of the trials and work growing grapes”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We went to Wickham Vineyard as part of a package at New Place De Vere Venues. We visited on a Sunday afternoon- beware the last tour is at 3pm. The cafe had also just closed when we arrived at 3pm. We had intended to get a taxi to the Vineyard but were told that the tasting at the end only involved about half a glass of wine so we drove. We went on an audio tour around the vineyard which was fascinating. A real lesson in the hard work growing vines and I also learned a bit of local history that I didn't know before. The walking tour takes about 30 minutes walking amongst the vines and into the winery. After that there is a short tasting of six wines. The best thing was arriving back at New Place to find a bottle of Wickham Special Reserve in the room which went down very well with the duck that night.

Visited August 2013
Southampton, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Amazing afternoon tea on a par with Ritz and Savoy”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Having eaten here before in its previous guise of Vatika and thoroughly enjoyed it we decided to try its afternoon tea - and it was even better than we expected. Very generous portions all beautifully served on a three tier cake plate. The most amazing sandwiches- I don't even like sandwiches normally! - but these were wonderful, - 4 different sorts and all delicious. Truly wonderous fruit scones with just the right amount of cream and jam... Then a superb selection of small portions of cakes, - I could hardly manage to finish them all (in fact I didn't eat again that day...) very nice tea to drink too and I had a glass of Wickham Vineyard fizz with mine (it seemed rude not to given the setting). Having eaten afternoon tea at the Ritz and the Savoy I think this on a par with them but in a much nicer setting; unfortunately it rained on the day of our visit but I imagine sitting out on the terrace would be the only possible improvement. £17 per person (£8 extra I think for the wine) is a small price to pay for such perfection. We're looking forward to another visit.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank HeatherJS01
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Enjoyable group visit”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I recently arranged a group visit to the Vineyard. We were met by William and his daughter who made us all very welcome. It was a beautiful summer evening for stroll amongst the vines while William explained the growing and harvesting process. We were then shown the equipment used for making and bottling the wine. After the tour we had a tasting of several wines which the group really enjoyed. It was fascinating to listen to Williams plans for the Vineyard and his passion to keep it going, as a group of senior business managers it was very interesting to compare the issues faced in wine making and our business. At least we don't have the unpredictable weather to contend with in our industry! We had a great evening and are looking forward to seeing the Vineyard go from strength to strength. Good Luck Team.

Visited July 2013
Southampton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“A secret little gem of a place”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I was lucky enough to be treated by my wife with a visit to Wickham Vineyard, and what a lovely trip out it was too! We only live 15-20mins away from there, yet we had never been there in all the years we have known of its existence. We heard all about the financial difficulties its had in the past, Vatika restaurant when it was there etc etc, and coupled with the general stigma around English wines, I was looking forward to it, but didn't harbour ridiculously high expectations.

Well, we organised a personal tour of the vineyard in the evening, wine tasting, and then with a 2 course dinner in the restaurant afterwards and to put it simply, it was superb. Julian, the French head Winemaker was a fantastic host - down to earth, very open and honest, but with a clear passion and unbelievable expertise in winemaking. I'm not a wine expert by any stretch, but enjoy wines and know a little. By the end, I genuinely knew a lot more about the processes involved! He also recommends the personal tours rather than the audio ones, as although they are very good the audio tours, they don't have that personal touch - there is also basically no price difference.

To cut this a bit shorter though, the food afterwards was absolutely divine! I had shoulder of Lamb while my wife had Fish, and the quality of the food and even presentation was outstanding! No surprise then that the chef learned his trade under the gaze of the one and only Raymond Blanc!

Add in the absolutely wonderful setting of the place, the restaurant views, the outside terrace and the shockingly fantastic quality of the wines (i didn't expect to like any, let alone 4 out of 6 we tried) and I really do think this place should be even more busy than it is!

I want as many people to go to this place as possible to help it get back up there financially, but equally I selfishly want this place to myself!

If it sounds like your thing, just go, try the personal tour with the dinner afterwards, and unless you are hyper critical of anything and everything I guarantee you will enjoy!

P.S - despite its appearance on the surface if you have never been, its not a stuck up, "only posh people can attend" type place. Its a working vineyard that happens to have a top class restaurant in it, but with lovely, down to earth people working there.

Visited August 2013