“A secret little gem of a place”
Review of Wickham Vineyard - CLOSED

Wickham Vineyard
More attraction details
Owner description: Take an audio tour of this scenic vineyard that provides a history of English wine, grape details and viticulture through the seasons.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“A secret little gem of a place”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I was lucky enough to be treated by my wife with a visit to Wickham Vineyard, and what a lovely trip out it was too! We only live 15-20mins away from there, yet we had never been there in all the years we have known of its existence. We heard all about the financial difficulties its had in the past, Vatika restaurant when it was there etc etc, and coupled with the general stigma around English wines, I was looking forward to it, but didn't harbour ridiculously high expectations.

Well, we organised a personal tour of the vineyard in the evening, wine tasting, and then with a 2 course dinner in the restaurant afterwards and to put it simply, it was superb. Julian, the French head Winemaker was a fantastic host - down to earth, very open and honest, but with a clear passion and unbelievable expertise in winemaking. I'm not a wine expert by any stretch, but enjoy wines and know a little. By the end, I genuinely knew a lot more about the processes involved! He also recommends the personal tours rather than the audio ones, as although they are very good the audio tours, they don't have that personal touch - there is also basically no price difference.

To cut this a bit shorter though, the food afterwards was absolutely divine! I had shoulder of Lamb while my wife had Fish, and the quality of the food and even presentation was outstanding! No surprise then that the chef learned his trade under the gaze of the one and only Raymond Blanc!

Add in the absolutely wonderful setting of the place, the restaurant views, the outside terrace and the shockingly fantastic quality of the wines (i didn't expect to like any, let alone 4 out of 6 we tried) and I really do think this place should be even more busy than it is!

I want as many people to go to this place as possible to help it get back up there financially, but equally I selfishly want this place to myself!

If it sounds like your thing, just go, try the personal tour with the dinner afterwards, and unless you are hyper critical of anything and everything I guarantee you will enjoy!

P.S - despite its appearance on the surface if you have never been, its not a stuck up, "only posh people can attend" type place. Its a working vineyard that happens to have a top class restaurant in it, but with lovely, down to earth people working there.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank MrCueball

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 238 helpful votes
“A very pleasant way to enjoy a warm hour or so.”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

An English vineyard.
Take the informative and easy 30 minute audio tour.
Pop into the 'shop', sample some wines - sparkling, white, rose and reds. Be delighted and surprised, I was, the Special Reserve Red is OUTSTANDING.

Buy some wine - support a local grower.

Eat in the lovely restaurant (sadly we weren't sufficiently hungry but attractive setting and nice looking food).

2 Thank HappyHayling
Havant, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Excellent”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have known Wickham Vineyard for a long time and enjoyed some of their wines over a period of years. This was my first visit to the restaurant. I took my wife for a small celebration of sorts. Whilst I am the first to admit the weather (a beautiful summer evening) played a part in our enjoyment the overall experience was a delight. We were greeted warmly and offered the opportunity to sit outside with a drink whilst choosing our meals. This we did. The food was excellent, the service impeccable and the general ambience outstanding. We finished our evening by sitting on the terrace again having a last glass of wine watching the sun go down.

If it wasn't a perfect evening it was certainly the closest we have come to one for a very long time!!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Utterly fantastic food, wine and service!”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This was our first experience of Wickham Vineyard, we went for dinner to celebrate my wife's birthday and we were absolutely blown away by the quality of the food and service, we have tried the wines before and this was partly the reason for trying the restaurant.

Having eaten at several Michelin starred establishments (including Le Manoir where the current head chef worked in the past) I can honestly say that the food was right up there with the best of them, the high quality of the produce was apparent, and cooked to perfection.

We chose to have only the Wickham produced wine during the experience and my only suggestion would be to have a tasting menu option paired with wines, this would have persuaded us to choose this option rather than eating from the À la carte menu.

The staff were great and attentive enough without being overly present.

Highly recommend for a romantic dinner for two..!

2 Thank Nick D
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Recommend for an Initimate dinner for two!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We had a delightful and wonderful time at the Wickham Vineyard for my husband's birthday. The atmosphere was peaceful and initimate. The service was attentive and welcoming. The food was delicious and beautifully presented. Overall a fantastic experience for dinner.

2 Thank Liz R