“enjoyed but like to try other warners”

Warner Leisure Hotels Nidd Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nidd
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 16, 2011

we enjoyed nidd hall immensley. we had a signature room with an extra king size be brilliant. the bathroom was excellent with everything provided. looked brand new. we usually book an ambassador room but they were all taken, the ambassador suits us as we are not in the room all day . they are also very comfortable just not so elaborate. you get what you pay for. the grounds were wonderful and picturesque. the lovely lake with the ducks and a stones throw from our room.their is a long walk from reception to the east wing but magnificent views.
their was one blunder by the booking staff. we were given room 113
when we booked. we were given the key and let ourself into the room.
we were horrified. there were all peoples belongings in the room. we shut the door and phoned reception who said sorry. they were moving these people to another room. waited half an hour still nothing and phoned again to get same reply. in the end my husband went to reception and demanded something to be done. they found a room three doors down in the end. i do not believe they were going to move 113 and i would not have been pleased if they were going to move me. someone made an error and this was just not good enough.
the entertainment was good but far too much of this sequence dancing
so boring watching people dancing round edge of floor doing the same
actions. we would certainly go back again. i suppose you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank brenda h
There are newer reviews for Warner Leisure Hotels Nidd Hall Hotel

Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed the weekend at Nidd Hall Hotel because we were visiting one of our sons who lives in the North. We thought we would give Warners a try.
The room, a signature room with a patio was very nice with a comfortable bed, tea and cocoa (why no coffee?) and plenty of biscuits. TV etc. with a modern lovely bathroom and all very clean and well-maintained, but a long long way from Reception.a i.e. down two long corridors one with a rather depressing grey carpet, and a lift to the ground floor. But the view was nice from the lovely room. There is a mini bar but you have to buy a package to put in it and take what you don't want home, so we didn't bother I missed having a safe.
We were given the opportunity to view our table in the dining room and it was in a bit of a corner so we asked to change it and with no trouble they offered us a better one. However, when we came to eat it was occupied, so we were given another table in the main dining room. The tables there although individual are very close together. It was very nosy and people and staff were wandering around. So we asked to move again and were offered an indoor balcony and that was very nice
The staff were all helpful.
. The food was excellent, (the main course was quite small I thought but very tasty) and the breakfast was marvelous. Couldn't have been better. What I didn't like as we had entered the dining room was the liquid stand in order to wash ones hands. I hadn't come accross this before and nobody seemed to use it anyway!!
There was a lovely shop and a library with no modern books in it at all. They all seemed to be written around 1920!
So what for me was so wrong. I, myself am over eighty and at times have to use a buggy
But I want a mix of people. I like young people and I like children around and it didn't for me and I stress the "for me" feel like any hotel I had ever been in.
(We didn't take part in the entertainment because we were out so I can't comment on it. But it was a weekend about the music of the sixties and it wasn't my music of the sixties!
I was a rock-fan!!)
So the good points and they were good, were overshadowed by my desire to have a mix of ages, rather than all older people. I won't go again.

Room Tip: The signature room was very good but a long way from reception.
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We booked at Nidd Hall because we could not get into our usual French Hotel, and we wanted to see a bit more of the Dales.

We arrived just after lunch on Friday and were booked in reasonably quickly considering that Friday and Monday are the big changeover days. After a welcome glass of ‘fizz’ a porter took our bags for us and showed us to our room. We had booked a ‘Historic” room in the main house which turned out to be a nice large room with little signs of history other than a card describing one of the house’s past residents, sir Francis Trappe. There was a large bed made up of 2 large divans clamped together, plenty of cupboard and drawer space and a table with arm chairs and a welcome pack of very tart apples, wine and small box of 4 chocolates. The bathroom was nice and modern with good quality toiletries and even face cloths were provided (but not replaced on the last 2 days).
The room faced Nidd Church that had a clock tower striking the hour and half hour from 0800 to 2330. This proved to be no problem at all.
Cleaning could have been better. We are unsure if anything was moved to clean underneath during our stay, and the main lampshade was full of dead flies. Otherwise the room was generally clean. The sash windows were dangerous, being in need of sash cord to hold them up.

The building appears complicated at first, but everything can be accessed from a LONG main corridor leading from reception to the East Wing. There are comfortable lounges, tearooms, bars and a theatre. Downstairs is the main Rawson Restaurant seating around 300. (Far too large although divided into smaller areas).

During the day there are various entertainments. We particularly enjoyed a series of vignettes (playlets) by the excellent Nidd Players, and also a sketching class and short singing recitals. During the evenings they start with a resident dance band and proceed onto an entertainment by a resident troupe. We found the main entertainment, usually themed around a 90s decade and starting quite late, was over amplified and too loud for us to stay and enjoy.

Dining was generally quite satisfactory and well presented other than one evening when nothing on the menu really appealed. Serving 300 at once was however obviously a strain and need only one hiccup to introduce delays in service. The salad bar had little on it that was not mixed with sauces or other items and there was little crunchy like celery, radish, iceberg, grated carrot etc. (perhaps they though older people could not cope?). I thought that the overall experience showed the companie's Butlins affiliation rather than 4* dining.
Breakfast was centred round the cooked buffet with some items served to the table on order. I regarded the cooked food as medium rather than high quality. (Bacon had the white slime of lower quality on it, and the sausages looked thin shiny and synthetic).
Whole milk was not available at breakfast or anywhere else in the hotel. This is a totally patronising attitude to customers' taste.

We looked at the 2 rosettes Terrace Restaurant available at £15 supplement. This restaurant was soul-less and barn-like with some tables isolated in the middle of the uncarpeted echoey room rather than cosily arranged around the sides. We were not attracted to eat here solely because of the lack of atmosphere.

Bourne Holidays own not only Warner Leisure Hotels, but also Haven Holidays and Butlins. We thought that these affiliations showed in the overall experience. Considering the price and 4* rating of Nidd Hall we thought it could have done a lot better. As it is it reflected more a large cruise ship on dry land or a Butlins for retired people. Although we enjoyed our week here, I don’t think we will go to a Warner’s hotel again.

Room Tip: Book early
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Cannot fault this lovely old house or the staff who go out of their way to make you stay as comfortable and special as possible. I have stayed in quite a few Warner hotels and every one could take lessons from the way this one is managed. The food was v good. Paul and all the entertainment staff were excellant, didn't think much to the "Star" attraction on Saturday evening but the 60s music always gets the foot tapping. Must mention Colin very pleasant the bar man who always went the extra half mile to serve you. I stayed in a signature room and couldn't fault it. We have booked again for January going to stay in an historic room in the old house.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter which type of room they are all good but the more you pay the more luxury of cou...
Reviewed August 26, 2011

My wife and I have just returned from this hotel where we had an enjoyable stay. The food was good and our waitress, Alena is a shining example of how to provide service and in our opinion deserves an award. Nice facilities and good quality entertainment that caters for all ages. This hotel is set in a picturesque location and is close to many attractions so a good base to see the local area. The hotel attracts mainly elderly people so if you are in your 40s or even 50s you will be considered young and some of the elderly guests may mistake you for members of staff but if you don't mind the older population you'll have a great time.

A few bits to point out. We weren't entirely satisfied with our historic room as our view was a roof and there was a slight whirring noise from the air conditioning unit over the swimming pool although the room was nice and clean. We spoke to Julia on reception who promised us a move 2 days into our break that she did pre-arrange as she wasn't going to be there on the day of our move. We were assured that someone from reception would contact us on the day, but no one did, so we had to chase them. As we were going out we were told that arrangements would be made for our clothes to be transferred to our new room but when we returned to the hotel after 5pm, no clothes so once again we had to chase reception. I admit that it upset me that I had to keep chasing them and an apology would have been nice. Julia on reception seems to be very good but the younger members of staff seem to be a bit lacking in the service department.

Another small gripe about reception is that we inquired for directions to Harewood House which we were given but what we didn't know at that time was that we could purchase tickets at reception for half the price that we actually paid when we got to the attraction. I am surprised reception staff didn't tell us this as I think it is a pretty obvious thing for them to point out.

The 'main house lift 2' is positively dangerous as the door closes far too quickly after opening and does it with a thump. I have left the hotel with an aching arm after the door closed rather violently on me. I wasn't surprised to see the out of order sign on the door the next day but even after it was fixed there was no improvement. I should have reported it but didn't do it but in hindsight this was a mistake.

The accommodation was spacious and clean and to a high quality apart from a few shabby items like the shower that wasn't very good in room 32 and a broken tap but nothing to worry about.

Overall though, it was a good break and the hotel has many positives about it and I think there are not too many guests who would complain. We would go again.

Reviewed August 23, 2011

Our Summer break this year took us to Nidd Hall. As Warner Hotels go this one is much like the others and suits our needs completely. There is peace and quiet in the grounds or plenty of activities in and around the site if you prefer. The staff were helpful and polite and the food was, well usual.
On the down side we do enjoy a game of bowls when we are away but the outdoor green had seen some extreme weather over previous weeks and it was unusable until our last day. We also like walking and were offered some walks from the club, the problem was we never actually found out where they were but they were not local to the Hotel.
One thing we did learn this year is to check what Warners are putting on when we book up, our stay this year included the 'strictly' weekend which sort of took us by surprise. The hotel was full and you couldn't get a seat (with table) in the entertainment theatre, however we did manage a couple of chairs on Sunday night (the main event) and I have to admit I did enjoy it.
To sum up, Nidd Hall is high on the list of Warners but not favourite. It's a long way for us to travel and I think we prefer the weather down south!

Room Tip: Our Signature room was clean and presentable.
Reviewed August 23, 2011

This is our 7th visit to Nidd Hall, this time staying in a signature room. In previous years the hotel had organised a coach trip to ladies day at York races, but since this was not offered this year we decided to make our own way to Saturday's race meeting. The receptionist booked our taxi to Knaresborough station, and we travelled by train to York.
On Friday evening we enjoyed listening to one of the singers from Fortissimo in the drawing room, before making our way to the late lounge for their main performance. The resident band, Freeway, were on holiday, and had been replaced by a band called Picasso, who we particularly enjoyed because the music they played was suited to the audience and more up to date than that played by Freeway.
On Saturday night the entertainment was Talon - an Eagles tribute band. We enjoyed their performance, especially the older songs.
On Sunday we enjoyed walking in the well maintained hotel grounds in the sunshine, and listened to the excellent jazz band outside on the terrace during the afternoon.
Throughout our stay we ate in the Rawson restaurant, which provided a varied menu at all meals. We had meals from the carvery and from the kitchen, which were all well cooked and presented to the high standards we have come to expect here. The staff worked very hard and were all friendly and polite, although for many of them English was not their first language.
We look forward to returning next year.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nidd
Rudding Park Hotel
Ascot House Hotel Harrogate
Kimberley Hotel
Kimberley Hotel
#6 of 30 in Harrogate

Been to Warner Leisure Hotels Nidd Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!