“Disappointed”

Rose in Vale Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mithian
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 1, 2008

A lovely venue but weekend unfortunately ruined by attitude of the proprieters. I would not stay again. Also overpriced bar. (e.g. £2 for half a pint of lemonade, seen to be poured from a standard supermarket 2 litre bottle.). Food good although service slow. Room lived up to expectations.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DisappointedJune08
RoseinVale, Owner at Rose in Vale Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2008

This lady was happy and had a good time until she came down for breakfast 35 mins after breakfast service had ended on the last morning or her stay. She was upset as we were unable to provide her with a full cooked breakfast at that time. We offered her Cereal, Toast and a Continental but this was not acceptable to her.

We charge £2.00 for a coke or lemonade, which does come from a bottle. I do not think that this is expensive compared to other hotels or restaurants.

There are newer reviews for Rose in Vale Country House Hotel

Reviewed May 22, 2008

We were in the Rose Suite and very good it was too!
This Hotel is tucked away in a typical cornish valley and it is so peaceful and very easy to get to beaches and other sites.
The owners will do all they can to make you comfortable and the staff are very good. Excellent Chef with a very reasonably priced three course meal at dinner.
We were too early for the pool to be open but that looked good and a decent size too.
All in all we had a very good week-end ,despite the fact that we were on our way to the Scilly Islands from Bristol Airport and flights cancelled due to fog. We found the Rose in Vale in the AA Hotel Book in Smiths and it went from there and Mr. and Mrs Evans saved our week-end from being a disaster!
Much appreciated and very much enjoyed!

Mike and Madeleine Hayward

Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed May 11, 2008

Having gone on line to find a hotel for a nice weekend away I came across the Rose in Vale - wow! A beautiful setting a fantatsic room with a beautiful four poster bed and food to die for. We were looked after so well we felt like old friends. Would recommend this to anyone

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IOW2
Reviewed May 9, 2008

My wife and I stayed here the night after our wedding. I told her I had booked a Travel Lodge!

Upon arriving at the hotel we were made extremely welcome and were not disappointed with the location or premises.The sun was shining and the birds singing.

I had 'pushed the boat out' and booked the Rose Suite. Normally I would consider this too expensive, but I think the night after your wedding should not be skimped upon! We live in a farm house in a beautiful location, so are somewhat fussy where we stay.

We were delighted with the suite. The massive bed, amazing bathroom and beautiful outlook. Sheer indulgence.

James also kindly showed us the lovely MG Midget, of particular personal interest given that I also own one.

The dinner and champagne was superb, again James and Sara being flexible with timing and making us feel very important. We could not fault the food - fantastic. It was also nice to have a tinkle on the piano, though a tune-up would be benficial here!!

Before our stay I had read some rather negative reviews of the hotel from a few months back. I can only say that these people are clearly unsuitable for an establishment such as this, and should stick to back street boarding houses. Rude and unpleasant guests cannot expect constant pleasantries from any hotel proprietor.

James and Sara, if you should read this, thank you. You did us proud and we will be back.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2008

Stayed 3 nights in this lovely hotel, set in a peaceful location in its own delightful grounds. Owners and staff alike were friendly and helpful, making us feel very welcome. It was like staying in a country house rather than a hotel. The menu for dinner was varied, using local produce where possible. The standard of food and presentation was excellent, the dining room spacious, light and elegant. Our room was comfortably furnished with double aspect windows looking over the gardens. The open fire and deep armchairs in the drawing room were most welcome after long walks. Ample parking and convenient location for many of Cornwall's attractions.

Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank PleasedofSalisbury
Reviewed February 6, 2008

We decided to treat ourselves to a little luxury after a brief visit to our old haunts in Cornwall. All I can say is that from the moment we walked in we were treated with friendliness and courtesy by the lovely young receptionist. Our room which was a superior was just lovely and what a wonderful mattress! and view of the gardens. Our little 9 month old puppy was made very welcome and enjoyed all the fuss made over him.
We booked our Saturday night meal at the hotel and all I can say is that it was fantastic, you could tell the meat was organic as there was so much flavour to it. I have a lactose intolerance and my food was adapted accordingly when I mentioned this to the waitress.
We are already thinking about taking my in-laws down in October to celebrate my father-in-law's 80th!
Our stay at this hotel was everything we expected and more, thank you.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank guest-dorset
Reviewed January 3, 2008

Have just returned from a 5 night stay at Rose In Vale and thought I had to write a review as I had almost been put off going after reading previous reviews but our experience was very positive.
The hotel is very pretty and in a lovely setting. It is in tiny village reached by a country lane and the only local facilities seemed to be a country pub so we found ourselves driving to the local coastal towns each day. This however suited us as we wanted a very quiet, relaxing time and you do feel you have got away from it all at the hotel.
It was winter so we did not make use of the pretty gardens, swimming pool, hot tub etc instead we sat on comfy sofas in front of the log fires in the lounge.
Every staff member we came into contact with was extremely friendly and helpful and although the hotel is very small we did not have any trouble contacting someone if we needed to.
The decor did not look at all tired as some of the other reviews had noted but from speaking to other guests who were return visitors it has been redecorated with carpets, floors and furniture replaced recently.
Our bedroom did have creaky floorboards but it is a very old house. I was worried it might bother people underneath us but when I checked it was just a storage area so it was fine. It was clean and fresh with big wooden wardrobes, dressing table and bed and 2 flatscreen TV's which saved any arguements when the football was on!
We did have one problem with the room during our stay which was a leaky hot water tap in the bath but when we mentioned it to the manager he checked it out and could not fix it straight away so he switched us to an upgraded room for the rest of our stay.
We ended up in the Rose Suite which matches and probably exceeds any hotel room I have ever stayed in - and I have stayed in many four and five star hotels in different parts of the world. The bed was a huge kingsize four poster with a very comfy mattress and the bathroom had a double jacuzzi bath and double shower which all looked very clean and new.
The food was one of the big highlights - we enjoyed every meal and found there was plenty of choice and it was well cooked, well presented and good sized portions. Again I was told the food had improved since they replaced the chef. For such a small hotel I was very impressed with the choice at breakfast where you help yourself to juice, cereals, fresh fruit and ordered hot drinks, toast and could also choose from a very large menu including full english, continental, fish based breakfasts or alternatives like waffles, pancakes etc which was cooked fresh to order.
To sum up I would say the hotel has quite a homely and sophisticated feel. Nothing seemed too much trouble for the staff but it is only a small hotel so there is not a 24hour service but we did not ever need this. Similarly if you are looking for a lively location with lots of entertainment this would not be right for you. However if you are after a quiet, relaxing break it is perfect and virtually everyone else we met were return guests so they must be doing something right!
We would certainly be happy to return - it is not cheap but I did consider it value for money.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jane052
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mithian
The Alverton
Fistral Beach Hotel and Spa
The County Arms
The County Arms
#4 of 4 in Truro

Been to Rose in Vale Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!