“Just perfect for us and the dogs”

Rose in Vale Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mithian
GreenLeadersSilver level
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Just perfect for us and the dogs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Tucked away and approached by narrow roads we were apprehensive as we arrived at this country house hotel. We shouldn't have been! We had upgraded our room, and it was fabulous, with a huge bed and sumptuous new carpet. The ensuite was fresh, the tiles immaculate, and there was a super modern walk-in wet-room-style shower enclosure, with sufficient power and easily adjustable heat settings. (I find many hotel showers are just luke-warm dribblers.)

The grounds are well-kept, with extensive grass areas, a stream running through, and a woodland where you were encouraged to run your dogs. There was an outdoor pool, and lots of outdoor seating which if we return in warmer weather we shall certainly take advantage of.

We enjoyed our well presented meals and were spoilt by the staff. The hosts could have not been kinder. We shall return.

1 Thank John I

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

I booked a weekend on a whim after seeing it advertised on Groupon as a joint anniversary/valentines thing my my partner and I. I upgraded to a Joyce Nankivel room as I figured I might as well seeing as it was a special weekend. We arrived in the dark so we couldn't see much but it was a lovely approach down the driveway. There was plenty of parking (although since it was so early in the year and the hotel had been closed for a month for works it was fairly quiet so I guess we were a bit spoiled but even so - no shortage of parking) and the owner was waiting at reception for us. Once we were settled in we went for a drink in the bar before dinner and the new snug area with a log burner makes a most agreeable space for a winter's evening. We were served some delicious amuse bouche as well.

Dinner was excellent. My partner is a pescatarian and often dreads the vegetarian and fish offerings in restaurants as most aren't that great but this certainly was. She had sole and I went for duck. Both were first rate. We also had deserts and a really good pinot noir. The second night, incidentally, I had the same dish again because I liked it so much. We were also served some lovely petit fours after dinner as well.

Breakfast was equally enjoyable and the restaurant staff were unfailingly friendly, helpful and engaging. The same goes for the owners and housekeeping staff too.

Our room was spacious, nicely furnished, clean, airy and warm. The bathroom was good too (although I would suggest perhaps they need slightly longer splash guards on the open side of the bath as the shower was pretty powerful!). There were blackout blinds as well as curtains which meant we got a really nice lie-in too without being woken by daylight. The bed was a good size which is important to me as at over 6 foot and very broad shouldered and barrel chested, narrow and/or short beds and I do not mix) and we both slept well. Impressed that each side of the bed was provided with 3 pillows of varying firmness (or maybe that was my imagination) so my girlfriend, who is about 5 foot 2, and I were both able to get comfy. I was also rather pleased to find the bedside clock had an iPod dock (which worked fine with an iPhone 4S, incidentally) as this is a simple touch that most hotels overlook but which I think should be a standard thing these days.

Obviously, given that we went in the depths of Winter the grounds were looking a little bare but given the layout and trees etc I'll bet that in spring, summer and autumn they grounds are lovely. Frankly, I like winter so I thought they looked good anyway. Clearly we didn't get to sample the pool either as only a total masochist would want to try at that time of year but again, I'll bet that on a warm summers day it's a lovely place to while away a few hours.

Room Tip: The Joyce Nankivel rooms don't cost a huge amount more and had bags of space. Can't speak fo...
St Austell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

I found this restaurant reading an article in the Cornish Guardian a couple of weeks ago. I booked a surprise birthday meal for my partner as he was celebrating a special birthday. The service and attention to detail was excellent. When we arrived we were welcomed and made very comfortable.
The Valentines menu was carefully planned with many dishes to choose from. The food was cooked to perfection - an excellent chef paying such attention to taste and presentation. The restaurant staff were extremely attentive and very aware of the customers.
Thank you very much for the birthday surprise and the pianist playing 'Happy Birthday' in the background!
A truly wonderful evening - well worth a visit! We will definitely return.
Well done everyone involved.

1 Thank Alison S
farnborough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

The hotel - truly a Cornish Hidden Gem - accommodation most comfortable and clean.
Meals - never a disappointment - so always an empty plate at the end of each course.
Staff - always friendly and welcoming.
Having been employed in the Travel Industry throughout my working life, I have had the good fortune to stay in some of the World's top hotels - the experience of which was mostly very enjoyable, however, it has taken the Rose in Vale to add the finishing cherry.
As I am now a retired single traveller I first booked into the hotel for a week in July 2012 and stayed in one of the Master rooms (room 1). From the moment of checking in with one of the receptionist until a week later and checking out Sara,James and their staff did everything possible to make my stay an absolute joy - always professional but with a warm and friendly smile. I was so impressed that I booked to stay again for an extended Christmas break. This time I stayed in a Joyce Nankivel room no 14 - again, a most comfortable room. Most guests joined in with a programme and various activities - all adding much to the general festivities.
The meals throughout were again exceptional with Gary and his staff looking after us all wonderfully well - as did Henry on Gary's day off.
Yes truly delightful - the Rose in Vale - conveniently located in charming countryside - very comfortable and clean accommodation - exceptional food - first class with the warmth and friendliness of a family hotel. I very much look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Whimple, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We've stayed at this lovely hotel on several occasions now, and each time have enjoyed it enormously. The welcome is warm, the service excellent, and the food is exceptional. We have never seen hosts try so hard to provide whatever their guests ask for! The personal touch is evident throughout, and the highlight of any stay is the meals - either at breakfast or dinner, and we look forward to eating more of the wonderful food cooked by their new chef, and so beautifully served by the legendary Gary! We have found the rooms to be a reasonable size - you don't spend much time in a hotel room when there are so many lovely places within easy reach to visit. When my husband asked where I would like to spend my birthday next month - there was no question - it has to be the Rose-in-Vale!

2 Thank Susan S
Plymouth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Our stay here was not as expected. The deal included dinner and breakfast and it was only once we were sat for dinner we realised we were the youngest ones there (and we're in our 40's!). Having said that, the food itself was excellent. The room was clean and comfortable, but the bed a little small, and the television was in a weird position on the wall (it seemed to be around the corner from the bed making viewing it almost impossible without getting a crick in your neck!) When lying in bed and trying to sleep all we could hear were the 'oldies' giggling like teenagers and making a racket getting back to their rooms. The hotel was acceptable but we wouldn't return

Room Tip: We only saw the one room so hard to recommend
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank helsbelsplymouth
Newquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

this hotel is in a fantastic setting ,back to a bygone age.roaring fires in the public rooms,fantastic service and the new young chef is a rising star. The food is top class,could not fault it,cannot wait to return,James and Sara cannot do enough for you.About the hotel,beautiful location fantastic walks a place to relax,plenty of parking.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank terence s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mithian
The Alverton
The Alverton
#1 of 4 in Truro
The Headland Hotel & Spa - Newquay
Tregenna Castle Resort
Beacon Country House Hotel
The Cornwall Hotel, Spa & Estate
The Driftwood Spars B & B

Been to Rose in Vale Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!