“great family trip”

Undara Experience
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
“great family trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

Had everything we needed for a great family trip. Didn't need a tent, just stayed in a swag tent which had a fridge and power point! Great little camp kitchen to cook up sausages. Good spot to have a fire and cook marshmellows. Staff were so super friendly. Pool was cool for May but the kids didn't care! Good walks to do for free and went to visit Kilkani volcano without a huge cost. Tours would be great if we had more money but for this visit with little kids, there was enough free and easy entertainment. Already have planned to go back. Great spot. Good outback experience. BTW, it's the outback so expect some dirt! The kids loved it.

Room Tip: If you want to cook your own food on a BBQ, stay in a swag tent, they're closer to the camp kitc...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night during the low season (Dec 30) in the Pioneer Hut and then took a tour of the tubes the next day. While expensive (but then, we thought most everything about visiting Australia expensive), we thought the experience was worthwhile and a fairly easy trip to the "outback" from Cairns. The hut (a cabin) was nicely designed and very comfortable. Since we were already taking the trouble & expense to visit Oz, being able to easily add on this side trip was great. Our 4yo son enjoyed watching kangaroos in the wild from our cabin porch. We loved the natural rainwater on tap in the bistro. We had a lovely and relaxing natural experience.

Stayed December 2013
2 Thank bbonne
Moore Park Beach, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

The rail cabins are very over priced but worth doing once. The new self contained cabins are much better value. Staff are friendly but we had multiple mistakes with the package, including being over charged. The package is not worth the dollars unless you are a huge eater. Tours are good and savannah guides fantastic. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ray K
Maleny, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014

This is a unique area with a fascinating history. My wife and I did a tour of the lava tubes and were very surprised how large these tubes were. The guide knew the area well and was able to explain the geology of the area in plain English. The extent of the lava tubes is amazing and the extent of them can be seen from the top of the nearby extinct volcano.

The camping ground is a bit expensive but it is clean and well looked after. This is a great area to visit with plenty of walks to do.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Malenymac
Innisfail, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

My friend and I stayed at Undara Lodge for two nights for the Outback Rock & Blues Festival, this time. Due to overbooking, we were upgraded from a Quad Tent to two twin Railway Carriages. Although the rooms are comfortable, they are very small and expensive considering you only have two beds, one powerpoint, one fan and not much else. We were extremely pleased to have one room each as there would not have been sufficient room for our two suitcases. There are four rooms per carriage and the end rooms contain en-suites. The two middle rooms have no en-suite but there are plenty of amenities blocks close to each carriage. Personally, we prefer the Quad Tents, but it is a novelty to stay in an old railway carriage, and I think that is what you pay for.
We did not have the bush breakfast but did dine in the restaurant one evening. The meals are simple and expensive but contain good fresh quality products. The restaurant also has complimentary tea/coffee available all day.
We did three walks over the three days - Atkinson's Lookout - Basalt Ridge via the Swamp Track returning to the lodge via Bluff's Rock - Kalkani Crater. I am overweight and not super-fit, and I thoroughly enjoyed all three tracks.
What I enjoy about Undara Lodge the most is that no matter how many people are there (200 for the festival), nothing is ever over-crowded and you feel like you are there with only the few people that you pass on the walking tracks.
I can't wait for our next visit later this year - for Opera in the Outback!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Grace N
Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

This is my second visit -I was bringing my daughter this time, to share with her the tranquility of undara. This time, we stayed in a railway carriage, which, though very small was comfortable. We had a twin room, and they do not have en-suite facilities (and the toilet and bathroom are quite a walk away -for an older person like me, this can be an issue). There is also no tea/coffee making facility, though there is free tea and coffee available at the bar which is just a short walk. We were there in the 'Green Season' so the available tours were reduced. My daughter did both tours that were available and she enjoyed them both. Steve was the tour guide - and she said he was excellent and very knowledgeable. We also had all our meals there too, and we certainly didn't go hungry. All in all, we had a great stay, thanks to the all the staff there.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

As much as I enjoyed staying in the outback and the exploring the well worth visiting lava tubes, I'm sorry but paying $200 for a basic tent without a private bathroom left a big bad taste in my mouth. And why with all that space did the tents have to be virtually on top of one another? I could hear my neighbours snoring all night long and kids running around my tent from dawn! I thought I'd awoken in an expensive refugee camp! The over priced tag also applies to the restaurant and bar. I really think the park should reconsider it's pricing. By international standards they are charging 5 star prices for a 3 star service.
One thing the park doesn't need to review is the staff. Brilliant service with a dry outback sense of humour never fails. The pool was good too. Sure I'd visit again but, next time will bring my own tent.

Room Tip: Bring your own tent and food.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sydneysider70

Been to Undara Experience? Share your experiences!