“Beautiful View Exceptional Service and Lovely Food”

Noosa Boathouse & Sunset Bar
Ranked #6 of 111 Restaurants in Noosaville
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Australian
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Floating on top of the Noosa River is where you'll find this award winning, 3 level waterfront dining hub offering a morning coffee and breakfast bar, lunch and dinner in the bistro, a rooftop Sunset Bar, stunning weddings/event spaces and riverside fish & chips. Noosa Boathouse showcases a modern Australian menu that lets seasonal produce shine and offers a strong emphasis on locally harvested produce, fresh seafood and quality beef, combined with an ambition to deliver excellent experiences and service. The bistro - on the first level You'll find Chef Shane Bailey's signature dishes such as baked wild Qld scallops with sea urchin butter, slow cooked bundy braised beef short ribs or crispy pork belly with Thai red curry sauce on the menu. Not to mention our famous 3 tiered seafood platter and a variety of great Australian wines are also a strong feature in the menu. Open Tuesday - Sunday Little Boaty - on the front deck The newest addition to the venue is the coffee & breakfast bar open from 6am 7 days. There's great coffee, panini presses, jaffles, yogurt & muesli bowls and other delicious goodies baked fresh inhouse. The Sunset Bar - on the top deck Open Tuesday to Sunday from 4.30pm the Sunset Bar captures spectacular sunsets over the water and is the perfect spot for a great cocktail or a casual afternoon drink. There's an afternoon frypan menu and everyday drink specials including $6 international beer and wine. Uniquely perched on an idyllic waterfront location in one of Australia's best natural environments, with a menu that lets seasonal produce shine, Noosa Boathouse is a iconic bistro, bar and events destination that truly encapsulates the relaxed Noosa lifestyle.
Australia
“Beautiful View Exceptional Service and Lovely Food”
Reviewed December 21, 2011

We had an early reservation to watch sunset on beautiful noosa river. We were so welcomed and our kids 2 and 4 loved the Where's Wally activity sheets which kept them busy until their food arrived. The service was excellent in difficult crscumstances where the kitchen had just lost power to the fryer and some other cooking equipment which meant the menu available was quite limited. The staff were very proactive in making sure customers knew before they were seated and trying to be as accommodating as possible with changes to meal accompaniments so they could still be selected. The food was wonderful. We enjoyed a cold seafood entree to share which was beautiful and the main courses were lovely as well. This was our favourite meal of the entire 8 day holiday and we thoroughly recommend this place to all. It had a great bar area, quiet spots to seat couples and more open areas that would acommodate familes easily. We will be back one day soon!!

• Visited December 2011

Koroit
“Nice dining experience”
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We have been to the Boathouse twice and have enjoyed it each time. I had the best eye fillet steak that I think I've ever eaten. Yum.

Visited November 2011
Brisbane
“Gorgeous!”
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Beautiful food, wonderful position, really fantastic service.

Visited November 2011
Brisbane, Australia
“Service and food not up to the quality of the location.”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

The first thing that needs to be said about the Boathouse is the location is superb. We arrived via the Noosa Ferry which stops at the pontoon right outside the door - a brilliant way to get into the mood for a special lunch.

The restaurant was busy, but not packed. Service was slow but not so slow I was ever at the point of complaining. But, it took us nearly 2 hours just to be served and eat an entree and a main. As we had to catch the ferry we had to miss dessert.

The first thing that really got me offside was when the Kiwi waitress finally arrived to take our order, she took down one dish, then got totally distracted by someone out near reception. She just stopped talking to us and started mouthing words and gesturing to them. Meanwhile we just sat there until she deigned to get back at us. It was incredibly rude.

Anyway, the menus looked nice and we placed our orders. If you come by ferry you get a free garlic bread. The bread was nice - toasted ciabatta - but there was barely a hint of garlic.

My friend had tempura prawns as an entree. She said there was more tempura than prawn. I had pork belly and scallops. The pork belly was tender and well cooked with a subtle citrus flavour. The scallops, however, were stone motherless cold and had obviously been cooked and set aside for some time before being put on my plate.

My friend had battered fish and chips for her main which she said was 'fine' - and it was certainly a generous serve. My mother had duck breast on a sweet potato rosti. She enjoyed the sweet potato rosti very much but the duck breast was grey, chewy, tasteless and overcooked.

My Mooloolaba prawns with a seafood sauce and a piece of ciabatta bread were beautifully presented and a finger bowl was thoughtfully provided. As someone else has said, below, the Mooloolaba prawns lack a little flavour, but were quite acceptable. The seafood sauce was excellent and there was plenty of it. The chunk of buttered ciabatta was a great addition. At $19 for 1/2 a kilo of prawns, I thought this dish was real value for money.

After waiting quite a long time for our dishes to be cleared, we decided we didn't have time for coffee and dessert. I asked for the bill and inquired whether they took American Express. Our waitress said, we take it but ... (I heard her say it cost them 3%) .... and it would be better if I paid with another card. I didn't want to pay with another card, so I just took my Amex to the counter to pay. Again, she said, "Don't you have another card? American Express will charge you 3% to use that one."

I said, "No, American Express will charge you a merchant fee - I don't pay a fee for transactions."

She insisted that if I used my American Express card it would incur a 3% fee. I was very angry that she'd carried on about the Amex at the table and was now insisting that I should pay the restaurant's merchant fee. I said how very unhappy I was and that I had been considering writing a review of the restaurant online and now I most certainly would. I suggested that this would cost them considerably more than a 3% service charge.

In the end she waived the charge, but our lovely girls' lunch was ruined all because they were greedy. Our $103 dollars for lunch (food only - no wine) wasn't enough for them, they wanted to gouge me for $3 more. If the food had been great and the service wonderful, perhaps I would have grinned and borne it, but this was really the final straw.

So, here is the review. I think it is fair and does not reflect the fact that I was extremely unhappy with the service and attitude of this restaurant. It's a pity because a restaurant with a location as great at this really should offer a much better dining experience.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank ChrysStevenson
Sydney
“Disappointing”
Reviewed September 10, 2011

We waited over an hour for our meal and were told it was because a large group was ahead of us and had arrived earlier. Three of our group ordered steak. Two were ok but the third was tough. The plates and mashed potato were cold.

1 Thank alwaysmore2c