“Disappointed”

Anchorage Port Stephens
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Corlette
“Disappointed”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We booked three rooms a couple of months ago for the weekend. Identical room types and rates. On check in, we were given a room that had no outlook other than a view of a half constructed car park with floodlights at night and very little if no natural light. Our friends were given waterfront rooms with full or partial sea views, each in a different block for the same rate.

We checked in late after a long drive and so enquired the next morning whether we could be moved to another room or pay for an upgrade. We were told that there was only one other room available and it was directly below us. We were also informed that "someone has to stay in those rooms". Whilst we appreciate that rooms must be filled we do not agree that a clearly inferior room should be charged at the same rate, nor that when booking multiple rooms that it should not be disclosed at the time of booking to enable guests to upgrade whilst there is availability. We are very disappointed we have not been offered an alternative room prior to guests arriving during the day. Unfortunately this hotel came highly recommended by a friend who is travelling with us and it is a great disappointment to us as well as our friend that the hotel has not been accommodating nor forthcoming in its disclosure of room types at the time of booking in view of the construction works. The hotel needs to decide whether booking to capacity by not disclosing room types outweighs guest experience and potential return visits and recommendations. Any people booking here should request waterfront rooms or risk a disappointing experience in below average accommodation at high prices. One of our guests works in the travel industry and won't be recommending this hotel again based on this experience.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank shez44
kent w, General Manager at Anchorage Port Stephens, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for your comments after your stay with us.

I have discussed your concerns with our Front Office Manager and we will change around our processes to improve our communication to guests - you are right, proactive communication is always more favourable.

I am sorry you did not received a better experience and we hope that we can welcome you back in the future as we are confident we can deliver a great experience for you next time you visit.

Kind regards
Kent Warren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Sydney
Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband surprised me for a weekend away back in February and after just having a baby, it was definitely a welcome break.

The location is quiet overlooking the marina and from the outside, the hotel looks charming. However, the interiors of the hotel tells a different story.

Let’s bear in mind that this hotel markets itself as a ‘luxury hotel’ with price to match especially in peak season.

When we arrived at the reception, the receptionist, Craig, did not even greet us with simple pleasantries such as “how was your drive?”, but his first words were “how are you paying for your stay?”

Once we settled this part, my baby and I proceeded to our room while my husband unloaded our car and hauled our luggage up the stairs. I was surprised that no one was there to help him or no one at the reception even offered to help.

I was determined to have a great time and we did, but I just found the state of this ‘luxury hotel’ in need of complete revamp. And I am not talking about the decorations but the bare necessities. I have attached photos of the carpet (dirty and stained), curtain (ripped and stained), the balcony (it looked like it hadn’t been swept in more than a month). When we ordered room service, they put our dirty dishes at the corridor and it stayed there for two full days! You can see that folded beds lined up the hallway. All I am saying is, if you charge your clients top dollar then give them the kind of service and amenities that they deserve. Australian tourism industry is in decline. I wonder why?

The restaurant and its staff were its saving grace. I explained to the staff that we have a small baby and she’d be asleep by 7pm, but my husband and I would still love to have a nice dinner. They arranged for us to have our dinner on our balcony and the chef agreed that we could order from the ‘dinner menu’, not just the ‘room service menu’. It really was lovely to be able to have proper meal in the comfort of our balcony. Thanks to the restaurant staff for being accommodating, and the food was superb (lunch and dinner) and reasonable in price. In fact, we only ate here the whole of our stay.

I also had a massage and facial at the spa. The lady there (Karen) was very nice and she gave me the best facial I ever had! Thanks to her and her magical hands. I wish I could go back there for monthly facials but three hour drive for a facial is very far!

The night before the check-out we asked the receptionist if it was possible to check out late. The hotel was empty as it was low season. He said we could only stay till 11am or we’d have to pay full amount. The next morning at about 10am, the phone rang and when I answered it Craig said, “I have you checking out today, but you’re still there.” What is wrong with this man? No “hello”, no “good morning”. I explained to him that he said we could stay til 11am and we were just packing. I was so annoyed. When we got to the reception, Craig had a change of tune and was all nice. He said that we could stay in the pool for as long as we would like. And if we need anything then let them know. I am not a fool. I know exactly why a sudden change of attitude: his boss was standing right behind him!

Next time we are in the area, we would definitely eat the restaurant again and maybe, I will have a facial again! But I am not very keen to stay at this hotel, knowing the price they charge and the kind of room and service that we received last time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Mayufly
We really appreciate your feedback from your stay with us back in February this year.

I am sorry Craig did not display the sort of guest service we pride ourselves on here at Anchorage Port Stephens. Craig is not with the business any longer, however we have taken the rest of the team through your comments.

I have also sat down with the food and beverage team to pass on your very positive comments about the service and food you received. It is this personalised service we aim to instil in the team here.

Thank again and we do look forward to welcoming you back.

Regards
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Anchorage. We had a suite right on the walkway and it was lovely. We had to keep the curtain drawn as there was no privacy as people walked past, looked in or stood and chatted outside our entrance. Still the hotel was not busy so it was ok. Our room was nice and comfortable. What I like about the Anchorage is that it is subtle - everything is subtle about it. The colours, the furniture, the ambience as compared to flashing and sparkling hotels of a similar price range. It is reasonably expensive and for us was a treat and it was mid-week off season. Loved the breakfast. The staff were extremely helpful and polite. Loved the walk to the beach and the walk on the wharfs. The evening restaurant was a little disappointing as the menu was limited and when I asked for a potato instead of some other thing, they couldn't oblige. The hotel is isolated and you need to go in your car if you want to eat elsewhere. The spa was tired looking and not very hot. I normally love my spa.

Room Tip: Perhaps back from the walkways
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sightseerers
Thank you for your positive comments and taking the time let us know about your recent stay with us.

When we complete our refurbishment we aim to retain the subtle nature of the property. It really does just blend into the headland here at Corlette.

I have passed on your positive comments regarding the guest service to the team.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed at the Anchorage for 2 nights and overall found the experience disappointing, from the standards i expected.
I thought this hotel was 4 stars, however it was more like three stars to me. The room itself was lovely, and the grounds were beautiful and kept very nice. The view was great as well, and there are a lot of facilities for offer such as pool, spa, sauna, restaurant and bar. This i found to be the great part of my stay. although there are a lot of facilities, they weren't all that nice. I never used the restaurant- so i shall not comment on that. We went to look at the spa to see if it was something we would be interested in using, but it just looked tired, and old. as did the pool. you are better off going down the road to a beach if you want to swim.
Room service is for offer, however the menu is EXTREMELY limited, and they charge a $5 service fee to bring the food to your room. We didn't feel it was worth it.

The room itself was clean, the bed was alright - i didn't find it overly comfortable, however my other guest said their bed was very comfortable. the pillows weren't nice though.
The bathroom, as previous reviewers have mentioned, is very old and could use with an upgrade. I thought it was clean, but not overly clean. The bath/ shower was good to use, but again its the type of "clean" where it is ok to shower in, but not have a bath in.
I found the rooms to be confusing in terms of lighting. They were very dark in a way.

What i found most disappointing about the trip was the service from the staff. The staff at the reception were the worst. i just could not believe it. The Lady was just so rude to us, we didnt want bother. This was on our first night, and i didn't want to even go back there again to ask other questions because i didn't want to have to deal with her. I, at one point asked if there were facilities to print (which there weren't) and the response i got made me feel like an idiot for even asking. We needed to print a voucher for a activity we were doing, and so i then proceeded to ask if they could use the computers to print it for us. she rudely replied with " When i am not so busy maybe." We just left after that and went some where else to print.

The breakfast staff were quite accommodating, and the food was also alright, however the conditions the buffet was left in were disgusting. at one point i went to get a spoon, for the coffee and it was dirty, another time i went to get some cranberry juice and there was a fly in the jug. The staff were nice enough to bring us some fresh coffee when we asked, and also gave us fresh eggs. overall the buffet looked almost empty and very unclean

I would like to say that the staff member Amanda helped make our stay more enjoyable going out of her way to make it so we could come a night earlier, despite the hotel being very busy. She is obviously a huge asset to your team considering the other staff we came across.

Overall, the hotel is not that bad, however the encounter that we had with the staff really ruined the stay, and made me point out the bad rather than the good. We wouldn't choose here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
kent w, Manager at Anchorage Port Stephens, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us.

Our Front Office Manager, Sharon, mentioned yesterday that you were able to discuss your stay with her over the phone. As Sharon mentioned, we apologise that we did not deliver our usual consistent high level of guest service.

We do hope that we can welcome you back to Port Stephens in the near future when we have refurbished our rooms.

Kind regards
Reviewed September 6, 2013

we stayed for a night last night, the reception staff were excellent warm and friendly. as for the room, hideous green tiles, mouldy kettle, brown stains on the white towels. insects bite me all night. temperature control poor. pool looks lovely. mini bar wrong, accused of having two drinks. high bath tubs, falls risk. view looks great but not a resort by any means, noisy loud construction next door, Definitely no good for families, private ancorage but I wouldn't stay again

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JAMIEDAY2340
kent w, General Manager at Anchorage Port Stephens, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay.

I am please to read about your positive comments about the guest service. The team at the front desk do a great with welcoming our guests and always aim to give that personalised service.

I am sorry to read about some of the points which you did not enjoy about your stay. As I have mentioned in other replies, we are in the process of completing a full refurb on the property. once this is complete, I think we will have a fantastic resort for couples and families alike to come and enjoy a short break away from normality.

meaganl78
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed at the Anchorage for two nights at the end of August and were blessed with exceptionally great weather. We stayed in a loft suite with our two and a half year old. She stayed in a rollaway on the bottom floor and we had the master suite upstairs. We could not fault the service of the staff - from reception, to the bar staff to the restaurant and spa staff. High attention to detail. Merretts - the restaurant - had amazingly good and inventive food. For a quick getaway from Sydney it is beautiful and indulgent. The only minor constructive comment would be that the grounds need a little upgrade. A new car park is being built which will be helpful. The grounds are lovely now just need to be bought up to speed a little. Don't let that sway your decision to stay though - really really lovely!

Room Tip: Loft suite is great for couples or family
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us.

We're really happy that you had such a great time - Port Stephens is a great place just to get away for a short break, sometimes that's all you need to recharge the batteries.

I have passed on the very positive comments about the guest service to all the teams.

I understand your comments about the gardens. We are currently engaging the services of a landscape architect to help us redesign the gardens - this work will commence over the next 2 months.

Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.

Kent
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night while on a tour around NSW. After a warm welcome at reception we settled into our room which was spacious, although tbe bathroom had seen better days. The setting is beautiful and a walk around the marina and along the beach was lovely. We had the three course dinner with free wine which was very nicely prepared and presented and much more reasonable than Sydney prices. After a nice breakfast we checked out to join the dolphin cruise we booked through the hotel. .a nice way to finish our stay at the Anchorage and Port Stephens.

• Stayed August 2013
kent w, General Manager at Anchorage Port Stephens, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us.

Seeing the dolphins and generally being out on the water here at Port Stephens is definitely a great way to finish any holiday - there are so many dolphins jumping about.

I will pass on your positive feedback to the food and beverage team - they are doing a great job!

We are in process of refurbishing the property, which includes refitting all of our bathrooms. The team are really looking forward to showing off the property once all of the work is completed.

Kent Warren
Also consider these accommodations in or near Corlette
Mantra Aqua
#8 of 16 in Nelson Bay
Port Stephens Marina Resort
Port Stephens Marina Resort
#13 of 16 in Nelson Bay

Been to Anchorage Port Stephens? Share your experiences!