Anchorage Port Stephens
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Oaks Pacific Blue Resort(Salamander Bay)
Central Motel(Nelson Bay)
Cote D'Azur(Nelson Bay)
  • Pool
The Nelson Resort(Nelson Bay)
  • Pool
All reviewsport stephensmaster suiteoverlooking the marinathe general managerhigh teasmall beachlovely locationbreakfast buffet isdinner menuwait staffromantic getawayrestaurant staffthe galleyour wedding anniversarya ground floor roommid weekoysters
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 22, 2011

MARGINAL: Company business function prior to the long Easter weekend. Hotel was only marginally full. The weather was fantastic which contributed to an overall pleasant stay, this is clearly not a place to be if it's raining!

Room: The rooms are plain and a bit dated. My room faced the marina. Lighting was a bit dim. Bathrooms were in good repair but odd dated colors. Decent lighting and good hot water No room to room noise was noted (here I note that the hotel load was light during our stay). There is no wireless internet (in my room) however I managed to access it using the TV Ethernet port. There is no headboard for the bed. Perhaps the largest offense is that the mattress was simply shot (a criminal offense for a hotel).

Restaurant: We had set menus for dinner and the food was pleasantly presented, but here again nothing over the top special. The highlight was breakfast, a redeeming quality, a large buffet spread was a a treat each day. Our catered conference food was quite good and again well presented.

Service: Good service and no complains. Our conference room was super for an off site meeting and with the good weather afforded beautiful views of the marina and backdrop.

Summary: The good weather and light guest load made for an enjoyable experience. I suspect a high guest load and bit of off weather could quickly color one's recommendation (as others have shown). The bedding was the one sour note.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank roadwarrior30
Reviewed April 19, 2011

We stayed at Peppers for one night while waiting for our accommodation in Port Nelson to become available. We were in a ground floor room with a spectucular view of the car park - really looking at the undersides of cars - it would have been very unpleasant indeed to sit outside the room if we had wanted to. The room was large and the bed comfortable which is the best I can say about the hotel. When we checked in there was no towels or shampoo and soap in the room (although this was quickly resolved). We ate at the restaurant and the meal was ok - certainly nothing special. The most irksome thing was the additional charge for the use of a credit card - this seems very dated and irritating in this day and age.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank debking10
Reviewed April 17, 2011

My husband and I booked this hotel as a "babymoon", our last holiday away until our little one arrives. Stupidly I did not check the dates for school holidays and having been to other Peppers resorts I did not realise this one would be so child friendly.

We stayed in a loft in the Corlette house. We had a water view, but unfortunately a view of the pool also so were woken early and kept up late by the 20 odd kids that were in the pool at any one time. Being eight months pregnant, I was too nervous to use the pool and the tiny indoor spa due to kids doing bombs off the side of the pool and spa also as I was worried I might get hit. The weather was also quite poor so we stayed indoors for most of the trip which was a shame.

Every staff member that we came into contact with for the whole trip were lovely and so friendly which was fantastic. We stayed in a loft suite and the room was nice with a comfortable bed and good airflow. The selection of pay per view movies was good and we did not have any issues with TV reception as past guests have written about.

We found the food at the resort to be good. We had lunch at the captains bar, buffet breakfasts at Merretts, high tea and room service and found it all really nice with lovely service. We were going to have dinner at Merretts, but if you want to spend a few hundred dollars on a meal, in an environment that is as noisy as the local McDonalds is not really where you are going to want to do this so we ate elseswhere.

If you are a family, this resort will be perfect for you. If you are a couple of looking for a childless weekend away, maybe think twice about booking here because there seemed to be more children than adults and as much as I love children, I would have enjoyed my babymoon so much more if we had been able to use the facilities and have a peaceful weekend which was not possible with the noise being on par with the local swimming pool.

Room Tip: Ask for accommodation not facing the pool
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bensgirlSydney
Reviewed April 17, 2011

We were upgraded to the master suite which was superb. The highlight was watching the dolpins out at sea from the balcony.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank suejm
Reviewed March 20, 2011

Realy nice hotel in a great location with it's own marina. Do need to drive in to the nearest town (10 mins or so) or an hours walk.

Room was really nice and big.

Restuarant was good and food reasonably priced.

Nothing to do with the hotel, but the only downside was that it rained the whole time we were there and there's not a great deal to do in the area in the rain. So make sure you do your best to get there when the weathers good.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple