“An excellent vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Kato Zakros B&B and Inns
Tel Aviv, Israel
“An excellent vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2011

Three years ago we bumped into Yiannis retreat and spent 1 night after which we decided to spend more time in the following year. We did so and reserved 3 nights after which we decided to spend more time in the following summer. Last summer we spend a whole week, infact our entire vacation, in this wonderful place and plan to come again and again. The place built and operated by this wonderful couple, Yiannis and Katerina, is so inviting that we believe we can spend even longer periods there and enjoy the tranquility, the beauty of the place and the nice company of Yiannis and Katerina.
Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank OFER D

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Crete, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

We decide with my family to have a few days (and that was our mistake) in Kato Zakros in July of 2011, that was the best choice we ever take for our holidays.

When we arrive and see the studios Yiannis Retreat in kato Zakros the first that it came in our mind that we found our little paradise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So beautiful, amazing place, with so warm people.
The studios are in traditional style , decorated by Yiannis!!!!
All and more from the basic facilities in the studio .
You can have also and tablets for mosquito !!!!
You sleep very deep as a baby!!!!!
A key element in yiannis retreat is when you go
after the stress of everyday life there are all so peaceful - beautiful that only two hours sleep is enough, because in lulls so beautiful nature itself, the song of birds, making magic !!!!!!!!!

They have take care everything in the studio with love just to make the visitors to feel like their, home…"as Yiannis said to us siga-siga...."that’s mean in Greek not be anxious, feel your holidays as good you can.....

The outside of rooms are full of flowers, trees, figs trees etc, where there are kiosk for shadow, hammocks with comfortable chairs and sofas where you can relax and be so lazy...
But the best we had is the really smile
They had and the feeling of Cretan hospitality we had. The real way of Cretan accommodate......we found it there.....

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank tina_micha06
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

I decided to write a review here as I couldn't find a separate post for Yannis retreat and because Stella recommended it... I wrote my review last year but I JUST realised that it was posted for a different hotel!

Before I say anything about our experience, I would like to say that the apartments are beautiful and very clean, with a traditional Cretan touch, surrounded by flowers and plants.

We decided to book with Yannis Retreat for 3 days from Tuesday to Friday. When we arrived on Tuesday Yannis warmly welcomed us and said he would later bring us stuff for breakfast and raki and wine to welcome us. (On their website it says that the price of the room includes a 'basket' of ingredients to make breakfast). That was the last time we saw him that day. The reception hall was closed all day and we couldn't contact him as there is no signal in that part of the area.

The next morning I was sitting outside when I saw him briefly, he said 'goodmorning' and I thought he was going to bring us 'the breakfast basket'. I tried to find him later but the cleaning lady said he was gone. So we asked her about breakfast and she gave us 5 pieces of sliced bread and a few cookies. We finally got the basket that night at 22:00. I'd also like to say that the place is FULL of flies and all you do when you sit outside is fight with them so I preferred to sit in the room.

Unfortunately that day we found out that we had to cut our trip short. My friend found out that a family member was admitted to hospital so he had to fly back home on Friday. I tried to get in touch with Yannis's wife Katerina so I sent her a message that we couldn't stay until Friday and we would have to leave the day after. There was noone at reception and I didn't hear anything back from them. The next morning, Stella (who is Yannis sister) came with a cocky and snob attitude and told us that because of the late cancellation we would have to pay the full price of the room for that night. We said we would wait for Yannis to arrive to sort it out. (Of cours he wasn't there!)
When he arrived he said he would lose money and that he had to transfer some bookings because he was fully booked. Of course that was a lie because the apartment next to us was empty for 2 days! We asked him that we expected to pay half the price or with a small discount. He said that from the law we are supposed to pay the full price. May I just add that we never got a receipt (which is illegal!), I sent them an email to ask for it I complained about their service....Yannis's wife got back to me a few days later and she said that I shouldn't complained about the 'breakfast basket' since we got it at the end. She also told me that the only mistake they made was that they should have charged us for the half price of the rooom not the full price as it was late cancellation.

Also when we booked they asked us for a deposit for 2 nights. I have stayed in many hotels in Greece and they may ask for deposit for 1 night (or for none!)

I found their service unacceptable to say the least. And I would also urge foreign tourists not to bite into everything the Greek hotel owners tell them. As you know Greece is in crisis and you would expect that they would try and do their best to promote tourism and have the best service. You should ALWAYS negotiate (for the price for example) and never give 2 nights deposit. (By the way, on their website it says nothing about late cancellation etc...)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank bluesun_gr
katerinadas, Owner at Yiannis Retreat, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Dear Visitors ,
I take the change to write you as an owner of Yiannis Retreat Studios in Kato Zakros-Sitia-Crete to express my opinion about a review witch public in TripAdvisor for our place.
I believe the review violates our guidelines, because read it many people and
Not visit our place-detraction our place!
I need to explain that the visitor who write the review about us , write it to
accuse us in their way of our accommodation by their opinion.
The young visitors write the review because
1) We realize that did not like the Place Kato Zakros (is a quiet coastal village with not night life)
2) We asked him to pay the cancelation of his booking and he refused when they did not stay longer as they booked..
3) We did not a advertised in our website that we offer “brekfast” in the studio , they make a mistake from Other website.

“The visitors choose to stay and booked for 3nights in July 2010 , when they come as they said to us they find our studios beautiful, clean, hospitable etc. but I noticed they were not satisfied with the place of Kato Zakros, as Kato Zakros is a quiet place, close to nature, untouched by modern tourism, when they stay 1night next morning suddenly they decide to leave for personal reasons as said, and inform us by SMS and not even call us ,as in the Reception there is telephone contact,
We ask to pay the rest of booking, and refuge .Legally should know that
must pay for cancelation as there is a Tourism statement inside the studio
wich mention about the policy. After of many negotiations paid and one of them said to us : “ you will see what I write for you..…”

When we recognize that we make a mistake in the charge of room about cancellation contact them and send back the money and apologize to them for our mistake!!. The only thing we make mistake was that!

Anything we advertised in our website is truth and we provided all. With anybody who choose us to have their holidays we inform them about our policy.

Will be kind of you to consult that we respect all the visitor who choose us
for their holiday and public and my opinion .

Yiannis Retreat Studios Kato Zakros Crete
#5 of 6 in Kato Zakros
Katerina Apartments
Katerina Apartments
#4 of 6 in Kato Zakros

Been to Yiannis Retreat? Share your experiences!