“A perfect bolt-hole”

Dante's Maisonettes Hotel
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We had a wonderful week here last summer. Lovely rooms, close to the beach, run by a very friendly and accommodating family.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alexander E

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have recently returned from staying at one of the studios. They are in a quite location close to a safe sandy blue star beach. Modern, extremely clean, secure and with good air conditioning and easy parking. Anastacio the owner, his wife and their delightful young son Dante, were very attentive and concerned that I should have all that I needed to make my stay as enjoyable as possible. They succeeded. I wish that I could have stayed longer.
I have no hesitation in recommending these studio apartments and will return.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Mary E
Reviewed May 11, 2012

From the moment we arrived at this family run business we knew we'd made the right decision.

Anastacio greeted us with a beaming smile and made my wife and I feel so very welcome. He showed us our room which had amazing views over the Ionian sea.... but we were offered an upgrade to a larger room and took up this kind offer. It had everything we needed and everything about it said "Quality"....

The position of the Maisonettes is perfect for a quiet stay, it's only 30 metres from a beautiful sandy beach and 4/5 mins walk to shops and Tavernas with amazing locally grown and fished food. Parking was to the side of the property... no issues here.
The breakfast is basic, French toast, honey, Jam, coffee and juice, but very adequate. The whole block is immaculate and they are obviously very proud and bedding is changed frequently and rooms cleaned daily to a very high standard.
The bed was very comfortable and we slept well throughout the whole stay.
The whole family were charming and helped us with questions that we had, we were also offered use of their lap top which was way above what you would expect.

I can't praise this place enough.... we will be going back in September and May next year.

Thank you for a great holiday.

Room Tip: All rooms are immaculate. Views are obviously better on first floor.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marty C
Reviewed December 24, 2011

We were really excited about visiting Dantes when we booked it. Initially we had looked at the Amoudi hotel and even visited there on a previous trip to Zakynthos to check it out. It looked like a really nice hotel and the owner was very friendly but after finding Dantes on the internet we decided to take the risk and book there instead.
Dantes was slightly more expensive but we liked the look of the rooms and though that the sea view would be worth the extra money so we booked it. All through the booking process we received good communication from Anastacio the owner. I'd booked through Travel Republic but had e mailed him directly to check that we would be provided with a cot for our 1 year old boy. Anastacio had confirmed one was allocated for us, everything was in order and we were really looking forward to our visit,
The maisonettes took some finding even though we know Zakynthos quite well. They are on a very quiet little road down by the sea just outside Amoudi. We were met at the front gate by Anastacio who was very welcoming and helped us carry our luggage to our room. He appeared kind and very friendly and good with the kids. He explained that there had been a misunderstanding with Travel Republic and some sort of double booking had happened but he had upgraded us to a two storey maisonette as we had young children. Naturally we were very pleased and on entering the maisonette we were sure we had picked the right hotel. They were pretty much brand new, built a year ago and very quaint and welcoming. We were slightly concerned about the open staircase with no bannister but that was only a small issue.
Anastacio took great pride in showing us around and explained how the air conditioning worked and some other important points. Like how Zakynthos is very short of water and how we should try and use as little as possible. I thought this was a little odd as we had been to the island many times before and never been told this before. Our bedroom was upstairs and had a nice balcony with a lovely view over the sea. Our baby cot was not available when we arrived (around 10PM) and we had to wait for Anastacios wife to arrive with it but she was with us within 10 minutes or so.
We got unpacked, got the kids off to bed and headed off to bed ourselves. We were woke in the early hours by an amorous Greek couple next door. We waited for them to finish what they were doing and got back off to sleep again, noting that the walls were paper thin.
The next morning my wife woke with a bad back and on inspection of our bed we discovered that it was just a regular mattress on top of a concrete, yes concrete base. We had seen what we thought was a spare mattress in the roof space above the bathroom and I proceeded to take it out of its plastic bag and put it underneath our other mattress. We had done this before in other hotels in Zakynthos and it had solved the bad back issue.
We had some breakfast and jumped in the car to go get some shopping. Parking is difficult around the maisonettes. It’s a case of trying to squeeze into a gap on a side road and not always very easy. There’s a chicken farm at the top of this side road and at certain times of the day your car needs to be off the road so the trucks can get up and down.
On return from our shopping trip we were surprised to find Anastacio in our room. He was very angry and asked me to go upstairs with him. He asked who had given me permission to take the mattress out of the bag. I said I thought it was a spare and he very angrily said it wasn’t a spare and it was waiting to go back to the supplier for credit. He then took me downstairs and gave me a hard time for not having locked the balcony door properly. The left part of the door needed bolting before locking the right side of the door. I had incorrectly assumed that the bolt action of the right door would lock the left door. He wasn’t happy at all. He got back to the subject of the mattress and proceeded to explain to us that the mattress supplier was now likely to tell him to F… off. This was in front of our 1 and 4 year old kids that we never swear in front of. I asked him to calm down and he made for the door, adding that we had left the pushchair too near to the door (?) and that this was the sort of trouble he always had with English people.
We now felt very unwelcome and uncomfortable. Anastacio is an imposing man, very well built and very clearly with a short fuse. He had explained to us how he was number 5 in Greece at Greco Roman wrestling and he was hoping to visit London in 2012 to referee the sport in the Olympics.
Later that day I had a chat with him and apologised for the mattress incident. I had replaced the mattress in the bag now and put it back in the alcove as it was originally. I guessed we would just have to persist with the uncomfortable bed. He had calmed down now and we shook hands. I thought that might have been the end of the experience and we got back to trying to enjoy our holiday.
That night our little boy would not settle in his cot and about 20 minutes after putting him down he was sick in the cot. I rinsed Anastacios sheets in the shower and put them out on the balcony to drip dry whilst we used a spare blanket we had taken.
That night the air conditioning started playing up, switching itself on an off during the night. Along with an irritating beep each time it went off, it then got very warm in the room.
I went to see Anastacio the next morning and gave him the now dry sheets explaining that I’d rinsed them but they would need a wash. He looked at me as if to say ~what did I want him to do about it and then asked me if I wanted a new sheet for Harry. I said not if it was any trouble as we had a spare of our own. We never did get a spare sheet and used our spare for the rest of the holiday.
I was really nervous about mentioning the air conditioning to him but he came straight round to look at it. On inspection of the balcony door he said he thought we had broken it unintentionally. Again he wasn’t pleased but seemed to sort of accept that we hadn’t broken it deliberately.
As an engineer, I was keen to know what we had done to break the air conditioning. We were used to seeing magnetic switches on balcony doors to trip the air conditioning if the door was opened but there were no switches visible here. I assumed they were inside the frame as the air con still did trip when you opened the door.
Anastacio called in an engineer to look at the air con and after another hot night we were told on return from the beach that the engineer had been and replaced a faulty switch in the door frame. He now knew it wasn’t our fault but we didn’t get an apology.
It was now getting to the stage where we didn’t want to go back to the room. We had asked for a plug for the kitchen sink as there wasn’t one. How he expected us to minimise water usage without a sink plug for washing up was inconceivable.
My wife and I discussed the situation and agreed that we now felt very unwelcome and that Anastacio was becoming increasingly hostile. I told him that we would be leaving, 3 nights before the end of our holiday. As my wife packed up I went into Amoudi and met Pepi at the Amoudi Beach hotel where I booked their last spare room. We moved that morning and had a fantastic time. Pepi was so friendly and the hotel very welcoming, exactly the opposite to what we’d experienced with Dantes. The stay cost me an extra 180 Euros but was worth every penny.
I’m still very angry about our stay at Dantes. We are reasonable people that respect other people’s property and were made to feel like irresponsible idiots at Dantes. Anastacio is very much in the wrong industry and is much better suited to refereeing fights. At one stage he told us that he was very well known in Zakynthos and had lots of friends if there was going to be any trouble.
All in all a very unpleasant experience, probably the worst we’ve had in extensive travel all over the world. There was absolutely no reason for Anastacio to be so hostile and angry with us apart from his temper and if it hadn’t been for the hospitality we’d received at Amoudi Beach Hotel I think after 7 or 8 holidays there we would have fallen out with Zakynthos for good. Thankfully Pepi showed us how wonderful the Greek people CAN be and we thoroughly enjoyed the rest of our holiday in their wonderful hotel.
We will never go back to Dantes. My wife and I even agreed that even if we were offered a free week to return we would much rather pay and go elsewhere. We will never go back here and whilst I’m unhappy that we had to forfeit £200 or so to leave early, we most definitely made the right decision.

Room Tip: Stay at Amoudi Beach Hotel !
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
18  Thank Misterfrostie
Anastasios T, Owner at Dante's Maisonettes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2012

When I read this hateful and provocative review against me and my family owned business I thought I should not bother at all due to a rare incident and to be more specific "the only incident that I have had in my whole career as a Landlord and a hotel manager." Please keep in mind that I own a 4 story hotel/apartments in a ski resort for over 20 years.
To be more specific, this particular guest made an arrangement with a travel agency for a 37sqm flat that on our own part was not available until the following week. Because we like to offer our guests a nice experience, we decided that we would provide a bigger and more luxurious unit measuring 56sqm with no change in the price at all.
The arrival of this guest and his family was late that night but it is our custom to be there and welcome our customers 24/7. We greeted them and me and my wife both explained that we would provide a bigger unit for the same fee and showed them the premises and everything that they may have needed to know during their stay in our hotel. It is a standard and pleasant procedure that we follow upon every arrival.
Please allow me now to be more specific on the allegations.
The first one was the issue about the cot. On the new, bigger unit there was no cot because we have an extra big sofa that would normally sleep an adult and families usually share this one with the kids. The referred guest requested a cot and without any waste of time it was ready in 10 minutes.
The issue with the water in the area is well known among the residents of the island and that's why I tried to explain to him that the mayor has to stop the water flow for a day or two sometimes due to excessive demand. What’s more, the referred guest arrived on the 23rd of August. This is one day before the festival for our Patron Saint, Saint Dionysios. This is the biggest festival on the island, during which, the island is literally flooded with tourists and faithful people that wish to visit the church. This a major reason for water shortage. While we are used to this standard procedure from the island officials my hotel owns a huge tank that will allow 45 guests to enjoy their stay without any worry about shortage in the water. This specific time the water was not going to be provided for 3 or more days by the city. I wanted to inform the referred guest about the whole situation and that the city water was going to be available by the city the next morning. To my reflection I don’t really know if he took it the nice way when I informed him or not. I will blame it on my English and my accent if he misunderstood me.

Now to the mattress issue: Beds are traditionally built king size in Greece and the mattresses in my accommodation are completely new and orthopedic 2.10x1.60x0.15. I have spoken to a lot of friends of mine around Greece in the same business and they all use the same product because, after all, it’s the best for children. Now, I can understand that the specific client did not like the mattress although his actions do not match his accusations. There was a storage area above the bathroom with a much smaller mattress in there and by the way the same type as the one on the bed (orthopedic). He managed to get up there, take it down, tear it out of its box and place it underneath the bigger sized mattress. The small mattress is 1.60x1.15.0.08. I am still, to this day trying to figure out what was the purpose of placing a smaller sized mattress as hard as the other one underneath the bigger one.
That mattress was not for that kind of use or any use in that unit and that’s why it was in storage. He could have called me and I would have provided him with an air-mattress or a water based mattress.
I am a conscious businessman that does not speak great English and along with my lovely wife and son of 13 years of age, all work to do and provide the best for our customers. When someone asks me for something they need, if I have it on my premises, I will gladly provide it for them. This is the spirit of hospitality here in the Greek Islands.
When he returned the next day I kindly had a nice conversation with him that went like this: Last night you had to get the mattress above the storage compartment...OK, you used it ...OK, but why did you have to shred its wrapping into pieces? He looked at me strangely and I thought it was my English again. Then we walked upstairs together and I explained it again and he seemed to understand. Everything was fine because he seemed like he understood my recommendation. He has the right to use everything inside the accommodation but does he have the right to destroy them too? I cannot return this mattress because he totally destroyed the package it was in and I am thus obliged to keep it even though I have no use for it.
After that, he walked right behind me at the door and he asked me for a sink plug and I immediately replied that I don’t have one because the design of the brand new sink was not made that way.
He wanted to wash clothes but once again he did not ask me about our fully functioning laundry room. I realized his habits later but it was too late for me to help.
He also mentioned that I am an intimidating man. I am far from intimidating because I am short. I do work out regularly and I used to practice Greco Roman wrestling while I was a little kid which is a custom sport for every Greek person. I was quite far from being the 5th in Greece and from competing. That was when I was 12 years old and not now at the age of 55.
He also mentioned that I have a chip on the shoulder for the English people. This is far from true. Till that date I had 3 English families visiting with us and many other families with different nationalities. Never ever have I had a problem with any of those respectful guests. I have also visited London 3 times in my life as I like it and enjoy the culture there very much so.
I would also like to mention that until this day I have had mostly English people staying with us and they are the 30% of my business. They have also complimented my hotel on various websites.
As far as the towels and the kitchen amenities, we are far from not providing enough for our guests. The complaint about the closet is beyond true too. Please check the pictures of our website and the truth can be seen. The photos are an irrefutable witness. They saw everything in the photos. If they didn’t like it why did they finally choose our hotel among a thousand others? Our hotel is brand new.
The incident with the truck passing by is true and I asked some of our guests to move their vehicles for 5 minutes only until the truck was gone. Everyone was very helpful. I was there to manage the whole situation and even the referred guest was smiling and joking with me and everyone else as well. I must correct him though because there is no chicken farm near my accommodation and a large truck passing by is something that my happen from time to time and not a regular occurrence. This is obvious as it happened only once during his stay.
Regarding the air-conditioning and the balcony door, the minute he started complaining about it I called the technician who came within an hour and fixed everything as it should be. Keep in mind that the building is brand new and some things fail to my surprise too.
The complaint about the loud Greeks has nothing to do with reality because there were none in the premises at that time. Only international guests were visiting and we are far away from bars and clubs. No one else complained except for him.

As far as the breakfast issue is concerned, the referred guest’s contract does not justify any breakfast service. When he asked me about prices for his friends, the prices I gave him included breakfast as this would have been an individual booking and not one made through an agency. For some reason he assumed that he was entitled to this service and he mentions it in his complaint to make things look awful. This is absurd as his booking did not include breakfast. Apparently, this is the kind of person the referred guest is. Always trying to manipulate the system and walk away with a refund too.

Based on his emails to me before his arrival, he wanted to bring some other friends of his to our hotel. These friends were staying in a close by hotel and he mentioned that they were not happy at all because it was noisy and dirty. After I explained the price range for them, the next day he told me that his friends had a better stay the last couple of days and they would stay there. This is not what he says in his review. To my knowledge and understanding, he was trying to find excuses to cancel the accommodation acquire the refund from us and move closer to his friends.
As I mentioned above, I never ever had an issue with any of my guests and especially lovely English people. I have very close friends from England and they visit me throughout the year.

I hope the referred guest will be more sincere in his next reviews and not distort the truth as he has done for my accommodation.

Anastasios

Reviewed September 15, 2017

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed September 8, 2017

Room Tip: Die Zimmer im Obergeschoss sind deutlich größer und gemütlicher
  • Stayed: September 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2017

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family
Anastasios T, Manager at Dante's Maisonettes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2017

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ammoudi
Yria Hotel
#3 of 12 in Zakynthos Town
Eco Resort Zefyros
Eco Resort Zefyros
#1 of 1 in Agios Kirikos

Been to Dante's Maisonettes Hotel? Share your experiences!