“food poisoning???????”

Turtle Beach Hotel
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
“food poisoning???????”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

DONT get me wrong we dont normally care where we stay but this hotelis the worst ever, we are a family who like to have a good time on our hols. so just got back on the 25th sept 2012 after a week at this hotel. we arrived at 8pm and there was a lady (cleaner) who couldnt speak english at all who gave us 1 rom key for 9 of us when we booked for three rooms, we managed to tell her 3 rooms not one so showed us to our rooms.
2 rooms were upstairs and one downstairs near reception.
impression of the rooms was basic but some of them were large and clean. but the one downstairs was dreadfull!! looked out onto a brick wall, when you went to the toilet it would come out onto your feet yuk! so next morning asked to be moved. also they made us take a child age 3 go up 3 flights of stairs so they had to move to.
NO ENTERTAINMENT apart from a guy playing the same cds over and over (ub40)
pool was freezing no free snacks cold water in the shower. no tea or coffee served at the bar.
resturant was down the road and the staff were very rude.
two of my daughters were told to leave their food and go back and put a tshirt on as this is a resturant. but it was ok for men to sit in their with speedos and tops off??
also my son forgot his wrist band one night and was also told to leave his food and go get it.
seeing they have seen him for the whole week and even chatted to him but still wanted the wrist band.

9 of us went on this hoilday and all 9 ended up ill for a day or two
you were either sick or it came out the other end, but we were not the only ones most of the hotel was the same, i will await to read their review.
food was cold so get down their at 6pm. pasta chips every night. limited to drinks also ran out of things.
nothing for kids to do!!! i would not recomend this hotel to anyone. great for yobs who just want to get drunk. which was every night which we had to listen to them being sick.
**************************THIS HOTEL SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN*******************************

Room Tip: this hotel should be shut down!!!!!!!!
4 Thank m0therbear69

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I am just back from an all inclusive week with my friend at this hotel. We did not have massive expectations and just wanted it to be clean with reasonable food which it was.

When we arrived we did have to wait for the cleaner to be woken up to let us into our room, but we found this funny. We are in greece and its a different way of life than in the UK. We did get the opprtunity to pick between 2 rooms. Our room was at the back of the complex, was basic and clean and we received clean linen and towels every 2 days.

The food is ok but we did decide to eat out a couple of nights and recommend the bommarang tavern 2 doors down. The food was very good, the staff were lovely and friendly and it was very reasonably priced.

The bar is not really all inclusive, you can drink local cheap beer until 10 and cocktails, wine and beer but the taste is bearable. After 10pm when the all inclusive stops you found that the vodka started to taste like vodka and the cocktails tasted better as they started to use better quality alcohol as you are paying for it. If you are a woman beware of the barman, he is a sleaze and believes that every woman is tempted by his cheap chat up lines and that we love being called sexy all the time. I dont know how but it seemed to work on some other residents. My tip for the barman, shut up and serve and stop with your crap sexual jokes.

The receptionist Christine was friendly towards us and have no complaints. There are 2 cleaners who seem to work 24 hours the day are so hard working and friendly.

Hotel is in a good location and close to Laganus and you can walk along the beach during the day or get an 8euro taxi at night to the strip for a late night. I do recommend hiring a boat and exploring the islands and snorkelling.

There is a mix of people at this hotel and overall the majortiy were very friendly and we did have a laugh. Some people spent their holiday complaining constantly but we thought what is the point, you may as well enjoy as much as you can while you are there. We did meet some great people though and had a good time with them.

The hotel does need some investment and needs modernising and a lot of tlc and needs to do a bit more on the food and all inclusive front.

Overall we did have a good holiday but would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Geraldine H
Morecambe, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We moved to this hotel the day we arrived,it is right on the beach with a beautiful view.The awful pictures on here,we never saw any of that,clean bedding and towels regularily and the cleaner couldn't do enough for you.
Not worth the all inclusive for anybody as its cheap to eat in the local restaurants nearby,bit boring at night if you don't go out,but a taxi into Laganas is only 8 euro's.
I would say mainly for teenagers,not elderly or young children,nothing for them to do,but all in all we had a nice relaxing 2 week's there :))

Room Tip: Always ask for a pool or seaview room,as a lot of them have a balcony facing a wall,but be warned it...
2 Thank missjoseph
Bellshill, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband, my kids (age2&1) and I have literally just returned from this hotel on the 17th sept. we arrived at the hotel at approx 6:30 am to be greeted my no receptionist and waited a further 30-40 minutes till the cleaner arrived who couldn't speak a word of English (who was actually Albanian). After trying to understand each other she showed us to our first room which was filthy and smelled very unpleasant. They floor was completely covered in dust and sand. There was no light in the enterance to the room, the door to the toilet didn't close, there was a hole in the ceiling with the toilet down pipe from other rooms coming through. Everytime other guests used the toilet in the rooms above we could hear their deposits flow down the pipe when they flushed. The apartment had two rooms one with a terrace that looked straight on to the bar which had music blaring till the wee small hours, furthermore while sitting in the terrace my daughter who is one got through the bars of the railing which also lead straight out to the swimming pool which was 1.55m deep. The toilet was filthy covered in grime over the taps, toilet handle, shower and over the shower floor. There was graffiti on the walls that they tried to wash off with no luck and the plug sockets in the second room were gaming off the wall at easy touching level for the kids. Complete danger hazard.

I went to complain to the receptionist when she finally made an appearence to be greeted by a very abrupt, arrogant and extremely rude female who was ages with myself. I told her the issues with my room and she practically frog marched me to the room to show her what I was meaning. Her reply was " you see my lady this is not dirty it cause it has been used for over two years". I told her it wasn't acceptable she then said " this is Greece and maybe I'm too fussy" when I asked to be moved to a different room she told me to go back to the reception in an hour cause she would have to get someone to clean a room for me.

When I went back I was shown a room which wasn't much better and she told me that I should get on to my company and get moved out her hotel.
After calling triton rooms they were less than helpful and we were stuck. That night we were still stick in the first dirty room and the smell of sewage became almost unbearable. The following day my husband went back to ask yet again for another move she treated him in the same way. He told her to smell she replied "see mr this is Greece" (this is not our first time in Greece but it is the first time were smelt this in the hotel room) she then offered him the same room as she offered us the day before which had been cleaned again which we eventually moved to to make it safer for my kids.

There was a tornado that hit the island when we were there which flooded our room twice and we were stuck in the room with the two kids as there was nothing in or around the hotel to entertain the kids or adults for that matter.

Room Tip: Don't go at all!!!!!!!!!
1 Thank janestewart08

Travelers are raving about these Agios Sostis hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We have toured all over the Greek Isles. We are in our 40's. We both work in the public sector serving all walks of life. When i booked this through Purple travel, i hadn't read any of the reports a nd i must say Caroline who i booked it with was the only bright star in frankly a very poor service once i'd given my card details over. We tried to change holidays before we left for Greece but never got an answer back. perhaps if i'd have asked for Caroline i might have got somewhere.
Anyhow, we arrived with an open mind because we, as stated, have been all over Greece and knew what to expect. TRUST ME, we never expected what was to come!!!!
I was served a GLASS pint of Greek lager as my first drink. I now know that this was a mistake because i had not been to fetch my 'All Inclusive wristband' from the Restaurant up the road. Once i'd donned my wristband it all changed.
After the first night of non-stop noise and partying from the other guests i asked for us to be moved to another room. Kristina, the owner, made several excuses and seemed to have an answer for all. She comes across as a nice welcoming lady until you have a complaint. Perhaps she should eat her snickers before she deals with your average Joe Bloggs. There are only 2 other entities in life worse than her, wasps, and traffic wardens. After complaining quite reasonably, she said it might be better if we left the hotel for good as she didnt want any more complaints!!!! Once i had reminded her that she had no legal requirement to hold either mine, my wifes or any other poor suspecting holiday makers passports ( one couple were still waiting for theres approx 6 hours before leaving for their flight??) she quietened down a little and turned her attentions to another complainer. We saw many during the week.
Ok, so here is the lowdown. Kristina made excuses that she 'keeps telling everyone the holiday is only 3 star.' You can tell when Kristina is lying, her mouth moves. The standard of the Turtle beach hotel is way,way below 3 star. I wouldnt even give it a 1. The rooms are disgracefull. We are used to basic rooms in Greece because we usually go self catering but these are not of a standard that you would let out to a 'family' as which it is advertised.
When they have got rooms to let, after the bookings from home etc, they let the other rooms out for as little as 4 euros per night which only attracts one type of holiday maker. Laganas is only 1km away and the rest is history. The pool bar churns out rave/techno at earsplitting levels from 10am to whenever it feels like it. The 4 euro a nighters come back at around 4.30am and shout, argue, fight, and more. It wouldnt be so bad if they did it in there OWN rooms. You will not get sleep here at night, full stop! The beer is a served to you from a can hidden in the fridge in a plastic cup. The spirits are so clear in the bottle that they are either blanched by the sun or watered down. Indeed there are two different spirit sections, one for paying guests and one for alleged all inclusives. The bartender does however serve his many friends with a nice glass Mythos filled pint while you sit with your plastic vended one.
We headed up to the restaurant, again with an open mind. After the 3rd day we were eating out in the tavernas. It wasnt that the food was bad, but the same food every night becomes a little tedious. It also serves at least 3 other hotels and becomes very busy. The staff are miserable to say the least. I have to watch certain foods myself, which is my own set of problems, but on the 3rd night it was either a plate full of broccoli or nothing. We didnt eat there again, only to get a pinch of breakfast the odd morning.
If you need a descent meal the 'Ole Ole Taverna' which whilst not having the most traditional name is a little gem up the road a bit in Agios Sostis. Failing that the 'Boomerang' a couple of doors down is good also.
We are normal everday people having visited greece around 12 different times on around 7 different islands. We have seen all different standards good and bad. I have never had the cause to write on something like tripadvisor. When we get a bad side to the holiday we just avoid that part again and get on with it. The shear ammount of people that i witnessed complaining at various different times within the week we were there has prompted me to my first.
The Turtle Beach Hotel and its dark and dreary alias Arkadianos Apartments should be shut down and a government health warning stamped on the building and across Kristinas fifteen storey mouth. IT REALLY IS THAT BAD!!!!

Room Tip: A GOOD room?????? Please please please go somewhere else other than here.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We were sold this hotel as 3 star all inclusive in a quiet hotel ideal for couples and families. Its not 3 star - I'd say its barely 1 star. Its not all inclusive ( and the drinks ARE watered down) and its NOT for families. Its so loud all day all night. I'm pleased to be home to get some sleep.
Reception: No one ever there - they keep your passport ( when they do turn up to check you in) and your hard pushed to get it back in time for your flight home.They advertise local beers - you get warm cans of heineken served to you in a plastic vending cup a very small plastic vending cup. There are two sections of spirits, one for the "paying" customer and one for the all inclusive's. All inclusive's are so watered down you might just as well order water.You can't get a tea or coffee outside of the meal times - which is a shame because you get woken up EVERY morning at 2.30 am -6.30 am when people are returning from clubbing at Laganas. FAMILIES BEWARE children are not going to get much sleep and will have to hear foul language from the drunks as they get in. FOOD: after 2 days you'll be spending money at the local tavernas unless you like "meat" that is bone,skin and fat.The staff are sullen at best downright rude at worst. We had asked for a quiet room ( silly us!) the room we got was a noisy dirty sweatbox. We asked to be moved and we asked for our passports back - The woman on reception said we could move NOW but would prefer us to leave the hotel - she just kept saying - "just leave". We aren't trouble makers we are two forty something professionals, both of us in customer facing jobs. I would get the sack if I treated my customers that badly! We were assured that there were no noisy people in the block we moved to - she lied!
If you don't mind sleep deprivation, club mix music at thunderous levels all day and night,watered down drinks, bad food and dirty rooms then this is for you. If you want a decent holiday go self catering and eat out, believe me its cheaper. We spent £900.00 on the "all inclusive" for a week- the idea being that we wouldn't need to spend anything else while there. Hah!! we must have spend a good £500.00 more just to get peace and quiet in the day and eat decent food. DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL ITS TRULY TRULY AWFUL.

Room Tip: NO room is a good room
poole
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Thought i would write a comprehensive guide to turtle beach hotel and surrounding area so you know you are booking correctly. I have read so many bad reviews by people who obviously didnt check before booking their hols.

Pre booking:
A taxi to the resort costs around 15 euros (about £12) from the airport each way so if your cheeky travel agent tries charging you £100 for transfers (like ours!) tell them that you will arrange your own when you get there.
Pre flight:
Air conditioning is 7 euros per night so I advise taking a travel fan (you can get them online for about £20) this will save you a fortune and shouldnt take up much room in your bag, plus you can use it again on a future holiday.
Take some paracetamol and pepto bismal (antacids) with you, the supermarkets dont sell drugs of any kind and the nearest pharmacy is 2k away, you wont want to walk that in the sun if your feeling off. (Note that asprin is a prescribed drug in Zante so you shouldnt take that with you).
There are no cash points in Agios Soltice so make sure you take enough euros till you can get into town.
Turtle beach hotel:
The resort is mediocre. It has signs of wear and tear, scuffed paint work, damaged furniture, smells a bit; but this is because it gets abused regularly by the (mainly British) guests. I get the feeling they think "well if we fix it, it will only get ruined again", and who could blame them? It seems us Brits let go a bit too much when we come to this beautiful island. On speaking to the locals it seems we all get a bit too drunk and like to smash things up (and each other). I felt compelled to apologise on behalf of my fellow countrymen to almost every Greek I spoke to. They love having us to visit, they just wish we were a bit more conciderate (and i expect give a big sigh of relief when the season ends!).
The views from our room were spectacular. Literally a stones throw from the beach, which is very narrow but has very little tide and the water is so warm and clear. You MUST either take or buy when your there, a snorkle set. The pool is of reasonable size but quite cold and frequented by people who like to splash so if you want to read while sunbathing I advise going to the beach. It seems the norm to leave your towel on a deckchair and you get it all week, a bit unfair and my girlfiend had to stop me from chucking all the towels in the pool in the middle of the night!
The bar is well stocked and the staff are really friendly (although a touch unhygienic, using fingers for ice and lemon, wearing no tops, smoking whilst they serve, but this seems the norm in Greece in my experience). They do play music at a loud volume from quite early in the morning till very late at night and the guests like to get drunk and scream a lot so be warned fuddy duddies, this is not the resort for you (although you can ask for a room on the other side of the hotel which apparently is a lot quieter)!!
The receptionist is a little icy at times and on arrival did tell us not to drink too much but this is only because her life is made a hell by some of the guests (read above). ((and try not to make her angry, you wont like her when shes angry lol) shes actally really nice when you get to know her)). She will take one of your passports as some kind of deposit and will return it at the end of your stay. Safes can be hired for 10 euros-we didnt bother. Be warned, she is rarely actually at reception, go to the bar if you have any enquiries. Check out is at 12 am but you can keep your bags at reception if your flight is later.
All inclusive:
Drinks are available from 10 am to 10 pm, after that you have to pay. On offer are fruit juices, water, lemonade, coke, peach snapps, vodka, 1/2 pints beer, red and white wine and of course ouzo, which I thought was quite a good selection.
The restaurant is a 2 min walk down the road and is again mediocre. Serves a mixture of Greek, English and Italian buffet food. Breakfast is traditional English and continental. My girlfriend came down with something and had to stay in bed for a whole day and after speaking to other guests, they had a similar experiences. Now I cant be for sure that it was food poisoning as it could well be a bug but it put us off going there again. Wi-fi is available for free in this restaurant (not the hotel!).
Agios soltice has lots of restaurants and supermarkets which sell everything you could need (with the exception of medicine). There are a few bars. I recomend the ok corrall. A guy called Nicolai owns it and is really friendly, helpfull and great fun, they often have an acoustic guitar/singer there called lucky who, again, is good fun.
Outside the resort:
The local town Laganas is about 2k away and takes 20 mins if you take the beach route. There are parts of this route where you will have to wade through shallow water. The road way takes about 40 mins (be very carefull of local traffic as the roads are very narrow and a lad at our hotel managed to get himself run over, not sure who was to blame). Alternatively a taxi will cost you 8 euros.
The beach of laganas is littered with hotels and really pleasent restaurants, they have nets for beach volleyball and plenty of deckchairs and umberellas. This beach is far wider than that is Agios Soltice.
Laganas strip is a mile long wide road and is the place to go for souviners and entertainment during the day (dont forget to use the cash machines here and get any medicine you may need), and drunkeness and debauchary in the evening. During peak season this is the place where all the kids (most of whom wouldnt get served in England) get smashed, cause riots, throw up and get lucky! I'm 32 so no old boy but even I was shocked at what I saw! (again...poor Greek residents) Great if your a youngster looking for parties. Loads of trendy clubs and bars. If your looking to get smashed, go to chevies, they pour a pint of mixed alcohol into a funnel and you have to down it it one, if you do you get a free shot (like more alcohol is what you need after that! lol) and all for just 5 euros. This is maybe why everyone is soooo drunk. They have a party on a small island nearby (also great place to go snorkling in the mornings to see the rare sea turtles) on sundays and you have to wear white, good laugh, and on several evenings they do a massive pub crawl called total carnage, which seems like a rip off to me but you may enjoy it. It seems sex sells as all the girls working in the bars/clubs wear their hot pants up the crack of their bottom and top half well on display, no wonder the locals think all our girls are easy! Nobody really goes out untill 11pm/12am so if you want just a few quite drinks go early.
Day trips:
Olympia: One for the archaeology lovers and sport lovers alike. Take plenty of water, people are known to faint regularly! After reading reviews I was worried that booking this trip through a local events organiser, I would not have enough time to see everything I wanted to (Olympia was the whole reason for this holiday and you only get about 3 hours at the sight) but unless you want to hire a car and do the jouney yourself, you have no other option. It costs 45 euros plus 9 euros for entry to the museum and archaeological site. You leave at either 8 or 9 am and after coach/ferry/coach journey arrive in Olympia 3 hours later. A quick 45 mins round the museum and hour round the actual site with a guide and then your left on your own for about an hour. This is just about enough time to do everything and is worth the money (in my eyes). The site is amazing, and a once in a lifetime opertunity to be at the birthplace of the Olympics. Be warned, posing for photos is forbidden as this is a religeous sanctuary, respect the gods!
Boat trip to Kerri caves: At 20 euros a real bargain! Jump on a boat and see the rare caretta carette sea turtles. This area is where they lay their eggs and in peak season you are bound to see these beautiful animals, then you get to go swimming around the caves (again great for snorkling as the water is so clear ( although the water does contain sulphur so try not to drink it or get it in your eyes!), after that enjoy a quick sunbathe on a isolated island cove-brilliant day out!
Water village: 22 euros and you get 7 hours at the park. There are some pretty crazy rides there and plenty of places to sun bathe. You can also trampoline, go kart and crazy golf is available at extra cost. We went at the end of the season so it wasnt too busy, and the ques were miniscule so we got to go on every ride about 20 times, great value for money ( if you go at the end of season!)
There are many other things to do, like horse riding lessons, trips to the other local towns etc but as we didnt do any of these I cant comment on them.
Cars, bikes, quads and boats are all available for hire at very reasonable prices.
The locals are very friendly and helpfull and all speak English, even if you speak Greek to them they will answer you in English (frustrating if your trying to polish up your Greek!)
All in all a great holiday, the only thing I will say is please try and respect the locals and the environment, we all want to have a good time, just dont make an idiot of yourself, were getting a really bad name for ourselves.
Ok hope this helped, have a great time and play safe!

Room Tip: If you want to be in bed by 10 (boring!) ask for the rooms at the back or stay at a differnt resort
3 Thank Demeter1212
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,175 reviews
Poseidon Beach Hotel
Poseidon Beach Hotel
#14 of 74 in Laganas

Been to Turtle Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!