“copy of my complaints letter”
Review of Turtle Beach Hotel

Turtle Beach Hotel
Reviewed August 29, 2012

On Monday the 27th August we arrived back from an all inclusive 2 week holiday in Zante at the Turtle beach resort.

Regrettably the experience that we had was not suggestive of a good holiday and I feel strongly that I have to complain. I am a working mother and had worked hard to save for the two week break and feel extremely disappointed with the accommodation and your description of it.

The description offered at the time by yourselves was that this resort was suitable for couples and families, and this certainly was not the case.

I had travelled with my daughter and her best friend and it was the plan that for the second week of the holiday that my partner was to come over. He had booked his stay with low cost holidays at the same resort.

On arrival we were designated a room on the ground floor looking out onto the swimming pool and sea front. My passport was taken and I presumed that it would be returned or I would pick it up the following day.

The room was basic, as we expected, and it did not concern me initially that the bathroom door did not close (needed re-hanging) or that there was no shower head on the shower and we had to told the water pipe over our heads to have a shower . The toilet lid was broken, and when I sat down on the toilet seat the broken and jagged bit hit my back nor did it initially concern me that there was no cutlery other than a spoon or that there were no cups other than 4 plastic disposable cups which accompanied the travel kettle in a cupboard. Nor that the refrigerator was dirty.

Our first day was pleasant enough but we grew aware of other people being dissatisfied with their stay. But this was not my concern and I do not wish for this letter to be about anyone else’s concerns but my own.

The music from the bar area grew louder as the day went on and at about 10.30pm increased some more. Having travelled overnight I was tired and went to my bed and my daughter her friend did the same. At one point I was not able to hear what my daughter was saying to me even whilst in the same apartment. The music continued to about 2.30am after which we could hear people jumping into the pool at intervals during the rest of the night. This behaviour was continuous throughout our family holiday. In addition to this people were coming back from the night out and took to having alcohol fuelled discussions on the sun lounges. Discussing if they should go skinny dipping in the pool. I witnessed people who had come in from the night clubs and fell asleep on the inflatable’s in the pool and the heard the cries of ‘let me in, let me in’ when a man was trying to gain entry into a group of girls room.

We were getting increasingly tired and when my daughter and her friend did not wake up in time for breakfast on two consecutive occasions, (breakfast is served till 10am) I asked the reception about moving to another room. The receptionist informed me that if I wanted to move I would have to do it now, this very moment, as they were expecting holiday makers to arrive. I asked to see the rooms and declined the offer of the room, as the kids were still asleep and the thought of packing everything back into cases ‘this very moment’ was not practical. Also I was mindful of other peoples complaints of people running through the hotel at night, shouting, screaming, laughing and even playing football. I essentially was caught between a rock and a hard place,

The resort was advertised ’suitable for couples and families’ yet the music from the bar was not general pop music but more hardcore /dance. The resort is occupied by a majority of young groups on girls and lads holidays, stag do’s etc it is not appropriate for families. Unless they are made aware of this before they book. The bar is advertised as being open till 6am in the morning with the offer of drinking unlimited peach snapps, vodka and sambuka for a payment of 10 euros. Certainly the bar note that the bar is on face book. I have looked at this site and if you care to have a look at it and the pictures you will note that there are pictures of people standing on the bar and not happy pictures of families.

Language around the pool was sometimes ok and at other times vile. Whilst my daughter and her friend was in the pool one man had said to his friend ’which one do you want?’ referring to my daughter and her friend. I also hear comments such as ’there is lots of pu**y here, lots of chicks etc’. On a few occasions I saw plastic cups in the pool and young men empty their drink into the pool.

The majority of sun beds were broken and the occasional plastic table also broken. The new beds that were there were blue fabric covering a metal frame. Considering the temperatures out there the metal frame caused more of a hazard than the broken plastic beds.

The all inclusive category was very limiting. Snacks were available but we had to pay for them. No low calorie drinks were available (unless you paid for them) and we also got our drinks served in plastic disposable cups.

On one instance when asking for drinks I was told that I could not have three drinks. I explained that there was three in our group.
Another occasion was when I asked for drinks and informed that I could not have any more as I had drinks on the table already. I explained that the plastic cups were indeed empty on our table.
This ‘policy’ seemed to be not adhered to consistently as I recall coming back from lunch and having to step over numerous half drunk drinks from a group of young women and to be met by a member of that group coming back from the bar with a tray full of drinks.

The pool was ok, nice and warm in the afternoon, lots of inflatable’s in there which others had left.. But again when thinking of families especially with young children there was no gradual gradient into the pool or shallow areas. The pool had a 2 inch layer of ’scum’ at the sides. On our last day this was being cleaned off by the caretaker using a clear liquid in a child safety bottle (Screw cap) I could not say for sure but on the bottle was the big red cross and the picture noting that it was harmful to aquatic life and that it was not to be tipped down the sink etc could it have been turpentine/white spirits?

Air conditioning is optional and payable locally at 49 euros. However some rooms like mine had two units in which for the two weeks would have come to 196 euros. I have spoke to people who had complained that their air conditioning did not work and had been moved straight away and then spoke to someone else who had moved into that same room by the resort already knowing that the air conditioning did not work.

There was an instance in which a lady had come on holiday with her daughter and she had been accused of owing the Turtle beach Resort money for air conditioning. I heard the manager say that she would not get her passport back till she had paid this. This saga carried on for several days with a threat that men would come to her room to get the money off her. Two male holiday makers offered to change rooms with her as she was rightfully upset. This scenario ended in the manager pushing the lady to the ground in the reception area. She must have been late 60’s or early 70’s years of age. This commotion was witnessed by many. My daughter and her friend was upset and shaken by the experience, as I was. There was shouting, screaming and crying. The police was called. Looking round the pool area later there were only anxious looking faces.

Another instance we witnessed was when the manager came out to the bar area and was shouting at a holidaymaker who had complained about the all inclusive restrictions at the bar. The manager was very vocal and demonstrative and ‘charged off’ saying that if he [the holidaymaker] was ‘not happy he could have a refund and sleep on the beach’.

These scenarios was upsetting to hear about and made me anxious about complaining to the resort or the number I was given to ring by a rep at the airport.

I had still not got my passport back and this was declined when I asked for it back. The receptionist stated that the manager held on to them till departure from the hotel. I stated that there was no legal responsibility for them to hold onto my passport. (I have videoed this on my mobile phone) In my experience he held onto it to try and extradite more money from people as they leave ie pay me or you will not get your passport back.

My partner came for the second week and was placed in another hotel as they had been overbooked. He had been given his passport back within 24 hours. Turtle Beach Resort had tried to get another 20 euros off him as he was leaving but as they did not have his passport he just walked away. My partner did not owe them anything.

On two night we helped out people who were ‘stuck’ as the hotel had insisted that people check out at 12noon. These people had then to sit with their bags for upto 17 hours before their taxi came to pick them up in the early hours of the morning. There were children laid out on sun lounges at night‘, having had their all inclusive bands taken off them. They were no room to put their belongings, no room to hire so that they could shower..it was a farce.

There were many events I witnessed and many people I spoke to, many people we saw cry and upset. Indeed on the last night we had returned from a trip to Zante and as we walked throught the bar area a young woman was upset and saying that she was not going to stay here, her family was trying to calm her down and I was so used to these complaints, so de sensitized by it all and I just though that it goes on and on. There was a lot of people there who were not happy, who then returned home and was replaced by new arrivals who then went onto expressing their concerns. The complaints were never ending such as a rat on top of air conditioning, broken air conditioning units, diarrhoea and sickness, sore throats, aching joints and the list goes on and on. I am currently off work on sick leave having had the sore throat, aching limbs, phlegm on my chest and general weakness.

I hope that this email expresses the depth of my anger and you will consider a full refund for this holiday. As I said earlier in the letter I work very hard for things that I have and experiences in my life. This holiday has been the worst that I have ever experienced. Not Zante but Turtle beach resort. I would strongly suggest that you alter the description not to include families and couples as this itself led me to believe that it was suitable for such, and it blatantly should not.

Going on holiday and living under the veiled threat of extortion, witnessing the aftermath of physical assault from the manager of the resort against an older lady, listening to the ongoing and enduring complaints, concerns and anxieties, seeing countless people crying to name but a few is not my idea of a relaxing and enjoyable holiday.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
12  Thank jamiesoneve

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Date of holiday 19th August - 26th August (flew from Newcastle) curtisy of Thomson

Booked The flights (only took hand luggage), airport parking, transfers, insurance and accomodation (all inclusive) with low cost holidays. Total cost of holiday was £856.00

General oppion of the booking overall: Poor! The AirParks service was minimal. The flight was ok (good times), We were missed off the transfer list and the contact line for organising pick up was poorly communicated. Accomodation.... Will get to that shortly!

General information of the Turtle beach hotel
Booking in and checking out: The receptionist only works 11am till 9pm so if you have a late/early flight you will be left hanging around till they arrive. The Receptionist is called Christina and she will ask for one of your passports and will try to keep it until you check out.

All inclusive and Self catering services:

All inclusive consists of 1 pool bar located at the front of the hotel and is run by Albanian staff (they are nice... frosty but nice) This bar will serve local beer, red/white wine, vodka, peach snaps and oozo and soft drink (all other drinks are to be bought). AI drinks are served in 1/2 pint plastic cups. AI drinks are available 10am til 10pm

Eating and snacks:

Snacks consist of crisps, icecreams and toasties which are for sale at the pool bar.

The all inclusive restaurant is a turkish open air restaurant that is located past the Turtle beach hotel to the right. It is here that you have to take your hotel room key and report that you are all inclusive and they will give you a wrist band. The meal times are

Continental breakfast 8-10am: consisting of fruit, cereal, patries, breads, cheeses and meats and then various cooked eggs and bacon and mini hotdog sausages and refreshments.

Lunch 12 - 2pm Tea 6 - 8pm: Consisting of bread, salad, pasta, rice, potatos and meats and vegetables, desserts are icecream and fruit, sometimes there are cakes. Refreshments are available.

If you are a picky eater you will struggle with a lot of the fod available and if you are ok with it it is very repetitive

Self catering: Small supermarkets are situated at either side of the hotel, however your appartments don't offer many cooking ammentities

Pool area: small chlorine treated fresh water pool (on our last day a man wash cleaning the green algy off the sides) a few broken floor tiles too. There are lots of broken sunloungers and the ones that are ok get snatched up very early. If you are not keen, the beach is a stones throw away and the sunloungers are 3euros each.

Pests: lots of mosquitos, wasps flies, gecko's, dogs, and someone had a rat in their room

Rooms: When we checked in Christina offered us a room in the NiMar which was at the back of the complex and was nicer that the rooms in the front building, it had Tv and the cleaner visited everyday. Aircom is 7euros a day. At first she said the NiMar was an extra 7euros but never asked for the money! We were also lucky as we had our passports returned.

Other guests consisted of 2 lads holidays, 2 girl holidays, families and young/old couples and the atmosphere amongst all was positive, looking out for each other and passing round magazines, insect remedies etc.

Area's of concern: Lot's of lucky men and greek gypsies. Look after your possessions both out and about and also in your room. Many guest had horrific times and are thinking about going to watchdog about it. But that is for them to say..... like I said we were lucky

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Hannahbanana82
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We arrived at the hotel on 29 Jul 2012 at 5.30 am and had to wait for the receptionist to arrive. We are a family of five 2 Adults and 3 children aged 14, 12 and 7. The place was quiet at this time however we did notice that there was empty bottles and pizza cartons lying about. A group of loud guys came in very drunk and were told to be quiet after a night in laganas. They eventually quietened down and went to bed. When the receptionist arrived to check us into our rooms she advised us that the hotel was very noisy with young ones and that we would be better transferring to a nearby hotel more suitable for families. We decided to stay one night to see what it was like. We were shown to several rooms and decided on one with a sea view above the bar area as it was the nicest out of all of them even although there was only four beds..
All seemed well at first and we went to the pool in the morning. There was not many people there until around 10.00 am when the bar opened. The young ones still drunk from the night before started drinking then and continued to drink all day and into the early hours of the morning. They became so drunk and loud that they did not care about anyone else. They were loud jumping in the pool with the clothes they had on from the night before. We saw one of the urinating in the pool, exposing themselves and the stripping off to their underwear around the pool. My children were frightened and did not want to use the pool after this. The pool was filthy and it was a murky green colour with a ring of scum aroung it. Three of my family became ill with sickness and diarrehea probably due to the pool. Many other people also became ill.
The music was blaring from 10.00 in the morning until 1.00am non stop. One of the young guys was so drunk he urinated himself and did not even realise. I took my son to the toilet in reception and it was covered in vomit. It was absolutely disgusting!.
I could not have stayed any longer and we took Chrisina's advice and moved to the Zante Sun as did a few other families luck enough to be moved there. It was fantastic, quiet and very clean with very friendly staff.
At the turtle beach the bar staff and only intrested in serving the young ones and generally ignore the other customers. The rooms are very basic and not very clean. Our toilet door did not close over and the main door into the apartment's hinge was loose and could have easily been broken into. When the young ones arrived back from the strip in Laganas they were fighting with each other and security had to threaten to call the police before they would be quiet.

The food in the restaraunt is not bad.The only problem was the salad bar that was covered in flies. I actually thought they were olives at first. Some of the food was not very warm!

I am aware that accomadation in Greece is basic and i have never complained before about past holidays. This hotel is an nightmare unless you are young and don't care where you stay. We were lucky to be moved hotel however i would not risk going there and expect to be moved as the Zante sun is full now and was quiet as it had only be re opened 3 months ago by new owners.

On a positive, the receptionist Christina was very helpful and did her best to move us straight away. The resort of Agios Sostis is beautiful and has lovely restaraunts to eat in at fairly reasonable prices. There are plenty of trips to go on and you can hire out a boat to explore this beautiful area.

Please think very carefully about booking this hotel.

Room Tip: Well away from the bar area.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank ally k
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My partner and I stayed here on an all inclusive basis and very quickly discovered that all inclusive actually translated literally to Non- inclusive! On arrival we waited in what can only be likened to a deserted bus depot, which was apparently the reception. After half an hour a guy arrived looking puzzled at our being there complete with suitcases. We explained that we were booked in for a week and after checking the receptionists diary( she left at 4pm and wasn't in till the next day) he scrambled about looking for an available room. Drinks served at the outside bar till 10pm, then you had to pay. At breakfast the next morning the whole nIghtmare began to unfold. Whilst the hotel adjoined its very own and nicely presented taverns, we were pointed in the direction of the back room which was the all inclusive canteen. All meals consisted of a choice of 1 ball of grissel and a tray of cold pasta, all served from a Bain Marie that had been switched off to save power. Mealtime drinks were warm value cola from the 2l bottles left on the side. We discovered that the whole point was that it was so bad you would spend your money at their well stocked taverna instead! Disgusting! If you wanted lunch you had to ask for it and all you could have was chips, available between 2.30 and 3.00pm. One day breakfast didn't even happen as the cook/cleaner/ handyman didn't even turn up. The owners just sat outside smoking and laughing at all us all inclusive peasants sat around in disbelief! I could go on and on but I'm sure you've seen the other reviews. Simple answer is just expect to pay twice your holiday cost just in order to eat out every night as you won't eat at the hotel more than once! You've been warned!!

• Stayed: September 2011
8  Thank Nashville2398
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This is not a hotel for families.
It has changed its name from Arkadianos to Turtle Beach, but the change appears to be name only, there has been no refurbishment.
The room we had was actually quite nice, the usual Greek plumbing, and general lack of repairs, but nothing we could not handle.
The location of the hotel is fantastic, right next the sea, which was beautiful, and set in a lovely resort with a great choice of restaurants and fantastic scenery.
Most of the other guests were young, generally late teens, early 20s, and as a result the swimming pool was dominated by lads playing pool games-it is a small pool, and so my kids were actually scared to swim in it. The pool bar is good, but again dominated by young lads having a rowdy time.
Most guests are non British.
The restaurant is actually a minute walk away, in the Syrtaki restaurant, which is lovely, typically Greek. The food was actually quite good, but I was concerned about numerous flies. We did all get bad stomachs.
The reception was not staffed overnight, and then only sporadically. Staff were not always helpful, or English speaking. The best service we had was actually the maid.
Numerous people were caught out when their passports were held in a locked office.
We actually transferred to another hotel to get out.
If you want to relax with your family, do not go here, but if you are young and will put up with a few problems, it may be the place for you!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Andy F
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Arrived on the 27th july to a reception area full of sun loungers and rubbish all on the floor..Me and my 6 friends wasnt expecting much but being clean isnt hard! We where all inclusive with getting there early hours of day we took advantage of the food. we had breakfast was ok, dinner was horrid ended up havin bread and butter!
The second day we was there i had diarrhea since i woke up till the following day and my mate had very bad sickness and diarrhea the same day to so we missed a day.
The rooms had no standard to it, showers had no shower head holder, smelt, infeasted with ants and flies.. Iv never been bit so much in my life.. you would have a shower and come out fealing more dirtier. All inclusive was a joke found myself at the bar all the time, plastic cup for a waterd down drink. snacks?? apparenlty there not included.. description on the website and brochure snacks and bar closes at 11:30 which turned out it closed at 10
The hotel is overun with serbians, no respect, no manners and they do what they like. Get away with anything. there where familys there and they was blasting music out and screaming at 2am in the morn. We had alot of warning to keep away from serbians, they set 17 coaches on fire, killed 4 english, blinded 1 lad and mugging people. Just for fun apparently laganas is over run by them and the greek taxi driver said they are above the law and noone will touch them, it will only get worse and zante will lose tourist.
The pool was dirty, jumped in ended up with glass in my foot, i only saw the pool getting cleaned once, poolside you might aswell work there no cleaners so you end up getting a sunbed and cleaning the mess someone left befor you
We payed for 7 nights and we ended up having 6, we flew home on the 3rd of july. we had to check out on the 2nd at 12am baring in mind our flight was till 6am on the 3rd so we had to sit in the reception all day and keep our luggage there, she took our all inclusive bands off us we was very cionfussed we still had one day left we was and still not happy to make it worse the toilets and shower area in the waiting room are discusting not cleaned once all day!!!!
The last day i started with a cough bring some flem up and sore throat and still have this, im not surprised its really dirty place NEVER AGAIN

Room Tip: Different hotel.. got quads to kalamaki hotels look really nice there .....stay away from this place
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Shaun B
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Got back home yesterday, went for a week with 11 friends 9-16th July 2012.
First impressions of the Hotel was poor, with a dirty lobby and worn furniture of what there was, we was greeted by a rude receptionist who told us
not to expect much from the rooms and to bare in mind they were only to sleep in.. great.

On route to our rooms we noticed a number of birds nests on the ceilings, the smell of damp and smoke. The rooms were quite big and the lay out was good, they were extremley basic but that was expected. We bleeched the room ourselves and layed towels at the bottom of the wardrobes before laying clothes in there, as well as the bathroom floor as the cold, weak shower flooded everyday.

Given we paid for an 'All Inclusive' holiday, whether it was can be debated. The drinks were free until 10pm and we had to pay for any snacks at the bar such as crisps, toasties and branded drinks.. although this was cheaper in the local supermarket. We tended to miss breakfast and lunch and eat snacks from the supermarket as it was more edible. Dinner was very limited, if you like oily and salty chips, pasta and rice you are in for a treat.. if you don't like meat or veg you're in luck. After a few of our group being ill we decided to eat out for the remaining nights in the resturant next door called 'Boomerang' which was lovely!

If you have booked a return flight home after 10 am then this is the hotel.. the reception keep one passport per room in exchange for your room key on check out.. given the fact we had to leave the hotel sharp at 930am this was a problem.. noone was in the hotel to help us and when we did ask a member of staff at the bar it turned into a row and a 20 euro bribe to open the door. This was not a nice experience when leaving the hotel and did put a downer on the mood. The evening bar staff was very rude his name was Moses i beleive liked a row when asking for a taxi number or any advice on the hotel and was answered ' i cannot help you its not my problem' although having only him and a couple of maids work in the evening left guests puzzled to where the recpetionist went off to??!?

I can say the good thing about this hotel was that the beach was across the road, the beach was very nice, clean sea and lovely veiws. We spent every day on the beach as the hotel was busy around the pool and there wasnt enough sunbeds for everybody.

Room Tip: the hotel is loud which ever room you ask for
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends