“A fine stay - as always”

Hotel Rethymnon Mare
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Skaleta
Kiruna
“A fine stay - as always”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

This was the third all-inclusive stay at the hotel. We usually go there every second year. Every time we return, we meet the much of the same staff, whom are friendly, service minded, and seems to like working at the hotel. This time they had opened up the lower pool area and the adjacent pool bar for us, non "Royal" guests. Also new was the Chinese serving in the lower restaurant; good if you get bored with the buffe style at the main restaurant. The food is overall tasty though perhaps not as much variety you would have wanted in a perfect world. Drinks are also fine. We got a huge room in the "Royal" wing and it was tidy and comfortable. All in all a good stay again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HAND1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2010

We have just returned from a weeks 'all-inclusive' stay at the Rethymnon Mare Hotel. This was our first trip to this part of the world and first experience of staying anywhere on an 'all-inclusive' basis, which we all enjoyed for our own individual reasons.It meant, for instance, that my teenage son who is almost permanently 'on the scrounge' for food, was in paradise! We found the service throughout the hotel to be excellent and very professional, even down to being waved-off at our departure at 4am yesterday morning. Our accommodation was more than satisfactory, as were the on-site facilities. No-one missed the x-box at home because the beach was so handy for swimming, which could be more exciting some days than others due to the size of the waves! All the swimmers of the family loved the cool blue sea and the paddler enjoyed just that- paddling. The location is fine. We walked wherever we could as its the best way to explore an area and meet people otherwise we caught a local bus. It would be hard to say what we liked best or least about our stay because the whole experience was new to us. We are a family of four and each of us would like to return to Crete, and to this hotel, to explore further.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank custardtart2
Tallinn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

I had my incredible holiday on the last week of June and stayed in the hotel Rethymno Mare on Crete))) I've been to many countries and stayed in very many hotels but I can say that this one was really special and amazing in every way!!!
I had a room with fantastic sea-view and every morning when I woke up I could look at the warm and nice BLUUUUEEE sea where I swam some hours later))))))))))
I liked the food at the restaurant very much, and the most pleasant surprise was that there is a Chinese restaurant in the hotel. And I like the Chinese food very much - there it was also VERY goood)))
Meeting the stuff I found them to be very nice and friendly people who really know how to do their job))))
There are also two large swimming pools in the hotel and two pools for kind, so it is a good place where you can go with the whole family!! When I have my own children I will for certain bring them here)))))))))))))))
So I can say what RETHYMNO MARE hotel is really VERY good place to stay in on CRETE)))))))

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2010

I am just back from fabulous holidays, its the second time that i visit this hotel and i could say it was much better than the first time.
Big swimming pools, sea is quite and only 100-150m away.
Service was great, variety of food (dont miss the Chinese restaurant as it is included on the package), management did everything to have a great holidays. My kid really loved the kids animation with the mini disco & mini club....

For sure we will be back. Thank you all....

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
6 Thank sunshine189852
Blackcountry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2009

This is a very good hotel as long as you check and understand the layout. It is bulit into a hillside so there are stairs, but there are also lifts. We were lucky reading some of the other reports on check in the consierge took us to the room and showed us the dining room and the lifts. There are two hotels in on the site but they are run as one although one is supposed to be 5* and the other 4* the facilities are the same for all. With kids use the upper pool where there is the animation guy and for a quiet time use the lower pool. Same with the bars use the upper bar for noise animation guy again or the lower bar by reception for the quiet time. Note with the bars if you are all inclusive they close for free drinks at 11pm and become very slow at serving from 10.30. each pool has its own bar but on the lower one the snacks are restricted. There is another restaurant on site by the lower bar which is a chinese. You have to book this at reception if all incl this is still free. PLEASE do not bother it is one of the worst meals I have had and the srvice was awful just one waiter for all. There is an underpass to the beach do not cross the road it is too dangerous the beach is clean and sandy. If you go into the town use the bus GET your tickets from the on site shop the bus drivers get very upset if you try to give them money. Good market in Rethymnon on the thusday you can get off the bus opposite it. When comiong back on the bus always go to the bus station to ensure you can get on. Nice place for a relaxing holiday. there are no bars outside the hotel that are very near or anything else for that matter. It is 12k to the town bus 3euros PP return

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MikeGBlackcountry
Wolverhampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2009

We had a great holidaythis August for 10 days
Room was good with the exception of the jacusi bath which leaked so after each use had to mop floor with towels
The room was very good and I would guess had been recently updated
Staff were very good and friendly
Food was good with fresh cooked food every morning and most nights as well as the usual buffet but like all hotels after 10 days became a bit samey
Kids club for the young was very good pool area was excelent my personal favorite was watching the young lady who lead the water aerobics every morning!
There was a regular bus service into town but the only bad point was that there was nowewre to walk of an evening.Beach was close and sea was great.
Entertainment on night was run by the animation team so ok but not great
Good mix of nationalities when we were there which I like
Loads of room around the pool plenty of sunbeds
To sum up great place for a family holiday but not great on a night still recomended

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank ChalkieWolverhampton
Belgrade, Serbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2009

This was perhaps one of the worst hotels I've been to, when I compare the price and what we got for it. Although it officially offers all-inclusive, have in mind that it is Greek, and not (for instance) a Turkish all-inclusive. This means that the food is pretty much the same and not so varied; that the staff can be quite arrogant; that you have to walk to the beach across a road; that the area actually looks like a desert; that the evening programs weren't always held in the amphitheatre, but on a flat surface near the bar... All in all, like I said, not worth the money.

In case that someone was staying in the hotel in July 2008, please send me a message, or search "Rethymno Mare July 2008" on Facebook or YouTube.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank MladenTrp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skaleta
Rethymno Mare Royal Hotel
#1 of 167 in Rethymnon
Peninsula Resort & Spa
Peninsula Resort & Spa
#6 of 29 in Agia Pelagia

Been to Hotel Rethymnon Mare? Share your experiences!