Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Not what it used to be

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
francien2015
Rotterdam, The Netherlands

All reviews theme park all ages water rides few years waiting times young kids a lot of fun food drinks nice amusement park car park whole family clean park be aware many times worth the price sausage waiting in line
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Attractions available for all age groups. Overall our visit was okay. It was quite busy and queue’s were long. Available food could do use a little upgrade to more modern/healthier food and more variety. Also we were dissappointed as we queued up for an hour for the Revolution attraction. We thought this would be a Virtual Reality ride. We were wrong, that was the nearby attraction Mount Mara. Although they board the exact same train, they are different attractions… information there could be better, considering we waited for over an hour for just a disappointment.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We visitied the Bobbejaanland for the second time it hasn't really changed since the first which it should have. Still a nice day though

Reviewed October 2, 2018

Went as 2 adults with 2 kids under the age of 4. Even with reduced ticket prices (as we paid online and also used a discount voucher), we ended up paying altogether just over €55 and I don't think that the experience overall is worthy of that level of cost.

If you go to any amusement park as a parent or carer with young kids, just be aware that you are effectively paying to be an all-day babysitter doing little kiddy rides with not much (if any) opportunity to do more thrilling rides or have time to do what you want - the experience ends up being all about the kids (and it is nice to see them enjoying themselves) so just be aware there's not much in it for you!

The good:
- The kids had (mostly) a good time. There are less rides suitable for kids under 120cm tall but there is enough keep them busy (if they're willing to go on some rides more than once).
- I found the amusement park looked clean and attractive enough.
- Bringing your own food/drinks saves you time and money.
- There are baby changing tables in the toilet buildings (that is separate from the ladies toilets so it's accessible for men) but unfortunately the signage on the outside of the toilet building is not clear so some patrons may not be aware that baby changing tables exist.

The bad:
- Found the Mount Mara 3D ride not particularly thrilling. The queue took easily an hour (and sometimes can take more). A ride better be sensational to justify that kind of wait time. Unfortunately this is not it. There are no deep sharp drops during the roller coaster ride and you don't go upside down so the ride is not particularly scary/thrilling. The graphics are somewhat wonky and the quality looks like a video game from the 1990s/early 2000s with a 3D twist. As I hadn't experienced a 3D ride before, it was interesting to have that experience, but the wait time is (in my personal opinion) not worth it.
- Was waiting in line for the Revolution ride. Then after waiting at least 30min, found out via people leaving the front of the queue that there was a technical issue and the wait time would extend by at least 30min. I left the already long queue at that point. There was no staff who came out to inform those waiting about the delay.
- The Forbidden Caves was closed/not operating with no sign out the front to explain why it was closed that day.
- Insufficient signage regarding location/direction of rides and maps around the park - which wouldn't be so much of an issue except that Bobbejaanland does not provide free paper maps, which results in patrons relying on signage. If you want a paper map you would need to line up at a counter at the entrance and pay for one! An amusement park which chooses not to provide free maps needs to provide more map signage around the park.
- I barely saw any staff around the park with the exception of staff manning the rides. So if someone is lost (such as a child) or you want to ask a question......well......good luck! The only customer service kiosk that I saw is at the entrance of the park.
- On a number of rides, the staff did not check if the safety harness/bar in front was secured properly. I always personally checked that my own harness was secure but in a scenario with a child riding on their own, they may not check their harness/safety bar. Each 'car'/seat on a ride should be checked by staff before the ride proceeds.
- Not all the rides in KinderLand were operating at the same time. There was only one staff on duty and she operated one ride at a time.

With very young children and the entrance cost (+ cost of parking), there were not enough positives to make this experience worthwhile repeating.

For those with young kids (particularly those under 7 years old) looking for something fun, not expensive to do (including on a rainy day) and less stress/crowds (than an amusement park), I can recommend Mega Speelstad in Lille (Antwerp area). It is not an amusement park but more of a very large indoor and outdoor play center. The cost is much more affordable - €11 for kids and it's free for those aged 15 years or over and those under 85cm tall so adults are not paying to babysit and the majority of the rides/activities are suited for young kids. I found the food to be good and very reasonably priced with no super long queues like in amusement parks.

Reviewed September 29, 2018 via mobile

We have visited this theme park numerous times but it is amazing how it keeps deteriorating year after year.

This year was terrible as far as cleanliness is concerned. In almost each attraction the dust bins along the queue lines were not emptied and trash was piled up around each dust bin, next to it in the vegetation and even in the queue paths. It was really filthy.

As far as friendliness of staff in concerned, no doubt some were friendly and behaved but at no less than 4 attractions we encountered very unfriendly staff. That is 4 in excess !

The Dreamcatcher is supposed to be a new VR attraction but it is amazing how little attention is spent to adjusting the VR goggles. They were completely out of focus resulting in a terrible experience. Bobbejaanland clearly needs training in experienced high-tech theme parks, or it should shy away of using this technology.

Finally there was not a single show in the park.

I do not want me or my children to go through such an experience any more.

Reviewed September 1, 2018

Stay away from this wasp invested nightmare. It is really rubbish and a rip off to boot! Not suitable for families! Save your money and go to any other park as they are better than this!

No leadership or organisstion! No paper maps of the park! Park app is rubbish! No que times! Open bins with loads of wasps in confined que lines! Aweful service! Lack of staff motivation! Lack of staff training! Most rides closed for long periods as a business choice and not technical faults! Aweful food! Don't deliver on their promises!

We arrived to have two different parking attendents telling us to go in two different directions. I follwed one and got confronted angrily by the other.

We attended with a 3 year old and a 1 year old. Got into the park just after opening and it was very busy. Ok busy hapoens but they have a staggered opening of rides (only a couple of rides open first thing) all the way up to 13:00, three hours after opening! Wondered round for ages trying to find anything that was open that our child could go on! Also got told that they did a parent swap (a parent looking after a baby to be allowed up the exit ramp after the other parent has been on the ride). As only a couple of rides were open my wife got into a que with my oldest. Over an hour later (no que times are put up anywhere) my wife came back and had been told no to a parent swap. By now it was lunch time.

We went to the restaurant and queued for over 30 minutes with 15 people or so in the queue ahead of me. Staff standing round doing nothing as one person served all the food and other taking the money. As the website did not have English, I believed I had bought a ticket to be allowed a meal of a set menu. Turned out this was not the case and I had to have a set item. I was allergic to this so asked politely if I could change to something that was the same price. Got told bluntly no! Asked if I could get a refund so I could buy something else. Again bluntly told No!

Went to guest services, were I was malested by wasps and after another 30 minutes, they asked the catering manager whom said it was fine and not a problem. Then had to queue again for another 30 minutes with only a few people in front. The food was stale ftom being left out under thd hot plates for so long. Really not good!

Tried going back out into the park, where singage is almost none existent. Could not find a baby change iin the kiddieland area so ended up changing my 1 year old on the floor. Managed to get my 1 year old on a bumby slide in the afternoon. With no parent swap on the rides that is all we could manage before the open bins and wasps drove us away. Complained at customer services and told "You brought it, so that is all there is to it". To sumarise €111.50 equates to 1 rollercoaster ride, 2 goes on the bumpy slide and a pathetic lunch.

Currently demanding compensation as I do not believe their declaration as a place for "Mum and Dad to have fun too" and "a family park" were met.

Speaking to a member of staff on the way out they said the park is in a bad state with no investment and the staff being treat poorly. They said the number of complaints were growing day by day.

In conclusion do not waste your money here!

1  Thank David B
Reviewed August 28, 2018 via mobile

Went here on a Saturday with a friend with the bus. Good bus connection from Antwerp. Don't have to wait too long either. We paid full price, was not aware of cheaper prices online or somewhere else. No free park map and the park is huge. There were queues for every ride. Even queues for the place to get food like fries. Not fast food at all! In the morning the queues weren't that long but in the afternoon it took ages. Was not able to see/try everything cause of the long queues. Would like to point out the VR rides can be a hit or miss. Sometimes the headset doesn't work and you don't realise until the ride has already started! And those queues took the longest. Enjoyed the water rides the most.

Reviewed August 28, 2018

Bobbejaanland is one of the best attraction parks in Belgium. Fair price for a full day of fun for all ages

Reviewed July 29, 2018 via mobile

Very long queues, up to 2 hours for the dream catcher; no information on waiting time, neither at the entrance of the attractions nor on the app; staff not helping; and attractions becoming old...

Reviewed July 23, 2018 via mobile

Even though it's not the best in anything (not the best theming (tho it has improved with a new theme for the Maurer spinning coaster (now Naga Bay) and a completely new facade for the dreamcatcher (suspended vekoma coaster)
Quite a few rides have disappeared in the last few years and not much of interest has been added. That said this is my home park and with it's rich history (seriously look up the guy who actually founded it and after wich the park is named) and the quite unique revolution that is as old as me it still holds a verry special place in my hart. And the biggest thrillrides in the park : the typhoon (a generic gerstlauer eurofighter with a beyond 90° drop) and the Sledgehammer (a huss giant Frisbee facing outward) are still verry much worth the visit. Also the layout of the park is great, 1 big circle around the lake so you'll not miss a thing or get lost. Last but not least :
change is on the horizon with some new coasters etc are announced for next year, so stay tuned :D

Ps: they've started doing shows again they're far from unique, the stunt show is similar to the ones preformed in Parque Warner & moviepark in the past.

1  Thank Dirk S
Reviewed July 16, 2018

Great day out....although having to pay €8 to park the car wasn't the best of starts.

After that it just got better, we arrived at 10.00 & left at 18.00. We all enjoyed the day, something for the whole family here, our 4 year old could go on the 70% of the rides...he loved the place.

Queues for the rides were not long at all (apart from the Dream Catcher, almost an hr, which was ridiculous, to much messing around with the 3D glasses). After that my only gripe was the length of time it took to get sausage & fries (place in the Wild West section), we were in the queue there for about 35 mins, the staff were just so slow, obviously not getting any bonuses, that little shack could make a fortune if it was well managed.

Apart from those two moans I'd highly recommend this place, it's really good & well worth the visit. Last thing, all the young people managing the rides were extremely polite & friendly....

...was also a bit perplexed about the overall theme, country & western I suppose, but it was a bit muddled.