“Amazing staff!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Batheaston
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Amazing staff!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

I agree with the last post, we have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Old Mill, and we did encounter some problems with our room - however, the recently appointed manager and the reception staff were, without fail, incredibly helpful and obliging and just made such a difference. The food was pretty good as well. Definitely give this hotel a chance, I think it is on the up!

Room Tip: Do NOT choose the annex ( which is due for demolition) !
5 Thank Anne C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

There are many poor reviews about this hotel, however we experienced a great stay. The room was perfect... Freshly painted and with a very comfortable bed and huge TV boasting many channels. We had asked for a cot for our little girl and this was all made up in the room ready. The food was good and the lady serving breakfast could not do enough for us. The location is lovely and in the sun the following day was even better... We had a lovely walk into Bath ( the manager gave us advice if the best route... It was perfect). The best bit though was the service. The manager actually cares and is aware of the poor state the hotel was in and is trying to put it right. When we arrived we were greeted by a lovely young lady who was on her first day there... Had she not have said we would never have known, she chatted away and made us feel very welcome. Every member of the hotel staff said hi, held a door open, or asked if we needed anything else. I have stayed in so many hotels over the years for work, some are good, some have been terrible, but none of them have a local feel. This hotel aesthetically may not be as great, however in time it will match the service. Give this little gem a chance... A great price too!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Rob D
Oldmillhotel, Duty Manager at Old Mill Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely review and kind words. We appreciate you taking the time to write this review. It is so disheartening when we read the bad reviews as my staff and myself are working so hard to improve things here at the Old Mill. We are so glad to hear that you had a good stay and look forward to seeing you again soon. With the kindest of regards, yours sincerely, Rui Esteves, Duty Manager
Exeter, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

We have just returned from a disappointing stay at this hotel,. Like many others we were ready for a short stay away and used our Avios (Airmiles) to pay for this break. The hotel looked good from the website and was based in a good location. First impression of the hotel on arrival was that it looked tired but as we understood it had recently undergone improvement we had hoped for better inside. There were two restaurants but no lounge to sit in. Our room was in the main building, of a reasonable size. The mattress was old, had no mattress cover on it and you could feel the springs digging into your back. When you turned over, you rolled into the middle. There were wall lights either sides of the bed covered by old lamp shades, one of which was falling off. When we removed it we could see burn marks on the inside. We checked the other and it was the same. This was brought to the hotel's attention on leaving, In the bathroom the cistern was coming away from the wall and was supported by a rolled up piece of cardboard to stop the toilet lid from falling down. The water was barely lukewarm when we went to shower (and yes we did use the taps correctly). On the plus side the bathroom and bedding were very clean and the staff helpful. Following a far from inspriing breakfast we decided not to stay for the original two night booking and left later that day,

5 Thank Pat021254
We are sorry to hear of your disappointing stay and do sincerely apologise. As a valued guest we take all constructive criticism on board and try our best to amend the situation. Thank you for bringing the burnt lamps to our attention, they have now been removed from the room and replaces with new lamp shades. We have also replaced the mattress with a brand new memory foam mattress. Thank you for your kind words about our staff, I am very proud of my hard working crew. With the kindest regards, yours sincerely, Rui Esteves, Duty Manager

Travelers are raving about these Batheaston hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

Had a wonderfull stay for I night,staff were very friendly,room rate was very competitive& included breakfast. Room overlooked the weir stunning views.
Ate in the italian style restuarant down stairs,good food and very varied and all with very friendly staff.
Breakfast room views were stunning all in all a great place to stay just outside Bath,& a short trip in by boat is possible.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank noshnosh87
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

Most people wait for months to get a break to get away . The time for me had come I just got to it and booked up this break with out doing my research with Trip-advisor . If only I had done I would not of made the bad choice . I did not take any photos but as you can see from others there is mould in the bedrooms bathrooms . The cleaning is poor . The manager is did not care saying they are no more rooms so you have to put up with it . When coming to Bath you think of an English World, not Egyptian and not one English member of staff to be seen . But I must say that Bath is a nice place to go to . The polish chef was chatty he made up for the managers mood . Breakfast was eatable but glad to leave this hotel to others .

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank 86simong
Thank you for bringing certain things to my attention. We are striving on a daily basis to improve and get better and better. You are right, it is a shame that you did not take pictures as over the past 2 months all the rooms have been repainted and refurbished and find your statements about the condition of the room very hard to believe. As for your statement “When coming to Bath you think of an English World, not Egyptian and not one English member of staff to be seen.” We have one Egyptian staff member and he is our night porter on duty from about 11pm to 6am most evenings and as big as he is he is a very kind hearted, soft gentle giant. We have British staff in every department and myself living in Bath also find the city to be beautiful and now call it my home. We will certainly take your constructive criticism on board. With kindest regards, yours sincerely.
Northants
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

Our room booked through hotelvouchershop was small but on first arrival looked nice enough as the furniture was good quality. However once we shut the door and found the previous occupants dirty pillowcase behind the door it went from bad to worse. I hung my clothes in the wardrobe which when I went to get them out later i noticed the black mould in the corners and my clothes had become smelly and damp. This was after discovering the black mould round the outside doors, the crumbling wall, the furry mould on the curtains, the mouldy bathroom ceiling, the dirty tea tray and teaspoons, no mattress cover, the filthy shower screen door, the unflushed toilet and luke warm water the whole weekend. We ate at the hotel on the first night as it had got late and the food was over priced for the smallest portions I have ever seen. I have complained and sent pictures but to no avail. I didnt even get an answer! I then contacted hotelvouchershop and as yet I have had no agreeable result to my complaints.

Room Tip: Dont book a room here
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Amanda S
Oldmillhotel, Duty Manager at Old Mill Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
We are very sorry to hear of your review. The Hotel has since the beginning of March 2014 (saw you stayed in February 2014) been under new Management. Since that time there have been extremely significant changes. The rooms have been refurbished and repainted. New mattresses, beds and a whole lot more and we’re still moving from strength to strength striving to do our best. Reviews like this are so disheartening and it is a shame that you had to put pictures up like that as none of that now exists!! All of us the Old Mill are working extremely hard to ensure a good and pleasant stay for all our guests here. With the kindest of regards, Yours sincerely
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

I took my partner there for a surprise treat for her birthday, I was so embarrassed at the condition of this obviously worn out establishment. It looks fantastic on the web, with beautiful looking surroundings. As soon as I pulled up into the car park and saw the condition of the rusty Water Mill wheel I knew this wasn't going to be a good experience. The carpets on the way up to reception were filthy and covered in hairs and all manner of matter! The staff were friendly and allowed us to check in early as our room was ready despite there being a wedding party the night before (must've been a shocker for them). There were empty glasses, full glasses, and beer bottles scattered around the hallway and staircase to the first floor to our room. Once inside I was shocked how bad the room was. It was dirty beyond compare. The balcony through the broken sliding doors had a very sad plant box full of dead vegetation. There was no trouser press as advertised or Iron and board. The tv was reluctant to work and they charged a silly amount for the wifi which, I didn't pay for. The bathroom was smelly, dirty and not a nice place to be. This was further exasperated by a shower that didn't drain. Quite simply you had to shower in under 5 minutes or it would flood, I really would avoid this establishment at all costs this room cost me £130 it wasn't worth anywhere near that. I've stayed in better Holiday inn Express that were bad but good in comparison to this! I can't comment on the Food as we didn't eat dinner only breakfast which was greasy, mundane, cold and not very nice at all. We walked across the toll bridge to the Bathampton Mill for lunch and evening meal which was superb.

Room Tip: Don't go to this tired, sadly run down, establishment.
2 Thank Kevin P
Regarding the wheel condition, unfortunately we suffered very bad flooding this last December and most of our Hotel was destroyed, due to Insurance reasons we were are not allowed to touch the wheel until an assessment was done, the good news is that we now will have a brand new been constructed.

On reading your review it is clear from the offset when you said that as you drove in and saw the “wheel condition of the rusty Water Mill wheel I knew this wasn't going to be a good experience”, you had decided what your stay was going to be like before you even put foot in the hotel. Yes, you are right we did have a wedding function on the night before and the rest of the hotel was booked out by the wedding guests and we do apologise if they put their glasses outside their rooms and had a suitcase outside their room. I think it would be unfair for you to make a judgement on behalf of the wedding guests “(must've been a shocker for them)”. That would not be right. On the contrary we had the wedding bride and groom personally thank us and were very pleased. A lot of the guests from the wedding made an effort to personally thank myself and some of the staff. The rooms have always been complimented on their cleanliness but like I said in the beginning it was clear that you had already decided on what your stay was going to be like even before you got out of your car. We have taken on board any of your constructive criticism and will use that constructively to improve our services. With many thanks and kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Batheaston
BEST WESTERN Limpley Stoke Hotel
Radstock Hotel
#31 of 35 in Bath
Holiday Inn Express Bath
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to Old Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!