“Avoid this hotel at all costs”
Review of Old Mill Hotel

Old Mill Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Batheaston
Reviewed November 15, 2013

To start with I was travelling to Bath from Buckinghamshire as my father was terminally ill and he had very few days left. The manager knew this and was very helpful on the phone about how to get to the hospital and also suggested other hotels in the area for the Saturday night which he was not able to accommodate.

Having spent the day at the hospital I decided to go and book in and when I arrived in the room, number 114 (double superior) I straight away noticed an odd smell. I tried to open the window but there was no handle so I opened the Juliet balcony door to find a flower box with quite a few cigarette butts in it! The room was noisy from traffic noise and probably a huge boiler (or kitchen equipment) underneath and the windows did little to eliminate the noise. To be fair to the manager, when I asked to move rooms he offered me another double but that was smaller and just as noisy so I stayed put.

My partner and I went back to the hospital and returned about 11pm and went straight to bed. Now whilst I was on tender hooks waiting for the mobile to ring, it was not helped by the very uncomfortable mattress. In the morning it was found to be a zip system, with no topper to eliminate the springs pushing against the top making it a very uncomfortable mattress.

In the bathroom, the shower is plumbed in incorrectly; the hot is on the right and the cold on the left which is against the standards and can cause scalding to you or your children, so beware!

The towel rail was fitted into a stud wall with plastic raw plugs and is hanging off. The toilet is not fitted straight and the holders for the various items such as toilet brush, toothbrush holder etc are all wonky for the same reason.

For the first time in my life, I took the manager to the room to point out the faults and told him that I was going to breakfast whilst he thought about what he will be doing about these problems.

Breakfast was very nice with nice staff but as other reviewers have noted, you feel like you are trying to steal something when you go for more. The restaurant is in a great location, as is the hotel, but the seats are stained and threadbare.

Having checked out, I asked the manager what he is proposing to do about my complaint and he said he would be writing a comprehensive report and nothing else was offered. When I asked for the contact details of the owner, he would not give them to me and told me to email the hotel. He did eventually give me the owners name. Because the manager is hard of hearing I found I had to speak loudly for him to hear and he told me to stop being rude! I told him that I was not shouting, I was not being rude, I had not sworn or threatened him but I was angry with his attitude. Pointing to the CCTV camera, he told me that it had all be recorded which is good really, because if his boss is shown the footage he may be disappointed by his managers attitude. That is of course assuming that the cameras was fitted properly and not hanging on with raw plugs! Because

To his credit, the manager did try to please me by saying that the room, 114 (superior double), was a very popular room and guests ask for it when they return. All I can say is that they must bring their own mattress!

No doubt the manager will defend his actions and try to pass the blame, as he has in other reviews, but given that I was waiting for my father to die, I had received very little sleep the last few nights compounded by no sleep here, his customer service is lacking to non-existent and he may wish to consider how he handles customers genuine complaints in the future.

Reading the other reviews, thank god I didn't take the lodges rooms.

Room Tip: Avoid room 114
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank lazysheepmedia
There are newer reviews for Old Mill Hotel

Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

Cute little motel tucked away beyond the outskirts of bath. Very cosy clean rooms, more than comfortable experience. If you book through last minute.com you get amazing rates including breakfast. Just don't eat dinner on site, they charge £3 room services per a person and the food is very overcharged and underwhelming. I've found tescos frozen ready made meals which were tastier.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Booked this hotel for a weekend away with my sister and then read the reviews, we were slightly anxious but from past experience we just went with it. On arrival we drove past the hotel as the way we drove over the toll bridge we did not realise the hotel was there as no signage but after calling the hotel and turning round saw it clearly. The room was clean apart from the carpet could do with good deep clean. Bedding clean and shower/toilet were modern and clean, tea and coffee available in the room and staff happy to provide more milk when needed. We had a meal in the restaurant on the first night and would recommend the pizza, we choose not to have breakfast as not included in our room price and thought the price was too much to pay. Overall the hotel was nice would stay here again if the price was right.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a triple room in the main building. Comfortable large double bed (2 singles zipped together) and a single. Clean bathroom and good pressure shower over a bath.

Staff were very friendly and helpful, good variety at breakfast, great value as included in room rate. Furniture could do with a revamp and de-clutter which would hugely improve the first impression, comfort and atmosphere.

Would be happy to stay again next time we visiting Bath

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 2, 2013

First impression that hits you is how cramped the hotel car park is,its very, very tight parking here. Hotel sits on on old tollbridge next to a waterfall, very picturesque and pleasant to watch the wildfowl on the watermeadows from the bar. Rooms are small but functional. Meals are distinctly Italian inspired (many of the staff come from that region), nice views from the restuarant though. Too far out of Bath for walking but there is a regular bus service. It was full during mid-week and is clearly popular with tourists.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ian J
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Reading the reviews before we arrived at the Old Mill we were a little anxious. Upon checking in we were told we were in the "chalet", which was the smallest room ever, we could not even fit our suitcases in. We had been travelling for 3 days staying in various places and were looking forward to being in the one place for 4 nights. Realising we could not stay here for that length of time we went into town to find wifi as you do not get free wifi at Old Mill to google somewhere else to stay. We found a B&B but it was very difficult to find parking. We went back to the Old Mill and said we were checking out. The manager offered us an "upgrade" in the main building for an extra £15 per night. Purely for the luxury of a car park, which is a very tight fit anyway, we chose to stay. Whilst the room was clean,the carpet was stained and there was no mattress protector between the mattress and bottom sheet. The furnishings were dated, the towel rail was half off the wall, the tv boasted 27 stations but only 3 worked. Our room was cleaned every day and clean towels given which was a bonus. The chairs in the dining room are disgraceful and breakfast was uncomfortable with the manager overseeing everything as if too ensure no one took more than they should - breakfast is dished up to you anyway. Location is good, a couple of good pubs in walking distance, just make sure you don't book the "chalet","annexe" or "lodge". Also beware of photo gallery - our room looked nothing like this.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cathy E
Reviewed November 1, 2013

As below. jaded, clean, good food, be carful when booking you could be put in the anix, staff very nice good for the city, manager strange furniture needs changing. Could do with changing the manager and giving in a refurb this could be made into a top class hotel.

Room Tip: On arrival the staff were helpful, the manager was like a Cheshire Cat! He failed to speak. The hote...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tim W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Batheaston
Holiday Inn Express Bath
Bailbrook House Hotel
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel
Travelodge Bath Central
Radstock Hotel
Radstock Hotel
#29 of 31 in Bath

Been to Old Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!