“Great location”
Review of Old Mill Hotel

Old Mill Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Batheaston
Reviewed October 26, 2013

The Old Mill Hotel is in a great location set on the banks of the river and easy to get to Bath either by walking along the canal (beautiful walk) or catching the river boat. Yes the hotel is a little tired and could do with some upgrading but over all it was clean and acceptable for the price we paid. We had a room in the lodge area in the ground floor which wasn't large but adequate for a couple with two suitcases. The breakfast was plentiful and even though they didn't allow you to serve yourself the servings were generous and the staff were pleasant. My only criticism of the staff would be that the reception staff didn't really offer you any tourist information when we checked in, we had to ask and even then they didn't seem to know much. We ate at the restaurant on two nights and the food was good and reasonably priced. Wifi is not free and this was one of the few places in an 8 week trip of Europe where we had to pay. Over all we had a pleasant three night stay here as all we were looking for was a clean comfortable place to sleep at a reasonable price .

There are newer reviews for Old Mill Hotel

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Read the reviews and took the risk. Was actually quite acceptable for the price. I paid £60 for one night, for a room with a perfect view of the water, etc. As stated in the other reviews, the rooms are very tiny so if you have a larger family I would keep moving. It was my wife, my toddler, and I so wasn't to bad but still very cramped. We ate at the "Italian" restaurant they have and it wasn't to bad either. Now let me state that I've stayed in hotels that have ran over £250 a night, so I do know what a nice hotel is supposed to feel like. I've stayed in way worse setups than this place when visiting Italy as well. So maybe I'm just easy to please, and don't complain about spending a small amount of money to stay somewhere. I mean, really, I don't plan on living in my hotel when I visit somewhere. So to each there own. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Rescue56
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Having booked on bookings.com a last minute booking £135.00 for 2 nights, I felt that we had got a bargain. The room itself was in an outbuilding and smelt of damp when we walked in, it was very small and cramped but myself and my husband aren't very big so didn't struggle too much. The double bed was 2 singles pushed together, the mattresses were not of a good quality so uncomfortable. The bathroom was acceptable but the toilet seat didn't fit properly and when we arrived there was no remote for the tv, we had to let reception know, this was expected I think as they knew there wasn't one. I found that the communication wasn't great with the staff to the guests and we did feel like we were treated like cattle. The evening meal was lovely, freshly cooked, enjoyed it. They do add a service charge on when you pay so therefore I left no tip. A shame really as it would have been more than the charge added. I like to be able to choose if I pay for good service or not. Good job it didn't happen with the breakfast because there wouldn't have been any tip there. The staff were both rude and uninformative. We entered the dining room, asked what we wanted to drink tea or coffee and we were shown to a table, my chair had half the seat missing all the foam was hanging out, I changed it there was no apology from the waiter, who really does need a training course in etiquette, he was a nightmare. When we sat down the toast was chucked on the table as was the tea and coffee pots. We got to the carvery station for full English breakfast I went to pick up a plate and was told that the waiter served the breakfast, I picked what I wanted and asked for a fried egg he said that that needed to be cooked, I couldn't put my food back to wait for this for had no alternative but to eat my breakfast without the egg and wait for the cooking, I pointed this out to the waiter who said "it always takes 5 minutes to cook" at which point I turned around and said that I knew perfectly well how long an egg takes to cook. He didn't ask if my husband wanted fried eggs either, I had to call him back and add to the order. Also there is a sign up which says only 1 breakfast per person, so had no alternative but to eat the fried egg on its own. Badly organised would never return. We felt that everything was money making there was no personal service. I can highly recommend the Bathampton Mill pub and restaurant over the toll bridge, the ambience was lovely and the evening meal was really good. Really welcoming.

Room Tip: All the rooms in the outbuildings are the same small and cramped.
1  Thank ste56
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We were booked and fully paid for three night stay at the Old Mill by our travel agent. We spent 10 minutes in the room which was the time it took us to search the iPad for an acceptable level of accommodation elsewhere actually in Bath. We paid AUS169 per night, approximately £102 per night, for this little crappy room. We arrived late afternoon yesterday to find ourselves allocated a dodgy tiny room in an outbuilding that looks like a bad 1950s motel. The room had a disgustingly soft, lumpy double bed through which you could feel every board of the underlying base. The room was so small there was hardly room to shuffle past the end of the bed, you certainly couldn't roll suitcases down the space. There wasn't room on the floor to lay our two suitcases down, let alone open them. The bathroom had had some proxy cheap update done to it but was still the size of a tissue box and there were pubic hairs on the floor. A tiny module shower thing and a toilet seat that was too small for the toilet bowl on which it was meant to sit. My partner is 6'1" and his hands ran into the ceiling of the room when he put his hand over his head to take his jumper ff. Just a depressing, dodgy, tiny, mankie little hole of a place that I wouldn't board a dog in let alone require human beings to pay £102 per night for. It looked exactly like the dodgy youth hostels that I stayed in in my youth and for which I paid about £15 per night. We didn't even try to argue for our payment back. Between our travel agent and the Old Mill there's some very dodgy and misrepresentative dealings going on. Our travel agent will be hearing from us on our return home. But save yourselves the money and avoid the Old Mill like the plague. Even the e terroir of the main building looks like some through back to a 1960s Benny Hill film. The place is just gross. With one phone call we found a gorgeous townhouse in Central Bath for only £20 per night more than we paid for the doghouse room at the Old Mill and it is absolutely delightful. Do not waste your money or your time on the Old Mill. Your will not enjoy it. Guaranteed.

Room Tip: Avoid the Old Mill.
8  Thank KiriRM
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I have never left a review on Tripadviser before, but I am so frustrated and annoyed after my trip to this hotel that I felt I needed to share it. My partner booked us a two night stay in Bath, something which was precious to us as he is in the army! The Old Mill is in a beautiful location about fifteen minutes from from the city centre. However, I found the hotel to be extremely mediocre and no better than some of the Travelodge's I have stayed in. This wouldn't have been an issue at all if they hadn't charged us £340 for two nights. We were in a standard room, which overlooked the car park. The room was bog standard with a bathroom (with shower), which you could barely move in (two people would not fit). I would say the room was worth £100 a night maximum. We did get breakfast, which was ok, and the staff who serviced us were nice enough.
On the day we left I went to reception after breakfast to confirm the price of the room, as i was sure there had been some sort of mistake and they had put us in the wrong room. However, I was told by an extremely rude man (who I assume was the manager) that this was the price that they charged (despite their website saying rooms were from £130) at the weekend and there had not been a mistake. I am not sure where he got his customer service skills from but i had to walk away in the end and let my partner settle up alone. I certainly wouldn't recommend this place to anyone as you certainly don't get your money's worth. I think the photos prove my point, and confirm I am not exaggerating.

4  Thank Katherine C
Reviewed October 17, 2013

My husband and I only ended up staying here after walking out of the original hotel that we had booked because of the disgusting state that the rooms were in, so when we arrived we weren't expecting anything fantastic. For only $7 more we got a hotel in a beautiful location, with very clean rooms and friendly service.
We ate dinner at the restaurant and the food was quite nice. The entrée meals were fresh and enjoyable and the beef shin main was extremely well cooked and fell apart in your mouth, just like it should.
Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Old Mill Hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the river. It was beautiful.
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed in a Superior Double Room which was ok. The bed was a little uncomfortable and the heating wasn't on, so I was rather chilly but the view was spectacular from Room 106!! Breakfast was lovely and the staff very pleasant. The Hotel is located by a privately owned bridge so there was a 70p charge every time we drove over it....just to warn you!

Room Tip: 106 was by the stairs and noisy before midnight but the view was sooo beautiful! I would say that a...
1  Thank Natalie N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Batheaston
Holiday Inn Express Bath
Bailbrook House Hotel
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel
Travelodge Bath Central
Radstock Hotel
Radstock Hotel
#30 of 32 in Bath

Been to Old Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!