Old Mill Hotel
  • Pool
Dukes Hotel(Bath)
  • Room Service
1,240 results
All reviewsriver viewwater wheelbuffet styleposter bedfull englishlovely roomvisit bathyogurtavonwaterwheelengland
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Really nice quiet retreat. Loved the food and service, the location is what is selling this hotel,
It is stunning, beautiful old features around the hotel itself, the lake to the side and beer garden are beautiful. I would deffinatly recommend this hotel if passing through.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank faith-devotee
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed at the Old Mill & Lodge Hotel for a weekend break. Its location is wonderful, is a short walk to a lovely boat service into Bath and for the energetic is about an hour’s walk on the beautiful canal towpath into Bath city centre.
It’s not a great hotel but then it doesn’t seem to have delusions of grandeur. Our “superior double” room was OK but a little on the poky side for the money we paid. But we had a balcony we could sit out on with lovely views of the river and the mill workings. On the downside our room was so close to the hotel’s air conditioning system which was fixed to the wall just outside our window. The constant humming kept us awake which was tiresome but we lived with it.
We ate in the Italian restaurant one night and it was, again, OK but nothing special. The starters were good but the main course was at best average. The service was friendly and good and the wine made up for any shortcomings. The pub across the river was better value for money.
Breakfast was adequate but it surely can’t be right that health and safety rules prevent you from helping yourself from the hot buffet. However, the location of the restaurant and its scenic views as well as cooing over the family of ducks with their new chicks took any bad feelings away.
You get the sense here is a hotel crying out for a “Hotel Inspector” makeover and a kick up the backside. Bath is a busy place and this coupled with its location means they’ll always get a good trade but it may have led to complacency and sloppy standards. We’ll maybe go again but will ask for the same room. Avoid the Lodge rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building, overlooking the river with a balcony you can sit out on.
2  Thank DodgerW3
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed here for the weeknend, and had an excellent time.

Room was slightly on the small side but well furnished and an excellent small bathroom

Staff were all freindly and helpfull, and the hotel is set in a beautifull location.

Breakfast was very good, and we ate in the restaurant Friday evening and the food was good.

Stroll across the private toll bridge and you will fine the Bathampton Arms, a very nice pub with beautifull views and good food.

Saturday we took the water taxi into Bath wandered around for a few hours then caught the water taxi back again. All in all a very relaxing and enjoyable day.

Sunday we walked half a mile up the road to the canal and wandered along there for a mile or two.

We enjoyed all our weekend and will definately will be returning.

1  Thank Hatfield_Owl
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This hotel is rated no.1 in Batheaston - its the only one I think! We booked here fairly last minute to go to a rugby match so were grateful to have a bed for the night so I shouldn't be too critical really but..- anyway - heres the pros and cons
Pros
Beautiful position on the river (as you expect from the name)
Handy taxi ride into the city
Not as pricey as the city hotels
You can book for one night only (many hotels and guest houses in Bath have a 2 night minimum)
Staff on reception were helpful on the phone - called a taxi for us. Also, having read reviews about how small some of the rooms were I called ahead to ask if we could have one that wasn't tiny - a bit cheeky as we had only booked the basic grade but in an old building there is some leeway.
Breakfast was OK - lovely views from the dining room.
Cloakroom and en suite recently re-furbed (but see cons)
Air conditioning unit in our room (cold day so didn't check it - not sure if air con is standard)

Cons - normally I say that my cons may be other people's pros but somehow i don't think so this time!
The room, while a good size (see Pros) was clearly used mainly as a meeting room - The bed was a pull down and although a reasonable size was not very comfortable and the pillows were the thinnest I have come across in a long time.
The en suite had a musty smell although it looked clean BUT no hot water - as we were heading straight home this wasn't too much of an issue - just wanted to leave. However when we (helpfully as I thought) brought it to the attention of the management that there was a problem we were told we should have read the instructions. And where do you think these were dear reader? In the bathroom perhaps? next to said shower? No - they were on the key card! of course - how silly of me! To read them you would have to take the card out of the slot (thereby switching off the electricity) and of course known to look there. Clearly something they know is a problem but have failed to address in any guest friendly way. Similar problem with the light in the bar claokroom - had to go back to reception to ask where the switch was - actually you have to close the door (in a room with no window) before the light will come on.
Decor and ambiance tired
Breakfast OK but if you are going to have a buffet don't have someone standing there doling out one rasher of bacon per plate.I do not believe it is, as the sign said, an H&S requirement to have food served this way - if it is then pretty much all other hotels I've stayed in are in breach.
Outside is shabby
Automated greeting on the phone is not welcoming and the manager (as I suppose) was surly

Generally this was a hotel which could be sooo much better with a bit of investment of time and pride - I suppose they get plenty of custom being so close to one of the main tourist attractions in the UK though so don't need to change.

Room Tip: Talk to them about your options before you book
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank listmaker589
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed here on the 11th May 13. I was in a 'lodge' room - The room was only a few inches bigger than the bed itself, which was surprising as on a phone call to the hotel before i booked i was tolde the 'lodge' room is bigger than a standard room. It turns out The Lodge rooms are no more than huts on a separate building apart from the hotel, this was not mentioned on my call enquiring about the Lodge room. i Have stayed at Butlins with nicer 'huts'. The room was not only VERY tiny, but it was also VERY over priced for what it was. I have stayed in 5 star london hotels for cheeper. Infact, travel Inns/Travel Lodges are much much nicer, of a much higher standard and class. The room bas VERY BASIC. It was very clean though.
I cant say much more for the service, staff standing outside smoking while guests struggled with suitcases up steps to reception.
Inside the main hotel - very dated and worn out. Scruffy, no sign of quality at all which is what i expected by the cost.
This was birthday treat for my girlfriend, and sadly it made me look like i had not made any effort at all.
I would not recomend this hotel . As a comparison i paid £140 for one night stay with breakfast, i have just recieved an email from a 5 star central london, offering 1 night stay, breakfast and spa treatment for less.

6  Thank CraigCameron