“Deceptive”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Batheaston
Woking, United Kingdom
“Deceptive”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

I booked a weekend at the Old Mill Hotel on the strenght of their website. Nice pictures. It stops there. The hotel is over priced and dated. Tired decor and dirty bedroom carpets. Below average facilities. Better showers in a travelodge. The staff on the whole were friendly and helpful apart from the manager/owner? who was very rude. This was meant to have been a special weekend for my wife's 50th birthday but was spoilt by this below par establishment. Bath is a lovely city but stay somewhere else.

3 Thank Strudders57

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed here for one night on a short break to explore Bath. The car park is very tight, but we arrived early and they were happy for us to leave our car there before check in. We had a lovely walk along the canal into the city though it was a bit further out of town than we thought, the walk took about and hour. A taxi back was £7. Hotel fine, friendly staff, breakfast good. We ate in the Italian restaurant which was also fine. The highlight though has to be the view.
Only critisism is the complicated shower, even with an instruction card given to us with our room key, it was still very complicated to use.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river.
3 Thank Beenthere429
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Just stayed here for one night. We booked two rooms online and found out on arrival that our rooms were in the "lodge". The 'lodge' is a prefab building reminiscent of a builders yard with flowers and bathrooms. The walls are paper thin, you can hear people speaking to each other in the next room.
The breakfast was so greasy and unappealing, we had to go into bath to eat.
This place capitalizes on its location by the water, however it is quite inconvenient to get to bath by bus after walking up a steep hill with no sidewalks and lots of traffic. I wouldn't advise this for the elderly or people with walking problems.
Beside the river, there are a bunch of chairs just thrown there and left. I assume they are rubbish, however I can't imagine they are much worse than some of the chairs in the dining room.

Room Tip: choose elsewhere
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank John1979uk

Travelers are raving about these Batheaston hotels

Devon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Wonderful scenery! We paid a little extra for a room overlooking the river and it was perfect. The room was a good size and included hair drier, trouser press, tea coffee and biscuits! bed was comfortable and shower was of good size. The breakfast was delicious with a great choice, the food at the italian restaurant wasn't so great but that's more to do with personal preference on the food. Overall great stay and would stay again.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Lilyflower2
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed just for one night - arriving late (around 9.30 p.m.). My initial thoughts were that it was a bit dingy. I could see the bar from the reception area and immediately decided that I wasn't going to bother. I was only at the reception area for a few moments before someone came to attend me. He was very pleasant and welcoming. I was directed to my room. I thought the stairs were a bit grubby (use of hoover nozzle would help line of dust at the back of the steps!). There was also a rather tired looking wedding type artificial floral arrangement at the bottom of the stairs - not sure what it's purpose was! By now my heart was sinking. However I was extremely pleasantly surprised. My room was on the first floor and the corrider was clean and bright - quite a different feel. My room was on the small side but was spotless. Lovely bathroom - no bath but generous sized shower. The room was a little on the warm side but a twiddle with the radiator quickly sorted out that problem. Usual hospitality tray - with a couple of packets of custard creams though. Good "extras" such as hairdryer and trouser press.

The bed was comfy and I found an extra duvet in the cupboard. I actually slept really well which is most unusual for me!

I was greeted warmly for breakfast and a pot of tea appeared almost instantly - now that is a definite plus point. Lovely view over the river. Toast appeared almost as quickly as the tea and the waitress helped me to a cooked breakfast. She was extremely attentive and appeared to keep a good eye on all the guests in case they needed anything. I mentioned that I would need a taxi and she immediately offered to organise one.

On checking out, the staff member was extremely pleasant and helpful. I mentioned that I would wait outside for a taxi and he immediately offered to look out for it so that I could wait in the lounge area.

There was a tall fridge in the lounge area which did seem a little strange but having received good and friendly service it didn't really matter and just became a little quirk.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: My room was a standard room and fine for me or for a one-night stay. If you are staying longer it m...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank bjj1212
Christchurch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

The welcome was warm and friendly despite the unseasonal cold. This charming former mill is located in an idyllic spot next to a genuine example of a working toll house - 60p to cross the river.

We tried one of the newer superior rooms with a view of the car park, but this did not turn out to be a noisy problem and we could at least keep an eye on our car. The bathroom was amazing but sadly through no fault of the hotel, the space age bath could only be used in traditional manual mode. The bed was firm but comfortable and spare blankets were available.

Breakfast was traditional and we could enjoy a view out over the water both at breakfast and dinner. The Italian restaurant was reasonably priced and we enjoyed our meal.

The lady receptionist was most helpful in providing a map with suggested walks. We chose to walk from the hotel along the Kennet and Avon Canal into the centre of Bath. The return journey right back to the hotel was by pleasure boat - the Sir William Pulteney. This was excellent and I recommend taking a seat next to the Captain on the upper deck.

The hotel manager, Gary, was cheerful and friendly and told us how the Old Mill had been refurbished and improved over recent years.

Room Tip: Book direct with the hotel for a superior room overlooking the water at the lowest price.
1 Thank netnoggin
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

I have recently stayed at the Old Mill Hotel for an Easter break with my girlfriend and found the experience to be a rewarding one. We stayed in a superior double room with wonderful views of the River Avon and the toll bridge especially in the evening. I booked a four night stay online and I have to say that I thought the views to be better than what was shown on the internet.

The staff were friendly and welcoming, the room was clean and spacious with plentiful supplies of complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits. We had a meal in the restaurant on the first night and the service was quick and the food was of a good standard. Breakfast was excellent with a good range of items, tea and coffee was brought to the table as well as a plentiful supply of toast. The views at breakfast added to the calm and tranquil atmosphere of the place. The shower took a while to get the hang of but was fine once you had used it a couple of times.

We would recommend this hotel and will hopefully be returning in the near future!

2 Thank MikeOR1983
Also consider these accommodations in or near Batheaston
BEST WESTERN Limpley Stoke Hotel
Radstock Hotel
#30 of 35 in Bath
Holiday Inn Express Bath
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to Old Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!