“unique setting; location a problem”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Old Mill Hotel

Old Mill Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Batheaston
Athens, Georgia
“unique setting; location a problem”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is a unique, scenic pastoral setting but as others have noted, parking is a nightmare. Treacherous entrance off the highway, and parking lot far too small and cramped for number of cars it has to serve. Room only adequate; restaurant nice for dinner and good breakfast. In hindsight, we'd have been better off staying closer in to Bath -- not an easy commute.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank John I

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
Rainham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed for the weekend just gone (8th March 2013) and although I agree with many previous comments, I found the hotel, and the manager to be generally ok.
True you cannot help yourself to the breakfast buffett, but is that such a problem, because I was ordering fried eggs each morning, that were nicely cooked to order, the young lady who took my order was quite happy to build my breakfast with all that I wanted, and bring it to my table, no problems with how much I wanted.
Likewise toast, although you could not help youself, you only had to ask for more and it was brought to your table.
The young lady waiting on table Saturday Evening and Sat & Sunday morning certainly was very pleasant and nothing was too much trouble for her.
We had room 125 and the only thing double about it was the double bed that was against the wall one side, jammed at each end beween wall and wardrobe, with just enough room to pass between the dressing table and the bed, and only one chair in the room. (Although there was a stool under dressing table).
The noise from the pipework was very annoying and when I asked I was told the noise had started that day and a plumber had been called and was awaited, but to be honest I did not believe this and the other comments all seem to point out a noisy boiler / pipework ongoing.
Other comments posted about the blanket and sheet we would agree with, but it was not a problem as the room was quite warm.
I was surprised when going to the bar on Saturday at 10:45 it was all in darkness, so I would recommend the Bathampton Mill, just across the Bridge if you want to sit for the evening over a couple of drinks, there was certainly more atmosphere there. (2 min walk max).
The views from Old Mill really are very good and it is in a very good location, and overall the food was ok, we eat in he restaurant on the Friday evening, Italian, which I found to be very good and the price also reasonable, all sweets 4.95, including a very good cheese board that I had.
Whoever sold the black "modern sinks" to this Hotel did a very good job with a very poor product, they were very slow to runaway, and it was really necessary to completely wipe them down after each use as toothpaste for example, just did not run away at all. (I know some will say you should always wipe down the sink after use).
The WiFi you have to pay for which I find very unsatisfactory since most hotels, and even most pubs / restaurants now supply this for free, this seems a very tight way to screw extra out of each customer.
Interesting feature is the Toll Point adjacant to the hotel, 60p each way in the car, which I am told is on of the last four remaining tolls in the country (Ignoring Dartford Tunnell, M6 types etc I assume)

Room Tip: Unless driving, use the Bathampton Manor for evening drinks, just across the bridge. Take some ear...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rob W
Tonypandy, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Location, absolutley stunning.

The staff were generally pleasant and helpfull, with the exception of the gentleman on reception when we arrived, he came across as rude, obnoxious and downright aloof, kept stressing that we had booked on the internet as if it was a social disease, and everyone booking in should be aware of it.

The room. Small approx 10ft x 8ft, claustraphobic, with little privacy becaude of the glass door and windows, although covered by a thick curtain. During the night it became very stuffy and we were afraid to open window for security reasons, the window was on ground floor level and 2ft from the bed, we also had to store our luggage in the car as there was no room for the case and the wardrobe was damp.

Bathroom was nice size, my wife had to call a member of staff to turn off the shower as it had jammed on and the shower drain was blocked.

All in all a thoroughly unpleasant hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Rob S

Travelers are raving about these Batheaston hotels

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Nice hotel, friendly staff, food good but parking a nightmare! Was working late and returning to hotel about 11pm found parking in grounds impossible and had to park in the road. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Lovely view of river / weir right by toll bridge, only disturbed Thursday morning by bin truck.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Stephen W
Wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

The hotel I normally stay at was being refurbished so I was directed to the Old Mill. I had been promised a confirmatory email that never materialised so I was initially pleased to find I was booked for the evening. On entering the room I was impressed. I did wonder why both toilet rolls were on top of the toilet as opposed to one being on the badly installed holder but later on, having a shower, I realised the amount of condensation in the windowless bathroom caused the wall to become soaked, thus making the toilet roll very wet. There was a shaving light that didn't work in the bathroom. As mentioned by others, the mini bar was not cheap, about £8 for a half bottle of wine... There was a modern TV on the wall but it was not on a adjustable bracket so made viewing a bit difficult. As mentioned by others the thin blankets were of little use and more suited to an antique shop perhaps. I became aware of the radiator failing to provide any heat. I pointed this out to reception to be told it has a thermostat that can be adjusted. Perhaps if I was accustommed to old blankets I may have avoided the introduction of the thermostat many years ago. However, having entered the modern world a while ago this only irritated me further. I was told it would be looked at while I was having dinner, the radiators were off in the restaurant as well.... I pointed out a while later there was still no heating. I was told the boiler would be looked at, another 30 mins and the boiler was eventually looked at. Looking at other posts, I suspect the heating may be turned off? The most annoying aspect was a regular noise of a high pitched nature that I found loudest around the shower waste pipe. It ws fairly frequent, about every 10 mins at times, and lasted about 2 mins. I have a recording of it to remind me of a very bad stay. I complained to reception but was told the hotel was full so couldn't be moved but having spoken to other guests they had the same noise in their rooms. As others comment, I started to help myself to the buffet breakfast and was told not to, very annoying. Needless to say I will never stay in this hotel again and will have the memory of it every time I use the toll bridge. I will also listen to my recording of the high pitched noise if I need further bad memories.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.....
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank malawi_9
lincoln
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

My daughter lives on a narrow boat so this hotel was well postitioned for us to see her without taking the car out. I agree with the other comments regarding the manager who we called Mr Grumpy, (Makinbg guests feel welcome is not his strong subject) and the beds have very cheap mattresses on them. We had a lovely room and the reception staff were lovely ( a young lady on arrival and a young man on departure) the room was of a nice size with wonderful river views. We had the whirling noise all night and took it to be the aircon or cooling system for the cellar as they were located on the side of the wall under our bedroom. Breakfast was ok but prefer to be able to help myself. Only Grapefruit on offer as a fruit which I cant eat with cholestrol tablets. Would stay here again if nothing better available. I agree one thin blanket of questionable age is all you are given but the next day we asked for another blanket each and this was given to us all be it a stained old thing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank tabuckleyuk
Nossegem, Brabant, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

The location of this hotel i quite exceptionnal. It stands in front of a marvellous river, just before a small waterfall at two miles of Bath, the Roman settlement the best preserved in England.
The building is an old mill, you can see the big wheel, (unfortunately, it does not move). The dining room has a nice view on the river and the old bridge. You may drive on it if you pay a toll!
Go by night, you won't pay any toll, as the wards are gone.
the meal are of good quality and the English breakfast is delicious.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view on the river.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Hubertgross
Also consider these accommodations in or near Batheaston
BEST WESTERN Limpley Stoke Hotel
Radstock Hotel
#30 of 35 in Bath
Holiday Inn Express Bath
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to Old Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!