“Strange noise and buffet breakfast....”
Review of Old Mill Hotel

Old Mill Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Batheaston
Wales
“Strange noise and buffet breakfast....”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The hotel I normally stay at was being refurbished so I was directed to the Old Mill. I had been promised a confirmatory email that never materialised so I was initially pleased to find I was booked for the evening. On entering the room I was impressed. I did wonder why both toilet rolls were on top of the toilet as opposed to one being on the badly installed holder but later on, having a shower, I realised the amount of condensation in the windowless bathroom caused the wall to become soaked, thus making the toilet roll very wet. There was a shaving light that didn't work in the bathroom. As mentioned by others, the mini bar was not cheap, about £8 for a half bottle of wine... There was a modern TV on the wall but it was not on a adjustable bracket so made viewing a bit difficult. As mentioned by others the thin blankets were of little use and more suited to an antique shop perhaps. I became aware of the radiator failing to provide any heat. I pointed this out to reception to be told it has a thermostat that can be adjusted. Perhaps if I was accustommed to old blankets I may have avoided the introduction of the thermostat many years ago. However, having entered the modern world a while ago this only irritated me further. I was told it would be looked at while I was having dinner, the radiators were off in the restaurant as well.... I pointed out a while later there was still no heating. I was told the boiler would be looked at, another 30 mins and the boiler was eventually looked at. Looking at other posts, I suspect the heating may be turned off? The most annoying aspect was a regular noise of a high pitched nature that I found loudest around the shower waste pipe. It ws fairly frequent, about every 10 mins at times, and lasted about 2 mins. I have a recording of it to remind me of a very bad stay. I complained to reception but was told the hotel was full so couldn't be moved but having spoken to other guests they had the same noise in their rooms. As others comment, I started to help myself to the buffet breakfast and was told not to, very annoying. Needless to say I will never stay in this hotel again and will have the memory of it every time I use the toll bridge. I will also listen to my recording of the high pitched noise if I need further bad memories.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.....
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank malawi_9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
lincoln
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My daughter lives on a narrow boat so this hotel was well postitioned for us to see her without taking the car out. I agree with the other comments regarding the manager who we called Mr Grumpy, (Makinbg guests feel welcome is not his strong subject) and the beds have very cheap mattresses on them. We had a lovely room and the reception staff were lovely ( a young lady on arrival and a young man on departure) the room was of a nice size with wonderful river views. We had the whirling noise all night and took it to be the aircon or cooling system for the cellar as they were located on the side of the wall under our bedroom. Breakfast was ok but prefer to be able to help myself. Only Grapefruit on offer as a fruit which I cant eat with cholestrol tablets. Would stay here again if nothing better available. I agree one thin blanket of questionable age is all you are given but the next day we asked for another blanket each and this was given to us all be it a stained old thing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank tabuckleyuk
Nossegem, Brabant, Belgium
Reviewed March 5, 2013

The location of this hotel i quite exceptionnal. It stands in front of a marvellous river, just before a small waterfall at two miles of Bath, the Roman settlement the best preserved in England.
The building is an old mill, you can see the big wheel, (unfortunately, it does not move). The dining room has a nice view on the river and the old bridge. You may drive on it if you pay a toll!
Go by night, you won't pay any toll, as the wards are gone.
the meal are of good quality and the English breakfast is delicious.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view on the river.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Hubertgross
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Having read some pretty negative reviews we wondered what to expect but arrived with open minds. After getting lost in Bath we phoned the hotel to be given precise easy to follow directions to the hotel and upon arrival the receptionist could not have been more helpful or friendly. The room was adequate for our needs and we found breakfast to be fine although coffee the first morning a little cold it was ok on the second. The only negative would be the bed a little uncomfy and the bedcoverings could do with a rethink.
Overall a great base for visiting Bath and great value..we would happily stay again.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank cathn44
Shaldon, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I booked this hotel for my boyfriends birthday treat ,this was the worse mistake of my life .we ended up in a room that was called a lodge room it was more like a butlins chalet and worse ..we booked a double room but instead we had 2 single beds pushed together then the old mattress sipped together which was really uncomfy we only had a sheet and a blanket it was very old as they did not turn the heating on . the room smelt ,think these lodge room were affected by the floods..woke up in the morning by the cleaners went to have a shower the water was hot one minute and cold the next ,the shower head was stuck round with tape to hold it up finally the shower blocked and water went over shower tray and into the room ..so bad sleep and a horrible shower to start the day of my boyfriends birthday ...

Went in to have our breakfast went to sit in a window table as the hotel had a lovely setting and wanted to admire the views this next thing I had some old scruffy man shouting across the breakfast room telling me I could not sit there I had to sit somewhere else as the table was not set up for breakfast I asked if they could set it up for us he shouted no ...I then went up and told him I didn't appreciate being shouted at like this he said if you think that's bad you should hear me shouting at my staff ....he then just kept eyeballing me while I was eating my breakfast the reception staff were not much better but this is understandable judging on there manager ...

I am not one to moan and write these reviews but this made for a unhappy weekend which cost a lot of money and it really upset me being treated like a member of his staff instead of a paying customer ..this man needs to look at his attitude towards people and start paying to maintain his hotel

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Louise P
respondance, General Manager at Old Mill Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
I think is review is very unfair. Lets get the story straight, these guests made their booking via an internet booking source, after they had made the booking they tried to cancel it and as this was outside our cancellation policy they decided to come to the hotel. They were paying a reduced price of £55 for two persons on a bed and breakfast basis, which anyone that knows Bath would agree this is a very reasonable price. They had booked a lodge room and yet before they entred the room they started complaining about it. We as a hotel have several Zip and Link beds these rooms can be either sold as a twin bedded room or once the base of the bed is linked together and the matresses are zipped together it then gives a 5' double bed, which is what these guests had, the shower would not of overflowed had they not of let the empty satchet from the shampoo gone down the drain.
With regards to breakfast, these guests were one of the last guests to come into the restaurant for breakfast, when gets arrive at the restaurant they are asked their room number, if the want tea or coffee, they are asked to help themselves to fruit juice and cereal and to sit at any table that is laid up for breakfast, we therefore wouldn't expect a guest to sit at a dirty table that hasn't been laid up niether had it been sanitised from the previous guest so when this guest went to sit at a dirty table she was asked if she would mind sitting at a table that is clean and laid up.
I really do not think these guests wanted to be at the hotel and did everything to make sure that we knew it, if anything it was the guest shouting and not myself,

Travelers are raving about these Batheaston hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The hotel itself was lovely, in a beautiful placre by the river. The staff were helpful and the breakfast as delcious. The only downside was the bed, it had so many worn out springs that we could not sleep properly. Were it not for the bed we would stay here again, but the bed is a large factor in a hotel room, and theirs certainly arent good enough.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EmmaQUava
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed just one night in this with my son .The hotel is in a beautiful location, I was on a room only tarrif ......after a bad nights sleep due to a cheap worn out uncomfy matress and the constant whurring of something (not sure what) I had an early appointment in bath so I chose to eat breakfast at the hotel I was informed they did a contiental breakfast £7.50 or a full breakfast £10. I chose the continental and my son the full breakfast ...started with a yogurt it was the cheepest type possible and was thickened with maize starch amoungst a full list of other things not usually found in yogurt. I ate one mouthful and decided not to bother with the rest... my son had the full breakfast reconstituted scrambled eggs cheap sausage limp bacon value beans ... I moved on ....the choices toast.. standard sliced bread ... or cereal ... not a croisant pastry or fruit selection in sight... I complained to the desk clerk and went to pack our things came down to check out and was charged the full price of for both breakfasts I challenged this and was told if I was not happy I should write to the general manager... I paid as I had no time to argue further.....well here it is.... I trust the general manager will read this and sharpen up the act of both him and his staff....maybe even improve the quality of food that they serve and the matresseses on the beds! I left hungry tired and not very happy

Room Tip: If you want a great view ...no sleep and substandard food stay here
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Batheaston
Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel
Radstock Hotel
#31 of 35 in Bath
Holiday Inn Express Bath
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel

Been to Old Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!