“honestly!”

Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Agios Gordios
Reviewed October 18, 2009

We have just had an AI stay for a week at this hotel.
For the value it was very good. We paid just under £29 each per day. (holiday £700, minus flight).
Can I start by saying that the hotel is NOT a 5 star hotel It has never advertised itself as so. It is 4 star.On booking i asked for a quiet room and got one. The room was fine. We had a huge double bed in a standard deluxe room. No problems with size of room or storage and definitely no bugs. We had a fridge (which I dont see the point of) and wonderful views.It was very clean. We had no LUXURY toiletries but didnt expect them as the hotel blurb says that is for bungalow suites.There was a problem with hot water one night but that was sorted immediately.
People have moaned on here about the noise of evening entertainment in the lobby bar. There is another choice-the pool bar. Every evening there was a great atmosphere and where the young tended to gather. We only watched the entertainment once in the lobby bar-the Greek evening which was excellent.
If you wanted tea in your room, you only had to ask for a kettle and it would be delivered.
There were alot of wasps about but that is normal in Corfu in Sept and Oct. We saw many wasp traps and if we removed our empty glasses quick enough, they moved on.
We were however disappointed with the packed lunch. It was one round of sandwiches (for two,), 2 eggs, 2 apples and 2 thin slices of cake. i would get something from breakfast next time.
The hotel was very clean, the staff very helpful (and that wasnt through regular tipping). The food very good and varied (except Sundays).
If there was anything that really annoyed me, was the fact that there were people there who were only half board and had been upgraded to AI. They were also the same ones who took the sunbeds around the pool early in the morning so the rest of us had to pay to go on the beach. We used the elderly gentleman on the beach who is next to the hotel chairs. He charged the same (2 euros less if you didnt use the brolly) and we felt we were helping him out.
We made alot of friends and enjoyed ourselves.
A tip; Whilst driving round the island, we stopped at the other nearby Aquis hotel -Pelakas???(that is 5*) and if you have your room key with you, you can have lunch there. We hired a car for our last 3 days and Stephan at reception actually brought it to the hotel at no extra charge well before rental time.
When staying in a large hotel, we must remember that there will always be things we dislike. Stupid things. I hated the smokers. They sat round the pool with their fags behind them smothering us in smoke. I hated the greedy people who always push in at the restaurant. I hated the poor singers in the karaoke. I hated the people who checked out their room early and made alot of noise. etc etc. But that was nothing to do with the hotel staff. Thats life.
The best thing to do is read the blurb about the hotel and dont expect things that arent there and dont complain about nature!!

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cambridgegal67

Reviewed October 16, 2009

We enjoyed our chill out week here, good job we had beautiful weather for whole week as i dont know what we would have done, we were in a suite which was up quite a steep hill, & views & sunsets were amazing.
Food was good & plenty of it, entertainment wasn't that good but we made friends & sat chatting most evenings.
Too many hills & steps for us, so probably would not go back. Also too many wasps & mosquitoes, but could not fault our room or staff.
The pool was very cold as sun did not get on it untill afternoon, due to time of year as we went the first week in oct.
As it was late in season many shops had closed down.

Reviewed October 15, 2009

The views from the Hotel are spectacular.The rooms near the lift in the main block can be noisy.Rooms can be difficult to find.The food is adequate but buffet warm.The staff can be really nice and the service is good.Some queing at the lobby bar in the evenings.The entertainment is average.Some lovely sitting areas for sun and shade with beautiful views.The pool and beach areas are nice but beware of slipping on the sloping path down to the beach when wet.My wife slipped and broke her ankle half way down. Once disabled everywhere becomes inaccessible as there are steps everywhere.I would possibly go back to this Hotel but do not expect five star.
AP from Northumberland. 0ct 12th '09

1  Thank peartie
Reviewed October 14, 2009

What can I say, I had looked at the reviews previous to our holiday and knew there would be nothing to be worried about with this hotel, but as with all holidays you are always anxcious. There was no need to be my husband and I were treated like royalty and some members of staff were exceptional especially Fiona in the restaurant whom always presented you at the restaurant with a smile and didn't matter how busy she was always made time for my husband and I she also recommended some lovely places to visit, she was an absoloute star . All staff were fantastic and they all deserve a bonus for the hard work that they have put into the hotel this year. As my husband said the staff make the hotel and that is for sure in this case. Nothing was to much for any of them
The hotel was so clean and pleasant and watching the sunset after such a busy day doing emmmmm nothing was fantastic and that is something money can't buy. The memories we take home from this holiday are fantastic and we will be booking for next year. If you have any worries about this hotel DONT it's paradise on a greek island. The best holiday yet, why didn't we go here for our honeymoon 9 years ago!!!!! Don't know if staff get to read these reviews but Thank you Fiona you are a star you helped make our holiday and we hope you are well.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2009

My husband and I have just returned from a weeks holiday at the Agios Gordios hotel and cannot praise the staff enough. Staff were always smiling and helpful. We were invited into the managers office and he asked us if we were enjoying our holiday and did we feel there was anything else we thought could be improved. I have never encountered a hotel manager being so involved with his guests we were very impressed with this. All the girls at reception were both friendly and professional (Anneta and Fotini were very helpful in trying to locate a package that I had left on the plane)
The rooms are not large but clean and all have fantastic views. There was a varied menu and plenty of it! The Olive Tree restaurant was very enjoyable.
I found the week just what we wanted which was to have chill out time and a bonus was that we met some very nice people.
We hope to return for a second visit.

3  Thank macca
Reviewed October 13, 2009

Had a clean room with a nice sea view, plenty of good food at meal time (we did half board). Staff were pleasant. Did not use the pool area we used the week to explore Corfu, recommend one hires a rental car as the location is not served by a great public transport system. There are many nice Greek villages not too distant.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kiwiabroad60
Reviewed October 13, 2009

I agree with alot of other reviwers comments regarding the confusion with the numbering of the floors and the ease with which one could get lost, however that apart, I think the aquis group of hotels are fantastic value for money. I travelled with my mother as a winter break for her. She has not been abroad for over 10 years and despite the thousands of wasps, midges and bugs, it has not detered her from really enjoying our break, she will be recommending the hotel to all of her friends, as indeed I will.

Only critisims I have are the portions in the Olive Tree Restaurant were Billy Bunter sized (lots of un-necessary waste), and also I could not fathom out why certain folk got upgrades to the Junior suites ( kettles with tea making facilities, lounge with a 2nd tv, sofa etc) and others did not...as we are all price conscious these days, and will compare notes, this did leave me somewhat bewildered. Twin beds were disappointingly narrow, however a small obstacle.
Thankfully we missed the rain too. A great break.

• Stayed: October 2009
Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel
Romantic Palace Hotel
Romantic Palace Hotel
#4 of 13 in Agios Gordios

Been to Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort? Share your experiences!