“Lucky change of hotel”

Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Agios Gordios
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Just got back from our most enjoyable week. Our original choice became unavailable and we were offered the Agios Gordios instead. It Could not have been better for my wife and I.So many favourable comments have been made regarding the building, the location, food and entertainment that I don't need to add to. This is my first ever hotel review and is prompted as a way of thanking the hotel staff. All of the staff we met were so friendly and efficient. They helped make this a memorable holiday for us and as this is the final week they deserve a special thank you.

Room Tip: we had room 2409. the sea views and sunsets views were superb.
2  Thank veronica250
Write a ReviewReviews (2,434)

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Just returned from a quick 4 night get away with my sister and her husband 25th to 29th October and we were very lucky with the lovely sunny weather. Hotel was in the last week of the season but the staff were so friendly and helpful you would never have known although the resort itself was a bit of a ghost town with probably 90 percent of the tavernas and shops already closed. The rooms were a very good size and very clean and comfortable. The food was enjoyable with plenty of choice and something for everyone. The entertainment was a bit impromptu as most of the regular seasonal acts had finished but on the whole it was good fun due to the audience participation and the effort of the animator. As mentioned in other reviews, the location is great and we managed a couple of superb walks thanks to typed details obtained from reception. However, the walks are definitely not for anyone with mobility issues as there is alot of clambering uphill on uneven tracks but definitely worth it if you are able. A bit of a negative if you like the beach from dawn to dusk is that the sun didn't get to the beach just outside the hotel until about 1100 hrs due to the mountain shielding it, so early on it looked a bit dull. However, the beach a couple hundred metres to the right got the sun early so if you were desperate it would only mean a short walk first thing. We also hired a quad bike for the day which was great fun especially as the roads were so quiet that late in the season. We did get a slight drain smell in one area of the hotel when walking from our room to the main area but it wasn't horrendous and was only there for a couple of seconds. All in all, we had a fabulous time and would definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Linda H
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Visited this hotel earlier this month (October). I went with a friend for a 5 day break to escape the stress of normal everyday life as a working mum!

We had originally booked another hotel and got this one instead. I think things worked out for the better! Firstly this is adult only, which I wasn't sure about but realised that I would have pined for my own children if there had been others there.

The hotel is at the bottom of steep hills and right in a cove. The scenery is absolutely stunning and the hotel has made the most of this. There are some steep hills directly outside the hotel so if you are based in one of the bungalows you will have a walk. You will also have a steep walk to and from the beach. This cannot be helped and the hotel have made it as easy as possible.

The reception staff are friendly and helpful, they all speak very good English which is helpful.

The rooms were perfect. Modern clean and comfortable. The bed was a bit hard if I am being honest. The bathrooms are really well equipped with a good power shower. You have TV with a DVD player. You can borrow DVD's from reception.

You can have fresh towels daily if required. The bath towels are a little small so don't cover much! Beach towels can be borrowed but you have to pay 10€ each at reception and then collect from the pool bar.

The sea view from our room was incredible. I have some amazing photos of the sun setting.

We had great weather but a couple of storms during the night. We stayed 15/10 - 20/10. We came home with a nice tan.

The pool area is really lovely. There are loads of sun beds, which you are not allowed to reserve. Some of the beds were broken in certain places which I think the hotel need to deal with.

The pool bar, is great. There are sandwiches and cakes served in the afternoon for the all inclusive customers. There is also a creperie in the sushi bar inside the hotel where you can get pancakes at any time. We didn't use this.

The food is very good. The choice is pretty immense. My favourite night was Greek night....the food was delicious. There is so much food available be prepared to put on weight!! There is always soup and various starter type foods, plus numerous choices of mains and lots of puddings.

Breakfast is good also with different dishes available daily including fresh pancakes which were lovely.

I cannot fault the food choices or food.

There is a roof terrace which is stunning at night, there is plenty of comfortable seating up there too. There is a jacuzzi available here but looked pretty dirty so we didn't use it.

There is a spa on site, and they have special offers running so wait till you get there before you book. Being a beauty therapist myself I was expecting a fairly high level of treatment, but was to be honest a little disappointed. There is no music playing and you are left in the room during facials, which is a no no in my salon. I booked a hot stone massage and I was literally rubbed all over with oil and then hot stones placed along my spine. As I lay there the therapist was cleaning up around me which again is not really acceptable. The treatment was expensive and I don't think the treatments are up to standard. I was also asked to turn over with no assistance with the towel to protect my modesty. The therapist then pulled it down exposing my top half which was not pleasant.

The beach is a walk but is really lovely. It's very sandy and there is a bar nearby for drinks.

There is a bus daily from the Town to Corfu which we did. The walk to and from the hotel is a bit of a nightmare but at the end of the day there is nothing that can be done about this.

The negatives of this hotel in my opinion are as follows:

The smoking. This is allowed on balconies and around the pool. I am a non smoker and felt that I was constantly breathing in other peoples smoke and it made me feel quite ill. We had to close the door to our balcony on a few occasions as there was a smoker in the room below us out on his balcony smoking. I would suggest the hotel on,y allow smoking in certain areas of the grounds so that it doesn't affect other non smoking guests.

The noise from the entertainment. We were in the main body of the hotel and once the entertainment starts at night (quite late) the noise is incredible. It travels along the corridors and you may as we'll be in the same room. I would suggest if you like to go to bed earlyish then ask for a room overlooking the pool or roof terrace as these rooms are not in the main building.

Overall:

This hotel is excellent. I would definitely go back despite the negatives. There is nowhere that can get it right for everybody. The scenery is incredible, the hotel and grounds were immaculate. The food was excellent and the staff friendly. It's the perfect hotel for relaxing.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank 1434cooper
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Just returned from a weeks stay here one word FABULOUS! Went for our Ruby Wedding Anniversary, staff very friendly and helpful always aimed to please, location very picturesque sea chrystal clear, sandy beach with good beach bar plenty of sun beds,adults only which was great, very peaceful.Good evening entertainment.

Room Tip: Stayed in a bungalow overlooking sea definetely worth the upgrade
4  Thank Lynda C
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Just got back from a week away. Luckily the weather was superb so we were happy to stay on the beach all day as the hotel lacked appeal! The beach was not kept clean or tidy and it was disappointing in the morning to be confronted with rubbish, cigarette ends first thing in the morning. The staff were very attentive in the restaurant and worked hard. This really should be a fantastic hotel as the location was breathtaking. Our room was kept clean and was adequate size wise but the drain smell was unpleasant. The food was ok but lacked imagination!. Unfortunately all the bars and eateries along the beach were either closed or univiting.

1  Thank lindaandmichael_10
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Stayed here between 11th and 18th Oct . Staff all very freindly and helpful. Rooms very clean with great sea views.The food was very good and plentyful, with lots of choice, BUT dont leave it to the last min. to eat as choice could be limited . Pool bar was good , but didnt do lunch for All Inc.You were req. to go up to main resturant, or Buy the meals they wre serving. Entertainment was usual stuff,greek dancing group, singer/guitarist , belly dancer. Bar staff were very good. The walk to the village is up a fairly steep road, but after refreshment the walk back along the beach is lovley. All in all realy enjoyed our time there.

Room Tip: We stayed on 3000 level same as reception and lobby bar. No Noise issuses.
2  Thank walker247
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Stayed there from 17 th October to the 24th. Stunning views. Stunning place.
Very clean. Excellent staff. Magical. Walk along the board walk to the small village, wonderful.
Small cats come out to greet you who do need to be fed as they are strays. They very much enjoyed cut up sausage and omlette with water in their little dish!!!!!
If you like a special spirit like a certain brandy, take it with you.
No need to dine out as the food is lovely.
If you are still awake, as it is so relaxing, later on in the evening, the entertainment is good.

Room Tip: if you are in the main part of the hotel you have a sea view, if you are in a villa it may not be gu...
2  Thank kramek
Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel
Romantic Palace Hotel
Romantic Palace Hotel
#4 of 13 in Agios Gordios

Been to Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort? Share your experiences!