“Great Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Agios Gordios
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We went with friends and had a wonderful week. Erika (front desk manager) sorted out great rooms close to our friends and a great birthday pack (cake, champagne & fruit). As it was a 60th it started the day off wonderfully!
From our arrival, very late at night (soft drinks and sandwiches were provided) we were looked after very well by the staff. Look out for these people, excuse spellings, all of whom provided wonderful friendly service:
Erika, office manager.
Dimitri who booked us in on a very late night!
Restaurant staff: Especially Katarina & Yvana.
Beach barman Dimitri.
As already said our rooms were very good, food was buffet style throughout with lots of variety. Greek night was especially good. Talk to the staff if you want anything different they try very hard to please.
Beach was good and if you like the sea it is magical. Bar was a few steps away and part of all inc.
If you wanted food from beach bar it was extra, all food is in restaurant. This leads to the steps!
Do not be put off by any comments you may read on this subject. Yes there are steps but they are shallow and easy to climb and lift is fine from pool bar up.
Along the beach, 10 min walk, is a lovely Greek village, where everybody is made welcome. We had several drinks and a meal in the village, all good value.
We hired a car for two days, 160 euro for Suzuki Jiminy jeep. South is mainly unspoilt, north a little commercial for us. This was great way to see the island and find some lovely Greek villages.
Recommend this hotel/holiday we all had a great time.

Room Tip: Talk to staff they are very helpful.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank John S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (660)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Laytown Co Meath
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We have just arrived back from a two week stay at this hotel and I have to say it was a little disappointing. The room was only an ok size the bathroom was a snug size, as I am comparing this hotel to a 4 star hotel I stayed in for 2 weeks four weeks previous. We paid €2500.00 for two weeks at this hotel through booking.com and the all inclusive four star hotel was in Spain and we paid €1100.00 for two weeks at that one. The safe in the room was €39.00 which I thought was a bit much. The food was only ok but often only luke warm. There were a few power cuts while we were in the hotel and although it only lasted a few mins, this demonstrated the hotels age. It is rough around the edges with scuff marks on walls, old towels and bed linen etc. There are a lot of wasps at this hotel, with a lot of of wasps nests visible around the hotel, when I say lots of wasps imagine sunbathing and having 4 or 5 wasps around you every 5 mins. This was not the case at other restaurants and bars as I ate at Taverna Sebastien and had drinks at Madison Gardens nunerous nights and I did not see any at all. I asked at reception why the nests were not removed and the receptionist replied as it would be too expensive and "that if I thought it was bad now I should see it in September". My husband was also planning to do some light work when he was away reply to emails etc but the wifi in the hotel is painfully slow. He spoke to the head of guest services about this and she informed him that it was 2MB of wifi for 500 guests and he discussed other wifi options with her such has satellite broadband options but her reply was yet again it was too expensive and he found her "what can you do approach" frustrating. The beach at the hotel is beautiful however there are a lot of cigarette butts visible in the sand which was a shame, we drove around the island a lot and it was a shame to see so many dumpsters of rubbish overflowing with bags of rubbish scattered around.

I also availed of the services of the hotel manicurist while I was staying at the hotel who I found to be very disappointing. I decided to avail of a special offer advertised at reception which was a manicure and pedicure for €50.00 however I arrived down to the spa to a woman searching through a lot of bags on the floor for files, polish etc. Then she carried out the pedicure which was fine and when she began my manicure she said "I have shellac long lasting polish if you would prefer I use this on your hands" I replied sure after having shellac many times. When she was finished she said, that will be €90.00 and I only take cash" as I was staying at an all inclusive hotel I had planned to pay with card or put the treatment on my room. I also was shocked she was charging so much extra for the shellac polish on my hands €40.00 extra. (My manicurist here in Ireland charges me €40.00 for shellac manicure and pedicure) When I went to reception to question this yet again the reply was, there is nothing I can do as this woman does not work for the hotel. I had to go the room get the cash and just pay her as she was shouting at me in reception saying give my my money as I am late to collect my daughter, which was embarrassing. All of the above happened in front of a receptioist and all she could do was look away. I feel if this lady is advertising her services in the hotel and using their facilities, they are responsible.

The food at this hotel is ok. Often served barely warm. You have to pay extra even if you are all inclusive for food at the pool bar. There are light snacks available for all inclusive guests such as small triangle sandwiches and slices of cake but no plates or cutlery are offered only napkins I asked twice at the pool bar which I was told by the staff use the napkins. If you want anymore you have to pay. There is also only one brand of local beer included in the all inclusive package which is not great. There is a good selection at breakfast time but lunch is ok offering such things as pizza, chips, sometimes a chicken casserole of sorts, sometimes fried white fish the salad bar is ok. The selection of fruit at luch and dinner is poor offering only three or four fruits, watermelon, apples, oranges. We dined at a lot of restaurants outside the hotel in the evening and we met many guests with the blue all inclusive band on there arm dining outside the hotel. The hotel is at the top of a hill and even though I jog 5 miles a day six days a week myself I found it a challenge.

Also I found it unusual in such heat that you were not offered bottles of water at the hotel there is one bottle of water in the fridge when you arrive and it was not replaced. When you go to the bar you get your water in a little plastic cup which is gone intwo seconds and there are also signs at the bar that you can only order two drinks at a time. This is more than likely to encourage you to use the shop next door which was not that expensive so it was fine.

The gym is ok there are two treadmills, a crosstrainer, an excercise bike and a vibroplate thing. There is a weight machine but no free weights and no mats. It was also disappointing that pepole were allowed excercise in bare feet with no sweat towel as the gym is un supervised, there is not even a sign to say proper footwear should be worn.

Entertainment

The entertainment crew were lovely people and although I am not a joiner I can appreciate they work very had and long days. The lobby bar offered the following entertainment;

Sunday - A very good opera style group called Overture (I think)
Monday - Piano Bar
Tuesday - Greek Night - A little boring if you are staying for two weeks.
Wednesday - Belly Dancing - Ok
Thusday - A one man bad fella singing in Greek and English only ok.
Friday - Piano
Saturday - Salsa/Latin Dancing.

The last thing I would like to note as this hotel is noisey. I witnessed numerous pepole also complaining about the noise as some of the rooms look on to the rooftop bar which opens until around 1am if my room was looking on to this I would not be happy. Our room looked over the tunnel bar which was fine but in one of the nights the music was very loud and there was a bonfire on the beach. I could hear people very clearly in the halls, getting in and out of the lifts the cleaners talking to each other. I also heard the guy in the next room sneeze and cough a few times which was a shame. Therefore read the reviews a select a good room.

There is no room service offered at this hotel.

4 Thank Catriona_1980
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is a stunning hotel, set in the hills overlooking the bay of Agios Gordios ... as such there are plenty of hills and steps around - not a problem if you're happy to be active, but be prepared. Two hotel based options for day time activities: 1. Sit by the pool and bar with a full range of activities timetabled (yoga, aerobics, table tennis...) 2. Walk down the steps for a more relaxed day at the beach (and beach bar) . We loved the sandy beach and crystal clear water - also just a 10 minute walk along the beach (past lots of bars/tavernas to the main high street of 'town'.

Lovely clean rooms with amazing sea views and a huge selection of food at meals - we would love to go back.

A relaxed hotel and resort with plenty going on day and night, but the average age of guests was probably about 50 so definitely not party central.

1 Thank skier72
Cottesmore, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Arrived back from last night after an 11 night stay at the Aquis Agois Gordios Hotel on an all inclusive basis. Had a lovely holiday but won't be returning to this hotel. On the surface the hotel looks lovely and tidy but its looking tired and in need of some tlc. Room was ok size with a lovely view over the bay which was perfect to watch the fantastic sunsets! But furniture was scuffed and room was not clean.Bathroom needed a good scrub! Floors were not swept and were thick with dust. Bed was comfortable but the pillows has seen better days. You have to pay for the safe in the room which was disappointing as this is normally included in all inclusive. The restaurant was a typical buffet style with a good choice of options and theme nights a couple of times a week. Waiter service could be a bit slow but the young girls and Tassos were brilliant. A la carte was amazing,the food and service here was fantastic, you get one meal free included in your stay but you can book again if you wished you to pay. Unfortunately it was only open a couple of times during our stay. Pool area was clean and tidy, the sunbeds were comfy but looking like they had seen better days but there were always some free but more umbrellas would be a good investment. Lots of wasps about but the well stocked shop does sell candles and sprays(the hotel should invest in those because you can't eat outdoors) Bars were well stocked and bar staff were quick and efficient especially Dimitri down at the beach bar and Michael at the lobby bar. Beach is down a flight of steps and wouldn't recommend this for people with walking difficulties. Beach is lovely always beds available and sea was shallow and clear. Nice walk down to resort with nice tavernas along the front and bars up through the resort. Made some great friends and had a lovely break. This hotel could be fantastic if the little things were looked after.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have a sea view BUT request this anyway as some face over the back of the hotel. B...
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2013

This hotel is great for couples and small groups of friends who are seeking a relaxing break. The hotel is a short transfer from the airport in an idyllic spot on the west coast. Room was on the small side but was clean and had all amenities needed incl. air con. Only gripes were paying for the safe normally included and we would have preferred a double bed and not two singles pushed together!! Restaurant fine, clean and staff friendly enough. Food was decent, not the best all inclusive I have experienced but ok. Beautiful sunset views every night. The hotel does have a bit of a problem with wasps, we ate inside mostly because of them pestering. Mosquitos are RIFE, take your own candles to burn and v strong spray, a lot of the guests had visible bites because the hotel is on the water edge. Pool is lovely, no problem with sun lounger availability. Pool bar v convenient. Beach bar was a little downtrodden and smelt a bit strange- rotting wood? Hotel is not a 5* as our agent had us think, it is a bit 70's in places and could do with renovation. Entertainment was quite poor but everyone is different- watching a fat man dance Latino whilst eyeing up the ladies in the audience was not for us!! Hired a quad bike to tour locally - Achilles Palace worth a visit- stunning views. Only went to the main street once or twice to get a coffee, but reviews from other guests were that restaurants are good value if you want a change from the cattle mart dining experience of the hotel! Overall worth the money and Corfu is a stunning place.

Room Tip: Hotel room not bungalow. and not overlooking the bat terrace as it is noisy
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MrsHumidiTea
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Everything was perfect, the hotel staff is very nice, the view is great! So for 7 days I and my girlfriend we were in paradise! The only downside is that there were quite a lot of wasps( we were both stung on the last 2 days) but was not such a big deal, except if you know you have an allergie…

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank Floriangrc
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Great view, friendly staff (especially the two animators Ali and Joanna).
The room was big and clean, the same for the terrace.
Free crepes (pancakes) for all-inclusive stay.
All the rooms + restaurants + gym have sea view.
The pool was clean, but the water has maximum 1.45 m.
The beach bar tunnel and the path towards it are great - many flowers and steps.
What I didn't like: too many bees!! No way you can relax with them flying around all day long. They have nests on the hotel roof, which is not normal

• Stayed August 2013
Mayor Capo Di Corfu
Mayor Capo Di Corfu
#1 of 4 in Lefkimi
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,284 reviews

Been to Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort? Share your experiences!