“the truth”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Agios Gordios
Scotland
“the truth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Me and my partner stayed here in 2011 it's a really beautiful hotel the food was good rooms IMMACULATE gorgeous views !! We hired a car so assent stuck at the hotel 24/7 as there isn't much to do around the hotel some shops and bars down the hill and also a bus stop I would recommend taking the bus into Corfu town it's amazing we went a boat trip to the Crystal clear turquoise waters a must see and Corfu town is beautiful. Also renting a car isn't dear we travelled all around the island it doesn't take long all around the quaint little villages and towns,we drove to jacks for the day as it was so cheap would recommend there. don't be put off by the roads as they were fine! Back to hotel yes there was a few wasps and I am petrified from them but they didn't bother me I must of seen about 5 wasps in the whole 2weeks we stayed. Try get sunbed early as all the good spots were always taken.if you are going for two weeks please rent a car it's cheap and u can do your own thing! The staff were friendly I can't say a bad thing about the place really :-)

Room Tip: Rent a car so much to see! We were 23 and managed to drive around on our own all round the island wi...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank aitkens8887

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (648)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Midlands uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Went to this fab hotel for an early break last Spring. After reading reviews decided that we would give it a try. So happy that we did, had a great relaxing 10 days, recharged the batteries and enjoyed the food, fantastic location clean and comfortable bedrooms and friendly staff. (Could not do enough for us-many thanks). If you want an adult only holiday this hotel complex fits the bill.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Anna1005
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

Me and my Fiance stayed at this hotel back in April 2012. It was our first holiday together and during our stay we celebrated his birthday as well! All I can say that we had the best time of our lives. The location of this hotel and the view is stunning. Bedrooms are so clean and modern. Staff are so frindley and helpful. All inclusive package absolutley worth it, drinks and food was superb and we couldn't have asked for more. We wanted to go back this year but unfortunatley It seems they are not operating in April anymore and we can not find this hotel in any website to book again.

Room Tip: Go for a seaview room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Flirtishia
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

I choose this hotel due to good free wifi internet acces in rooms, because I had to be online with my work colegues several hours every day. My wife spent hours a day in the beach very close to me. Food and beverages was OK, hotel programme was very simmilar like in all hotels so we prefered evening walk on sandy beaches in Aquios Gordios. Wheather was very nice every day 30 degrees and sun and I want to go back probably next year.

Room Tip: Higher room are better
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jiri_61
Peterborough
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

Our trip began in September 2012, somewhat late in the season. This meant the mornings were chilly, and so were the nights, but the daytime remained hot, still around 30 degrees.
The hotel on arrival was down a long windy road, not the most attractive entrance but inside was much nicer. The hotel's best point is the amazing sunsets. Make sure you head to the terrace bar first evening for sunset. What made the holiday for us was the entertainment staff, Mickey, Ella and Hector. They kept us busy with darts, early stretching and did a great beach party at the end of one evening at the beach bar. The beach was great, warm sea, clean, free sunbeds, access to the free drinks from all inclusive bar. The hotel is child free so was peaceful in that respect. The pool was icy cold and was only bearable for me to dip my feet in. There were also a number of missing tiles which my partner cut his foot on twice. Food was pretty good, though only one restaurant (advertised two). Drinks were fine, tip waiters for missing the queues. The hills meant many elderly people were struggling, as was I due to a hip problem, we had a bungalow which was up a steep slope. Do not go for this if you are struggling to walk. The beach steps were also steep but I felt myself getting fitter each day! It's worth a trip to the town some 500 yds up the beach. Visit Madison Gardens for cocktails, big screen tvs and a great host! Fabulous cocktails and lattes in the daytime! Lovely seating and cleanest place I have ever been abroad.
Both had a massage in the spa no music required just the real wave sounds! Luxury!
Wasps yes we're a pain in the bum I avoided the cola because they crawled up the spouts (some kind of cover would be good) and they won't leave u alone but stupid people leave drinks sitting around which just attracts them. There is so much vegetation it's hard to see what hotel can do.

Room Tip: Up high for views in main hotel, all have sea view. Bungalows for great views, great rooms, but stee...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LozzyLeopard
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I (both 25) stayed at this Hotel back in October for a week and I have been meaning to write a review ever since! I have to start with the view- the setting of this hotel is stunning and you can see right along the horizon – perfect for the beautiful sunsets each evening!

On arriving at the hotel we were slightly disappointed that we’d been given one of the lower bedrooms so our view of the sea was not as good as it could have been, the room was also quite small and my boyfriend is 6 foot 4 so he went back up to reception to see if they had any other suites available. The reception staff were incredibly helpful and upgraded us FOC to one of the Bungalows. Having read other reviews on here I thought the Bungalows must not be as nice as the rooms, but that is far from true! Our Bungalow was beautiful with separate sitting room, bedroom and bathroom all decorated with a modern, crisp finish. The room was immaculate on arrival, cleaned every day and provided with fresh towels each morning. It was located just at the top of the hotel drive, so only a 3 minute downhill walk to the main reception and we both said we preferred this as you felt removed from the hustle and bustle of the main hotel, it felt more secluded.

The food in the hotel was much better than expected after reading reviews; while we were there we experienced an Italian and Greek night, both of which had plenty of choice of really tasty food. You must have a Giros at lunchtime – they were amazing!

The pool area was very pleasant and tidy and we got along brilliantly with the bar staff, in particular Fotis who worked the evenings and really made our holiday! Due to the position of the pool it is in shade until about 2pm so can be a little cold, but this didn’t bother us as we spent our days on the beach. There are a lot of steps down to the beach and in the main body of the hotel and although they didn’t bother us it isn’t really for anyone who struggles with walking. The beach was clean and there were plenty of sun beds. We enjoyed swimming in the sea each day which wasn’t too cold once you got used to it! The beach bar also provided a nice place to have a drink after a day in the sun. Yes – as other people have mentioned there did seem to be a lot of wasps around, but they were actually quite friendly. Not like our aggressive wasps back home – these wasps wouldn’t sting you unless hugely provoked. They seemed to be quite happy just buzzing around so we left them to it and did not experience any problems with them.

We ventured into the village one evening for dinner on the beach which was lovely. We were there end of season though so everywhere was quiet and ready for closing up. We also got the bus into Corfu town one day which is not to be missed! It is a beautiful city with lots of lovely restaurants to choose from. The bus times are available at reception and bus tickets can be bought from the little shop next to the stop. I think it was two euros each way?

All in all I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a quiet, relaxing, romantic getaway. We are not the kind of people who look to go back somewhere a second time but we’ve both said we’d love to return to this hotel one day and relive our first holiday together!

Room Tip: We preferred the Bungalows to the main hotel, even though they are a little walk away.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Katie T
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed there in Mid August 2012 for a week. We didn't go through Thomson the main agent at the hotel but that didn't matter. Firstly the good points:- The location is wonderful with a great beach, it faces west so you are guaranteed stunning sunsets. The rooms in the main part of the hotel are ample space wise but the bathrooms although well fitted are a little cramped. The hotel is very clean and the staff are always happy to help. Local drinks are part of the 'All Incl' and they are OK but nothing more. If you want the international brands you have to pay, but it does make you appreciate them as they are not the cheapest, but the cocktails at the beach bar are wonderful if you push the boat out. Lastly the food is varied and plentiful and of reasonable quality but the restaurant is a little cramped and being buffet style is manic at the busiest times. The entertainment staff and beach bar staff were brilliant.
Now the not so good points: - I'll keep the worst part until last so you'll have to read it all!! We are soooo glad we didn't choose a bungalow, there's more than enough steps at the hotel to keep you fit without the need to walk up and down some of the steepest roads getting to and from them. They are well fitted however, larger than the main rooms but the bathrooms are even more cramped for some reason with even the shower space minimal - We know as some friends we met invited us along and gave us the tour.The steps as I mentioned are everywhere, they do get you fit but they can also get quite slippy. The sun doesn't hit the main hotel beach until around 10:30 but when it does wow it gets extremely hot - take sandals or flip flops as the sand's a foot burner!! if you want some early sun walk down the beach. Everyone 'books' sunbeds with towels regardless of signs - don't moan about it just get your on their first!!

The reception is the least welcoming part of the hotel with the least friendly people - just our opinion. The suishi bar never opens. The food can seem repetitive even after a week. The restaurant needs A/C throughout as it gets very hot at peak times.We ate out one evening in 'recommended' bars down the beach. We hoped for an authentic Greek meze - forget it the best you will get is a meze starter only and it's not cheap or good quality. We were so put off trying to find what we wanted and we tried many many places we headed for a place selling pizzas which was a mute point as we were all dressed up. Thomson rules the hotel and the music even around the pool is there but you need to sit in front of the giant speakers to hear it - take a ipod or walkman for some music - the staff want to liven things up at points during the day to cater for some of the young ones there and the young at hearts but they can't - such a shame!

Now the clincher - WASPS. Hundreds of them everywhere during the day - small ones like you find all across Europe but others 3cm long - WASPZILLA as dubbed them. There's hornets too so watch out. The bar staff are heroes for putting up with them as they swarm around the fizzy drinks dispenser. We were told it was going to get worse from late August too!!!. If you don't mind them crawling between your toes and buzzing around your face then this is the place to study them but I did get fed up with looking each time you sit back or put your footwear on when outside. I even took to smoking some cigars to try and put them off - nothing worked. We didn't get stung but many did so if you are going - take some sting relief or anti-histamine just in case.

Would I go back - no - but not for any of the reasons above - there's far better Greek islands and although they say location is everything here it just isn't. As for being classed as 4 or 5* maybe somewhere between 3 and 4*. It is overpriced and although you get a break from the kids there's better places without the 'little wildlife'! A week was enough!

Room Tip: Don't be fooled into getting a bungalow unless you're fitness freaks
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Mayor Capo Di Corfu
Mayor Capo Di Corfu
#1 of 4 in Lefkimi
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,255 reviews

Been to Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort? Share your experiences!