“On Balance, Not Great”
Review of The Pink Palace

The Pink Palace
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Agios Gordios
Reviewed December 26, 2008

The Pink Palace is a sprawling complex overflowing with guests, most of whom will attempt to spend the entire time getting drunk, hooking up, or both. This might suit some people, but it really wasn't my scene.

A couple of things to dislike:

- There is not one central housing area. There are at least five, and they're not all located right next to each other. I was put in a room that was at least 300 yards from the main complex. This is a problem because they force you to buy their meal plan, and you have to hike up a very steep hill to get to their mess hall. I mean, that hill is nasty. I'm all for working out, but I want to do it on my terms, and I don't want to be forced to do it multiple times a day.

- The beach is very rocky. It's tough to walk on. It's absolutely packed with tourists. You have to pay if you want a beach chair, and then pay again for an umbrella. And even then, you'll be within inches of dozens of other people.

- They attempt to monopolize your experience on Corfu. As mentioned already, they force you to buy their meal plan, they attempt to book your ferries and/or buses to/from the complex, they are the major provider of motor scooters nearby. This wouldn't be such a problem if they weren't always running out (I attempted to rent a scooter three times so I could explore the island, and each time they promised me there would be one free the next day, but there wasn't.), if they weren't charging exorbitant prices, or if there were competition nearby. Unfortunately, there's not.

- The luggage room, where you have to keep your luggage before you're given your room or while you're waiting for the bus after you've checked out, is completely unguarded. It's literally a room wide open to the area's main thoroughfare.

- I wanted to take a ferry to Bari, Italy, after my stay on Corfu. I booked my ferry ticket through the Pink Palace's front desk. I paid them for the ticket, and they told me which Pink Palace-provided bus to take to the ferry. I told them that I thought the bus would be too late for the ferry I wanted to take. I asked three employees; each told me the bus would get me there on time. I was right to be apprehensive, because all three employees were wrong. I missed the ferry (it wasn't even close; the front desk had an outdated schedule), and was forced to buy a ticket from another ferry company. To their credit, the Pink Palace management gave me a 50% refund for the ferry ticket, though I still think they should have given me a full refund because it was entirely their fault that I literally missed the boat.

Good things: the food in the mess hall was decent; if you're social, you will meet new people; if you're a party animal, you'll probably enjoy yourself; it is pretty inexpensive.

If you're looking for a quiet getaway where you won't have to contend with scores of drunken college students, avoid the Pink Palace, and probably avoid Agios Gordios Beach altogether.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Blenk5

Reviewed November 16, 2008

The Pink Palace definately made my stay in Greece worth it. The people were fun and friendly and often made the party. If you get the chance i DEFINITALEY recommend the toga party on the saturday nights. the price of the room was cheap and included breakfast AND dinner. The dinners were also filling and tasty... I miss the palace already!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 12, 2008

My friend and I spent 4 awesome days at the Pink Palace - it was amazing! there was so much to do! we would have loved to have stayed a few more days but we had already made plans for our next place where we were going.

THE STAFF:
- super friendly & happy
- all were very helpful! loved them all!!!!!
- they all speak English really well - most of the staff were not even Greek, but were from Canada or Australia or England, or they just knew English

THE HOTEL:
- it's VERY clean and well kept. The cleaning ladies were friendly, helpful and thorough. We didn't have to worry at all about safekeeping, and we lost nothing there (unlike in another place we stayed - oh, the stories we could tell!)

- the Pink Palace is sprawled out over the mountainside - and our room was conveniently located at the VERY top of the highest building!! we counted 150 steps to get from our room down to the beach, not including the many steep inclines that really give your calves a workout! during our time there, we met a really sweet guy who was on crutches and had to hop up all those steps and inclines - I don't know HOW he did it!!!!

--> sometimes, for obvious reasons, this was a HUGE pain in the butt (literally ;)), like when you forget something in your room and you have to run all the way up and back down again... but by the time you're finished there, you'll have rock-hard abs and calves to die for! :) hehe

- the top-most level is rooms and such

- the next level down is the main level. Here's where you first get dropped off - there's the main lobby/lounge/bar area, the baggage room, an internet room, and the place where you meet for the quad tours.

- the next level down the mountainside is the Palladium, where you have dinner. it's a beautiful room! a really high ceiling with pillars all around, overlooking the water and mountainside. The sun is off to the side so you don't get the best view of the sunset which is really too bad, but still it's a great dining area, very beautiful.

--> the disco's also on this level, which has foozball and pool tables as well. A pretty good disco, but I didn't go much - I preferred hanging out in the bar/lounge area at the main level (i'm not usually one for discos) they made some good drinks in their bars, they seem to know what they're doing (unlike in some places....)

- the next level down the hill is the breakfast pool house. There's a small (unheated) pool with bubbles, a v-ball / basketball court (pavement), more rooms to rent out for those who don't like to walk so far everyday :), and the breakfast area - it's all open concept, overlooking the water and the beach, with flowering trees and plants, even painted on the walls themselves (in pink).

- the last level is the beach (it's just 10 steps down from the breakfast area).... when I was there, the beach was a little rocky, and they had just taken all the rocks out and were dumping some beautifully soft sand there. so now I'm sure it's even better. At this level they have the kayaks as well.

THE FOOD:
- breakfast was a buffet of eggs to order (except omelettes), cereal, yogurt, bread, jam, butter, honey, instant coffee, tea. It was good.... a standard n.american breakfast
- dinner was good too - Greek soup to start, Greek salad, and a main course.
- Drinks are cheap! happy hour drinks are just 2.50-3 euros!
- they have standard packaged food available all the time as well (chips, chocolate bars, ice cream, cookies, etc) for purchase

ACTIVITIES:
- I highly recommend the kayaking tour - they go at a very easy pace, and I'm not exactly a kayaker by nature!! :) and we were doing very well. First we went cliff - jumping off of a 4metre high rock (ok, maybe that's not so high as it sounds, but it was good enough for me! :)) , then we went to this small island and sat outside this Greek Orthodox monastery (still in use, apparently)... we introduced ourselves and talked a bit there, before seeing some lookout points - absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!! there's also a 20 metre cliff jump for those who are over-ambitious!!!! but you have to wear proper gear for that, otherwise it's like hitting concrete!!! ouch. After the island we did some snorkeling (gear is provided) I hate snorkeling, but everyone else had a lot of fun!!!! just make sure you wear sunscreen - some ppl got pretty burned....

- the booze cruise - I don't go for this sort of thing... but apparently it's a lot of fun... they visited a cave, and went cliff jumping as well.

- the quadding tour - we didn't do the tour, but met up with some people instead and went with them. That was amazing!!!! loved it!!! I talked to a bunch of ppl who did the tour and they said it was really good, but some are faster than others, and everybody has to go the same pace.... which can be kindof boring. So if you're ambitious and have any sense of direction, I highly recommend doing your own thing (with a map)... we went atv-ing through Corfutown, which was crazy but awesome fun, and saw this really cool fortress, then we visited a beautiful beach (forget the name, but ask at the pink palace, they can tell you ) but I would have gotten lost if it hadn't been for the guys we were with. BUT IT WAS TONS OF FUN! we did the 4-wheelers again the next day and went to some great lookout points, just amazing. I didn't put up any pics of this but it's really good, I highly recommend it.

- there's lots of trails for hikers as well - unfortunately we didn't have time to do these, although I would have loved to!

- some small towns to do some shopping in.... not much to buy, really,.... but there were some really neat little shops that had some authentic Corfu creations in there, like artwork and albums made from natural corfu island stuff, and jewelry and the like,... it's really cheap, especially compared to italy and austria....

OTHER:
-this place is somewhat of a party - place .... most of the people here are young and are looking for fun
- they welcomed us to the Pink Palace with a free shot of Pink Ouzo! :) hehe we thought it was pink lemonade :)
- I'm not much of a partier usually but this place was great! partier or no, it's a fun place to be.
- the place even has its own dog! he's so cute.... he loves everybody and loves to be petted
- 90% of the ppl we met here were Canadian - it was really weird! nobody knows why...

YOU SHOULD VISIT THE PINK PALACE :)

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2008

I arrived to Korfu from Brindisi and someone from the Pink Palace was waiting outside the port. Great service. Negotiable price depending on the number of people, room's quality, number of nights, etc.
Pink Palace has a big jacuzzi, private beach, volley, plenty of activities, discotheque, relaxing music, good weather (between June and October).
It was full of people from different places of the world, willing to have fun. Everynight there was a big party with a lot of Ouzo.
I paid around18€ person / night, and we were 4 in a room, so 72€. If I have the chance I will surely repeat my trip there.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled with friends
3  Thank pablossanchezz
Reviewed February 29, 2008

Where to begin.. I visited the Pink Palace in 1998 so things might have changed. This place was packed with tourist from America, were were backpacking but hoping to get away from the normal Frat Parties.

This place caters to College Frat Borthers and Sisters, the first night was a Togo Party if this is your thing then come here. The Pink Uzu flowed like water down there, think black licourise in a drink. The beaches were nice and lots of room to play.

The property had pluming like Mexico, we had 4 guys in a room and when you have to pile your dirty toilet paper next to the toilet the smell of poop flies etc can ruin a trip quick.. I stayed for 2 days and then High Tailed it back to Amsterdam..

Go for the experience but dont expcect anything Greek!!! Well minus the togas

• Stayed: June 2004, traveled with friends
3  Thank Mike H
Reviewed August 17, 2007

The pink palace is a "vacation away from your vacation" when you are a 20-something backpacking throughout europe. When you've spent the last 2 months sleeping in hostels and boiling pasta every night for dinner, the accomodations and the included meals at the palace are a welcome change of pace. The partying here is pretty intense, but it doesn't live up to it's reputation as being the absolute sin-fest that it apparently used to be. Good food, quad rentals, kayak safari, beach, and plenty of girls equals a good time at the palace. The only bad thing is that the abondance of Canadians working here means that the DJs play Alanis Morissette and Bryan Adams about 15 times a day, but you get used to it. enjoy!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank eurotripjoey
Reviewed July 4, 2007

The Pink Palace was fab - its great for a wild week away with friends. They have a private part of the beach (the beach is gorgeous) with free sunloungers and lilos to hire. There are lots of activities to do including Kayaking, 4 wheeling round the island, booze cruise, etc. We didnt actually get to do any of those things because we always slept in so late after partying the night before.

We did manage to venture into Corfu Town which was beautiful and I would recommend a stay there for a day or two - alternatively there is a bus that goes past the Pink Palace which runs quite a few times a day there and back. Corfu Town also links you to the rest of the island so you can visit all over.

The food at PP was fine, you get a cup of soup & bread, a Greek salad and a main course (chicken, spaghetti, beef pattie, strogonoff were all some of the delights we sampled). Whilst the food is nothing special is is a huge portion and will fill you up and we had no tummy troubles (this may be because we mainly drank bottled water but when we did drink tap water we were fine).

The PP has its own nightclub and 24 hr bar which is fab, drinks are cheap, there are loads of friendly people to meet and generally you will be up till 4-5am each night if you want to be.

Our room was a private en-suite for 3 people, it was clean, there was a maid service every day, the shower was big and we had no problems with hot water, and our balcony had spectacular views (I will post photos asap).

All in all - I thoroughly recommend it - one tip - always ask for a private room which is A class - its still cheap as chips!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
#3 of 5 in Kanoni
Mediterranean Blue Resort
Aeolos Beach Resort
Mayor La Grotta Verde Grand Resort

Been to The Pink Palace? Share your experiences!