“Demise of a great location.”
Review of Mermaid - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mermaid
Cuisines: Greek
Description: The only place in the village that calles itself fish taverna.
Description: The only place in the village that calles itself fish taverna.
Reviewed May 22, 2014

I am sorry to relate that George closed Mermaid a couple of years ago. A great loss to regular visitors. The location is still there but sadly empty.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

I decided to eat dinner here twice during a four-night stay. (Since I live in southwest Germany, I take every opportunity I can to enjoy fresh fish.)

My mains were the bream and the sea bass. Both were accompanied by a divine and generous Greek salad (€6). The tomatoes were simply delicious; I can only imagine what they'd taste like in August. As for the fish: worth every penny. Bream was €15, sea bass €17. This included two sides. Yes, it is more expensive than pasta or gyros. But thanks to overfishing, fish just isn't cheap anymore. It is excellently and simply prepared here, nothing fancy. A garlic and parsley stuffing finished off with olive oil and lemon juice.

George, the proprietor, is also the fisherman, so he's happy to tell you what he caught that day/week - if you ask, he'll take you to the kitchen and show you. He's also upfront about cooking times. Mermaid does offer grilled meat, but you'll be told to expect a long wait. And in Agios Gordios, you can find plenty of other places that specialize in that stuff.

The restaurant is located on the main drag, so you can hear the waves, but you can't see them. The outside seating area is fine, but I withheld one star for the big flatscreen TV in the corner running English news. The music is a little touch and go but whatever. Overall, though, the service is good and cheerful. And you're left in peace.

A couple of people have mentioned the upselling. Well, doesn't that happen in many restaurants back home too? Just look at the menu before you go and think about what you want and don't want. If you don't want a salad, don't have a salad. No one will be offended. :-)

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We ate a tuna steak and calimari. The mains were good and we were talked into buying a salad for a starter which we didn't mind. The thing I did mind was the fact that the owner mentioned tzatsiki and bread which was brought out pretty much without our having ordered it. By the look of the posts on here it is a common practice. The bread was even a bit dry and the tzatsiki was far from the freshest we tasted. This was a pricey meal as a result. There are better options in this resort.

1  Thank HeywoodCarruthers
Reviewed August 21, 2012

they have a menu based on fish food, good but no exclusive dishes; nice personnel, typical greek restaurant, located on the main street (maybe on the beach would have bean more indicated).

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We like ;-))) - friendly owner ! - and good price for excellent fresh fish. Direct in the village center, busy touristic streetview