“Magical time in Santorini & Grand View Hotel”
Review of Grand View Hotel

Grand View Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Megalochori
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights and the moment we walked in we felt like stepping into such stunning place. The view was spactacular, the service was memorable - we received such warm welcome from Mister Thomas who carried our bags all the way through to the room. He took his time to share local gems with us and was always there to help fix the little mistakes we did i.e. lock our stuff into the safe, finished all the wines in the room.

We've been back for 2 days now and still wake up thinking of the shower and the wonderful view the room has to offer.

Will definitely be back!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank PachareeSophie

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Our trip was a planned for a birthday and to meet up with family from USA and Australia.
I chose The Grand View based on the photos and reviews found on TA.
I can corroborate every other positive review of the hotel and add more.
We were a group of 7 spread over four bedrooms. The rooms all had great views, were clean and perfect for our needs.
The view really is stunning and the sunsets from the rooms, restaurant or pool area are perfect.
We ate in the local area - once in the town square which is very picturesque and three nights in a local place not more than 5 minutes walk away. The food was fantastic.
We also had food and many drinks at the Grand View - all perfect.
The Grand View isn't in the middle of the tourist hordes that visit the island daily. It's in a quiet and peaceful location on the caldera. This suited us perfectly as we wanted a great view and peace and quiet.
Santorini is not huge so it was ideal to rent a car and go visit both Firo and Oia. These towns had their own beauty but this was detracted by the thousands of tourists clambering all around trying to find the perfect photo spot. So it was great to go and walkabout and see the towns but it was better coming back to the oasis that is the Grand View.
The staff - okay the guys at The Grand View were perfect hosts. They were friendly, chatty and accommodating. Just great personalities for their unique hotel.
They really came into their own when I needed them most.
Our departure had has on a 7am flight to Athens to catch a connecting flight to Rome. This required a 5:45am pick-up transfer to the airport. During the transfer I managed to drop my wallet in the taxi. My wallet had every credit card I own and about £300.00 in cash.
It was only on arrival in Rome that I realised I was without my wallet and I had no idea where I might have parted company with it.
I called the guys at The Grand View and they confirmed that I had dropped the wallet in the taxi. The taxi driver had called them to advise he had found my wallet and that he would drop it back to them. They explained that they could courier the wallet to any address I required.
This was all done by the team at The Grand View - the wallet arrived and everything was accounted for. Just being able to speak with them and their confidence that the wallet would get back to me was what I needed to hear.
I absolutely would have recommended The Grand View even before the incident with my wallet. Thank you for a really great holiday and all the assistance you gave.

Room Tip: Room 2 has a private terrace, rooms 15&16 (I think) were right of the caldera edge and close to...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dinobread
Reviewed October 18, 2013

When we first arrived at this adorable hotel, our jaws dropped at the exquisite view! There are only a handful of rooms and the whole property is fantastic...from our room we overlooked the pool and behind the pool was...that VIEW! The rooms were very nicely updated and decorated and had lots of space for our family of 5. The personal service was also awesome. The first day we arrived, we were given an overview of the entire island and shown how to get around. We also thorougly enjoyed the food from the chef at the little cafe/window that was pool side. We would often order our food and drinks and eat in the deck chairs beside the pool enjoying the view. The chef would also create made-to-order dishes...all so delicious! Right up until the last minute we enjoyed excellent service...on our final day we needed to check out early (before the normal breakfast hours) so it was arranged that they would have the kitchen staff open the breakfast area early to accommodate our family. The breakfast was delicous...the greek yogurt and honey was our favourite! If we ever return to Santorini (I'm crossing my fingers) we will definitely stay at the Grand View Hotel again! Thank you for making our stay on your island so unforgettable! :)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I first visited this hotel in October 2012 when we were arranging our wedding in Santorini for August 2013. We wanted to accommodate all our friends around the area and we have heard the best for Grand View. We met the owners who were lovely people and earned our trust. We made 8 bookings in total for our friend back in November 2012. All of them included a small deposit. With the new year there was a change in the management of the hotel. Although all bookings were arranged we had several instances that did not tie with the reputation of the hotel. A booking made directly from a friend was cancelled with the excuse that there was no deposit and when tried to contact him there was no answer. When I asked my friend what happened he told me that the deposit was paid in December and the hotel had no contact number for my friend. Another booking was cancelled without any notification whatsoever. Deposits were lost. What I don't understand was why the managers did not contact us. Anyway, out of the 8 total bookings, 1 was completely cancelled and 1 was amended resulting in a change of hotel mid-stay with of course a higher price There was an additional cancellation from a friend who was unable to attend and this was treated with professionalism and understanding which was highly appreciated. However, one of the guests was given a different room than the one arranged which resulted in a complaint that was treated with let's just say with excessive Greek temper. My friend was shouted at and of course cancelled his room and moved to a near by hotel. Me as the coordinator for all the hotels that we had guests tried to resolve the issue, but yet again I was shouted at. Despite the fact that the owners are lovely people, the hotel is amazing and well established, the management was not up to the task. The weird thing was that all the issues occurred with Greek customers. Out of the 5 hotels I was dealing with this was the only one that created so many issues. I would be very careful next time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank KouMpi
Argyr0, Owner at Grand View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Dear Friend,

in 2013 we had so many good comments in tripadvisor from about 60 guests and we only had 1 negative review from you. It is true we had many issues to solve with your group reservations. The bookings and prices deals were made in 2012 with the previous owners, before the renovation of the hotel and with room types that did not appear in the new 2013 pricelist. We tried to adjust the prices with the new room types of 2013 . Yes- we had some problems with your bookings as we had received credit cards without credits and had to cancel bookings and also some deposits made in 2012 were not paid to us, but the previous owner and it took us some time to clear up this little mess. At the end, as a hotel we end up ..offering rooms to your guests with about 50% discount in the High Season of August and one of your guests (the one you mentioned) went to a near by hotel got a room with private balcony and view, paid double price and forced us pay him 280 euros for the upgrade. We want all our guest to be happy and we actually paid this person in his bank account this amount. We always try to satisfy our guests and deliver what we promise.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I benefited from the tip of a local resident to lodge at the Grand View Hotel in Megalochori, Thera, a/k/a Santorini. We had rented a car and wanted accommodations on the caldera, but not within the traffic and tourist-packed towns of Oia or Imerovigli, Firostefani, or Firo. We could not have been happier with this property. Our spacious room opened to the pool and the caldera view was breathtaking, morning through night. We enjoyed the delicious and varied breakfast offerings and good coffee. The housekeeping was outstanding and the cable TV provided news when we wanted it. The owners were eager to help the guests and arranged for transportation for those who did not have their own cars or quads and desired wheels for the day or so. We found the location to be ideal, as we toured the entire island. Megalochori is close to the ancient sites (the Theran settlements at Akrotiri, a/k/a the Pompeii of the Ancient Aegean); the famous black beaches (Kamari and Perissa); and many other towns and attractions (wineries/wine tastings), including the traditional village of Megalochori, itself. This oasis hotel is unsurpassed for beautiful views, large, clean rooms, fabulous breakfasts, free Wi-Fi, and kind, accommodating owners and staff. Our fellow guests were decorous and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We thanked our Greek friends for recommending this gorgeous gem of a hotel. By the way, we found the sunset view from our Grand View room in Megalochori (see photos) to be more beautiful than the one viewed from Oia. If you prefer a hotel closer to "town," try the Blue Dolphins Hotel, in Firostefani, owned by the same people.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Full marks for every aspect of the hotel. The staff are friendly, informative, and very helpful. The pool is great. And you can't beat the view. Terrific value for your money. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

1  Thank scott b
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We have been to Santorini many times and this hotel, no, more like an informal house with guests is one of the best. The staff, just 5 or 6 of them all relaxed and helpful. The 2 women who make, and clear up breakfast and then clean the rooms were such happy and hard working people.
We treated ourselves to the honeymoon suite. After over 40 years of marriage!!! We walked into the room through the bathroom with a gihuge corner bath, passing tthe bathroom we walked into the bedroom. We had a shower and wc room too!. However we had the most wonderful balcony, which had 2 loungers, 2 more chairs and a table and a view to die for. We rarely moved from the balcony.. possibly to swim in the pool below.. or to get a sandwich. After watching the sun set from our balcony we then walked into the town for dinner. The biggest decision - which of the half a dozen restaurants do go for.

We did not have a car and possibly that was a disadvantage but we bussed to Fira a couple of times and because the weather was so good, we were very lazy.

Stay here and book the Honeymoon Suite.

Room Tip: book the Honeymoon Suite if you can - it will make your holiday!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Megalochori
2 mi away
Ira Hotel & Spa
Ira Hotel & Spa
#5 of 22 in Firostefani
Blue Dolphins Traditional Apartments

Been to Grand View Hotel? Share your experiences!