All reviews cave villa enjoying lunch outdoor kitchen lying by the pool beautiful plants and flowers traditional villa first floor private pool on arrival hot tub car rental oia and fira yogurt bakery airport bedroom privacy
Reviewed May 28, 2013

In the middle of May my son treated me to a holiday in Santorini. I had no idea what to expect, as I had never been to Greece before, but he showed me various properties on his laptop which were advertised by Santorini Villas and Mansions. To be honest, I was absolutely stunned by the photos: strange, wonderful cave houses built deep inside the rock, gracious old mansions, striking white villas decorated with giant terracotta pots of palms and aloe vera. I wondered how close to reality the photos were (as we all know, photos can be very deceiving) but we choose the striking cave house and were on our way. After David met us at Santorini airport (we hired a car from his company in Megalachori for the duration of our stay) he accompanied us to Imerovigli and took us to our cave house, Villa Ilios & Selene. Paul, the manager of Santorini Villas and Mansions joined us to show us our house - It was fabulous!

The pictures on the website didn't actually do it justice, especially the unexpectedly large size of the cave house, whose curved white walls (there isn't a straight line in sight!) were decorated by artistic pieces such as shoals of silver mackerel and beautiful brass fish and lots of comfy contemporary seating. We used the hot tub at least twice a day: it is no exaggeration to say that the hot tub is a little oasis of bliss as you look first into a powder blue, cloudless sky and then across to spectacular, uninterrupted views of the sparkling blue caldera and the little blue and white houses and churches on the slopes. Paul, the manager of Santorini Villas and Mansions couldn't do enough for us. He showed us all the best places to go and things to do, such as the winery museum where we made the most of the wine-tasting tasting session and staggered back to the car loaded down with bottles of the not-to-be missed Vinsanto (which you just cant miss as it is made from sun-dried red grapes, kept in barrels for 10 years and served cold). Mmmm!.
I think we drank at least two bottles of this at Perissa beach, where we laid under the straw umberellas until the sun went down. If that wasn't enough, because it was not yet high season, Paul offered us the chance to experience a different house halfway through our stay. We chose to stay from the Wednesday to the Saturday at the Mansion Kiara in Megalachori village. Wow!! Great choice. A heavy oak door set into the walls of a charming narrow street led us into a large courtyard complete with wooden sun loungers, a large dining table and chairs which were placed under a straw awning, and by a pool shaded by the tumbling pink blossoms of a bougainvillea tree and a tree covered in baby figs. It was truly glorious to enjoy the island by day (everything is easy to get to by car, including beaches, shops, restaurants, the historical excavations at Akrotiri, the blue waters of the Agean, the local bakeries, the scuba diving (the island is only about 20 miles from end to end) and then to come back in the evening to such a lovely house where we lit the candles and the oriental lamps. We want to thank Paul again for his kindness, his professionalism, and his obvious desire to make sure we had a wonderful time. I will never forget that holiday, and the friendliness of the people of Santorini. I will definitely go back, and when I do I will definitely stay at one of the houses offered by Santorini Villas and Mansions.
I was very sad to come home: in fact I had to be almost dragged onto the plane! Thank you again Paul, and Santorini Villas and mansions for one of the best holidays of my life. We really did have seven days of heaven.
Elaine Crawley, Manchester

Room tip: A house with a sea view is wonderful. But so are all the houses offered by Santorini Villas and Mansions! Each one has its own unique charm.
Date of stay: May 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Very nice refurbishment of a traditional house. The decoration inside the house has been done to the highest standards but maintaining the island feeling. Understated luxury I would say!
We spend the first few days just laying by the pool and wondering around the Megalochori, it was the paradise!
We were two couples sharing the house but there was space for a third couple. I would say it is also a very comfortable house for families
We will definitely come back and after showing the pictures so some friends we will need two houses this time!

Room tip: The have different villas, all very nice! I loved Kiara!
Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Our group of six stayed at Mansion Kyani for 4 nights, 5 days in November 2012. The villa is located in the quaint village of Megalochori, which is does not suffer from tourist crowds, but is still only a 15 minute drive to most parts of Santorini.

We were received at the airport as promised, and also had a rental car included the in the package (as we were 6, we also rented an additional car). The villa was very comfortable, and included plenty of outdoor space - courtyard, veranda and an infinity pool - to enjoy the sunshine. Inside, there are 2 bedrooms (en-suite) and a kitchenette on the ground floor, and a third bedroom (also en-suite) and lounge on the first floor. The villa has plenty of rustic charm, but perhaps could do with improved furnishing, without compromising on character. The kitchenette has basic, but sufficient cutlery and appliances (small fridge, cooking range, toaster, kettle but no microwave). Bathrooms and toilets could have been cleaner, especially as there was a daily cleaning service.

The villa had excellent views of the Aegean Sea from the upper level, and is very peaceful (except for the church bells from the village square). Being off-season, Megalochori was quiet. There is a mini-market and bakery within walking distance for basics, and supermarkets within a 15 minute drive.

Villa Kyani is a great option for a family or group of friends, who do not want to be in the middle of the maddening crowds, especially in summer. With a car (definitely needed in my view), you can get anywhere on the island in a short drive.

Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank vikramvasu
Reviewed September 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Villa Io and Mansion 1878 for our wedding with 9 friends. The Mansion and the Villa Io are absolute stunning places, the colours of the old houses and the antique design of the interior are simply perfect.

I got dressed up on our wedding day at the Mansion 1878, while my wife got ready at the Villa Io. It was great to prepare for our ceremony in such a wonderful environment with our friends around! My wife and I as well as 5 friends stayed at the Mansion and four other friends stayed at the Villa Io. Their sizes were perfect for this number. The villas were very clean and well maintained - inside and outside. The pool areas were great and relaxing. At the Mansion, there was a big table outside so that we were able to have breakfast each morning in the sun! The kitchens were well equipped, and each day, the staff came in order to clean the pool and the dishes (there is no dishwasher).

The village Megalochori is very nice and idyllic! There are almost no tourists which is difficult to find on Santorini. The main square of the village is near (only a 2 minute walk by foot) and there is a great restaurant (Taverne Raki) with delicious Greek food! We had our wedding dinner there. For breakfast, there is a bakery nearby.

The communication with Sharron, the manager of the villas, was great! We received answers to all our questions and we even skyped a couple of times. Also Raphaela was also a great help! And thanks to the whole Raki team for everything! The Mansion and the Villa Io, thus, were the perfect place to stay! Highly recommendable!

Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
3  Thank Patti_Chrissi
Reviewed May 10, 2012

We had a fantastic break at Stone Villa in Maegalochori and would recommend it highly to anyone wanting to stay in a quieter spot on the island, away from the hordes of the main towns. Although lacking in view, the stone villa was incredibly quiet, private and peaceful. The pool and outdoor space is perfect for catching the sun in private, and the cool cave-like rooms a welcome break from the heat. The facilities were of a very high standard and everything had been thought of. The daily cleaning service made it similar to that of staying in a hotel, and the manager (Sharron) made us feel very welcome and was available to help out whenever we needed it. She even gave a birthday bottle of wine! We will definitely be going back to sample more of their amazing properties.

Date of stay: May 2012