“A poor example of hospitality!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 21 Restaurants in Wenduine
Cuisines: Belgian, European
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: This restaurant is along the seafront near to the beach huts, and has indoor and outdoor seating
Devon
“A poor example of hospitality!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

After attending a local beer festival in Wenduine, we decided to find somewhere in the town to eat. We walked along the vast seafront and decided to try Rotonde restaurant.

Everything started well, until my partner received his moules frites. The mussels were over cooked and had shrunk to next to nothing. When he took them to the counter to complain, the young boy behind the bar invited him to talk to the chef in the kitchen.

The chef took exception to my partners complaint in an extreme fashion. In the UK, you would probably expect an apology and to be offered a replacement dish. Oh no! He verbally abused my partner and tried to run after him with a kitchen knife!!

The manageress came outside and demanded payment up front for our food! Two of us were happy with our meals, but she said that she didn't like us and so wanted HER money!

This made the two of us who were happy with our meals feel very uncomfortable. She agreed to wait until we'd finished our meals - and proceeded to go to the next area to openly complain about us to other customers!

As soon as we had put our forks down, she appeared and demanded her money. Once she had it, she ordered us off her property - claiming that she had never had a complaint about mussels in the 20 years she had run the restaurant!

I would say, if you are British - AVOID this restaurant at all costs! And if you go there, woe betide you if you dare to complain if the food is not up to standards! I think the manageress needs to return to hospitality school (if she ever attended) and brush up on the art of customer service!

What made it worse was the fact that the chef told my partner that the bloody English don't know how to cook mussels properly - despite the fact that my partner used to be a chef himself and cooks them regularly for me at home!

• Visited June 2012