“Great experience”

Ranked #1 of 2 Bruff B&B and Inns
Vienna, Austria
“Great experience”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Stayed at this B&B for one night only on a whim after not planning our trip. It was a great find and we were sad we couldn't stay longer. Miriam is a fantastic host who made everything easy. She gave us great tips on where to go and our room was wonderful. I'd recommend it to anyone travelling through this part of the country.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
brufflady, Owner at The Old Bank Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our home.

The best journeys in life can take you off the beaten track and I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and our home so much.

I do hope our paths will cross again,

Fond farwells

Miriam & Family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Winter Park, Florida
Reviewed September 19, 2013

My friend and I recently stayed at this B&B while traveling from Dublin to Dingle. We were so glad we did. Miriam, our hostess, was entertaining, hospitable, fun and interesting. We felt right at home. My room was lovely, clean and comfortable. Tea and coffee was served by the coal fire while Miriam regaled us with interesting stories that made our visit to Ireland rich. The town where the B&B is located is close to Limerick City and about an hours drive to major sites. There is a wonderful restaurant called the Old Bake House close and several pubs. It is a good central location. I would give this B&B 4 stars but 6 stars for the rich Irish experience we received.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our home.

Im delighted you enjoyed your stay and our chat by the fire, I will pass on your great review to Maurice in the Old Bake House.

till we meet again, Fond farwells

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Staying at the Old Bank Bed and Breakfast was a real treat! Although temperatures were sweltering for Ireland standards, we were provided complementary ice water upon arrival. The two adjoining rooms we recieved for our family of two parents and two teens was more than satisfactory, both being impeccably decorated and furnished. Breakfast in the morning was the best I had during my two months of travels. My only wish is that we had stayed longer, and perhpas visited in a colder month, when we could have appreciated the fireplace and winter comforts.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
brufflady, Owner at The Old Bank Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you so much for such a lovely review

You are my 100 tripadvisor review and Im delighted to have reached this amount of reviews. As a Irish person who only need on average 6.5 days of good weather, i too hope we dont get to experiences such a heat wave as we did this summer.

Should you visit our home and Town a again I'm preety sure that we will have the fires lit

Thank you again for being my 100 review

Miriam & family
Porter, Indiana
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We arrived in the evening and like the other reviewers noted, we found Miriam was warm, welcoming and a wealth of information. We settled down by the library/reception room fire for a pipping hot cup of tea and delightful conversation with John and Francis, two farmers down from the North area for a cattle sale on Monday. At Miriam's suggestion, before starting off on our way to Lough Gur and the Rock of Cashel we went to view the sales at the cattle barns in the next town over (Killmallock). This was a great experience that not many visitors would find. Miriam says that on Bank Holiday Mondays the sales bring in many vendors of local produce and products that the area residents all enjoy. Read PocketClam's review of the breakfast as it is spot on!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
brufflady, Owner at The Old Bank Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
I love the review name.... :)

thank you again for taking the time to review my home. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I pride my self in offering as many trip ideas as possible to my guest so that they can get the most from there time with us. If you never have being to a live stock mart and enjoy foods from local procedures then any sunday of a bank holiday, the old bank is the place to stay.

Denver, CO
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed 3 days/nights at the Old Bank and had a great time there. The room was fabulous (Mariam gave us a free upgrade) and the breakfasts were exceptionally good. They also had gluten free bread and cereal for the wife and they had Soya (Soy) milk (make sure to request this ahead of time). The decor in the sitting room is beautiful and the fireplace is a welcome site on a cool night.

We had a good time in Bruff and the surrounding area, especially visiting Lough Gor and other archeological sites (the Stone Circle) in the area. Mariam and her husband were especially kind to help us with the transportation when possible and went the extra mile for us several times.

The store next door (EuroSpar) was a good source of snacks for gluten free and soya diets and we were able to make our own lunches to take with us for our daily excursions. We also liked Glynn's Fish and Chips place just down the street (on the same side), it had the best onion rings and cheeseburger I've ever had. Nothing like Irish beef!

We had a great time at the Old Bank and really appreciate all the extra fine service Mariam provided us.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Julio & Star for taking the time to review our home

We offer a very large selection of gluten free foods as my daughter too is a coeliac. I only need advance notice if someone is lactose intolerant also as I like to provide as much alternatives as possible as I appreciate how strict these diets can be.

Its with regret that I didint get to say good bye, as my daughter was admitted to hospital for 2 days, but my husband assured me that he looked after you both.

I hope that someday we will meet again,

Miriam & family
Rhode Island
Reviewed September 9, 2013

A Hidden Gem in Bruff

On a recent trip across Ireland, my wife, son and I had the pleasure of staying at The Old Bank B&B in Bruff. This B&B was a truly unique stay, different than any of the other B&B’s we had spent time in over the course of our weeks’ vacation. The converted bank has been perfectly remodeled into a beautiful and charming Inn. Each room has its own unique qualities and all seemed very spacious. High ceilings, large Jacuzzi tubs, large rooms and windows. The entire Inn was beautifully decorated and the owner, Miriam, was nothing but a fantastic hostess during our stay.

We had arrived in town about an hour early, check-in is not until 6pm, but Miriam was nothing but accommodating. We knew that we were a bit early and were happy to head out on the town for a bit, but Miriam took the time to get us checked in and to our room. We had the great pleasure of meeting a few of her children, most notably a fine young man named Patrick. Patrick is 6 years old and a wonderful young boy, who after we settle to our room he had most politely come up to see if our son would like to play in the back yard with him. The two had a great time while my wife and I got things together and washed up for dinner.

Miriam is a wealth of knowledge about the town and suggestions for travel across Ireland. She certainly has the gift of gab and it was a great deal of fun to talk with her about the town, the Inn, Ireland in general and just life in general. You truly are missing out if you don’t take the time to have a little conversation with her. It was also great to have her show us the Inn and describe how her and her husband renovated and converted it into the wonderful Inn it is today. You can also see pictures showing how it looked prior to the renovations, which gives some perspective to the tremendous work that has been done.

BREAKFAST
I have to say that the breakfast at The Old Bank had to have been the best we had all trip. Perfectly done Full Irish Breakfast, with amazing rashers and sausage from her husband’s butcher shop. Absolutely the best we had all week!! Miriam is a tornado of a woman, flying around to service all, handling all questions and requests and all with a smile.

PARKING
We did find that on street parking in Bruff is not difficult to come by, but at The Old Bank there is private off street parking in the back of the Inn. There is an ally/tunnel next to the building to access. Be careful as it is very narrow, but it is not much different than many of the country roads in Ireland :)

AROUND TOWN
Bruff is a great little town of only around 700 families. Take the time to walk around and talk with the locals. We met several very interesting people and learned so much about the town and its history. There is a beautiful church at the top of the street and to the other end another near the small pond. There are a few options for food, a couple of pubs (of course); Chinese across the street from the Inn, Fish and Chips Take Away and a more fine dining experience just up the road at The Bakehouse. But the place to stop for a pint and some good conversation is Howards. There you will find Mary, whose family has owned and run this pub for 60 years. It is very small, can’t be larger than 10’x12’ when you first walk in, with a slightly larger seating area in the back. The main bar area can seat maybe three at the bar with a few smaller seats around. Not sure anyone other than Mary can actually fit behind the bar, it is that small. We spent some time here just for a good pint and conversation and we met several locals who were so very friendly and fun to talk with. Definitely stop in if you have a chance.

We cannot wait to return and spend a few extra days at The Old Bank.

Room Tip: Any room at the front of the B&B. This will give a great view of the street in this wonderful li...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank PocketClam
Wow is all I can Say!

I had to read it twice - I dont believe anyone has ever taken the trouble to give such a comperhensive view of my home or town and Im amazed and so thankful that you did.

Patirck my son is delighted that his on the computure and I really do hope I get to welcome you all to our home again

Our fondest Wishes

Bathurst, Australia
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My friend and I made a last minute booking at the Old Bank in Bruff out of desperation - we could not find a twin room anywhere in the south of Ireland it seemed. What a happy turn of events for us - Bruff (which we'd never heard) of was friendly and pretty, and as it turned out, conveniently located not far from Limerick. Miriam is a ball of energy, and so very lovely. There was a mix up with our booking.com booking where our request for a twin room didn't get through. Even though Miriam was fully booked (and we arrived before the check in time) she managed to not only get us into a room early, but a twin one at that (the room had a double and single bed - both very comfortable). The room was beautifully appointed and the ensuite had a jacuzzi bath (which would have been nice to relax in, had we had more time). We parked our hire car on the street across the road from the B&B. After we'd checked in Miriam gave us the low down on where to eat and drink in town - advice that saw us spend an excellent evening with the very friendly locals. In the morning Miriam served a fantastic breakfast, with meat products prepared by her husband, a butcher. It was delicious. Wi-fi is available in the guest lounge (where there was a lovely roaring fire and beautiful leather lounges) and there is also a PC with an Internet connection upstairs for guest use. I would not hesitate to recommend this B&B to anyone - Miriam's hard work in running the place shows. If I ever have the good fortune to be in that part of the world again, I would book at the Old Bank (directly, not using a third party - just to be sure!) for a couple of nights, using Bruff as my base to explore Ireland's south west.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you Girls for taking the time to write such a lovely review

You are correct in saying book our home on www.theoldbank.ie directly when staying 2 or more nights in order to recieve discounts as we do not give discount package to third party sites as the commission is so high on each booking recieved.

Im delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and it was a delighted to welcome you to our home

Hopefully the opportunity presents it self again for you to stay with us and till then fond farwells

Miriam & Family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bruff
Fitzgerald's Woodlands House Hotel
#5 of 20 in Limerick
The Pier Hotel, Limerick
The Pier Hotel, Limerick
#15 of 20 in Limerick

Been to The Old Bank Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!