“Avoid at all costs”
Review of George's Restaurant - CLOSED

George's Restaurant
Cuisines: Greek
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Well I do agree with the 2 bad reviews. We do not like chips and always try and eat good quality food, either at home or abroad. George's in Koukounaries really had us fooled, the setting is to died for, perfect in fact, the food is not worth the money. Being asked to pay for your food upfront should have warned us, but no we carried on. I had a starter no main course because I did not fancy anything on the menu, my husband had a main course and a glass of wine, the main course was no bigger than my starter. To say the food was awful is in praise of it, it was simple disgusting.
If only I had read the reviews first, our advise is do not get drawn in.

2  Thank Ann B
There are newer reviews for George's Restaurant

Reviewed September 19, 2013

we went to dine at this place with some friends, we were met before we sat down with a menu .we were then told we couldn't have food that night but we could order for two days hence but we had to pay up front, and if we didn't want it we would loose our money . Funny, this place was empty. we never got to eat here .

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Having read the other reviews i'm amazed at how differently people rate restaurants. Georges is in a beautiful setting, the lady who runs the restaurant is not over the top welcoming but she is courteous and polite. The food is stylishly presented and of excellent quality. If you like greasy chips with everything food, then yes, avoid Georges!

If on the other hand you like pretty, intimate settings, i.e. tables set out under vines strung with lanterns, quiet unobtrusive service and freshly and imaginatively prepared food then you will love Georges Restaurant.

4  Thank frankitBath
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Have to agree with the other reviews - wish we had read them before going to Koukounaries! We were drawn in by the attractive garden setting, but alarm bells started ringing when we saw we had to pay for the meal before receiving it. We thought about leaving, but then when we saw the food we wished that we had trusted our instincts. I've never paid so much for such basic, tasteless food in my life. Truly shocking. We left without leaving a tip, which is unusual for us, but there was no way either the food or the service was worth what we'd already paid. Never again.

2  Thank loradora80
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Having passed this restaurant a few times on the way to the beach, we were tempted to try it. Tucked away up a driveway, it looked interesting and upon arrival we found a little terraced garden area with about 6 tables - cosy, intimate and looking promising.
The first problem, however, was the lady who bought us the menus -smart and presentable, but a little cold, officious and unsmiling. She made a point of saying we must read the first page of the menu (a note pinned to the front also said the same) - basically this said you must pay for the meal when you order. Very unusual, but we decided to proceed.
The next issue was the wine "offer" - buy a bottle of wine and they will give you a litre of house wine free! However, as the house wine was retsina which we do not like, we declined and just had a bottle - quite a nice wine, but way overpriced.
The menu was limited and again way overpriced - the most expensive we had come across in Koukounaries. However, we thought it must be good and continued. In the meantime, another couple had sat down, studied the menu, received the 'cool' service and, not prepared to pay up front, walked out - how I wish we had done the same!
We had a simple starter of bread and garlic dip - very nice bread, but a fairly bland dip - covered with 'herbs from the garden' - bits of twig you had to keep spitting out! The main courses were just unbelievable. My wife had a pork dish, in a sauce with pitta bread. She said the pork tasted very old and stale and, as well as the sauce, was practically cold and had been served on top of the pitta bread which was just a soggy mess - again covered in little bits of twig. The whole thing was incredibily salty and she literally ate about 3-4 mouthfulls and had to stop. I had a mushroom and cheese pasta (twice the price of anywhere else) - the mushrooms were very hard and practically inedible, there was no cheese and the sauce, again, was so incredibly salty it was unbelievable. A few mouthfuls and I gave up in disgust.
In effect, we ended up paying 55 euros for what was really a bottle of wine and a garlic dip. Having eaten out in countless places across the world (some very dubious ones!), this was the worst meal we have ever had, Anywhere. Ever! We now know why they ask for payment in advance!
In all of my reviews I have never given a restaurant such a low score, but I would honestly have to say this is one that should be avoided at all costs. Unbelievably bad.

7  Thank Eady