“The best so far”
Review of Magda Apartments

Magda Apartments
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We've just got back from Skiathos, where we stayed at Magda in Koukounaries. This is the cleanest, friendliness place we've stayed in on Skiathos, and that's saying a lot, because none of the others we've ever stayed in have been below happily acceptable. We chose Koukounaries as we like Mandraki Elias beach, and Magda wasn't a specific choice, but I will certainly chose it again. It is quite small, there is a lovely pool, the facilities are always clean, any faults are fixed straight away, and it is a short walk to the bars, shops and tavernas. The busy beaches are about 10 - 15 min walk, and the quiet ones about 20 mins through the pine forest on an easy to follow dirt track which has areas of soft sand which can make walking awkward but not impossible. I really would struggle for something negative to say about Magda, if I was being super critical, I would like to see free air conditioning, because it gets very little breeze in it's location, and like anywhere else in any of the Greek Islands the air conditioning isn't in my opinion particularly cheap, but we lived through the hot nights to survive and experience another fantastic holiday on Skiathos, and for fear of repeating myself Magda will be a first choice for us.....Oh just remembered this is the first apartment in Skiathos that we could have actually self catered, it had a proper cooker, a proper kettle, a toaster, and a well stocked cupboard of dishes, glasses, utensils. Beds are like any other firm, the extra bed otherwise known as a pull out sofa creaks, and the apartments whilst quite large, are a bit of a stange design shape....all of that is like any other Greek apartment, the owners and staff are what make the difference, and I can't fault them....I think the owners son's name is Kosta and we would just like to say Hi because we said we would....I promised I'd do you a review hope you like it?

Room Tip: I was told that the studios apartments near the pool are the best, but I believe they are only for 2...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank total-tan-seeker
Konstantinos G, Owner at Magda Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Hi from sunny Greece!
Thanks very much for your feedback and the nice comments - much appreciate it!
Really glad you enjoyed yourselves...
My apologies for the late reply, I have been rather busy!
Have a good winter and hope to see again in the near future,
Costis - owner's son

Reviewed July 9, 2012

My partner and I went for one week in skiathos. Koukounaries is the beach end of the island which is quieter of an evening. However there is a shuttle service for 2 euro each way which will take you into skiathos town ( about 15mins).

The Mazda apartments are up a beaten track amongst a pine forest. We received a warm welcome from an elderly family member who was very friendly. Accommodation is basic but clean. The pool and surrounding areas are spotless. The pool is set on its own without a pool bar etc which makes it very peaceful. The owners son lived in the apartment next to ours and he was super friendly and helpful with tips and advice.

The island is beautiful with plenty of beaches to try. You can walk through the forest at the back of the apartment which takes you to some very private beaches.

We went on a boat trip to skopelos and allonissoss, which I would highly recommend as they are also great islands to explore.

We sorted a hire car through our rep (who was great) and explored the whole island. Well worth it but the roads are a little scary :-)

We also took a trip to the dog shelter and walked some of the dogs there. If you are a dog lover it is a must even though you will probably want to bring one home. All donations help them to keep up the good work

I would strongly recommend taking a torch as the path up to the apartments is quite dark at night.

Try the windmill restaurant in the town for amazing views over the town and harbour. It is about 100 steps up though so be warned (well worth it though)

Also go down to the airport in the day and watch a plane come in/out a scary but fun experience as the runway is very short :-) it literally blew my sunglasses off

Great island which I will most definitely be back to. Great family runs apartments.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank I_heart_travel_212
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Stayed here for one week from 26/6/12 until 4/7/12. Such a peaceful tranquil place. Lovely pool with lots of sunbeds. Very tidy and well kept grounds and apartments. We stayed in the Apartment 1 which was very spacious. Well stocked kitchenette with everything you need. Towels changed regularly and beds made every day apart from Sunday. Pretty designs made with my nightclothes too ;))

Only problem was that it was sooo hot and difficult to get the air to circulate in the evening and during the night. We did not take the air con because it was quite expensive. Unfortunately, apartment 1 gets the sun mid afternoon and until the sun goes down and it was incredibly hot. Too hot to sit on the lovely veranda. That's not a criticism of the place though. It was so relaxing and peaceful. Great place to chill but a little too quiet for us. I do think installing a bar and/or a restaurant will spoil it though. It is perfect as it is but just a little too quiet for us. Having said that, I would definitely go back.

Lovely walk from the apartments over the back to Mandraki beach and you don't really need a torch as everyone says if you come up the back entrance by the pool. It is all very well lit up.

Lovely beach at Koukounaries and great restaurants in the resort itself. Agustera Bar is good for the evening entertainment and they have free WiFi. Dino, Efi and I think it was either Lesley or Debbie were fantastic hosts.

Can recommend the restaurant right next to Agustera Bar on the right up the very well lit path (can't remember the name right now) and the Strophillia just down the road. Also the Big Bad Wolf up near the Mandraki hotel.

I absolutely loved Skiathos and Koukounaries. My first time in Skiathos but definitely not my last and, we had an earthquake and Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell sat directly behind me at En Plo restaurant in Skiathos Town. See my separate review on that restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank linc10
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We have just returned from the Magda- stayed for 2 weeks in a studio. I agree with all that the previous poster said. The studios are small- ours no 2, looked over the back of the property into woodland. We had a nice big area outside to sit which was pleasant. We were next to the owners place and although his english was limited and at first he seemed a bit unfriendly he soon warmed to us as we greeted him each day. By the end of the holiday he was bringing us apricots, lemons, plums etc from his well kept gardens.
We had to pay for air con as the room was stifling and although a but costly at 40 euros a week it was worth it to us as it was exceptionally hot these last 2 weeks. The kitchen equipment is fine but we only had breakfast in studio and made lunch occasionally. The maid service is excellent every day except Sunday and towels and linen changed few times a week. The pool area was nice and was never too busy. The owners dog came round to us every morning for her biscuit and she was lovely and also very canny as she tried coming to each of us when the other was not around pretending she had not had her daily biscuit so she sometimes had two!
We will go back to Skiathos for sure but although the Magda was very good I think we would prefer somewhere with a pool bar as it was poerhaps too quiet for us and being up a bit of a dusty track meant our feet were always dirty and rendered shoes with heels a bit useless.
We had a great time here though and would recommend the Magda for anyone wanting, peace, solitude and basic but clean accommodation.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank cazleeds
Reviewed June 24, 2012

On arriving at Magda, you walk up a sandy track up the hillside from the main road. The complex is set back position on the edge of woodland and olive groves is ideal for those who like walking and want a quiet place that is a good choice for couples who like a quiet holiday and can't afford an isolated villa! As is typical of Greece, the rooms are basic, small and fairly clean. We stayed in a studio which are smaller than the apartments but are on one level like bungalows, so there is no noise from above. The air conditioning in the studios is substantially cheaper than in the apartments.

Other people rated their experience more highly than I did - I guess because the it is a pretty place - the pool is very well looked after by the owners/managers who speak little English but are very friendly and take great care of the grounds. I rated this as average - if Trip advisor's scale was Terrible, Poor, Average, GOOD, Excellent - I would have rated it Good - but for some reason the scale says Terrible, Poor, Average, VERY GOOD, Excellent. I could not say this was very good since a traveler might expect a little more in terms of the rooms in particular.

The maintenance of the grounds is a bit intrusive sometimes as the lawnmower, pool cleaning and hedge cutting seemed to be happening when you wanted to just relax in the mornings. I was also concerned about the development next door which seemed to be growing in size and the noise from the music was unbelievably loud on two occasions early in the morning.

When we stayed there was one family with a child. While their was a little pool, the child had no other children to play with and I would generally say that this place is much better for couples than people with children. It is quite a walk from anywhere that children might find fun - unless your children love walking in woods and dont mind a trek to the beach then it might be better to stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Studios are smaller than the apartments but are on one level (like bungalows) and good for couples...
4  Thank yorkshirehorserider
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Perfect Greece location, if you know Greece you know everywhere is pretty basic and this is true to form,we had a full clean kitchen, spotless toilet and shower room, cool clean bedroom, and a cool patio and a friendly dog (the owners) who likes biscuits and bottled water.
If you are new to Skiathos this is a perfect place to start. Family, couple and friends friendly.
Walking distance to beaches, bars and bus stop.
You will however need a tourch.

4  Thank littlegreenfairy
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We stayed in a one bedroom apt at the Magda. It was very clean and extremely well equipped. We have never stayed in a Greek apt that has so much in the kitchen. Kettle, toaster, small oven, lots of crockery, pans and utensils. Even a tea towel and an oven glove! The towels were changed regularly as was the bedding and beds made every day even though 'i had made them.

The gardens were lovely, gorgeous roses and gazanias, well looked after and immaculate. There was meadow land with wild flowers and trees.

There is a main gate and a gate past the swimming pool which leads to the main road or to the woods. You can walk through the forest to other smaller beaches. We walked a lot and loved the scenery.

You do need a torch for returning home at night as one of the paths is sandy and not very even. The location is perfect. Set back from the main road up a track surrounded by trees. It is a perfect place for peace and tranquility. The pool has no bar which is great, no noise, nor music. Plenty of sun beds for people who want to just relax by the pool all day. For us there were too many places to explore to do that!

As the complex is small it is peaceful and friendly. The owners are pleasant, but not intrusive and workj very hard.

There are tavernas and a couple of bars on the main road and 2 supermarkets within easy walking distance. Koukounaries does not have a resort centre like a village. It is just a main road with the tavernas and hotels scattered along it and a few places to stay in the tracks behind the main road.

Magda was a lovely place to stay. Koukounaries has a fantastic beach which was pleasant to walk to, along the main road, then past the lagoon and through some woods. if you don't fancy the walk, then the bus stop is not far from Magda.

Thank you for a wonderful stay at your very clean apartment. We were in no 1 which was up some stairs and totally private. So relaxing and the pillows were good quality soft ones. In fact everythng provided in the apt was good quality. Impressed.

4  Thank prettypeacock
Also consider these accommodations in or near Koukounaries
Mandraki Village Boutique Hotel
0 mi away
Strophilia Apartments
Strophilia Apartments
#10 of 12 in Koukounaries

Been to Magda Apartments? Share your experiences!