“The Perfect a Break”

Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Kontokali
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We booked this hotel fairly last minute and were definitely not disappointed. I had written to the hotel prior to arrival to ask if they would be able to provide us with a quiet room. The last 18 months had been quite difficult for my husband and myself and we really just needed to be able to just totally relax. From the moment that we arrived at the hotel, the service was excellent. We were helped to our room with our bags and we were totally surprised at having been upgraded to a junior suite which included our own pool. We were totally shocked and absolutely thrilled at this and it made the holiday even more special. It made it so much easier for us to be near facilities whilst being able to enjoy the sunshine and the view.

We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis and I have to say that the breakfast was a feast to behold. Anything and everything was provided, there was something for everyone no matter which country you originated from. We had one evening meal in the hotel and again the food was outstanding. We have been to Greece many times and enjoy trying all the different tavernas. There are a few immediately in Kontokali such as Harry's and Zorbas'. Also the marina at Gouvia has a few nice taverna's too and you can watch the sun going down whilst being in awe of the beautiful boats and yachts moored there, all of which are a short walk away. If you prefer to venture further afield to Corfu you can do so either by taxi (17 Euros) which the hotel can arrange for you or catch the blue number 7 bus at the bottom of the lane across the busy main road (2 Euros), tickets can be purchased from the mini market at the bottom of the lane.

The hotel offers spa treatments and we took advantage of a special offer whilst there, also very good. The facilities are excellent with everything you need such as a gym, indoor pool, saunas, steam room all of which were excellent. There is also a tennis court. Boats can be hired and plenty other water sports on offer.

Plenty of sunbeds on the beach and also a beach drinks service.

The hotel is exceptionally clean and the service is fantastic.

A huge thank you to all the staff for providing us with an exceptional experience of Corfu.

Room Tip: We were given room 830 which is a junior suite with a pool and a sea view, definitely worth booking...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maggie120_12
Alex M, General Manager at Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2014

“Dear Maggie120_12,

Kalimera!!

Thank you for your wonderful review.

We are delighted to hear you had a lovely time with us and it was a pleasure to have looked after you. We are also delighted that you enjoyed the J. Suite.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa for some more pampering and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance at any time.”

Reviewed July 11, 2014

I had a fabulous unforgettable holiday with my husband.

We spent 7 nights at the end of June beginning of July in this hotel. We have visited the island in 1999 on our honeymoon. Had a very bad accommodation, bad travel to the island that time. So my husband decided to go back for our second honeymoon, but this time we have choosen a luxury hotel, I spent a month with checking the reviews here on Tripadvisor and all over the internet. I must say that we couldn’t make a better decision.

At Neckermann my husband told that this travel is a kind of second honeymoon, so the travel agency noted and we have choosen a sea view room. When we were helped with our luggages and the door was opened I couldn’t get breath, I saw the view I was dreaming about since January when we made the reservation. We were treated as a couple really on honeymoon – anyway we were – and got a beautiful bouquet of roses, fruit, champagne, nice cold water waiting for us in the room and on the top of everything rose-leaves on the bed. I never felt like this before. Returning to our room after the 1st dinner we had another surprise settled on a tray: yoghurt, honey and wallnut.

The room is spacious, clean, regulary cleaned, the coffee and tea is refilled every day, the bed-linen is changed every day. The staff is very polite, greets you as if you were the only important person in that huge hotel.

We reserved the room with breakfast, which was perfect. So wide of selection, I bet that you can’t find even one person who is not satisfied with the food there.

I really appreciated the silence, the peace which surrounds the hotel. If anybody wants a hot life pop into a car or taxi and go to Corfu town which is really near and beautiful.

The beach is clean, well kept. No sea weeds. The sunbeds and sunshades are uncountable. If you like the traditional beach you can choose to stay there (it has 2) but if you prefer the sundeck with more peace then go there and relax. Just enjoy the nice breeze, the sight of the boats in the bay, the nice view on Corfu town or the funny sight of the water games and sports in front. And if you turn your head to left there you find the mountain of Kerkyra, with the highest point of the island: Pantokrator, which is a breathtaking background for the busy bay. There’s a nice, clean, warm pool as well. We had lunch several times at the hotel and it was OK.

We stayed without our daughters but as a Mum I checked the place how it looks for a family. I must say that the Hotel really cares about children with facilities and programs. I really liked the highchair with wheels which makes your life much easier at meal time when you have a baby or a toddler, you can easily go around and choose your food while you have your baby in safe with you.

I have obvioulsy read the complaints about wifi, old bathroom equipment etc. but if you decide to have a perfect holiday then don’t bother yourself with little things. Believe me, the perfectness depends on you as well.

I had no intention at all to pack our bags when the time has come, it was really hard to leave the Eden. We definitely want go back with our daughters.

Hereby I would like to say thank you for the gorgeous, relaxing holiday. I truly appreciate your efforts to make this place a dreamland.

Room Tip: Go for the seaview rooms! The sunrise is beautiful, it worth to wake up early!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Noemi B

“Dear Noemi B,

Kalimera!!

Thank you for choosing to spend your holidays at KONTOKALI BAY RESORT AND SPA and for your kind words posted on Tripadvisor site.

I am happy to see that we managed to surprise you and what a perfect way is this to celebrate your special occasion.

We pride ourselves on the service, facilities and of course the small touches we offer to our guests and we are very happy that we made this holiday a special one for you.

With kind regards,

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Originally we had booked a bungalow with seaview on the first floor. On arrival we got a free upgrade to a junior suite! What a huge surprise. We now had our own private pool. We enjoyed our stay in this wonderfull hotel very, very much.We enjoyed as well the beach, the infinity pool and the delicious breakfast.
We were really thankfull for the extremly friendly staff of the hotel!

The bustrip to the nearby village of Corfu city took us only 15 min. and the fare was just €2.-
We are looking forward to visit Corfu and the Kontokaly bay Hotel again next year.

Room Tip: Bungalows in the first floor or the junior suites are more quiet!
2  Thank Bettina B
Alex M, General Manager at Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

“Dear Bettina B,

Kalimera!!

Thank you for posting your comments on TripAdvisor. We were happy to read that you enjoyed your holiday with us and delighted that we manage to surprise you with the upgrade.

Nice of you to write about the various services and facilities we offer within our resort, but most important about our hard working personnel. Your positive comments will only motivate us to do even better.

Once again, allow us to express our appreciation for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to our resort on your next Holiday to Corfu.”

With kid regards,

A. Margonis

Reviewed July 7, 2014

We have recently returned from another outstanding holiday at the Kontokali Bay Hotel. Unfortunately we had endured a considerable amount of stress during the last few months and were in dire need of peace and pampering. We chose the Kontokali Bay Hotel with this in mind and were certainly not disappointed. The hotel exceeded all expectations.

The guest is at the heart of Kontokali Bay Hotel and all the staff work exceedingly hard to ensure that the heart is happy and well cared for. As soon as you enter the reception area the ambience is evident. The reception staff greeted us with a warm welcome;the smiling,friendly porter,Spiros,escorted us to our magnificent sea facing room. The hotel was spotlessly clean and well maintained. Every member of staff took pride in their work. They were all,without exception,pleasant,friendly,polite and efficient. Nothing was too much trouble.

The Manager, Alex Margonis ,was always on hand,listening to guests and ensuring that everything ran smoothly. He leads an extremely well informed,efficient management team who work well together,continuously observant,monitoring,evaluating,striving to ensure that their teams meet the needs of every guest. "It is possible to satisfy some of the people some of the time, most of the people most of the time, but not all of the people all of the time." This expression is very true. Whenever any guests heve any problems or criticism these were dealt with extremely efficiently. Nellie (Guest Relations) excels in this field.

The Spa is highly recommended.It was truly a wondrous place with excellent facilities.This year I took the opportunity to have a massage. It was incredibly good-- so good,in fact,that I booked another one! After breakfast my husband,daughter and myself would retreat to the spa. It was a fantastic start to each day. My husband enjoyed a work out in the gym whilst my daughter and I indulged in a leisurely swim followed by hydrotherapy pool then Hamman. WOW!

The breakfast in the main restaurant was exceptionally good. There was a wide variety of dishes to suit every taste. The Maitre d' Hotel, Kostos Doukas and the Sous Maitre preside over the restaurants. They are always welcoming and very pleasant. They certainly have their eyes on the ball,so to speak,circulating,greeting guests and directing staff when necessary. It all ensures a smooth operation and a pleasant experience. Our waitress, Katerina, was delightful. She was extremely efficient,pleasant and helpful.

Lunch at the Beach Bar was an experience not to be missed.The cold dishes were superb,with a wide variety of salads. The hot food was freshly cooked to order and delicious! We particularly recommend Greek Night (Tuesday) and Italian Night (Friday) in the main restaurant. There was plenty of variety and the food was extremely good indeed.

The A La Carte Restaurant is well worth a visit. The atmosphere was very relaxing and intimate.The views were tremendous. The food and service was of an exceptionally high standard.

The beaches were wonderful. Everywhere was extremely clean and well maintained. There was a plentiful supply of comfortable sun loungers. The water was fantastic;clear,clean and easily accessible. It was ideal for young and not so young alike.

The Water Sports Centre, situated on the beach,was fully operational. What fun there was to be had there! Skimming across the water in a motor boat;fantastic!

The hotel was ideally located to visit all parts of the island. We particularly recommend Santa Barbara beach ( South) , Acharavi ( North)and Lipaides ( West).The water can be cold at the latter but the beach is in a picturesque cove. It is also worth a visit to the mountain village of Makraides.

Gouvia,with its bars and restaurants,plus the village of Kontokali,are within walking distance of the hotel.

Over the years we have visited numerous well located hotels with excellent facilities. What makes the Kontokali Bay Hotel exceptional? Quite simply it is the atmosphere,the attention to detail, the way that every guest feels special, nurtured,valued. The guest is very much a person,not a number.

We returned home from our much needed holiday with our batteries re-charged and our joie de vivre restored.

Room Tip: Sea view or sea facing rooms are excellent
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Alex M, General Manager at Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

“Dear Jonnel_10,

Smashing review….

Thank you so much for your constant loyalty towards Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa. It is great to read your positive comments about our services and facilities and that they still suit perfectly for your family’s needs.

I am very pleased ‘The Team’ took great care of you + family and that our services and facilities met with your expectations along with the beautiful surroundings that helped you to relax and unwind.

Your comments about our personnel are superb and they do serve as a great motivator for all of us to continue striving to offer to our guests’ consistency and quality service every time. I will make sure that ALL get a copy of your review.

Thak you for takinf the time to post this Review and we are looking forward welcoming you back next season. Meanwhile, we will keep in touch.”

My warmest regards to the family,

Reviewed July 5, 2014

Booked through Thomas Cook, asked for a sea view and we were allocated a splendid suite overlooking the sea passage into the city port.
The hotel is very comfortable and the staff are attentive without being intrusive.
The half board buffet is good but the a la carte restaurant is superb and good value.
excellent central location for Corfu Town, touring the island and taking cruises to Albania.

Room Tip: Room 440 was huge and well appointed. More of a family suite
3  Thank Kate F
Alex M, General Manager at Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2014

“Dear Kate F,

Kalimera,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor and for your kind comments on our property. We are very proud of our staff and we do aim to deliver an attentive but non-intrusive level of service.

I am happy to see that we managed to surprise you with the upgrade and I hope you will be able to return in the near future for another pleasant and relaxing holiday.”

Reviewed July 2, 2014

We stayed at kantokali for four nights with our two sons aged 6 and 3. The family sea view room was fabulous with a short stroll to the beach. The kids were really made up with the beach where the water was clear and shallow. The rooms were spotless and the staff were polite and always happy to help. Variety and good quality food also kept them happy. Evening entertainment was also very good especially the magic show and the clown.

We also had great time with the water sports, Spa centre and the indoor pool. All in all a great place for a relaxing family holiday. Would highly recommend it

Room Tip: family sea view room is great for family with kids.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank AAshish1
Alex M, General Manager at Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

“Dear AAshish1,

Kalimera!!

On behalf of the team at Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa, I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your holiday with us.

We certainly do our utmost to make your holiday as comfortable and pleasant as possible, so we are very pleased to read that you were satisfied with the helpful and friendly staff, your family room, good food, beach setting and entertainment.

Thank you for choosing to have your holiday with us and for recommending Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa for a family holiday.”

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Spent 14 days here last month. Very enjoyable holiday in a smashing hotel. Spent most of the day on the decking (you have choice of decking, beach or pool to relax). Plenty to look at with the boats coming and going and water sports right in front of you. Water clean and safe for bathing. Rooms were clean and include the best balcony furniture I have ever had in a hotel. So much that one whole day I spent just on the balcony reading when the weather was not so good. Staff are friendly and efficient. Special praise must go to Customers Relations (Nellie) who arranged a day's sailing with Corfu Unlimited. To me the highlight of my holiday. A whole day on a 45ft sailing yacht. He takes maximum 6 guests but we only had 4 of us. A boon for anyone who fancies sailing but has no licence to charter a boat. Whole day (including lunch) was 150Euro for us both - and I got to take the helm for most of the day!!!
Cannot comment on the evening food as we were Bed and Breakfast.
Spa facilities great with, amongst other things, free water aerobics on 3 days per week.
All in all had a fantastic holiday and would certainly return there if we go to Corfu again

1  Thank SleafordTraveller
Alex M, General Manager at Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

“Dear SleafordTraveller,

Kalimera!!

Thank you for choosing to have your holiday with us and I am so pleased to hear that it was a “great holiday”.

I am extremely happy to note that you enjoyed your time with us and I appreciate your praising words of our room(s) and its facilities.

Your lovely comments about Nelly are greatly appreciated and have been shared with her as well as the rest of the team who are delighted to read that they were able to add value to your stay.

Please feel free to contact me in advance (manager@kontokalibay.gr) to book yet another holiday at Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa on your next holiday to Corfu.”

With kind regards,

A. Margonis - GM

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kontokali
MarBella Corfu Hotel
#3 of 11 in Corfu Town
Delfino Blu Boutique Hotel
Delfino Blu Boutique Hotel
#1 of 4 in Agios Stefanos

Been to Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!