“"VERY DECEIVING"”

Saint George Hotel
Tucson, AZ
“"VERY DECEIVING"”
Reviewed September 14, 2008

My family and I stayed here in August of this year (2008) and let me just say that we were very deceived by the pictures on their website along with their brochure!! We had booked 2 double full sea view rooms because there were 4 of us. We were not aware that these rooms only had 2 TWIN beds in them. We were led to believe that there was a double bed in each room. Not very good for my parents who are a married couple and had to sleep in two seperate beds. We arrived in Paros by ferry from Piraeus (Athens) and when we got to Paros we were aware that we needed to find a taxi in order to get to the hotel because the "hotel's bus" was broken down? Let me just warn you that there are VERY FEW TAXI'S on this island. So we had to wait over an hour to get 1 taxi which did not take all 4 of my family members because we had 6 bags. We were told that we needed 2 taxi's. So after waiting over an hour for 1 taxi, my mom and my brother went ahead and took the taxi to the hotel while my dad and I waited for another one which we never got until we ended up calling the hotel to find out if they could call a taxi for us (which they did) but we had to wait another half an hour. The ride from the port to the hotel is about a 30 minute drive and I must say that as we got closer to the hotel, I was getting a little nervous because there was pretty much nothing around except for a few houses and small apartments to rent. This hotel is VERY SECLUDED!!! Please believe me when I tell you that there is NOTHING around this hotel to do. If you want to do something you either have to rent a car or as they told us walk up the street and wait for the town bus (which you purchase tickets for at the front desk) in the street and it can take you into town which is a half an hour away. There is a schedule for the bus which does not run very often. And there isn't much to do in town or on this island. Paros is a very small island, unless you plan on wind surfing (which a lot of people come here for because it is known as the windiest island in Greece) or just doing nothing then you might like it. We had planned on staying here for 1 week but we could not take it after 2 days and had to leave and returned back to Athens for some sanity. We were staying at the St.George on half board which included breakfast and dinner. The breakfast was very slim pickings (if you know what I mean) The only kind of eggs that they had were scrambled eggs and boiled eggs (No omelets or anything like that) Mostly pastry and bread. The dinner was a buffet that was set up by the pool at night. The food wasn't too bad but again not much of a selection. We paid for lunch by pool at the restaurant that they have. The food wasn't too bad but not GREAT. The salads were good and the moussaka was good. But everything else was not that good. If you want to go buy drinks at a stand or a store there is no stand or store to buy anything around the hotel. So you're stuck buying drinks at the hotel unless you go into town. Also, there was a very strong sewer smell in the bathrooms of our rooms which was not very pleasant either. The double rooms are very small and very plain. The beds are so hard, it was like sleeping on the floor. Nothing 4 star about this hotel as they advertise it being a 4 star hotel (I don't know where they can even come off saying that, because it's not)!!! The people working at the front desk were not very hospitable as you would expect hotel staff to be. We even had to carry our own suitcases to our room when we checked in except for 1 of the hotel staff men who carried one. The only thing to do at this hotel is sit by the pool or on the beach or in your room. VERY BORING!!! Don't be deceived by the advertising of this hotel or by the reviews of some of the people who already wrote reveiws of this hotel saying that is was GREAT. Unless you're not used to staying in 4 or 5 star hotels, I would not suggest that you come here. We will not be returning ever!!!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
6 Thank Oraclegrl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Lecco
Reviewed August 3, 2008

We have been at St.George in July for our honeymoon (15days).
Everything was great. It was the 1st time we have been to Paros Island and we loved everything.
St.George Hotel is not very big, but rooms are quite large, with big bathroom and balcony. You have satellite TV, telephone, minibar and air conditioning in it. Everyday they made up our room and it was clean. Towels were changed everyday.
Breakfast was good and you could choose what you like: tea, coffee, orange juice, croissants,jam, chocolate, yoghurt, biscuits, cakes, fruits, eggs, bacon, cheese, sausages etc.
We were on halfboard so we had dinner there (beside the pool, with a beautiful view on Naxos Island). Dinner was good, they made international cooking sometimes with some Greek dish.
The hotel is quite isolated so we rented a car to move on the island. You need to rent a mean of transport if you want to visit.
The hotel is on the beach so if you don't want to move you have only to go downstairs and you are on the beach.
Hotel Staff is very kind and everyone can speak English.
We hope we will come back early!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sofie76
Brussels
Reviewed July 28, 2008

We visited Paros in June 2008 and stayed in the Saint George Hotel for 5 nights.
The hotel is situated in a beautiful location, with a great vue over the sea, but is very isolated at the same time. So, in case you want to visit the island, or do something in the evening - because there is not much / no entertainment in the hotel - make sure you have a car or bike, to get around. At the beach, only a few transats were available, but not enough for everybody.
When we first arrived there, the welcome from the man at the reception was not pleaseant at all, we even had to carry our own luggage to our rooms! We had never experienced this before. In general the hotel staff was not friendly and helpful at all.
The breakfast buffet was very plain and had very little variety, no fresh fruits (a part from apple or pear), nor freshly squeezed orange juices, not at all what one would expect in a 4 star hotel.
The rooms are clean, and sheets/towels are changed very regularly, but the matrasses are very unconfortable, and beds are very small. The bathroom is extremely tiny but clean, and despite the fact that this is a new hotel, everyhting seems incredibly old and not fresh.
In a nutshell, great location, but hotel not worthy of its 4 stars.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Hotel in general
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank choukeBrussels
New York, NY
Reviewed February 16, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for the last four days of our honeymoon. After settling on Crete and Santorini, I couldn't for the life of me decide which other island to go to for the third part of our trip. We ruled out Mykonos cause of the loudness/party atmosphere.... but I was on the fence about whether or not to go to Paros.

After reading enough positive reviews about Paros, I decided to go for it. Within Paros, I chose the St. George because I heard good things about the beach, the pool looked great, and the hotel looked new.

We arrived in Paros via the ferry with no set plans for how we would get to the hotel. We were frustrated at first, sure we weren't going to be able to find a taxi to take us, but after about 15 minutes, we did find someone. The St. George is located in New Golden Beach, which was the opposite direction of where most other people seemed to be heading (Naoussa).

When we arrived at the hotel, we were very happy we had selected it. It took about 30 minutes or so via cab to get there (it was a very nice ride.... got to see a lot of the "countryside."). It looked like a very nice, very new hotel. The front desk guy was very helpful and even walked us to our room. (The layout is a little confusing at first). The room was quite spacious... a big foyer, decent sized bathroom, big closets and big bedroom. The balcony was very large and overlooked the pool/beach.

The pool was GREAT. It was always occupied, but never annoyingly full. It was a big hit with all of the kids. There is a poolside restaurant (made fancy at night... very pretty) and a poolside bar/restaurant where we ate lunch several times. The pool closes at night so people can enjoy their food without all of the spashing. It would have been fun to swim at night, but I guess I understand....

The hotel is located right on the beach (you just have to cross a one-lane road... mainly there for people who are windsurfing to park their cars). There are tons of chairs and umbrellas, but you do have to pay for them... I think 10 euros. We were very surprised by that. There are about five free ones set aside for the hotel, but they aren't the cool ones and they fill up fast.

The beach is sandy and nice... compared to the beaches I'm used to in America, it was super puny, but apparently it's pretty big for Greece standards. It is a major, major beach for windsurfers. This was really the major deterrant for me in booking the hotel.. I was worried that it wouldn't be a relaxing beach, that it would be too windy, that it wouldn't be fun for someone who wasn't a windsurfer, but quite the opposite was true. It was a bit windy, yes, but not annoyingly so at all. There were two big sections of the water blocked off for swimmers, and the water was great! It was quite fun to watch the windsurfers.... made for some great, free entertainment! We wanted to try it, but it was too windy for beginners when we were there.

The breakfast was GREAT!!! GREEEAT. It was a huge, huge buffet. You could either eat inside or outside.... we always chose outside.

We'd recommend heading next door to the little family run restaurant.... we went several times and the food was excellent. The view was stunning.

We went for several walks....

It was the end of our trip and we didn't feel like renting a car or doing much. One night, we took the bus (quite a walk to get to the bus stop) to Naoussa.... we were glad that we did.... it was a very fun town with tons of restaurants and lots of little shops. We didn't really research how to get back (how late the busses ran, etc) so we took a taxi back.

I would definitely recommend getting up early one day to watch the sunrise.... or if not that early, at least around 7 or so... I had the entire beach to myself and went for a nice, leisurely walk. No one was there for another hour or so. Also, if you're looking for a good place for an early morning run, this would be a good place.

We were very happy with our stay here. I would definitely recommend it. I've included some pictures.

-Jenny

• Liked — big pool, great breakfast, right on beach
  • Disliked — NOTHING at all to do nearby. Very limited restaurant choices....no shops...nothing at all nearby.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jemicu
Athens, Greece
Reviewed August 13, 2007

Great place with an excellent restaurant and a very friendly staff.We really enjoyed our stay.New construction with an amazing view on the sea.

• Liked — Modest but impressive
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank alfavita
Philly
Reviewed July 14, 2007

Recently retired I had the opportunity to take an extended vacation and decided to visit several of the islands in the Cyclades.
Of course, the most popular being Santorini and Mykonos but I decided to see what some of the "not so well-known" islands had to offer. From what I understand Paros is not a main island destination for many Americans. I hope this attitude changes and Americans decide to visit this historic and beautiful island and stay at the Saint George Hotel in New Golden Beach. I was delighted with my decision. After a 4-day stay, reluctantly, I had to leave.
The hotel is lovely, with magnificent views of the sea, and on a celar day you can see the island of Naxos. The staff courteous, friendly, and helpful. The menu offerings, as well as the meal preparations and presentations, unexpectedly good, served by a friendly waitstaff and always with a nice greeting. Great bar area at the pool area, again offeriing that beautiful view of the sea. Fun bartender and you must try his mojitos (if you dare).
Fantastic pool, and great beach access. One of the best beaches I have been to actually.
Although located in a rather secluded area, rental cars or motor bikes are available for visiting the larger towns and historic landmarks. All in all, a fantastic hotel and a great experience. Very peaceful and tranquil. Definitely worth a return trip someday.
- A Philly Native who left her heart in Greece -

• Liked — Hotel's location, views, great beach
  • Disliked — A little distance for night life
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank largenj
toronto
Reviewed July 3, 2007

We stayed at the St. George for 3 nights in a family room.
-All these rooms are situated on the ground floor for the saftey of the children but the rooms are not suitable for larger children (11 & 16) , which ours were.
-The hotel was very clean, nicely appointed, with a lovely pool and beach.
-The family room was comprised of a larger room with a queen bed and an antiroom with a day bed and a bed "drawer" or bed that pulls out from under the day bed which can elevate to the hight of a normal bed. (we discovered this on the last night).
-The breakfast was very good with fresh chocolate croissants delivered to your table piping hot!
-The beach is long, sandy , shallow and devine. We loved the swimming.
-The only down side for us was we should have rented a car for our stay as the hotel is not close to any of the towns or small shops.

• Liked — very clean and pretty
  • Disliked — being on thegroung floor with less of a view
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
#1 of 4 in Aliki
Senia Hotel
Senia Hotel
#4 of 46 in Naoussa

Been to Saint George Hotel? Share your experiences!