See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed June 19, 2017

We have just returned from 11 nights in Smaro, the welcome of the owner is more an acknowledgement of you being there rather than the usual warm Greek welcome we are used to from elsewhere. The room was nice, if a little small for a family of 4, with good protection against flies etc getting in on the windows, the maid is very friendly and good at her job. The pool area is nice (we spent a lot of time in the pool with our 2 young daughters) however it could be cleaned a little more often as there are a few too many flies, ants and wasps in the pool. There is a very small pool bar which we didn't use as it felt as though we may have put the owner out to use it and we only saw one other guest use it in the whole time we were there.

The owner has a dog that they tie up near the pool that occasionally barks at new people (which scared one of our daughters on the first day), however in general is friendly.

Golden Beach is a very nice resort and in our opinion the best on the island (we hired a car for 4 days and visited most resorts), it has a good selection of tavernas (we recommend the Palude as the food is excellent and the service second to none) and a very nice beach.

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank RobH2323
Reviewed October 4, 2016

Good hotel rooms a bit small pool is ok just across the road from the beach which is one of the best beachs you'll ever see lots of Romania's in hotel not many British the maid is a very nice lady and never stopped working all the week we was there the owner's well he is ok she is one of the most miserable lady's you will ever meet if you are British she won't speak to you so we didn't take her on but apart from her the hotel is ok we would probably stay here again

Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2016

First thing first. It is situated in a great spot 5 minutes from the beach with a car rental place and super market right next door. We got a room tucked away with a shared terrace which wasn't to our liking but the place was full and we were unable to move.The Romanians who we shared the terrace with were up at 8am with kids playing right outside our door. Lack of consideration for your fellow holiday maker neighbours!!!! At least they went to bed quite early!!! The room itself was as basic as it gets. A few plates/cups/knives and forks and that was it. No cooking utensils and a bread knife would of been nice. There was a fridge and also a coffee perculator which we didn't use it,nor did we use the 2 ring mini cooker. At least it had a kettle and a fridge. But we so missed being able to sit out on the balcony/terrace on an evening.We felt we were invading the space of all the Romanians who sat out in the shared terrace.

The pool was ok,I only went in it on the last day to say that I went in it. We found the plastic sunbeds around the pool very uncomfortable and couldn't use them for longer than 20 minutes. They would of benefitted with some kind of mattress.Therefore we chose to go to the lovely beach nearby. The pool area was clean with the cleaner constantly cleaning.

We paid 400 odd quid each for the week which is expensive for what it is. I have been to a lot of other Greek islands for a lot less and had better accommodation. We paid less to go to Santorini 3 months beforehand.

Would I recommend Thassos?.....Yes
Would I recommend Golden Beach?......Yes
Would I recommend Smaro Appts?.........Yes,If you can get a better room.
Would I stay again? No,but only because we don't go to the same place twice.

Room tip: Get a balcony
Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank stephen m
Reviewed September 23, 2016 via mobile

This place is beautiful.
Very close to restaurants. The place is amazing. I was in room 112 and it was a lovely 2 bedroom apartment and the view was lovely it overlooked the sea. The swimming pool was super, it was so spacey. I was practising my cheerleading routine one day because I was the only one in the pool,but this pool is big and clear blue water. I miss this place and Thassos,Greece and will definitely come and stay here again.

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Abbie S
Reviewed September 6, 2016 via mobile

Spent a week here at the end of August/beginning of sept . Set on a small road very close to the beautiful stretch of sand known as golden beach. You are literally two mins walk from the beach. The pool is fairly small but secured it most days as it is very quiet as most seem to favour the beach. Apartments are typical Greek and very basically equipped. Mind you you don't need to cook as there are so many excellent places to eat on golden beach or 35 mins walk to the more livelier Scala potamia..most studios face the pool with a side view to the mountain and tree lined road and beach to th front. We had an end room 205 and had a slightly larger balcony round the side which catches the evening sun as it dived behind the mountain. As I said its basic, but beds are ok, air con at €6 a night... Safe in the wardrobe which I think was €14 for the week... Electric 2 hob cooker, kettle, hairdryer and a coffee maker.. Which I think could be substituted for a toaster. We did ask if there were any toasters but were told only 1 which had already been lent out. There is a small pool bar which does basic snacks and drinks, plenty of sunbeds always available.... Free wi fi. Shower was a hand held in s small but adequate shower... Hey it's Greece.. Rooms cleaned daily and were very clean.. Pool was clear unlike some other places we heard about... It's not noisy at night and all in all a great place for s very slow chilled holiday. The area is mainly eating tavernas but well worth the walk or small train journey to scala potamia.. More life if that's what you want. This was our 4th time to the island.. We don't usually do places twice..!!! A beautiful island where your holiday starts with the ferry over from the mainland. If you want chilled, sun, beautiful beach and scenery then this is for you.... Overall studios were good, clean , linen and towels changed regularly and no hills..!!! Those who have been to the emerald know what I mean..!!! Would definitely recommend but remember it's Greek and basically equipped... Go there to eat out ... We didn't have a bad meal in all the places we ate.... Supermarkets very close by as are many tavernas...

Date of stay: August 2016
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
5  Thank Brummiehome