“Old 5 star hotel, rude and hostile staff, threatened and spat on!”

Corfu Holiday Palace
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kanoni
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed here in August 2013 for one week half board - the first night the pool area (which is on the sea view side) was being used for a private wedding. This began at about 10pm and went on until after 3am, very loud and cheesy Greek music and renditions of Barry Manilow which kept the entire hotel awake. This was repeated the following Saturday by another wedding and when we left on the Sunday night the tables were being set up again! (be warned if you are on the sea view side over a weekend, you will not sleep before 3am)
The biggest problem at this hotel however are the rude and disinterested staff who seem unable to offer a smile or any assistance to their guests, the restuante staff reluctantly clear tables as guests circle looking for a place to sit - more a works canteen than a five star hotel. Dare to ask for someting and you will be greeted with hostility or a blank stare when asking for some coffee in the morning (some sort of black water which has a vague taste of coffee is included, but if you want an espresso you must collect yourself from the kitchen at 3.5 euro a cup). On our second evening my young son wanted to try the bowling ally in the basement - it was entiely empty but for two unshaven staff in baggy shorts and tshirts.. the atmosphere was uncomfortable but trying to be a 'good dad' I payed for a session and a drink, during this time the two 'staff' argued together and stared me down. When I declined to pay for more bowling I was told 'ok, you dont like, don't come again'.
As I left with my family I turned to look at one of the characters who was staring after me and shook my head. He exploded with rage and rushed accross the room where he screamed and spat every sort of obsenity two inches from my face. Luckily my older son (just 15) bravely put himself in the way and saved me from a beating - not really what I expected when I booked five stars!!!
I am not a new traveller who expects the earth and have travelled widely around the world, I respect all people, particularly those who work hard (as I do), but rudeness and threats on a family holiday is not acceptable at all.
A 5 star hotel in the same way a 20 year old BMW is still a BMW, tired and outdated but has large rooms and beautiful views - the real problem with the hotel is the staff and management.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms nice view but loud weddings on the weekend.
9  Thank Geoff M
There are newer reviews for Corfu Holiday Palace

Reviewed September 8, 2013

The location of the hotel is lovely and sea view lovely although would have preferred a higher floor than 4 as would have got a better view. The rooms are very dated and have not been refurbished for sometime. Tv was old and did not get many channels no DVD. We did have a fridge which was partly cold.
The breakfast was average and like a bun fight. Hard to find a table and any vacant tables had not been cleared. If you want a half decent cup of coffee prepare to pay extra for it!,No sun beds round pool to be had as all taken by guests who go down and put towels on so it you are not of that mentality you have had it.
Aircraft noise was not a problem and reception areas were good.
Beach was ok shingles but that's what you have.
Not a 5 star hotel

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Susan S
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We were looking forward to our stay here and had hoped for a little bit of TLC. On arrival there was nobody to help us with our bags and when we did eventually struggle to our room we found it dated and scruffy. The first thing to take our attention was that the bathroom smelled of sewage but didn't complain as other guests said that their room was the same. The courtesy fruit was rotten and when we complained another dish of fruit was sent up with 50% of it also rotten. The bathroom door was broken on the inside and the extractor fan didn't work. Incidentally the pull cord for this was over the bath. The paint was peeling off above the bath due the lack I of ventilation. The towels were small, flat, hard and passed their sell by date. I don't think they had been boiled as they were an off white. There were no blankets as such. Just a sheet with a bedspread thrown over. It was evident that the bedspread was used for every guest and not changed at change over. Our bin wasn't emptied and we had to ask for this and there were hairs in the drawers from previous guests.
The restaurant was more like a canteen. At no time did I feel relaxed and other guessed took the most hideous amounts of food away with them at breakfast to presumedly make lunch for themselves. I am not exaggerating when I say that pieces of fruit were removed by the dozen and bread cut to make several sandwiches. Meat and cheese were also removed. I have to say that the food at dinner time in my opinion was not aimed at the English market and I have not had a proper meal for 8 days. The area is scruffy and unkept but the waiters did the best that they could although the area was strewn with dirty dishes. There was a lot of pushing as everything is self service and other guests left the lids off hot food so as it was only tepid a few minutes later. The organisation was appalling.
One evening a wedding reception was held outside our room. Now correct me if I'm wrong but guests are the highest priority at a hotel are they not.? Not here. The reception was raucous and ended at 3.00am. Other guests that we spoke to said that like us they hadn't been forewarned and they too could not sleep. Another guess complained and were sent fruit!!!
Despite being by the airport, noise was not too much of a problem. The planes do not fly at night and by day seem to have little or no impact. Overall we thought the hotel was of a generally poor standard, lethargic staff, scruffy and dirty. To endorse this, just as our taxi to the airport was about to arrive, a rat ran across the balcony. We had no time to complain about this one as our driver was keen to go.
We had hoped for a good standard of cleanliness and accept that places become old and tired but in the hospitality industry there is no excuse for filth. This hotel is not worth it's five stars and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Sorry - I had hoped to write a better review.

Room Tip: The rooms are better facing away from the airport ie the sea.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rachel S
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Corfu Holiday Palace used to be part of the Hilton chain and in its heyday it must have been really great. Nowadays it shows a lack of interest in maintenance and improvement. This is also in line with other hotels from Greece, as no other Greek hotel managed to fully meet my expectations.

We were given room 236, which was supposed to be a Superior Sea View. Location was great indeed with excellent view. The room was spacious, reasonably well-maintained and smelled nice. The web site boasted LCD TV and DVD player but we only had an ancient TV and no player. No big deal, but we were with a small child and a way to play DVDs would have been nice. The A/C unit was ancient but working. Bathroom was OK but not really 5 star. There was a fridge, beds were comfy. I didn't find aircraft noise to be an issue. Overall I'd give the room 3.5 stars.

Cleaning service was adequate but they didn't change bed sheets regularly. There was no need to but in other hotels this was part of the routine. 3 stars for cleaning.

No complains about the food. We found it plentiful, varied and tasty - fruits, salads, hot meals from pasta to Chinese, ice cream and at least 3-4 desserts. I saw another review complaining about the hygiene but I can't imagine what he meant. The only thing I could possibly complain is that there was only one kind of tea. A more varied wine selection would have been better. 4 stars for food.

On to the hotel amenities, there's a well-equipped gym, the pool is large and there's an area suitable for children to swim. There's an elevator to the 'private' beach. The beach itself is nice but not outstanding. There's pool and bowling, a hair salon and some other facilities. The bar is nice. The hotel's location, surrounded by lush vegetation and with the great panorama is simply the best. 5 stars.

Staff was nice and helpful - as always you are treated the way you treat them. We found that the foreign staff (especially the Romanians from the dining area and the beach) tended to be more helpful and friendly than the locals.

Internet access from the room was pretty bad. No idea why as the signal was strong, I guess there were simply too many devices on any given router. I could connect from the public areas.

Avoid the bungalows. They don't look nice on the outside and people have complained they are damp. Same goes for 'Ionian apartments' - the area where they are located feels humid and the view is not nice.

My overall impression was positive, but not to a 5 stars rating.

Room Tip: Avoid the bungalows. They don't look nice on the outside and people have complained they are dam...
3  Thank ArmandNiculescu
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very shabby place.been badly patched. No fridge in room. Luke warm food, lack of choice. Beware they tried to charge me for my last buffet meal, took me 45 mins to clear this up. Had to leave restuarant & my food and kick up a major fuss. Two lower floors stink of damp. Bowling alley floor lifting and unsafe everywhere. Slab missing by pool so people tripping up. we booked rear garden room & paid premium for it & was given front room. Refused to .They served this 31 year old chav women until 4am. This hotel is not upto 5 star rating

1  Thank Pippio5
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We have just got back from a week at the Corfu Holiday Palace... when we arrived we were taken to our room which was Bungalow 6 - as we had booked a 5* hotel our initial reaction was of utter disappointment. The rooms were so dated, the grass at the back unkept and pubic hairs on the bed head. We immediately went to reception and wanted a refund or to be moved hotels and i asked to phone our travel provider using the reception telephone - i was told that why should the hotel pay for the call? in the end we stayed the week at the hotel as it was too costly and too much stress to change. the hotel could be amazing and the waiting staff try so hard and succeed to give customer service and a smile but unfortunately that is not enough to take away from the run down state of the hotel. everything just looks 30 years old or more. there was no atmosphere in the evenings at the hotel as despite the hotel being full very few people stayed in the bar area at night time as the entertainment was very basic. plus points where that the food was of a good standard every night but i do truly feel ripped off for paying for this hotel. we had a great time on holiday but i have to say no part of this was down to the hotel - we could have been anywhere - certainly not a five star hotel by any means. i will be writing to the travel company with my feedback.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MKEENLONDON
Reviewed September 2, 2013

There isn't much to say , the most important is that we have had an amazing time . Overall our vacation and our stay at the hotel was superb!
The room was very clean , the food plenty of choice , the views to die for, the personnel very helpful and assisted us with everything . We felt really welcome and made us feel like home .
Thank you all and we promise to be back soon .
Take care all we already miss you Corfu !

Room Tip: Lagoon View has superb panoramic views of the city and the distant mountains as well as the lagoon...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Peter F
Corfuholidaypalace, Manager at Corfu Holiday Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Dear Peter F,

Thank you so much for your wonderful and positive review on tripadvisor concerning your recent stay at corfu Holiday Palace Hotel.

We certainly do our utmost to make your holiday as comfortable – memorable and pleasant as possible, so we are very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay and we met your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future and we thank you once again for taking the time to write such positive feedback on your stay.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me should you wish to book again in order to personally take care of your accommodation and assist you with your reservation.

Yours sincerely,
Maria Ioannidou

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kanoni
MarBella Corfu Hotel
Aeolos Beach Resort
Mareblue Beach Resort
Mareblue Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Agios Spyridonas

Been to Corfu Holiday Palace? Share your experiences!