Stayed here in August 2013 for one week half board - the first night the pool area (which is on the sea view side) was being used for a private wedding. This began at about 10pm and went on until after 3am, very loud and cheesy Greek music and renditions of Barry Manilow which kept the entire hotel awake. This was repeated the following Saturday by another wedding and when we left on the Sunday night the tables were being set up again! (be warned if you are on the sea view side over a weekend, you will not sleep before 3am)
The biggest problem at this hotel however are the rude and disinterested staff who seem unable to offer a smile or any assistance to their guests, the restuante staff reluctantly clear tables as guests circle looking for a place to sit - more a works canteen than a five star hotel. Dare to ask for someting and you will be greeted with hostility or a blank stare when asking for some coffee in the morning (some sort of black water which has a vague taste of coffee is included, but if you want an espresso you must collect yourself from the kitchen at 3.5 euro a cup). On our second evening my young son wanted to try the bowling ally in the basement - it was entiely empty but for two unshaven staff in baggy shorts and tshirts.. the atmosphere was uncomfortable but trying to be a 'good dad' I payed for a session and a drink, during this time the two 'staff' argued together and stared me down. When I declined to pay for more bowling I was told 'ok, you dont like, don't come again'.
As I left with my family I turned to look at one of the characters who was staring after me and shook my head. He exploded with rage and rushed accross the room where he screamed and spat every sort of obsenity two inches from my face. Luckily my older son (just 15) bravely put himself in the way and saved me from a beating - not really what I expected when I booked five stars!!!
I am not a new traveller who expects the earth and have travelled widely around the world, I respect all people, particularly those who work hard (as I do), but rudeness and threats on a family holiday is not acceptable at all.
A 5 star hotel in the same way a 20 year old BMW is still a BMW, tired and outdated but has large rooms and beautiful views - the real problem with the hotel is the staff and management.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- One of the first luxury hotels in Corfu, this hotel is the only one in the island with a direct view to the famous ‘Mouse Island’’ the trademark of Corfu Island. Set in magnificent landscaped gardens /45000 sq. m./ with an abundance of pine- eucalyptus and cypress trees, well maintains its prominent position amongst Corfu’s top hotels. The hotel is very close to Corfu town and also nearby the major archaeological sites offering the perfect base for those seeking to explore the island. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, Prestigia, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Corfu Holiday Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aquis Corfu Holiday Palace Hotel Kanoni
- Aquis Corfu Holiday Palace Kanoni
- Corfu Holiday Palace Kanoni