“Great hotel in a great location called Kanoni (Greek 5* = UK 3*)”

Corfu Holiday Palace
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kanoni
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Great hotel in a great location called Kanoni (Greek 5* = UK 3*)”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed at the Corfu holiday palace for a week from 14th June and can honestly tell you it was absolutely wonderful!

Of course, as everyone has said, the rooms need updating a little with new decor and TVs but to be fair, why would you go on holiday to sit in your room all day? (Except for the air con that is!) The air con in the rooms is free, though this only works when the balcony door is closed.

The rooms are spacious and the beds are comfy (they're 2 singles pushed together). The sheets were changed daily along with towels - even clean ones were changed! Every day we came back to the room we found our stuff neatly lined up which I found an added perk.

The bathroom was nice and big with a power shower over the bath which always had hot water - it also had great water pressure!

We were on the 5th floor (Rooms 520 and 522) which are the Sea View rooms - I recommend these for the view alone! The higher you are the better the view, as the trees did shield some of the view. We asked for quiet rooms on booking and so we were placed on the far side of the hotel away from the airport.

The lake view rooms overlook the airport and so I would say those would be a tad noisier. If watching planes land and take off is your thing, you might want to book one of these rooms however.

The hotel bars were great, of which there are 4 in and around the hotel but they were a little expensive (2-3 euros for a glass of coke or sprite). When ordering drinks, they were often accompanied by free tortilla chips and nuts which were awesome! Drinks were always brought to you too!

The restaurant for half board is on the floor below the reception (-1 in the lift). We found dinner food to be slightly different every day with a salad bar, hot food bar and dessert bar. Dessert was similar each day but with a slight difference in flavours. Salad had mostly the same stuff but with different pastas/rices, etc. There was always a vegetarian option but we had a fussy eater with us so he ate beans and potatoes all week!

Breakfast was a little repetitive but there was a lot of selection so if you don't eat tonnes of food each morning you can try something different each day. They had fried potato slices at this time too but also had pancakes, fruit, Greek yogurt, 5 different jams, cereal, toast and pastries along with the typical eggs (scramble, fried and boiled), sausages and bacon.

Drinks cost when you eat at dinner (2 euros for a 1.5ltr bottle of water) but you get free juice/water/tea/coffee at breakfast.

The added bonus is a random cat that comes for free food! - It's very cute :)

The staff are amazing throughout and are very friendly, genuinely so too!

The beach is great! A bit pebbly but not a massive issue. The sunbeds/parasols are 7 euros for the whole day (5 euros if you only need 1 bed) and there's a bar which plays reggae music lots. The poolside sunbeds are free to use but you generally find that people 'reserve' them with personal belongings - this annoyed us as they were doing this stupidly early then going up for food for a couple hours! You get free towels (1 each) every day at either the poolside or the beach.

If you want to escape the hotel for the day it is just 1.10 euros each to get the bus to Corfu town. We bought the tickets from the little shop at reception and caught the bus from the stop at the entrance to the hotel. Corfu town has plenty of little shops and restaurants; there is also a Mcdonalds and an M & S there which we were surprised about.

We also booked a trip via one of the tour books at reception. We went to Paxos (Island just off Greece) and Parga (little coastal town on the Greek mainland), for 34 euros per person, which was slightly expensive. I wouldn't really recommend this trip as it takes nearly 3 hours to get to the locations on the boat each way!

All in all we loved our stay, would recommend this hotel and will no doubt stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. We asked for adjoining rooms which we were given. Also, the 5th floor Free Wif...
4 Thank Mark L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Cannock, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We take several holidays abroad but never have we witnessed a hotel reception continually bombarded with complaints. Guests unhappy with their room not being as booked and paid for. The Manageress at this hotel fails to correct recurring issues. The accommodation offered and the meal service falls far short of any four star holiday we have EVER known. A good four star hotel should receive many many good appraisals and no bad appraisals. This hotel is rated a lowly 75th in Corfu, with empty and derelict hotels nearby, will this one be next.

Room Tip: Select a sea view room and you have only a 50% chance of a sea view. Select a lake view and you get...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Alan C
Wiltshire
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed here for a week over half term, wasn't expecting a 5 star hotel as we would in England but the hotel was lovely, and the service was 5 star. We were upgraded on arrival to a sea view suite, a little dated but the views were fantastic and the room cleaned and towels, sheets changed every day. Loved that they had free towels to use at the beach or pool, wish I had known before I took ours but nice to take home clean towels for once. We took the half board option and was really surprised how nice, fresh and a good choice of food there was, there was always something that the children could eat. The hotel is a little dated and not a 5 star as we would know it but we had a lovely holiday here and couldn't fault it and everyone we spoke to liked the hotel too.The staff were always friendly and helpful.Great that you are not far from the airport, just jump in a taxi and you are there within 10 mins. Bus at end of drive takes you into Corfu Town every 20 minutes. Would go back.

Room Tip: sea view rooms have a fantastic view, garden rooms over look the runway though they are not noisey
Dear twinmum321,

Thank you for posting your comments and sharing your holiday experience at corfu holiday Palace Hotel on Trip Advisor.

I am very glad to hear that we were able to assist in providing you with a memorable holiday and you were well satisfied by the room , hotel’s cleanliness and that you found the food nice and fresh. I will pass all your compliments to the staff that will be happy to hear that their hard work is rewarded as they strive daily to meet guests’ expectations.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Corfu holiday Palace on your next visit to the Corfu island.
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Pleased with our 7th floor lakeside room. Like others guests with rooms at the front (seaview rooms are at the back) we could clearly see the airport but we were on the righthand side so little less noise than being on the left. Others in Bungalows had mixed comments as some of these seem better equipped than others. Our room was of a good standard. Maid service was 5 star and deserved our gratuity.
The beach at the hotel was particularly nice. Small cove-like, with no waves and clearest aqua-marine water we have seen. It had one pedallo which we hired and went round Mouse Isalnd in this. You can walk round the corner and there is a cafe, ideal if you want a change from the hotel's beach bar. We also went on a boat trip to Mouse Island 2.50 Euros each (kids half price)
For buses all destinations are via Corfu Town. However, if you want to go Noth East say to Benitses you can avoid the daily trip to Corfu Town by walking across the causeway (bridge) by the aforementioned cafe and then turn left by the Taverna and the bus stop is on the left. Everywhere else, I believe you need to go via Corfu town.
We visited Mon Repos (modest stately home where Prince Philip was born), Benitses (not much there) Paleokastritas and Dassia. Be careful if you endulge in watersports at Dassia as we had a nasty accident banging heads on doughnut/giant ringo and your insurance might not cover it. Severe bruising still 10 days later.
The food at the hotel was good. I think some of the satff are not from Corfu, so on occassions it could be a little frustrating communicating and sometimes you had to be a little patient ordering drinks. We had the house white at 12 euros. You can keep for the next day but large water at 2 euros is not kept. Part of the dining area is outside and this has some lovely views.
Breakfast very good with all eggs cooked to order-Pancakes, omlettes and fried.
Hotel pool area nice with exceptional views to the sea and beach. There's lots of trees and the situation of the hotel is undoubtedly 5 star plus.
Hotel has little entertainment but if you go out and about and eat dinner around 9.00 then have a drink you do not have much time to pass.
There is a scruffy but workable pool table and ten pin bowling downstairs for 4 Euros a throw.
We had a very nice stay and Corfu was prettier than we anticipated. Corfu town is a really nice emix or Venetian and French architecture and if its not too hot is worth a trip.
Other than the head banging incident in Dassia we enjoyed our holiday. The Hotel is fine and good value if you have realistic expectations. It certainly has the credentials to be a top class hotel. However I would rather they leave it as it is, forget the tinsel and silver, but keep the prices low so those with us with champagne taste but a lemonade budget can afford a touch of class away from the union jack short brigade. We might go back again next year if price is still competitive.
The shop oppositse the entrance sells bus tickets- just double up to get returns to save queueing for tickets the other end. We bought a giant beach ball and water for our trips from the shop most days. The Father and son who run it were very helpful.

Room Tip: You might see sandier beaches on the island but the hotel beach is tranquil and very calm. You can h...
9 Thank BrightMJJA
Dear BrightMJJA,

Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at Corfu Holiday Palace Hotel.

Your feedback about the standard and cleanliness of our rooms and the hotel as well as our friendly - professional staff is motivating. I will pass on your feedback to our team.

Kindly note that in the hotel there are various room types and there is price difference between them such as lake view room , sea view room ,suites , Bungalows and garden rooms detailed descriptions are available to our official website .

Also regarding the entertainment there are several programs daily in the hotel like Latin party every Friday, piano live music in the bar, duet live in the main bar, BBQ night every Wednesday with Greek live music and folklore dances in the main hotel’s restaurant, Italian night every Friday, Greek night in the restaurant every Sunday, Tango Argentino live dancing show every Sunday evening in the Bar etc.

Guest feedback is an important yardstick which helps us to maintain and improve our standards as well as meet and exceed guest expectations. I am delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations on all counts.

Thank you for recommending us. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Corfu Holiday Palace Hotel soon again and i will be happy to personally take care of your reservation , please don’t hesitate to contact me directly anytime.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Overall, my experience of this hotel is one that will stay with me for a long time. The pros far outweigh the cons. Don't believe some of the bad reviews on here - I think those people either really unlucky or very picky.
I can understand if people come away a little disappointed if they were expecting 5-star, but that can be avoided if you realise it is no longer of that standard (still very nice though).

I'll try to give a concise evaluation of each of the key features:

- Rooms: mine was fairly basic but clean and nice. I have heard stories of under-performing A/C (including while I was there), but I had no trouble. Fantastic view from balcony. Bathroom spotless.

- Food: unlike some of the reviews, I found there to be plenty of choice. Someone pointed out the lack of Greek cuisine, but I guess there are trying to cater for the multitude of international tourists. And what there was was very nice.

- Bar: the bar is quite small but comfortable, and they also let you take drinks out onto the veranda. Some of the musical acts that are hired are a little dubious but fairly harmless.

- Staff: nice and friendly. English not great, but good enough. A little too laid back for my liking, but then this is Greece!

- Pool: did not try the indoor one as the outdoor one was excellent. Slightly chilly but not freezing - just right. Need to get out there early to get decent sunbeds though (which I would expect in July/August but not necessarily June when I was there).

- Beach: a rather pleasant and quiet little private beach. However there is a charge, and they only have a limited number of sunbeds (more so than the pool area). The water is clear and there were no jellyfish, etc.

- Other: in addition, they have a bowling alley (two lanes), table tennis (obligatory!) as well as pool and snooker tables which no-one ever seemed to use which was a shame.

Final thoughts - best view I've had at a hotel. Would have been better in its heyday, but still a very good place to stay while in Corfu. Cannot recommend it enough really.

Room Tip: Sea view is good if you are high up enough (I was in floor 6 of 7). Maybe try the bungelows, as som...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank cityowl007
Dear cityowl007,

Many thanks for posting your so positive comments on trip Advisor after your recent stay at Corfu Holiday Palace Hotel.

I am pleased to hear that you had a relaxing vacation while staying with us. At Corfu Holiday Palace, guest satisfaction is paramount and I am delighted by your comments about hotel’s pool being “excellent” as well the views of the hotel “fantastic” , the rooms spotless and the food nice with “plenty of choice”.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back at our hotel and should you decide to do so, please do not hesitate to contact us as we will do our utmost to fully satisfy you once again.
Bristol
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Having read mixed reviews about this hotel, I went with an open mind, however I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were a little dated, but clean. The balconies were an excellent size, I had a view of the the front of the hotel which overlooked the runway, I enjoyed watching the planes take off and land. The staff, in particular the waiting staff were extremely friendly and accommodating and there was a good selection of food to choose from. Being vegetarian, I was a bit limited, but there were plenty of salad choices so I ate very healthily! The pool area was gorgeous, overlooking the private beach. The entertainment was dissapointing, the hotel singer could not hit a single note, this became very amusing, espcially after consuming many mojitos, which were fab, I asked the waiter what his secret was and apparently he brings his own mint from the garden! All in all, this is a great hotel and I would have no hesitation staying here again. The location is amazing, with great views of the monastry and Pontikisi Island. There is a bus that goes from outside the hotel into Corfu Town, which again is worth a visit, the shops are great and there are lots of sights to visit. I certainly hope to return again in the near future.

Room Tip: It is definitely worth paying a little extra for a sea view, you will never get bored of looking out...
4 Thank ClaireBristol
Dear ClaireBristol,

Thank you very much for the appreciation. Your positive feedback posted on Trip advisor about your recent stay at Corfu Holiday Palace Hotel will encourage us to exceed customer expectations every time.

It greatly pleases us to know that our services were up to your expectations and that you found the staff “ extremely friendly- accommodating”, the rooms with “excellent size and clean, the food with plenty of choice, the mojitos in the bar “Fab” , the hotel of “Great Views” and that your stay was a comfortable one.

In reference to your remark regarding the food selection for Vegetarians , we have taking your remarks into consideration and we have already made the necessary implements in the Buffet as guests feedback always assist us on improving more and is valued highly as well as appreciated.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Corfu island and Corfu Holiday Palace Hotel in near future.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2012

have just spent week here 5th june 2012.Nice hotel lovely room on 5th floor sea view.room spotless and cleaned every day.the staff were excellent very friendly.breakfast was very good but in the evening not so good,dont get me wrong quality very good but main course choice very limited and sweets very repetetive.have stayed at many 5star hotels and should be better.no brown sauce and if you want ketchup always have to ask for it,would be better if these were on table in the morning.prices for drinks when having meal are quite good 2.50 euros large beer or wine and same price at the pool,but when you go to kefi bar in the evening they charge you a whopping 4.50 euros for beer. the prices should be the same throughout the hotel.not a lot to do in the evening.bowling alley and live music in kefi bar but not very good.pool area nice plenty of beds,but if you go down to the hotel private beach 7 euros for beds,should be 3 at a 5 star hotel.we travelled independently and as such could not book any excursions,would be nice if hotel could book you some.hotel was opening little shop as we were leaving but no newspapers and shop across road does not sell either.go to shop across road for drinks ect and put these in fridge do not use stuff in fridge as very expensive.bus stop outside hotel and buses very good if you buy bus tickets at shop you save 1 euro per person on return trip to corfu town.managed to do a couple of little boat trips from town harbour.ther is only 1 taverner opposite hotel very good ,glad we were half board.went to town couple of times as nothing near hotel very quiet which will suit some people but too quiet for me and im not a youngster 47.have been to corfu 6 times but wouldnt stay here again as area is too quiet.but if you going to this hotel nothing to worry about.would be good also if they had tea coffee facilities in room.just nice to have that choice.and also please have 1 channel on tv in english they have about 6 german ect but not 1 in english,they need to cater for everyone and there was a lot of english at hotel.sky news would be good.overall nice holiday but if you want somewhere where there is a bit more choice of things to do ect pick another resort.

Room Tip: pay extra and get sea view room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank greenjacket65
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kanoni
MarBella Corfu Hotel
Aeolos Beach Resort
Corfu Mare Boutique Hotel
Corfu Mare Boutique Hotel
#3 of 10 in Corfu Town

Been to Corfu Holiday Palace? Share your experiences!