“Nice place!”
Review of Plaza Hotel

Plaza Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Massouri
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We loved staying at Plaza for 2 weeks.
The room was nice, the view of Telendos was even better!
There was two weddings under our stay, and it was a great experience for us.
I see some complaines over the breakfast, but we thougth it was ok, and the greek youghurt with local honey was very good!

Room Tip: Room with seaview.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Margot V

Reviewed September 15, 2012

We were relieved to find the hotel was open at 3 am after ferry arrived at Pothia port and a taxi was available but crowded. Our seaview room was basic with minimal furniture. Hotel fixtures were poorly maintained generally. Breakfasts were basic with little variety. On one Saturday night guests had to endure a noisy wedding in the pool area, overlooking sea, which started at 10 pm and finished at 3.45 am. Also rooms not facing the sea would be noisy with road noise and early morning bars. There is a local bus from Massouri to Pothia port but a scooter or small car is a good option to get around island. There are some great places to eat at Massouri and the area has a nice vibe. The views from hotel to Telendos are wonderful. The tap water is hard and smelly on the island so bottled water is necessary.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WozaT
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Having spent the night dumped by Olympic Holidays in a taverna on Kos to wait for the first ferry for Kalymnos, we didn't exactly arrive at the hotel in great form. We were exhausted having not slept all night and were very disorientated. When the coach dropped us outside the hotel, we were struck by the lovely smell of the pine trees and spirits were lifted. Then we got our room; minus 2 floors down from reception. Having requested a high level when we booked back in January, we were slightly taken aback. Got to the room. Felt like the end of a long horrible underground corridor. The room was quite big and the view of Telendos Island amazing. After the amazing view taking us in, we saw the crumbs on the floor, and the ants and the large amounts of long black hairs. I then turned the shower on and the stench was awful. Sewers. Then we went for a quick walk. Saw a dog do his business near the pool area. Went to the beach. Filthy-empty glass bottles etc. This was the early morning after the night before (approx 8am)but even so! Called the rep and she persuaded us to stay. She got the room changed, cleaned and recommended a decent beach 10 mins walk away and amazing restaurant (Aegean). So pleased she did! Although our new room was better, there was still a horrible smell from the shower every time we turned it on that lasted a good minute each time, there were still black hairs all over the floor each day after the room had been cleaned, and the breakfasts were terrible, BUT the resort, people and surroundings make it all worth it. It's stunning. Go there but don't think you'll get a decent hotel. You will get a hotel with an outstanding view and you will have an amazing holiday. I think we have to allow for the economic circumstances affecting things. If you go with Olympic, Anna the rep is a legend.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the sea view rooms. The other ones have nothing like the same view and are louder as t...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rachael P
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We booked two sea view rooms for two adults and two teenagers at the beginning of July for three nights after being told this is the place to stay if you are travelling to Kalymnos. I suppose they were right to a point. The view was very nice and it was close to the beach but that's where the good bits end I'm afraid. The rooms were tiny, especially the bathroom,you were pushing it trying to get two people inside at the same time.
It wasn't just one thing that you could say was the problem but there were many. Trying to get some local inside info from the receptionist about where is the nicest place to eat or public transport was an effort on her part.
As a previous reviewer wrote, the pool was dirty and they seem to think by adding more chlorine will make it cleaner, we actually didn't swim in the pool for that reason. We constantly had trouble with the room locks as they did not work for a couple of days, yes I know very minor but irritating.
The whole hotel is in need of a serious upgrade, very eighties.
The breakfast was a joke, it felt like we were eating in a hospital canteen. The scrambled eggs were disgusting to look at little lone eating them, and everything else was mega processed like cheese, juices, bread and everything else. I would recommend eating out. All in all the experience left us a little disappointed and let down especially after staying in some of the most fantastic accommodation on the other Islands, but hey if you're looking for a glorified backpackers well this is the place. I think next time I would find a nicer place elsewhere on the Island and just commute to the beach.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank John S
Reviewed July 22, 2012

The moment we entered our room the view of the pool and the sea took our breaths away. We had a room with sea view, which only costed a bit more but it was worth every cent! At night we kept the curtains open to watch the view and listened to the sea waves. There was wind and the sea was a bit cold so we swam in the swimming pool and looked down to the sea! The sunset from our balcony was amazing!

The breakfast was rather basic however we did not care too much about it as everything else was great including the price of the room.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a sea view room. You will not regret it!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chrismi
Reviewed July 13, 2012

The place is literally on the sea. That makes it very convenient. However the room (double-room) was TOO small. The bathroom siphon smelled really bad (we were told the smell comes from thw hotel's sewer...). After midday the sun hits directly on the sea-view rooms making it really hard to stay in the room for an afternoon nap without turning on the a/c. If you plan to go to Kalymnos which is actually a very nice island, that's the place to stay because unfortunately there's nothing else as "decent"...
PS one night there was a wedding reception. We were told that if would finish by 01.00 hrs but it went on until 03.30...

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Parrisia
Reviewed July 2, 2012

for many reasons, it's not or not any more. What a desapointment! I dreamt of this stay for months, after falling in love with Kalymnos and a lovely stay at Hotel Continental last year. I went through many photos of the Plaza and its fantastic location, giving me all reasons to think I had found THE hotel of my so longed for holidays in Kalymnos.
When arriving at 10 in the morning on a Thursday, I was greeted by Eleni at the reception in a very kind way.
The reception staff is extremely helpful and so is Nikos at the pool bar, a charming guy even though completely overworked having to prepare meals, cocktails, drinks, ice-creams, serve them and clean off, all by himself : see the size of the hotel ( always fully booked because Masouri is a worldwide known climbing Mecca) and you'll understand!
At first sight it all looked according to expectations. I noticed the pool surrounding was not really clean and the furniture worn out but because of the great location, didn't pay too much attention. The room itself was well fitted, clear with large windows, a balcony and the promised lovely sea view I paid for. Nothing to complain about the bathroom either : clean, nicely tiled with plenty of towels.As offered in the services, I tried to enjoy a bit of TV but unfortunately even with the good will of the evening receptionist, it didn't work.Not that important but better not to mention it then.
It eventually was fixed after 2 days but only had Greek and German channels, that should also be notified.
I started to get concerned with the pool's surrounding and the pool snack-bar the next day : I noticed it was the same dirty or dirtier. As for the toilets: the Ladies were bloked and stinking.... I even had to clean my sunbed by myself. The pool was unclean with plenty of sand at the bottom. In fact, clients don't bother to use the facilities to shower or clean their feet before swiming. Some even dive in directly coming from the sandy beach : isn't that a nice way to wash off?! Nobody would tell them for a simple reason : there is nobody to do so! The owner having obviousely decided to cut off expenses on staff : one employee at the snack-bar being more than enough! I was even quite worried about very young kids using this pool.
For the same reason the poor girl serving breakfast, cleaning off tables, cleaning rooms and doing the laundry could not have time to clean all the corridors and stairs with her only morning part time job.
In fact all along my 12 days stay, I noticed the same dirty spots at the same corners.... and since I was up at 6.00 every morning, I could check the pool's surroundings were only properly hosed twice!
For this standard of an hotel, this is not acceptable. Perhaps are the climbers too busy with their sportive lives to notice anything. They usually leave early and come back exhausted!
I thought I would then enjoy the beach, but on Saturday afternoon, the owner, a very rude and arrogant person decided to build his new beach-bar : drills and hammers, unbearable noise all over the pool and beach! When I asked him if it was going to take long, he just grinned at me and said "why?".
He used to hang around the hotel, never only saying hello but pushing his staff and looking down at clients : believe me that's not Greek hospitality as I know it for 14 years! .
By the way,breakfast is a joke ,see other clients comments : processed cheese, processed ham, plastic bread and the so called "scrambled eggs" turned green at times! Not a single slice of Feta ( local ) or tomato ( local ). Undrinkable orange juice. Would better not propose any!
Access to the huge terrace with a view was closed and we had to stay in a cantine- like noisy room.
Anyway the poor only service girl would never had been able to serve and clean the terrace!
She was doing her very best though. Unfortunately replaced by a totally useless new girl after a few days.
All together this stay could have been fantastic with appropriate staff and services.
If the owner had shown a minimum of respect for his clients too!
I felt so desapointed! Sorry but when a place is unclean it makes me feel quite uncomfortable.
I know the Plaza will always be booked, because of its really smashing location but most of all because climbers will always come to Masouri. Still I hope my review will help bring some improvement in the future. As for myself, I definitely will not come back to the Plaza but to lovely Mirties or Telendos where Greek hospitality is at his best....or to the charming Continental.
Best restaurant ever is next to the hotel, on your right in the direction of Mirties....great Greek specials on the grill with the most cheerful service and always a desert and drink offered, cheap too...as for shopping, the one and only Supermarket : Antonis and Niki near the Sunset bar : very affordable prices for Masouri ( touristic place,really expensive ) and so adorable people....The Rock Cafe across the steet's owners are really charming too....

Room Tip: Sea-view is a must!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Quality-Pro
Also consider these accommodations in or near Massouri
MasouriBlu Boutique Hotel
#9 of 11 in Kalymnos
Hotel Philoxenia
Hotel Philoxenia
#3 of 11 in Kalymnos

Been to Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!