Denali Bluffs Hotel
$129
Hotels.com
The Perch Resort(McKinley Village)
No availability for your dates from our partners
McKinley Chalet Resort(McKinley Village)
  • Restaurant
Grande Denali Lodge(McKinley Village)
  • Restaurant
Denali Park Village(Denali National Park and Preserve)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewssliding doornational parkshuttle servicesister hotelon siteshuttle busvisitor centerhotel restaurantshopping areabox lunchesstayed here for two nightsbuffet breakfastyour luggagecoffee makerwilderness access centerrestaurants and shopsmountaineer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 27, 2014

The property is "basic" in comparison to the luxury accommodations at the Aleyska resort that I'd just left, however the room was comfortable, well thought out, and clean. The staff was the true highlight of this hotel. I had the pleasure of being served by guest service agent Jorge. I was greeted with a warm smile and even helped with my bags and guided to my room as I got somewhat turned around trying to find the exact room that belonged to me. Jorge was knowledgeable, friendly, and definitely made my stay more than just good but GREAT! If you're looking for a place that knows how to treat their guests try this place. If you ask for Jorge by name you're sure to have a fantastic stay even with the mosquitos ;-).

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Eric J
ddkalaska, Director of Sales at Denali Bluffs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Dear Eric J - thank you so very much for the wonderful review. Jorge is WONDERFUL - we had actually only been open a few days when you visited us and it is wonderful to know that our staff impressed you. Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and to recognize Jorge!
Dee Dee

Reviewed May 24, 2014

This is a goodplace to stay as base for your hike trips, bustrips etc.
Don't expect anything fancy but it is clean and the beds are very good.
People at reception are friendly. We stayed as a couple but with children it would also be fine.
You can walk to the restaurants and oft shops in Denali.
Defnitly can recommend this place and my standard is always high.

Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank sneeuwwitjeroos
ddkalaska, Director of Sales at Denali Bluffs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Dear sneeuwwitjeroos, thank you very much for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for recognizing our staff - they do a great job - we opened a week ago so it is good to know that they are representing us well. Dee Dee

Reviewed December 11, 2013

If you are simply looking for a place to put your head after a long day touring Denali National Park, this would fill the bill. If you are looking for something a little more upscale, keep looking. We were there in June and the temperatures were in the 90's - very unusual. Be warned - there is NO AIR CONDITIONING! We did have a small fan that we could put in the door to the "balcony" to help circulate some air, but it didn't help all that much. We could have opened both the main door and the balcony door to get a cross breeze, but that would have let in the mosquitoes (which are HORRENDOUS in Alaska) and we didn't have mosquito netting.

The rooms are very small for 4 people plus luggage. If you are a couple, the room would probably be just fine. The bathroom consists of the toilet and a tub/shower combination. The sink is actually in the room. Convenient for brushing teeth while someone is showering, but inconvenient when trying to maneuver around the room with 4 people in there.

The restaurant on site is ok, but nothing spectacular. There are better restaurants down the hill along the highway. If you do dine in the restaurant or have a couple of drinks at the bar, you cannot sign the bill to your room. That may not be a big deal to many, but when I'm on vacation, I prefer to walk around the property where I'm staying and not have to worry about taking anything more than my room key. The Pesky Moose is kind of like a convenience store selling coffees, snacks, t-shirts etc. They do sell boxed lunches for your trip into Denali National Park. The lunch consists of a sandwich, chips, fruit, cookie and water. They aren't cheap ($15), but they are pretty good and you can't beat the convenience! You have to order your boxed lunch the day before your trip into the park, but you can pick it up as early as 6am!

There is a walking path that leads up to the sister hotel which from the outside looked a little more upscale, but I can't confirm that. The view however is not to be missed. My husband walked part way up the path to get pictures of the "Super Moon" one night. You can also experience the view by driving up a separate road to the sister hotel. The view is great - and pay attention to the "road signs" on the way up - way funny! If you want a view, you really have to go up the path and/or to the sister hotel. There is not a really good view from the rooms - unless you like looking through the tree tops.

The most convenient parking lot is way too small for the amount of rooms. There is an "overflow" lot and we ended up using that most of the time. It is a longer walk back to the hotel and somewhat uphill. Most times upon our return, my husband had to drop off my youngest (who was on crutches with a broken foot) and I first and then go park.

Would I stay here again? No. It's not that it was bad, but it's just not right for my family of 4 which includes 2 teenage boys. My oldest is 6'3" and could barely fit on the bed. My youngest is currently 5'7", but he's still growing. For the price, I think I'd probably check out the Princess hotels in the area or just find a cabin somewhere to rent. You can't beat the convenience factor though.

Is it worth the $220+/night? No way! I chose this hotel because I had a coupon and it was the most convenient for the things we did. If you want convenience, then get a Northern Lights or TourSaver Alaska book and make full use of the coupon. Using the coupon brought the average cost for 3 nights down to $149/night.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Michelle F
ddkalaska, Director of Sales at Denali Bluffs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We had a VERY hot summer in Denali and many hotels in our area do not have air conditioning. We are in the budget process for 2014 and hope to have a/c installed in the rooms by May. We will also be upgrading the bedding and look and feel of our rooms. Unfortunately we can't do much about the size of the rooms and you are correct, with two teenage boys I am sure it was a tight fit. I am pleased that you were able to enjoy the surrounding walking paths and hiking trails. That is one of the best things about Denali National Park, it really is about being outside and enjoying the beauty that is all around you. As far as the hotel at the top of the hill, that is our sister property - my favorite thing to do is to take our complimentary shuttle from the Bluffs to the Grande (the top of the hill) and then walk down (smile). Thanks again for your review - we do take your input seriously! Dee Dee Kay

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Property is located at end of the main Street but very nice walk. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Basic room which could use some updating but did the job. Dining was ok but we had a better meal in the town. Bottom line...place to rest your head and experience Alaska.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank tripping58

Thanks for staying with us and for your review. We are in the process of upgrading the rooms at our Denali Bluffs Hotel for 2014 and I know that you will be pleased with those upgrades. We will be upgrading the bedding in the rooms as well as the feel and look of the rooms. Once again, thanks for your review - we do take your comments seriously! Dee Dee Kay

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I stayed at the Denali Bluffs this past June, and I'm being completely honest that it was the worst hotel experience that I've ever had. The rooms do not have AC or even ceiling fans. I am aware that it was unusually hot for June in Denali, but not any hotter than it would be in July. Therefore the excuse for not having any fans for guests is really unacceptable. (Especially since the hotel staff had fans for themselves.) The only solution they suggested was to open the doors…however, that would allow in mosquitoes, other guests, and potentially wild animals....clearly not a real solution.

When I spoke to the front desk, they were rude and unsympathetic, and when I contacted the Director of Lodging (Sharlene Berg) the next morning, her response was merely "we are trying to get fans for next summer." That does not help me. The interesting thing is that I found out another couple was offered a refund...To me this is clearly a case of ageism. That couple was older, and clearly the hotel does not find travelers in their early 30s to be serious customers. I assure you that I'm very serious about not staying at one of their properties ever again.

(I will say that the one positive was their restaurant is very good.)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Lauren C
ddkalaska, Director of Sales at Denali Bluffs Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Dear Lauren C, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. As you know, Denali National Park is 4 hours from Anchorage and 2 hours from Fairbanks. I can tell you that Alaska DID have a very hot June, July and August - temperatures were much higher than normal. I personally drove to Fairbanks to try and purchase fans and believe it or not, Wal Mart, Sam's Club, etc. were sold out! We did place an order from fans and did have some come in later in the season. I do apologize for you not feeling you were treated equally. I was not aware of any refunds given because of heat issues and don't know the specific details of the other guests situations. I did want to let you know that we are looking at ways to make sure we are prepared for the unseasonal hot temperatures in the future. Thanks for allowing us to address your concerns. I am also passing your comments concerning staffing on to our management team. Dee Dee