Denali Grizzly Bear Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Perch Resort(McKinley Village)
  • Restaurant
Denali Bluffs Hotel(McKinley Village)
View Hotel
Grande Denali Lodge(McKinley Village)
View Hotel
Crows Nest Cabins(McKinley Village)
  • Restaurant
Denali Park Village(Denali National Park and Preserve)
  • Restaurant
McKinley Chalet Resort(McKinley Village)
View Hotel
All reviewscedar hotelnenana riversmall storegeneral storethai food truckcamp storepay showersrv sitespark entranceview of the rivermain officetwo double bedssmall balconytrain stationshort driveprivate bathtour group
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The place is next to the highway, the lots for the RV are not so big, no trees or anything cosy. Just some lots next to each other. Not a place where I would co back too ! I would rather stay in the camping area in Denali park ! Much nicer lots with beautiful views ! There was also a lot of noise form the buses who came to pick up the guests from the cabins/hotel, early in the morning untill late in the evening, they just let the enigin going all the time when waiting just behind the RV lots . Not nice at all when you are sitting at your diningtable outside on a warm summernight !

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed one night here like other visitors - no else to go. Did not expect much but the actual negative experience fulfilled the disappointment totally. The front desk greeted us with missing reservation, those two girls there blamed "somebody" put the wrong name after I contacted the booking agency. The fact that we booked another hotels & the tours for the rest of the trip at the same place came out correctly. Whose fault was it ? The cabin looks quite rustic, however, one of the main light did not work, the curtains were not long enough to cover the whole window, you can peak inside easily, and the bed facing a big window with a curtain significantly 3-4 inches short.
The cabin is located on a hill, you prepare to drag your luggage through the sand and the mud to get to the room. They do have one old van to bring your stuff up & down to the front desk if it's available. Those girls do not offer slightly more effort to help you, so count your luck, and take your own risk. Therefore the rent is way overprice with the quality of their service.

Room Tip: McKinley Village Lodge is fantastic.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank twn303
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed at the Cedar hotel addition, the place is rustic in a true park setting, with the trees and Nenana River as backdrop. The room itself was clean and comfortable with a private balcony, coffee maker, TV, ice, laundry available (pay), limited internet (free for only 30 mins), no mini-fridge or room safe. There is on-site Taxi service ($10 + $2 extra persons). Plus they have RV hookups, campground and cabins.

But you really need a car if you're staying here to get about, as there is only a small grocery/ liquor store on the premises but no restaurant or food services. Thank goodness you can cross the road and get to the McKinley Village Lodge, which is a bigger and more comprehensive complex offering full hotel amenities to the traveller - restaurant, free wi-fi, free shuttles, transportation, patio, lounge area etc.

We were on an NCL post-cruise Denali tour and they put us here for 2 nights, good thing that the NCL guide and bus driver agreed to take us to the main restaurants, shops and facilities up on Nenana Canyon. Not a fault of Grizzly Bear Lodge, but for the price we paid for the land-tour we should have received accommodation with better facilities from NCL.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Very unfortunately, I was booked into this place because every other hotel was full when I went to Denali. As I had never been to Denali, I based the hotel quality on the room price that I was charged. It was a whopping USD486 for 2 nights and so I assumed that with that kind of price per night, I would be getting a luxury room worthy of a 4 or 5 star rating.

When I arrived on the train, I had to go looking for the person who supposedly was there to meet me and take me to the Grizzly Bear Cabin. I searched for him for about 10 minutes until another person from another hotel kindly pointed him out to me because he was holding a piece of paper with Grizzly Bear Cabin written on it. No wonder I couldn't spot him with all the people at the station.

Then the next bad surprise was when I arrived at the location. The persons at the 'front office' didn't seem to know anything and didn't seem to care to help me with any information. Wifi was only free for 30 minutes for the whole of your stay there. After that, you have to pay. The room resembled a nice motel room, with hairdryer, etc. There was a balcony that looked out into the beautiful green hill, until I realised that it was where the train runs and so you can actually hear the train go by.

And while most hotels offer free shuttle service into town, I was told that it would cost me USD10 each time I ask to be transported anywhere. At USD243 a night, I was expecting at least great service. The Grizzly Bear Cabin has neither great service nor a great room and it is 6 miles outside of the town centre. I sincerely feel that they overcharge for the room. The Grizzly Bear is little more than a camping and RV parking zone.

Room Tip: Not tips here. Only tip: Don't stay in this place.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Michelle T
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed here in July as part of our visit to Denali NP. Because of the cruise tours, the hotels in this area book up quickly and we didn't have many choices that were reasonably priced. I booked the Grizzly Bear thinking it would be nice to stay in a rustic cabin in the woods. It was rustic all right, and it had trees around it, but it was NOT a quiet cabin in the woods. When I booked the reservation I was told the only available cabin had just a toilet and sink, no shower. That was OK, but what they didn't tell me until arrival was, the shower facilities cost 75 cents for 3 minutes, and if we didn't have quarters we were out of luck! The cabin was small but clean, except the sink smelled bad. The lighting was so bad I had to use a flashlight to read. When I made the reservation I specifically asked for a quiet cabin, and was assured that we would have one. Again when we checked in, I asked if the cabin was in a quiet area and was told Yes. This proved to be untrue. The cabin was right next to the highway, and the noise of buses and semis hurtling by at all hours of the day and night was ridiculous. We complained on the first day and were told they could not move us unless we wanted to pay for a much more expensive room. Plus the desk attendant made a snarky remark like, "this is Alaska, you can rough it for a couple of nights." After two nights of no sleep we departed at 6:00 AM the next morning, leaving a note at the office door asking for a refund of our third night (yes, we had to pay in full, in advance) because the cabin was not what they had promised us. Needless to say, we didn't get it. I'm all for finding low-cost accommodations, but this place is no bargain. I'd have had a better night's sleep in our rental car. Pay a little more and stay elsewhere, it's worth it.

Room Tip: Stay away from highway-side cabins unless you sleep like a log through anything.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple