“Great for activities or relaxation alike”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Skala Eresou
Neilson Aeolian Village Beachclub
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Skala Eresou
Heacham, United Kingdom
“Great for activities or relaxation alike”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I've been to various Greek islands over the years and I've been a sailor in the UK for some time, but I've never been on an activity like this before and I loved it!

My partner had been with a friend in September last year and suggested we all go together this year. We did and I wasn't disappointed at all. The activities are many and varied; they have tried hard so that any activity you wish to do does not clash with another, but it's not always successful admitedly. I opted for dinghy sailing as I wanted to get some of the RYA certificates, if only to catch up with my partner. I managed to get levels 2 and 3 in one week, having never been sailing solo previously.

I had a go at water-skiing, but to be honest it wasn't for me. I would have liked to try scuba diving, but couldn't fit it in. Maybe next time.

The staff were ever-smiling, friendly and helpful wherever you were, even walking to or from town. The Miss Lesvos entertainment was hilarious and Miss Bar certainly deserved to win with 'her' expert mime act.

The guys disappeared on mountain bikes one day and I took the opportunity to wander through the nearby village with my camera. We met up at the small but pretty harbour on the far side, quite by accident, and descended on the village square for a frape. The local restaurants were very reasonable and a welcome change form the hotel, although the food there is generous and delicious, it was nice to get out and about. I even managed to have my own 'Greek night' dancing in a local restaurant and a few free ouzos. Try the back street Souvlaki taverna if you want to keep costs down one evening. A special mention to Georgios and all his stagg for the great food in the hotel.

The beach was clean and popular. 'Reservations' for sun loungers had to be made very early in the morning or you wouldn't get a parasol, which really is needed by mid-day, even in June. I've never been much of a beach person before, always usually preferring to be in and out of a pool, but I was converted on this holiday. Even when relaxing with a book on the beach, it is hard not to miss the amount of activity taking place in front of your eyes.

If you only do it once, do it once, but do it! We're hoping to go back in September.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Arkdove

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Czech first
London
Reviewed July 31, 2011

This was our first Neilson holiday, having previously been with Mark Warner a few times. We were very pleased with the food, and accommodation, and the place had a much more easy going feel to it than MW. The staff were young and enthusiastic and less obviously recruited exclusively from Home Counties public schools - with a good mix of regional accents. Well done to Neilson for that, even if some of them did seem to forget at times that we were the ones that were supposed to be having the fun.

The water sports team, and equipment were the best I have come across, and the lesbian nudist beaches either side, added some interest..

The only thing that surprised me was the lack of security on site. Anyone could wander in and out, and there were no wrist-bands or other means of identifying legitimate guests from interlopers. My son left his new boat shoes on the grass, and they were gone when he got back. The loss was reported to the information desk, but the response was just a shrug of the shoulders. A bit too free and easy maybe.

Another warning if you are gong to go biking. The instructor is quite gung-ho and the routes demanding. I took a fall going down a steep sandy stretch and grazed my arm quite badly. It was my own fault, although it would have been good to have been told to use 70% front brake and 30% back brake before hurtling down the hill, rather than afterwards.. You have been warned.

The other thing that surprised me was the lack of a medical room at the hotel. The instructors do have basic first aid knowledge and material, but it's largely do it yourself really. Thankfully, as so often on these holidays, my group had a doctor in it - a plastic surgeon no less - who patched me up beautifully. Thanks Alistair - you're a gent!

But I don't want to whinge - these two incidents didn't stop us from having a great holiday - and I would go back.

2 Thank LonePool
West Sussex
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I won't repeat what I've read in all the other rave reviews. But anyone disappointed with this holiday is very very hard to please. The staff are almost without exception keen, friendly and happy. Yes they are young and party a lot but it didn't detract from their performance back at work. Credit to Thomas Cook for employing such a great gang of motivated and polite group of people.
Almost everything is good. Food, staff, sailing kit, bikes, ski boat etc. The bathroom could be newer. The television could be bigger, but I have to say I have no idea if ours even worked! The €20 charge per towel is just so two star hotel it beggars belief, but so what? Take your own, after all you don't need to pack much else. Skala Eresos is unbelievably chilled, reminded me of a far eastern distant island. It isn't cheap though, you'll pay UK prices for food and drink.

Overall a definite recommend to anyone who doesn't like just lying on a beach.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for a balcony, all rooms have one. Typical Tommy Cook scam.
7 Thank Alwayslooking
Newcastle
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Absolutely the best holiday my wife and I have ever had. Utterly first class active facilities, and really great food.

All the staff were brilliant. Special shout out to George the head chef, who was always willing to provide the recipe for some of the treats he provided, but especially to Rhiannon, who was simply amazing. Motivated and enthusiastic, she took my wife and I from never having stood on a windsurf to the stage where we couldn't help but spend every waking hour on the water, blasting around in a harness.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tccambs
Cheshire
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Booked a neilson holiday as our teenagers wanted to try this type of activity holiday. As parents who are no longer in their prime we thought that we would at least be able to sunbathe whilst they got physical, however, the sports were so varied and it was so easy to get involved that we did more than the teenagers! The activities on offer are enough to please everyone either on the water or on land and you really should try as many as possible to find out what you like, i.e all 4 of us started sailing but i didn't like and went to the fitness sessions instead and tried boxercise whilst the children progressed to their level 2 sailing certificate. Don't stick with something you don't like but try to cancel your booked sessions so someone else can use it.
Also, If you can see an activity planner (which outlines what's on going on and when) before you get to the resort then try to decide on what sports you want to try. This'll help you on the Sunday welcome meeting booking bunfight, when you have to rush around after the talk to try and book your sessions at different desks. Then you'll find that the tennis blue group is at the same time as beginners dingy sailing and it's also when the waterskiing slot is available!! If you're staying 2 weeks you'll be able to book sessions for week 2 before the newbies arrive and enjoy a much more relaxing and aptly named 'smug Saturday'.
Other things we wish we knew before going and might help you.
Although it's a beach resort beach towels are not provided and cost 10 euros each per week to rent. yes an extra 80 euros for a family of 4 after 2 weeks !!!! Take your own.
A kettle will be provided for 12 euros a week- it's wasn't worth it for the time we spent in the room and you know that tea doesn't taste the same abroad anyway.
You can't drink the tap water and drinking water is only provided free at meals - you'll need a lot of bottled water which pushes up the bill so buy in litre bottles either from the hotel shop or down town and decant it into smaller ones to put in your beach bags.
Buy drinks during happy hours and look out for BOGOF offers, cocktail of the day or week and wine of the week reductions. This may sound a bit penny pinching but we found prices in the resort and the local village high, even higher than the UK sometimes.

We had a great time but as noted by other reviewers the staff do take up seats, loungers and bars quite often and although there are some lovely staff members and it's great for guests who are young enough to say 'like' 10 times in a sentence to chat to them, those who pay the bills get rather grumpy would rather appreciate the spaces for paying guests. And finally the beaches either side of the resort are nudist beaches and (I know this point is rather obvious when you think of it) Lesbos is a mecca for lesbians (8000 can visit Skala Erresos in September festival) you will meet both on the beaches and in the village.

Room Tip: Choose room facing away from pool to be quiet & private but balcony gets hot. It can be a trek t...
4 Thank Tuftyhead
Kerry
Reviewed July 8, 2011

We had a brilliant two weeks in Lesvos, made great by the staff and activities on offer. We did it all, Tennis, Sailing, mountain biking, water ski etc. I failed at Winsurfing too much falling off for my liking!
Food was excellent although they could do with investing in a few fly Zappers around the food displays. But had no tummy upsets or anything like amongst the four of us.
Accomodation is fine - Basic but comfortable. Some place to hang clothes out to dry would be good as stuff kept falling off balcony.
As we were so active we were tired out at end of day and mostly had early nights but the Bar was pleasant.
The nearby village is lovely with lots of nice trendy places to eat right on the beach.
All in all no complaints would certainly go back and love Nielson!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank kruttl
England
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Have just returned from the Aeolian Village after another fabulous holiday with Neilsons. Last year we went to Teos, in Turkey and had a great time there, but this, if possible, was even better. The site is more spacious and the large beach area is really beautiful. You certainly have to make time to relax as there is always so much to do! Problems with my knees make it difficult to do the more strenuous activities but I was able to enjoy the sailing lessons, cycling, a catamaran joyride, kyaking, the exercise classes and a powerboat taster. There are always various classes of dinghy available for sailing and the beach staff are always on hand to rig them up for you. As with last year, I always think how really nice, helpful and friendly the young people who staff the resorts are.

On the Wednesday evening the entertainment was in the form of a 'Miss Lesvos' competition. It was a fundraising evening for a cancer charity and brought out some real talent among the young male members of staff who took part. 'Miss Spa' performed some great pirouettes as 'she' danced to Swan Lake then suddenly changed into a very clever act of robotics. The whole show was hilarious with a few tense minutes as we waited for 'Miss Dive' to free 'herself' from the ties to hands and ankles and emerge from the tank of water into which 'she' was lowered. It raised a substantial sum for the charity.

As always the dining experience was amazing. The choice at breakfast, lunch and dinner is unbelievable. As soon as George, the head chef, found out that I am coeliac there were freshly baked rolls for me every morning and a huge choice of desserts that I could eat - all made with corn flour. What a treat to eat filo pastry, all sorts of sponges and the most amazing chocolate truffle cake and cheesecake on the last evening. At every meal, George was on hand to tell me what I was able to eat, which really was most of the food apart from the pasta. The vegetable spring rolls were another special. I was thoroughly spoilt and a big thankyou must go to George and all the kitchen staff!

The small town of Skala Eressou is a pleasant 15 minute walk away and is full of little restaurants, many built on stilts over the beach so that you can sit and watch the sun go down over the sea. It is such a beautiful spot. On the way into the town you cross a bridge over a wetland conservation area and stopping to feed the turtles is a must. There are masses of them along with eels and fish. If you go down onto the beach where the fresh water from the creek is separated from the sea by a bar of sand, you can sit in the sand to feed the turtles who will come out of the water to take bread from your hands. They are greedy little fellas!

We ate in the town on two out of the three non-inclusive nights and enjoyed the change. Parasol, the cocktail bar is certainly worth a vist and the food at Aubergines is delicious. On the other evening we stayed on site for the Greek Evening which we thought was good value and we enjoyed the Greek dancing.

The transfer to and from the resort is about 2 hours but it is an opportunity to take in the scenery and do a bit of bird spotting. I slept most of the way there but enjoyed the trip back to the airport. There were some very tight bends going through one of the hillside towns which must take a great deal of skill on the part of the driver. After checking your bag in at the little airport you can go and sit by the sea or in one of the taverna's until you see your plane arriving. It certainly beats sitting in airport departure lounges!

Overall another great holiday and we will certainly be doing another!

Room Tip: Did not use the spa or pool.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Theofilos Paradise Boutique Hotel
Pyrgos of Mytilene
Pyrgos of Mytilene
#2 of 6 in Mytilene

Been to Neilson Aeolian Village Beachclub? Share your experiences!