Kandy Samadhi Centre
  • Restaurant
The Kandy House(Amunagama)
Grand Kandy Villa(Sirimalwatta)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsayurvedic treatmentsthe riveroil lampsyoga sessionssri lankaclay potsenormous roomhoneymoon suitemud huthome grownnature resortunique placejungle settingoff the beaten tracktea plantationantique furniturelocal community
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We went there to spend the first two days of our Honeymoon. There were so many reviews that warned the visitors on road conditions. But we were managed to reach there in a car without any major trouble. Do not worry much about the road conditions if its not a rainy season.
You'll love the place like we do. Food was simple, but excellent. We loved the soup which was served with rotty. I would say that, the oil lamp lit dinner was one of the most impressive times we spent in our Honeymoon.
Room was great. We stayed at the mountain pavilion, one of the best areas of the resort. Bathroom and the room arrangements were good and we stayed comfortably. It was so calm and quiet, ideal place for those who look for freedom. It was just us and the nature.
A big thank to Waruna (the owner) and the staff (Suranga, Lawrence, Wijerathne and all others) for making our stay at Samadhi, a life time memory. Samadhi nature resort is one of the best experiances in terms of the service.
It's in the top of our destinations list. We will certainly, visit this place once again.

Room Tip: All the rooms are unique to each other. Mountain pavilion is best with its sarroundings. But select it only if you do not mind climbing or walking five minutes before and after your meals.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We spent two days here. We loved the place and the food; rice and curry was fabulous, especially the vegetable curries; could have easily done without the fish and meat. The oil lamp lit dinners were a great experience.

Great paths for walking although a few parts were a bit too steep for comfort. Many trees and wooded areas especially around the meditation hall.

Our lodgings at the Mountain Pavilion were comfortable and a very spacious sit out area with a great view of the mountains. This was perhaps the cream of the lodgings.

Great for bird watchers. Our identified sightings were:- Ceylon Grey Hornbill, Grey Tit, Black Bulbul, Southern Hill Myna, Dusky Blue Flycatcher, Tickells Flycatcher, Yellow Fronted Barbet, Yellow Browed Bulbul, White bellied Drongo, Pompadour green Pigeon, Emerald Dove, Brown headed Barbet, Lotens Sunbird, Scarlet Minivet, Asian Paradise Flycatcher, Common Myna, Common Iora, Rose ringed Parakeet, Common Tailor Bird, Crested Serpent Eagle, Oriental White Eye, Red vented Bulbul, Golden fronted Leaf Bird, Ceylon Jungle Fowl, White breasted Kingfisher, Black rumped Flameback (red woodpecker) and White browed Bulbul. There were many other birds that we could not identify. The Giant Squirrel was a frequent sighting.

We did not have enough time to enjoy a river bath although we spent some time by the river-side. Also missed out on the close by water fall. Perhaps another good reason for us to return for another restful and rejuvenating holiday.

Would recommend this place to anyone wishing a restful holiday and also for birdwatching.

Srikumar

Room Tip: The Mountain Pavilion is the best; very large sit out area, a great view and more privacy. The other rooms are lower down on the hillside.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2012

The Samadhi is a true nature resort in all senses. Placed in a forested area, one can see that it was slowly built with great respect for the surrounding nature and with minimum impact. All villas are built out of natural materials and decorated in a simple but exquisite and charming manner. I was truly impressed with the architecture of every villa and the efficient and elaborate re-usage of quality materials from older constructions and temples. Rooms are minimally adorned with the necessary furniture, allowing for ample space. There are no tv sets, mini bars, hair driers, computers or phones (except for the reception, of course) here. This is the place for true relaxation in complete contact with nature. Villas are very far apart from each other, allowing for total privacy. Hotel grounds are ample with beautiful views of the forest and mountains. You go to sleep at the sound of crickets and frogs and wake up at the sound of birds singing. There is artificial (electrical) lighting to be used whenever needed in rooms, but at night the hotel is illuminated by oil lamps, including the restaurant. This gave us a sense of calm and peace.

The food, cooked by Anula and Aberatna (forgive me if spelling is incorrect), was absolutely delicious! We ate Sri Lankan food every single day and were wonderfully surprised by every single meal. Even the jack fruit curry, though it may sound a bit strange, was amazing! Not to mention how kind both cooks were, especially with our daughter who enjoyed stopping by the kitchen to observe Anula cooking.

We had arrived from an unpleasant experience in the Maldives (see review) and at the Samadhi we had the exact opposite experience. We were received late at night with a light and delicious complete dinner prepared. We were asked to fill up the check-in form only the following day, after we had rested. This welcoming reception was enough for us to realize that it had been well worth the 4-hour ride from the airport.

Samadhi is a wonderful place for those who want to swim in the river, hike, read, write, relax, have Ayurvedic massage, meditate, do yoga or photograph. I have a passion for photography and fell so much in love for this place that I could not stop finding amazing angles for great photography (too bad I only brought a little semi-manual Leica with me). Nature photography would also be definitely interesting to do.

Our 6-year old daughter also enjoyed every single minute at Samadhi. She discovered new animals every day: butterflies, colorful dragonflies, fireflies, crickets, one scorpion, frogs, birds, bats, nibbling fish, monkeys, caterpillars, and even observed a chameleon change its colors.

I would like to send our endless thanks to Waruna and Yumi for receiving us with their open arms. Our conversations were particularly very enjoyable. We'll definitely be back!

Thanks to Lawrence for our special dinner one night, for his kindness and that of Atula's and Surnga's as well. Thanks to Anula and Aberatna for the wonderful meals. Thanks to the 3 ladies who cleaned our rooms and who always were so genuine with their beautiful smiles, and to Bandara and Supayah. All of you made our stay all the more special. Samadhi would not be as wonderful without you.

We'll see you again! All the best from us :)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Samardhi is exceptional. Not good, not excellent, exceptional. On all levels. The attention to detail in aesthetics- the rammed earth structure of buildings, juxtopose extraordinary antiques, surrounded by lush terraced garden landscape, it's beautiful. It's peaceful. It's life changing.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I spent four days here on a writer's retreat. I ate, did yoga in the amazing pavillion on top of the mountain, meditated looking out, before and after, over the hills, had I've restoring Ayurvedic massage, slept, and wrote thousands of words per day. Couldnt have been better, really. The food is tasty and local, some of which comes from the carefully designed grounds, and great for the body. The beautiful grounds are also smart ecologically, with long water troughs patrolled by larvae eating fish. Seemed to work as I had no experience of mosquitoes and no poisonous chemicals around. Had a great tour of the grounds with Lawrence, a very gracious host who works there, and learned a lot about the various trees and pants they cultivate there to season the food or, in the case of the fruit trees, grow for your dinner. It is also a beautiful quiet place to walk where you meet, as everywhere in Sri Lanka, gracious friendly people. Uncle became a dinner companion and we traded great stories of our adventures around the world. When I arrived, I was tired and frazzled. When I left, I was refreshed, well rested, and had passed my quota for catching up on the writing I came there to do. Perhaps it was the lamplit tables at night, or the antique desk at which I wrote or the four poster bed I slept in. Actually, I suspect, it was the careful planning for a total experience from the resort's remarkable creator.

Room Tip: Tell them exactly what you want, whether solitude, view, nearness to yoga pavilion, nearness to restaurant. Did I mention they wil bring tea to your room whenever you Ike?
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo