“Elegant & Relaxing”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of GK Beach Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kalyves
GK Beach Hotel
Swanage, United Kingdom
“Elegant & Relaxing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

An elegant and relaxing hotel in the pretty and authentically cretan town of Kalives. The friendly and attentive staff made me most welcome; I loved the immaculate pool amid beautiful gardens right on the beach.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

This was my sixth time on the Island of Crete and my Fiance's first. I'd been both to the east and west sides of the island and this time, as we both really needed a break, we opted for the quieter west side. This is a Simpson Travel exclusive hotel and the guys at Simpson travel barely put a foot wrong. When I go on holiday I really just want it to be as stress free as possible and Simpson Travel do actually do their best to achieve this. I assume this starts with the speedy boarding deal they have with easy jet, we didn't know we had it but it seemed to be included in the price, this was one of the minor details that Simpson Travel omitted to tell us of which more later – not a massive problem but worth noting here in case you decide to go with them.
The rep was there to meet us at Heraklion airport as promised and the car rental pick up was painless and swift. I know the island quite well so I knew the general direction to the hotel, which was just as well as the directions we were given were last years and due to a new road being built in Kalyves, meant that we went the wrong way and got a bit lost - again no big drama but not an ideal start. The hotel was lovely. Clean, nicely decorated and positioned in amazing gardens right next to the beach. The pool area, with restaurant and bar were exceptional as were the hotel staff, especially Georgia, Tonia and Demitri the chef. We really felt among friends almost as soon as we arrived. We went very early in the season so the hotel was blissfully quiet and we found ourselves almost alone at breakfast - which was superb. As I mentioned, we hired a car (which was included in the price for May) which I really think you'll need as Kalyves is a small village and you will want to go further afield to Chania and Rethymnon. The Simpson reps were marvelous and unlike some holiday companies were always on site during the day and were always ready to help with trips, maps, books and anything you needed really. Not too much else to say apart from it was a thoroughly enjoyable holiday in a fantastic location, with really nice people and great weather.
There were a couple of other minor errors like Simpson Travel's directions to Chania airport on the way back when we were going to Heraklion - luckily I knew the way but some of our fellow travelers got very lost – and the scheduled power cut that the guests knew nothing about, in fairness it was thought that the generator would provide power but it didn't, and as I was in the shower at the time of being plunged into darkness, there could have been a nasty accident. On the whole though I put this down to misunderstandings and early season rustiness. One more thing, it did say there were iPhone docking stations in all accommodation - there wasn't in our suite (5M) but the WiFi signal was strong because we were directly above the rep's office. This can get noisy during the day as a result so I wouldn't choose this suite again.
The only other thing was we really could have done with a full length mirror, there was just one small one on the wall. I don't ever usually have the urge to return to a location but I think we will definately go back again - if not to GK then definately somewhere with Simpson Travel. A really nice place to relax.

Room Tip: Hire a car. 5M is above the rep office and can be noisy in the day. If you're going in the s...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LondonLozzza
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

My wife and I brought our 1 year old daughter here on the recommendation of a friend. We were delighted with everything about the trip. The transfer from the airport was quite quick and the welcome we received was very friendly, including a generous welcome food pack. The room had a cot and baby bath supplied. We were on a ground floor apartment which opened up onto a safe garden area and a few meters from the main pool. The food and drink available from the pool side bar was good but there is also really nice restaurants a short walk from the hotel, one along the beach and a few more within a few hundred meters towards the town. There is also a well stocked supermarket a 5 minute walk from the hotel. The pool was nice and never too busy and there was a small shaded kids pool that our daughter spent most of her holiday in. We had a great holiday and would have no reservations recommending the GK Beach Hotel for a relaxed family holiday with young kids.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank aidan_kenny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

Myself, wife and 8 month old daughter stayed here for a week.

Everything was on our doorstep including a beautiful beach which from our room to standing on it took no longer than 5 minutes.

The room was very clean and had everything we needed, the staff were very helpful and friendly and as it was our first holiday abroad with our baby daughter meant allot to us.

We will def go back again and would recommend the GK beach Hotel to anyone with our without children.

• Stayed September 2011
3 Thank RichC1976
Brazil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Galazio Kima, a self–catering hotel in Crete, in a village called Kalives. We stayed for about 7 nights. We went with Simpson Travel Agency and they did a terrific job in assisting us with one of the best holidays we have ever had in our entire life.
Our stay could not have been better: the place is very cosy and quiet and we felt as if we were at home. The hotel staff are really friendly and helpful, doing their best to assist us in everything we asked for.
The rooms are very clean and comfortable, with very good space. There are double and single beds, facilities for cooking, table, everything we needed. The bathroom is quite spacious with a good shower in it. There is also a lovely balcony. From there, we were able to sit and relax while we watched, astonished, the beauty of the sunset or the sunrise over the deep blue Mediterranean ocean. It is worth remembering that at this part of the ocean, it is surrounded by hills where the sun and moon seem to appear and hide. What a view! We would stay there for hours, drinking the wine, eating feta cheese, some pasta and the honey that the travel agency so kindly provided to our room!
The outside area is also lovely: all gardened, with flowers, grass all over and even a vineyard, with sweet grapes, in the parking area (I don’t know if we were allowed to eat the grapes but I ate a lot and they were the best I ever had!).
The hotel can be booked for either couples or families, since it has a good structure for both. It has a great swimming pool which is quite large and facing the ocean, with area for kids to play and also a complete bar, where you can order all kind of drinks, some food and snacks and then, with all at hand, you can just sit, next to the pool or facing the ocean, in one of the many beach chairs, available in the hotel. We were able to bath in the Mediterranean for the first time, and we remember that the water was warm, except when the current brings some water from a river close by, and with transparent water there are fish to see, but it’s a bit cold! Although since the weather was really hot, it was even refreshing!
The hotel has many facilities, including massages, if you want to relax even more. There is a considerably big supermarket and many restaurants just 500 meters distance from the hotel. It’s not far from Chania, some of the main cities in Crete. It is very busy there and not quiet at all, but worth seeing. We went there by bus and it was very pleasant. It is a very secure place; we were able to walk around at any time of the day or night.
From the hotel, we were able to get to some historical places, especially the Knossos temple, which was the setting of the Minotaur legend. We were assisted by Simpson Travel Agency staff who provided us with information, maps and we even rented a car.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Fabilation
Buckinghamshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

My wife and I spent a fantastic week at the GK Beach Hotel with our 3 year old daughter. We found the accommodation clean, and provided everything we needed.

We requested a ground floor apartment, and Simpson Travel were only too happy to oblige. The back door of the apartment opened out onto the greenery behind, allowing our daughter space to play out on the grass with other children, whilst my wife and I were able to read on the small 'terrace' area (like a ground-floor balcony!) and keep an eye on her.

The pool area provided plenty of sun-loungers, a great little children's pool, and a lovely bar that served good-value light snacks.

The proximity of the sandy beach to the apartments was a definite positive (literally a stone's throw), as too was the view from the terrace whilst enjoying a nice cold beer of an evening.

Whilst we'd recommend this resort to families, we'd also recommend it to anyone who wanted to stay somewhere unpretentious, unspoilt, and within easy reach of more busy restaurants and bars.

Room Tip: Families - request a ground floor room with doors that open onto the grassed area (I think all groun...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank john u
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

Had a amazing time at GK Beach Hotel, the staff at Simpson travel were amazing, from departure from London to the arrival in crete I was looked after really well. I went to crete in Mid September and thought it would be cold I was wrong it was a really nice temperture and the Hotel is a Sun trap fantastic weather!!! The Hotel Had its own part of the beach which was really nice and it was really not crowded and was very relaxing. The GK Beach Hotel room was great and on arrival had a bottle of Wine and food for us on arrival, which we had on our own private terrace facing the sea. The cafe near the pool was fantastic with great food, all the staff were really helpful and friendly. The great thing about this Hotel is its in a quieter spot which is really nice to walk into the village and have a coffee in the village centre. I would recommend this Hotel to anyone who want to relax and wants a stress free holiday as Simpson travel take care of all of this. I hope to be able to get back to this Hotel in the future was one of the best getaway holidays I have had in awhile.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank pgtips1974
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalyves
Kalyves Beach Hotel
Kiani Beach Resort
Kiani Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Kalami
Porto Kalyves Hotel Seaside Apartments

Been to GK Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!